What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Sun God Grandmaster...WTF

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
Have you ever played as Kotal in a matchup against an experienced GM and tried using parry against ice balls and clones? Not everyone has Madzin-like godly parry skills. I feel like I'm quite good with parry actually and I eat about one in every four ice balls. Considering how often ice balls are spammed, that's a lot of full combo punishes against Kotal and that's hard to recover from.
This made me cringe, a scrub telling a competitive player a couple of things he most certainly doesn't know :DOGE
Let me tell you something that you don't know, if you have issues with performing a move in any fighting game then the best course of action would be to PRACTICE said move till you get it 100% of the time.
Please follow this post with the appropriate GIT GUD SCUB memes.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
All this talk made me remember the tech where you could run up on a clone, and then block right as you touched it to make it go away. Does that still exist? Sun/Blood God's might have to learn that shit if they want to get in on a GMSZ.
As a sub main since mk1 i want to hate on that tech vut u right smfh . #jelly oh i am a gm main since negative 3 day (prior to launch)hehe.
Also this reminds me of umk when u jump in a clone press block and ure standing in the clone

mattnin

Noob
This made me cringe, a scrub telling a competitive player a couple of things he most certainly doesn't know :DOGE
Let me tell you something that you don't know, if you have issues with performing a move in any fighting game then the best course of action would be to PRACTICE said move till you get it 100% of the time.
Please follow this post with the appropriate GIT GUD SCUB memes.
You have no idea who I am, what competitive level I play at, or what competitions I've been to kiddo. Go back into the basement of your mommy house and level up some more.

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
You have no idea who I am, what competitive level I play at, or what competitions I've been to kiddo. Go back into the basement of your mommy house and level up some more.
Isn't that the point that RVB tried to make habibi? I and probably a large amount of users here have no idea who you are, what competitive level you play, or what competitions that you've been to. Yet you telling a well known competitive player as if he don't know what he's talking about.

Reactions: RVB

mattnin

Noob
Isn't that the point that RVB tried to make habibi? I and probably a large amount of users here have no idea who you are, what competitive level you play, or what competitions that you've been to. Yet you telling a well known competitive player as if he don't know what he's talking about.
Want to hear a coincidence? Go watch the Madzin video posted earlier in this thread. Madzin exactly parries three times and his fourth parry he eats a projectile.... The announcer even makes a comment about it.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Have you ever played as Kotal in a matchup against an experienced GM and tried using parry against ice balls and clones? Not everyone has Madzin-like godly parry skills. I feel like I'm quite good with parry actually and I eat about one in every four ice balls. Considering how often ice balls are spammed, that's a lot of full combo punishes against Kotal and that's hard to recover from.
If you can't do it, and yet pro players can, you now know one of the aspects you need to work on to improve your Kotal.

Level up, don't just vent about it brother. The tools are there and easily sharp enough to do the job, just because you haven't mastered how to use them correctly is not reason to ask for them to be made sharper.

It's literally irrelevant, you could be Sonic Fox and still be wrong, or you can be an absolute scrub and still be correct.

Unfortunately for you, you just happen to be neither Sonic Fox, or correct, so maybe just focus on level'ing up.

I do agree however that you have every right to question a tournament player or absolutely ANYONE else on this board, half the vets are dedicated agenda pushers anyway, so let's let logic and facts speak for our arguments, and not just turn this board into a popularity contest. If people wanna just overrule in favour of players you respect, then there is a place for this and you can go fanboy hard as you like in the crowd at events, however this forum is the place for competitive discussion among other things, this is the right place to make someone support their perspective if you have reasons why you think it's wrong, if someone wants to post an opinion, it's really not unfair to adress that and expect them to explain it without seeing people fallback on the "tournhament playa" card in liue of actually using logic and a supporting argument to defend the statements. People need to stop dickriding tournament players on this site, its appalling lol

Last edited:

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
Want to hear a coincidence? Go watch the Madzin video posted earlier in this thread. Madzin exactly parries three times and his fourth parry he eats a projectile.... The announcer even makes a comment about it.
And that's as far as you'll come to being at a competitive level... kiddo:joker:

mattnin

Noob
If you can't do it, and yet pro players can
Are you just a fuckin troll and not reading the previous posts but commenting anyway? In case your not a troll, I'll explain it to you again. In my humble attempt to explain the difficulty of using parry against projectiles, I said I eat about one in four parry attempted projectiles. After watching the Madzin video again and counting his parry vs projectile attempts I point out that he also ate one in four. That is exactly the same ratio I described earlier, and he is a pro. So are you trolls going to blast me for that again? Lol

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
Are you just a fuckin troll and not reading the previous posts but commenting anyway? In case your not a troll, I'll explain it to you again. In my humble attempt to explain the difficulty of using parry against projectiles, I said I eat about one in four parry attempted projectiles. After watching the Madzin video again and counting his parry vs projectile attempts I point out that he also ate one in four. That is exactly the same ratio I described earlier, and he is a pro. So are you trolls going to blast me for that again? Lol
do he really have to do 4 in 4 or parry the projectile all the time to make your opinion obsolete habibi? In all moves that being performed in a fighting game there's always a margin of error, that can be reduced by training or by gaining experiences in a match. The question is that is it doable continuously? And is it really easy to do? If both of the answer is yes, I guess that makes the argument of yours kinda obsolete.

Last edited:

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Parrying might be difficult. But you can't consider user error.

Some people thought Kabal's NDC's were difficult, and they'd eat full combo punishes. Meanwhile Detroit, Reo, etc, would rip them off like it was nothing. Ability to pull something off can make a huge difference.

mattnin

Noob
Parrying might be difficult. But you can't consider user error.
When some trolls come in here and call us scrubs and say the projectile is slow as fuck and getting told to level up when I point out the difficulty with Parry, you better believe I'll highlight and demonstrate the likelihood of user error. I showed in the exhibition matchup video that Madzin has the same difficulty when he had to eat his fourth parry vs projectile attempt which by coincidence is exactly what I said earlier saying I fail in my parries at about 1:4. I bet other Kotal mains feel they have about the same amount of luck.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
Considering recovery time on parry leaves you open to full combo punish or free projectile hit, there's too much risk for not much reward. So you stop the chip dmg, and get a short buff, what exactly are you gonna do with that buff from distance? Best you can do is ex sunstone but since it's slow, it will be blocked by anyone who isn't mindlessly spamming their projectiles. Best tactic is the old fashioned way, make your way in bit by bit neutral ducking, blocking, running. Parrying fast projectiles is just gimmikzsz.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Being able to parry occasionally vs a GM Sub is an option in the MU, not an answer to the MU. I'm not taking either side of the argument and insults and such above.. I have my opinions but they will stay mine because this thread isn't about that.

Parrying is difficult. Even pros miss parrys.. Watch , I can't remember how its spelled, but Louffee's Rose in SF4. Evo champ and best Rose in the world and he borks parrys in tournaments.

So, here is the pattern I'm seeing in the GM MU.. Patience and solid play. Several people have posted various options Kotal has vs GM Sub, then several others have torn those options down because Sub has to either make a mistake for that option to be viable, or Sub has options against that option..

However. Everyone makes mistakes. I don't care what the pros THINK or that people who worship them want to say 'well at the highest level Sub will never make a mistake allowing.. Blah, blah. Or a at the highest level Sub will always choose this option automatically to counter your option vs whateveritwashedid.

Real matches don't exactly play out like that. Watch any tournament ever, forever... And not a single set goes by, often times barely a ROUND goes by, where someone doesn't make a mistake. They drop a combo, input error, fail to punish something they should have punished, flat out do the wrong thing, botch a read, screw up a hit confirm..

Everyone makes mistakes, guesses wrong, misses a punish or gets out-thought/played.

Now, I'm not advocating that Kotals winning gameplan vs GM Sub is to wait for him to drop a combo or something. What I'm saying is even the best players screw up, so Kotals gameplan should be to arm himself with as many potential options as possible - many discussed here - and go in to the MU.understanding that he must be patient, he must hang back and wait for his chances. He must do everything he can to frustrate Sub and disable him, while enabling himself and waiting for when he has a good read he's really confident in and bet the farm on it, or until Sub, frustrated by the patience and caution, fails to be either himself and does something Kotal and capitalize on.

This is aa losing MU for SG Kotal, outside of magic tech being discovered, that's just how it is. There doesn't seem to be a 'winning' option here - just a handful of options that all revolve around Kotal outplaying or Sub underplaying the. That's it, that's the reality of it. I still hope people continue to discuss what both characters can do in various situations but there are no perfect answers. We (seriously, this thread has made me a Kotal main) as Kotal players have to accept that and a ourselves to push SG as far as we can in the MU with the knowledge its always going to be in Subs favor unless we switch to WG, where its more or less even (or so I understand).

To end this post.. I know TYM is designed to discuss MU's at the absolute highest level, but there is still a difference in that discussion vs the 'on paper' discussion. Because realistically, the guys actually playing at the highest possible level aren't here asking for this information.. Nor will 99% of my matches against GM Subs be the best Subs in the world. That being the case, tech that works against mid-level opposition IS valueble provided it is LISTED AS SUCH.

An example being.. As Decapre , I frequently use lp.rapid daggers in the nuetral. It being punishable by nothimg outside of cmd grabs, and even then when spaced right its still safe. I throw this out knowing it will be blocked. After the string ends, I simply pause aa teeeeeny moment, and then Stinger (or.one of a few.options). This simple technique is good once at a high level, but at intermediate and lower levels, I get mileage out of this like its an 88 Honda Civic.

I use that as a simple example of top 8 useless tech that will get you far in pools. (Tourny lingo used for illustration purposes not to be taken as literal, calm your tits).

This site is focused on competive and not casual play, but there are many more aspects to competive play than just winners finals.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Wow I was polite as hell and even supported you in aspects and defended the hell out of you even against some people I really like on here like RVB, and your response is assholish abuse because I don't agree with the entirety of your arguments. Nevermind, you can live in perpetual scrubbery.
I suggest you rethink your definition of trolling btw. Responding to statements made in a specific post isn't trolling just because I didn't read the entirety of a friggin thread. Flipping into outbursts or rage instead of discussing your perspective like an adult could well fit the definition however.

Regardless, I did read the entirety of the thread, and all that makes is your posts completely self-contradictory. You can't argue that the difficulty is too high and that you can't land it as much as Madzin, and then also argue that Madzin has the exact same success ratio you do and that proves that it's no good. Because these are the two arguments you put forth, I just responded to one of them - you can't defend that statement by saying "well the other argument I'm making completely contradicts that, l2read are you a fucking troll " lol. It just makes you a moron.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Kotal HURTS when he touches you. He is basically a two touch character.. So, if you DO land a parry and you CAN capitalize on it,there's a good chance you will put a lot of fear in to Sub and he's going to be wayy less willing to spam projectiles without a clear purpose.

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
I'm kinda confused here about the parry arguments in this thread. If it's about sub's iceball can't kotal just neutral duck or block it? it's zero chip.
but if it's klone throw, there's a chance kotal might want to parry it, but even if the parry is missed, sub's can't get any full kombo there, and how often can sub throw a klone?

mattnin

Noob
Can you not just ex sunlight, sit in it, parry all projectiles/clone tosses and build meter with whiff air grab while running away?
Surely GM must be a match where ex sunlight is really useful.
Also, if you cant parry an iceball, thats your fault lol thats slow as fuck.

Aaaaaaaaaaand, I play Madzins Kotal alot, and he's 1 of the best you guys have soooooo...
This^^^
GM players telling us how we should be using parry and the trolls calling us scrubs and to level it up and parry like the pros. That's their argument.

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
This^^^
GM players telling us how we should be using parry and the trolls calling us scrubs and to level it up and parry like the pros. That's their argument.
so maybe start practicing parry and do it like the pros habibi? it's still better than complaining about human error in performing the said parry.

mattnin

Noob
Regardless, I did read the entirety of the thread, and all that makes is your posts completely self-contradictory. You can't argue that the difficulty is too high and that you can't land it as much as Madzin, and then also argue that Madzin has the exact same success ratio you do and that proves that it's no good.
See, I don't think you really read or understood the posts because you think I'm being contradictory! Yes, at first, after being called scrub and told to level up because I'm saying how difficult parry is to use after being told we should use it in this matchup, I admitted to my mediocracy and thought that my parries weren't near Madzin's level. I feel like I'm good at them but I admitted to and said I miss about one in four parries and I get hell shit on for that and told to level up. Then after going back and watching Madzin's video, I found he has about the same success rate. So why are you arguing with me about that?

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
See, I don't think you really read or understood the posts because you think I'm being contradictory! Yes, at first, after being called scrub and told to level up because I'm saying how difficult parry is to use after being told we should use it in this matchup, I admitted to my mediocracy and thought that my parries weren't near Madzin's level. I feel like I'm good at them but I admitted to and said I miss about one in four parries and I get hell shit on for that and told to level up. Then after going back and watching Madzin's video, I found he has about the same success rate. So why are you arguing with me about that?
video? singular? so you can deduce madzin's parry success ratio based on one video?
if it's plural, how many videos that you watch? can you tell us how to count the parry success ratio? it seems interesting:D

mattnin

Noob
so maybe start practicing parry and do it like the pros habibi? it's still better than complaining about human error in performing the said parry.
You have no idea how bad I can't wait to level up parry more now because of this thread and so I can bring some death to all GM trolls

mattnin

Noob
video? singular? so you can deduce madzin's parry success ratio based on one video?
if it's plural, how many videos that you watch? can you tell us how to count the parry success ratio? it seems interesting:D
I highlighted the only Kotal video in this thread and the first one I could find. It's not all entirely comprehensive. Have any more points?