What's new

GGA Wafflez Wins Mortal Kombat 9 at Final Round 16 + Going to the Video X Games!

This is utter bull shit. I do not understand this at all. I swear that this game has become random. No wonder Pig Of The Hut has quit. And now I am contemplating quitting too and never playing again. How could Wafflez possibly win a local tournament much less a major tournament with 60+ participants? This guy has no fundamental game whatsoever. All he does is spam d+4, run away, and fish for resets. He is a coward and a despicable human being.
theres no excuses if you lose to sektor with kenshi, it happens do better a the next... i know your probably kidding when you say he has no fundamentals and what not, however its still a very ironic statement, considering you are lacking in such areas yourself as a player.

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
Haha, I was waiting for your reply to my troll but I just need to tell you to stop right there. Yes. Stop. Your train of thought has gone so far off the beaten and correct path that you're confused; so let me help you find your way back, because the realization of one's self-inflated ego can lead to needlessly stubborn misunderstandings:

"If you for one second think that i'm jealous of his reptile, your ridiculous."

Talk about taking things out of context. Let's take one more look at the wording of my sentence, so you can comprehend the statement a bit more.

I said:
"Bunch of attention jealous socialites."
Note the usage of the word "attention" before the word "jealous." Everyone was commending Chris G on his performance. There were some exaggerations made about him being the 'best' reptile, which I disagree with as he's not a consistent MK player like most of us here, but his performance was still laudable.

It was at this point you needlessly stepped up on the defensive and proclaimed yourself to be the superior Reptile player, as though you had something to prove (Which you didn't, we know you're a good Reptile player and MK player in general). I must remind you, you were not a participant in this particular tournament. In another reality, you may have been, and you probably would have gone further than Chris G did (Or eliminated sooner, who knows?) but there's really no need to try to steal another's spotlight because that is a display of arrogance at it's finest.

Let's cut out all of this 'he said she said' business and get straight to the meat of the matter: I never said you were jealous of someone else's reptile. You don't need to get on the defensive just because others were commending a truly credible performance (and rightly so).

Also, I'm calling it bragging because it is. Let me help remind you in case you've forgotten what the word means:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=brag

Seraph out.
Dude the way you just baited a rise out of MIT and then totally jumped on him for responding... that's so weak. Passive aggressive as all hell. Every sentence reeks of stupid arrogance.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Congrats Waffles, sure shows the level of players we have out there right now when players like Pig and Dink don't even get out of pools.

Haha, I was waiting for your reply to my troll but I just need to tell you to stop right there. Yes. Stop. Your train of thought has gone so far off the beaten and correct path that you're confused; so let me help you find your way back, because the realization of one's self-inflated ego can lead to needlessly stubborn misunderstandings:

"If you for one second think that i'm jealous of his reptile, your ridiculous."

Talk about taking things out of context. Let's take one more look at the wording of my sentence, so you can comprehend the statement a bit more.

I said:
"Bunch of attention jealous socialites."
Note the usage of the word "attention" before the word "jealous." Everyone was commending Chris G on his performance. There were some exaggerations made about him being the 'best' reptile, which I disagree with as he's not a consistent MK player like most of us here, but his performance was still laudable.

It was at this point you needlessly stepped up on the defensive and proclaimed yourself to be the superior Reptile player, as though you had something to prove (Which you didn't, we know you're a good Reptile player and MK player in general). I must remind you, you were not a participant in this particular tournament. In another reality, you may have been, and you probably would have gone further than Chris G did (Or eliminated sooner, who knows?) but there's really no need to try to steal another's spotlight because that is a display of arrogance at it's finest.

Let's cut out all of this 'he said she said' business and get straight to the meat of the matter: I never said you were jealous of someone else's reptile. You don't need to get on the defensive just because others were commending a truly credible performance (and rightly so).

Also, I'm calling it bragging because it is. Let me help remind you in case you've forgotten what the word means:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=brag

Seraph out.
uh this long post was quite meaningless and pointless, but hey whatever makes you happy. I dnt need to steal anyone's spotlight, because i'm well capable of putting myself in the spotlight in tournaments. So i'll just end it like this, just wait till my next tournament :).

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
Great performance by Wafflez. WoundCowboy and FCP/EMP SCAR more than solidified their spots among the MK elite. Mr. Mileena was fantastic placing 9th, and on another day could've won it all.

And finally... Please note how I called the insane performance by pimpimjim. Victories over Pig and Chris G, COME ON NOW. I could not believe the number of fools in stream who did not know this guy or know that he is a Sektor. FORECAST CALLS FOR MISSILES; IT'S SEKTOR BABY!

Not only was this tournament entertaining but it has inspired some other awesome players to play more, so for that I am doubly grateful.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
A player's choices are very limited, and their best defense is breaker. Because even if you can successfully read or predict a familiar string or a move (for example, Cage's shadow kick, which for some bizarre reason NRS decided to make unduckable and attack full screen effectively eliminating reads or requiring thoughtful play), you are still taking damage and without dp like moves that have fast start up you are at the mercy of the game, unless your character can simply overpower your opponent with strings or moves with strong priority. In MK, options are insanely limited--more limited when tons of moves are universal, especially normals.
You realize that shadow kick is full combo punishable on block right? it's not a move you use on read that much anyways. It's something you use to blow through projectiles on wakeup or close out a round for the most part. Or for chipping out an opponent if they are near magic pixel. The mixup is simply whether or not they are blocking or trying to press a button. It's just a fast advancing special and can be used as a wakeup attack. It's a simple concept I think. As the opponent, you have to respect it on wakeup if you're anywhere near low on life which allows them to get away with some other crap Cage has. That's the mind game there.

It's hard for me to justify that mk9 is bad based on your argument considering your argument is based off of what you think you know about the game. And you just demonstrated that your knowledge of the game is pretty low. I'm not saying this with a condescending tone. I meant this as a demonstration to you that there is a good argument for why you should either give it more of a looking into, or at least hesitate on the criticism when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
( only reason I went is cus she wanted me to play pig after she saw the thread.. lol )
So I'm assuming this means you won extra 'brownie points' for both winning the match and then chivalrously leaving the tournament on her behalf. Ohhhh yeah.

*Cues Barry White and a bouquet of roses*

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Fighting games would get
boring if they never evolved (Like Street Fighter / Tekken, cough cough).

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Shadow Kick is supposed to be a damn read. That's the entire point/gamble of the move. You either had to devise a plan and land it in a juggle combo, or do a naked shadow kick off of a read. You always had to know when to land it in MK1 and MK2, or else you were getting fucked up by an uppercut and busted up with jabs or sweeps after a knockdown, and you could be swept out of it. If you're not landing it off of a read, then you're guessing.

Your assessment is incomplete. You say the move is punishable on block, but MY POINT IS I SHOULDN"T HAVE TO BLOCK. I should be able to duck it. If I'm sitting there blocking because I can't duck the damn move or react to it, and the move is punishable on block, then a smart Cage won't do the damn move. That's my point about non conditioning. My behavior is rigidly determined by the lack of choices in the game. You may enjoy having simple simon "mind games" but I enjoy prediction, not guessing or letting my opponent do stuff when I already know what they want to do.

You like the choices that NRS gives you. You have no clue how awesome MK9 would be if it were an actual 2d game. Instead, we have a game where players are punished for doing normal 2d fighting tactics. That's the real reason Chris G loses at this game, and why non MK players hate MK9. Nightwolf has a fuckin unblockable bolt. Fuckin Lex Luthor has one in Injustice, too. That's nonsense. I should not be punished for running away with a life lead. If I'm in the opposite corner from you, full screen, I should not be getting hit by a projectile from Kenshi, or a fuckin unblockable bolt from Nightwolf or Lex Luthor. I should not be getting hit with diagonal bolts from Black Adam, because I'm in an opposite corner. YOU SHOULD HAVE TO ACTUALLY DEVELOP A GAME PLAN TO ATTACK ME INSTEAD OF HAVING THE GAME DO IT FOR YOU.
In other words, gimme a damn traditional 2D game, amirite or amirite?

This is a big problem with a lot of players in general...because something is totally untraditional, it's not good and shouldn't be there.

Besides, the EX shadow kick is a waste of meter in the standard anti-projectile scenario in the first place. And I don't see why standing there having to block it is such a big deal, considering the payoff isn't at all close to what Cage gets for fucking up with it. Using the move is a limited mindgame in the first place.

Also, these examples of unblockable specials like Lex's laser or Nightwolf's lightning sucks because the moves are 100% reactable to. Lex's case, a dash out of the way (possibly even walking), Nightwolf's case a jump (unless Nightwolf's full screen or near it, a jump forward on reaction to this means yes night night Nightwolf).

KH_Seraph I hope that wasn't serious.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Shadow Kick is supposed to be a damn read. That's the entire point/gamble of the move. You either had to devise a plan and land it in a juggle combo, or do a naked shadow kick off of a read. You always had to know when to land it in MK1 and MK2, or else you were getting fucked up by an uppercut and busted up with jabs or sweeps after a knockdown, and you could be swept out of it. If you're not landing it off of a read, then you're guessing.

Your assessment is incomplete. You say the move is punishable on block, but MY POINT IS I SHOULDN"T HAVE TO BLOCK. I should be able to duck it. If I'm sitting there blocking because I can't duck the damn move or react to it, and the move is punishable on block, then a smart Cage won't do the damn move. That's my point about non conditioning. My behavior is rigidly determined by the lack of choices in the game. You may enjoy having simple simon "mind games" but I enjoy prediction, not guessing or letting my opponent do stuff when I already know what they want to do.

You like the choices that NRS gives you. You have no clue how awesome MK9 would be if it were an actual 2d game. Instead, we have a game where players are punished for doing normal 2d fighting tactics. That's the real reason Chris G loses at this game, and why non MK players hate MK9. Nightwolf has a fuckin unblockable bolt. Fuckin Lex Luthor has one in Injustice, too. That's nonsense. I should not be punished for running away with a life lead. If I'm in the opposite corner from you, full screen, I should not be getting hit by a projectile from Kenshi, or a fuckin unblockable bolt from Nightwolf or Lex Luthor. I should not be getting hit with diagonal bolts from Black Adam, because I'm in an opposite corner. YOU SHOULD HAVE TO ACTUALLY DEVELOP A GAME PLAN TO ATTACK ME INSTEAD OF HAVING THE GAME DO IT FOR YOU.
How the moves worked in a 20 year old ancestor to the game has no bearing on how it works in mk9. Sorry, I don't think every game should be exactly the same.

Your point is that you shouldn't have to block? How did you come to that conclusion? Are you in favor of them just removing the block button all together? Also, if you're just sitting there holding block when he's knocked down, then good luck getting out of his pressure when he simply dashes into f3 which covers like half of the screen in the blink of an eye. It means you're letting him in for free. There's a mind game to it. You shouldn't just assume there isn't one because you can't figure it out on your own. That's what the community is for. Everything I've learned about the game is from attending tournaments and TYM.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Yes, I do think modern MK games should retain some of the good aspects of the older 2d games. The old games are a broken mess, too, but there is some good in them. Simple things like being able to neutral jump kick someone who foolishly tries to jump toward you or escape a corner. The kick in MK9 should not have as much animation as it has. That's unnecessary. A simple short frame neutral jump kick should be in the game. Get rid of the block button? I absolutely would. They got rid of the run button, so why not get rid of block, too? Fear Cage while he's knocked down? See, the knocked down player should be the one whose afraid. Getting knocked down in a 2d game should never be where you want to be, and you should get thoroughly whooped for being in that position. I'm not advocating unblockable foolishness (although, I don't care about them). I just don't think you should have an easy time getting up after a knock down. Again, The "let them get up" philosophy is from 3d games, not 2d games. In 2d games, if you get put in a corner, you might die there, and not because rounds leave you there or because you get dash cancel raped, or because combos fuck you up high, mid and low. I just want a sensible, smart, 2d Mortal Kombat game, where zoning, lame style, and yomi can coexist with rushdown. That's what I want.
The only reason it would be easy for him to get up in that scenario is because you're just sitting there holding block. There's an entire oki game here that you're failing to recognize. I'm not trying to be a dick here... but you're incorrect. I just wouldn't want someone who doesn't know much about the game to read your first glance assessment and possibly not give it a chance due to it.

And your suggestion that they should remove the block button and the game should work the same as it did in mk1 is just silly. Just play mk1 then. If learning more about the game isn't worth your time, then I find it hard to believe that focusing energy on an argument that's based on false information is too.

MrMadden613

Going Hard in The Paint!
Wow man congratz

you played so tight its unreal

Just a question ... i am by no means "top teir" but i want to step my game up in mk9 and injustice but have no solid players online to play with "xbox live" any suggestions? is there somewere on this site to help with that? cuz i assume some of you could shed some light on my errors/faults etc. plz dont troll me imd like a real answer lol

Thanks

Wafflez played awesome. I can't believe I actually sat and watched the entire tournament on Saturday. lol.. I didn't think there was any way he was going to take Cowboy two sets in a row. I've had it happen to me before, so I know how that feels.

The only part that was less than entertaining were all the damn kenshis. Again, I don't hate kenshi because I think he's imbalanced. I hate him because he takes zero skill to use and he's boring as shit to watch. It's too bad that high level players use him. To me, it's doing yourself an injustice to play him if you are a good MK player. Why dumb down what you're capable of and use a stupid character that a 12 year old can learn to use effectively in like 5 minutes of practice? Speaking only for myself here, but I tend to respect peopel less when they use kenshi. Not that anyone cares what I think. :)

Although, I did like that cocky ass hat getting bodied by sheeva. That almost made it worth watching all the stupid kenshis. Kinda shows you what I mean though.. A bad player making it as far as he did because you don't have to be good at MK to use kenshi.

I'm so glad a Kenshi didn't win this event. He makes the game look stupid.

TylerLantern

POWER OF FEAR
This tournament was great, and making Top 16 by making it out of my pool was the highlight of the tournament for me. That match with CptXecution was amazing, especially after being put in losers bracket by him just a few matches earlier. Great games to everyone I played. Also, a REALLY big congrats to Wafflez. He played Smoke at a caliber I have never seen.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Wow man congratz

you played so tight its unreal

Just a question ... i am by no means "top teir" but i want to step my game up in mk9 and injustice but have no solid players online to play with "xbox live" any suggestions? is there somewere on this site to help with that? cuz i assume some of you could shed some light on my errors/faults etc. plz dont troll me imd like a real answer lol

Thanks
I Play on Xbox too, and I need to step my game up. Add me. My gamertag is the same as on here.
Never seen Wafflez play before that but dude is a beast. His comebacks were amazing to watch.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Mortal Kombat 9 is supposed to be a traditional 2d game.

I started in the thread because I wanted to address non-conditioning in 2d MK, which is mostly due to non trading projectiles, and you and other players keep making my point. I should not be forced to leave the position I have chosen on the stage until someone walks or enters into a range that threatens my position (not does a special into it or dashes into it, which leaves me with slow ass moves that don't let me punish them). No one should be able to MAKE someone do something when both characters are in opposite corners.

For example, I know when I play Akuma, Gouken, or Sakura from full screen that I have to watch for their EX full scree jumps in-between trading wars. I know that if they have enough meter and I have the life lead that they will try for that easy way to close the distance. So, I know that I must be ready to neutral jump low short, and crush their dreams. Gouken players even know that I know and smart ones will do the jump and try to parry me. Awesome.

2d MK is flawed from full screen position, and a true evolution of the series would have addressed this problem in a smart way, without giving the disadvantaged full screen character an easy way to close distance. UMK3 addressed the issue with the run button, but it still didn't solve the problem of lame style, and it even led to the exact extreme opposite of squatting/lame: run and glitch jabs. Those are the extremes that occur when a 2d game does not have trading, but the answer, imo, is not ninja teleports or lows that cause knockdowns, or "homing/tracking" moves, or Kung Lao's spin that goes into big damage, or hard to jump Cyrax nets, or...anyway. They could have added roll mechanics or short hopping, or moves like Cammy's spin knuckle, or non attack teleports like Bison or Dhalsim, or having some projectiles trade. That keeps the offense of CQC and gives equal opportunity for full screen defense.

That is not an unreasonable thing to want. It may be unreasonable in regards to the reality of what NRS can do with their time, and their plan for the games, but it is not an unreasonable thing for 2d MK.
It's unreasonable because you want the game to be what you want...totally traditional. People do like MK9 because it's not traditional in the slightest.

MrMadden613

Going Hard in The Paint!
I Play on Xbox too, and I need to step my game up. Add me. My gamertag is the same as on here.
Never seen Wafflez play before that but dude is a beast. His comebacks were amazing to watch.
ok man will do for sure but tonight im gunna be ripping injustice demo till bed time lololol deff send you a FR