What's new

Final Character Select Screen Confirmed

So if this is the final character select screen it has place for 8 dlc characters easily, just moving the icons like they made between builds

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
All I'm gonna say is thank you NRS for Shinnok, Goro, Jason, Tremor, Erron Black, and Predator. They'll have to do for a few years.

aj1701

Noob
I don't think your understanding the way I feel about it. Violence is violence, but this is ridiculous & completely unnecessary and very avoidable. I have zero problem with the violence in this game, but this is a line that was never needed to be crossed while keeping the heart of this series in tack.
Some people would say the violence in mk1 was ridiculous and completely unnecessary and very avoidable, it was a line that didn't need to be crossed. I don't see a problem, its just a video game after all.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Yes, absolutely. Do you have any kids? It's a line they shouldn't have even crossed. It's Mortal Kombat, not Happy Family Game night. Will I still play it? Of course, but it's totally stupid imo.

Sindel, Kitana, and Mileena have been murdering each other since MK3. The story of MK9 had Sindel kill her begging child.

Liu Kang and Kung Lao have been murdering each other since MKII.

Shao Kahn and Kitana have been murdering each other since MKII (this being before Kit knew he wasn't her Father).

The Sub brothers have been murdering each other since MK3.

Goro and Sheeva can kill each other in MK9.

Family has been killing each other for decades including parents, children, cousins, brothers, and sisters. Why is this an issue now?

Tim Static

Adminerator
Sindel, Kitana, and Mileena have been murdering each other since MK3. The story of MK9 had Sindel kill her begging child.

Liu Kang and Kung Lao have been murdering each other since MKII.

Shao Kahn and Kitana have been murdering each other since MKII (this being before Kit knew he wasn't her Father).

The Sub brothers have been murdering each other since MK3.

Family has been killing each other for decades including parents, children, cousins, brothers, and sisters. Why is this an issue now?
Sindel was brought back from the dead, and wasn't the same person for the most part, and Mileena & Kitana doesn't count cause they're not even sisters, same with Shao Kahn as Kitana's dad.

But you are right, it wasn't an issue until NRS made it a point to release videos calling them Families that really drove the point home.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Sindel was brought back from the dead, and wasn't the same person for the most part, and Mileena & Kitana doesn't count cause they're not even sisters, same with Shao Kahn as Kitana's dad.

But you are right, it wasn't an issue until NRS made it a point to release videos calling them Families that really drove the point home.

The point remains they've been killing each other, whether resurrected or adopted children, Mothers and Fathers have killed their children for decades and vice-versa.

This became an issue the minute Cassie was announced and people were asking if her parents could perform a fatality. People had an issue way before the family trailers.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/802908-mortal-kombat-x/69829474

This topic was made in August and was not the first nor the last of its kind. People just ignored that this has been happening forever, it just suddenly became an issue for some reason.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Maybe Goro (for he's DLC) sits on some unlockable character's place. They said finishing story mode will unlock someone. I thought it will be Liu Kang, but since they showed his gameplay I'm no longer sure. That would kind of suck to show off a character that is supposed to be a surprise reward for going through all the story.

Doctor Future

Baraka Lives!
Here's a good theory I read on GameFaqs:

Shinnok is on the bottom left because he's one of Story Mode's unlockable characters.

This leads credit to why he's on the opposite side of Goro on the character screen, and not next to Quan Chi.

So yes, according to a leak we'll have two characters we unlock, with one of them being the BIG BAD.

If you read the comics, you might know which character that is.

I won't spoil it here of course.

Grub

Noob
I have to say that the problem people might be having is that while other characters have had family connections before, they've been a bit... tangential, not well-utilized, unimportant. Fighting game backstory. We came to see character types from kung fu movies and horror films beat each other up.

That Cassie and Jacqui and Takeda and Kung Jin ARE kids and ARE family is actually a brand new direction for the series to take. They seem like children, and children of people who were good guys from the very start. No one relates to being the thousand year old princess daughter of an alien zombie queen. Lots of people can relate to being the child of a divorced couple who love you but dislike each other, or the child of an absent parent, or wanting to make your parents proud. And not only are these parents murdering their children, they're torturing and mutilating them before the kill.

I've been playing since MK1, and I've never seen something like this as an issue for other people until now. And now it's an issue. It's not a random anomaly. It's a side-effect of people giving a toss that these fighters are the young kids of characters we understand and admire. The capacity to exploit and hurt anyone except your children is a common feature in many human beings. Even if only slightly, these characters now feel like they could be our kids, our parents. And Jax is going to rip off his daughter's head and use her pulsating severed jaw as an ash tray. You either look at it and laugh maniacally, or wonder why the hell there's finally a justification in Mortal Kombat for a more refined version of Friendships but no option for them.

That being said, I'm there day one. I'll let the timer run out if it bugs me.

Last edited:
i think there is one more unlockable from story and he will get goro slot
I agree, i think they will Goro to the random select spot os that way once DLC rolls in you will slide up to choose one of them because using Goro's spot wouldn't work. And they have two options for random select so that doesn't make much sense.

Sindel is a demon witch. She is also a villainess. Sindel kills because Sindel is evil. We(the audience) expect, and accept that she is evil and therefore will do evil things. What we(the audience) do not expect, and find hard to accept(some of us) is for a hero(Sonya, or Johnny, Cassie or Jaqui), not under an evil influence, doing something totally out of character(doing fatalities on their kids and kids killing their parents). It literally makes no sense. Like I've said before, the fatality used to have an explanation(regardless if it was silly or not), but now it doesn't. And since fatalities no longer have any connection to the story, it makes it even more strange that family members are doing them.

Kung Lao and Liu Kang are not related. They just belonged to the order of light. They are heroes, but they are both warriors who fully understand their purpose(in the context of the story). They would be fullly prepared to fight to the death to save the world.

Kitana not knowing Khan was her father in the story doesn't matter because we(the audience) knew it wasn't her father. The MK team never had relatives kill each other in any MK game, ever, until now. It doesn't make sense, and if they had had parents and kids doing fatalities in the original games they would have been forced to change it. That would have been a pr nightmare back in the 90's.

Just think, would it had made any sense if Gandalf just decided to brutally murder Sam Gamgee in The Lord of the Rings? Would Han Solo, or Luke and Leia brutally kill each other? No. It's just jarring from a story perspective. Vader is prepared to kill Luke because Vader is half android, and he's drunk on the darkside of the force. Luke, when given the option to murder Vader, declined. He was prepared to die rather than kill his own father, and his father was evil.

The family fatalities just seem wrong for the game's heroic mythology, and in bad taste even for MK, which likes to push the envelope.
This was WAY to analyzed haha, It's just Mortal Kombat all rules go for it. You put up the great example of Kitana and Sindel Mother and Daughter killing one another for over 15 years or so even when Sindel turned good you still had the option to kill her with Kitana. So these offsprings don't make an exception to that.

I know it's way more thought than this subject warrants--it's a video game. Pretty sure we all get that. These are computer constructed characters. The thing is, I love the MK mythology, and the characters. They're fantastic archetypes, and the family fatality stuff just seems stupid to me because it doesn't add anything to the experience of the game. In fact, since we probably won't be seeing parent/child fatalities in the story mode, but we will see them in vs mode, the family fatalities detract from the two because it messes with the archetypes, despite it just being a game. Cassie's a hero in storymode, but in vs she murders her parents....

Anyway, most businesses do think of a lot of stuff like this when it comes to how their characters and or content are portrayed.
But it's fun to be able to play twisted roles that are non-canonical correct? I mean online if you're going against a player as the offspring or parent won't you honor them with a fatalatized death? ;)

Grub

Noob
But it's fun to be able to play twisted roles that are non-canonical correct? I mean online if you're going against a player as the offspring or parent won't you honor them with a fatalatized death? ;)
I'm gonna be a weirdo and say no. It's just a sparring session, bro! :)

I'm gonna be a weirdo and say no. It's just a sparring session, bro! :)
A sparring match to death, if you don't fatalatize them if you lose they will to you i doubt people will care since it's a video game :p you prob get more points added for fatalities also.

Grub

Noob
We should stop teaching about the Civil War too. You know, brother against brother.

Stop being little bitches.
Whoa. Hey. Please don't false equivocate this with a conflict as emotionally charged as the Civil War. They are not the same thing.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Sindel is a demon witch. She is also a villainess. Sindel kills because Sindel is evil. We(the audience) expect, and accept that she is evil and therefore will do evil things. What we(the audience) do not expect, and find hard to accept(some of us) is for a hero(Sonya, or Johnny, Cassie or Jaqui), not under an evil influence, doing something totally out of character(doing fatalities on their kids and kids killing their parents). It literally makes no sense. Like I've said before, the fatality used to have an explanation(regardless if it was silly or not), but now it doesn't. And since fatalities no longer have any connection to the story, it makes it even more strange that family members are doing them.

Kung Lao and Liu Kang are not related. They just belonged to the order of light. They are heroes, but they are both warriors who fully understand their purpose(in the context of the story). They would be fullly prepared to fight to the death to save the world.

Kitana not knowing Khan was her father in the story doesn't matter because we(the audience) knew it wasn't her father. The MK team never had relatives kill each other in any MK game, ever, until now. It doesn't make sense, and if they had had parents and kids doing fatalities in the original games they would have been forced to change it. That would have been a pr nightmare back in the 90's.

Just think, would it had made any sense if Gandalf just decided to brutally murder Sam Gamgee in The Lord of the Rings? Would Han Solo, or Luke and Leia brutally kill each other? No. It's just jarring from a story perspective. Vader is prepared to kill Luke because Vader is half android, and he's drunk on the darkside of the force. Luke, when given the option to murder Vader, declined. He was prepared to die rather than kill his own father, and his father was evil.

The family fatalities just seem wrong for the game's heroic mythology, and in bad taste even for MK, which likes to push the envelope. NRS has made an amazing game, but that one thing just seems like a misstep.

They don't kill in canon, which are the "true" events. Vs. and arcade matches are like fantasy matches that don't actually happen, they could be seen as a dream sequence for all the people that care. They're like Elseworld tales in comics where a hero can become a villain but it doesn't actually happen or referenced in the mainline stories because, for all intents and purposes, they're just offshoots akin to fanfic. The Injustice comic is one that people here can identify with, it's a Superman and World that isn't "real" to the actual Superman so it's fine if he's killing Green Arrow and Black Canary because we know that's not actually "the" Superman. So just look at it as not "the" Sonya killing "the" Cassie. I find it odd that people can suspend their disbelief for X-rays and the absurdity that is the MK universe but a father killing his daughter is "too real" or something.

Aren't they cousins? If not then my mistake. Still, they are true heroes as is Raiden, Sonya, Jax, etc. but they kill each other all the time. The "hero" thing makes no sense and if you're saying "well Liu and Lao are prepared to kill and die", isn't everyone in MK? It's not exclusive to them.

Sub-Zero killed Sub-Zero/Noob. Sindel/Kitana/Mileena killed each other (they're relatives even if they are evil). Kitana BELIEVED Kahn was her father and still could kill, even if the audience knew he wasn't. Best friends whom have been together for years and have a lot of emotional attachment to each other still killed each other (Jade/Kitana). Family has killed, mothers have killed children (it HAS happened even with the "evil" excuse), daughters kill parents, brothers killed, sisters killed, allies killed, friends killed, clansmen killed. It's now a problem because both parent and child are "heroes" so it's iffy? I find it weird.

In the mainline series? I'm sure they wouldn't or fans would be up in arms. This is analogous to MK's story mode. If they were made into a comic that was stated beforehand that "characters are gonna brutally kill each other, maybe even family" then no one should be upset from a story perspective because it's just a side story that has no impact on the story. So Luke killed Leia in this comic, ok, it's not "the" Luke so it's just some nothing story to take at face value.

Heroes have killed each other from day one but now because it's a father and son or mother and daughter it's "wrong" and a "misstep"? I don't get it. They've ALWAYS betrayed the "heroic mythology" by the very nature of being able to perform a fatality on any opponent, friend or foe.

Last edited:

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Like I said, they, at least, tried to give the fatality a purpose beyond just being shock in the first two games by framing it around the tournament. But, even that gets called into question because Tobias confirmed in the OBS episode that Kang's MK1 fatality was not a killing fatality, which undoes the whole evil tournament death match requirement for Tsung's version of the tournament.

I get the distinction you make between storymode canon and vs mode, but the vs mode is the one that gets presented the most to the public. The vs mode is what people associate with MK. And, it is for that reason that I think it is smarter to maintain your archetypes in vs mode: heroes, villains, and anti heroes. Now, this probably doesn't matter too much because most of the stream viewers understand the separation between storymode and vs mode, but why even add the weird aspect of the relative fatalities?

Anyway, this is going too in depth about something that was clearly created just for shock value. They made a great game, and the violence isn't the issue for me. I just don't think there has ever been a video game that allowed "normal" family characters to kill each other, in any context.

MK team has had their fair share of negative reactions surrounding their games, with studies on game violence, and Lieberman attacking them in the 90's; and it survived all of that. But, man, if this game had been out when that lunatic shot up Sandy Hook, and shot his own mother, the negative publicity for MK would have been really bad. The news would have been all over it, making flimsy connections, but connections nonetheless. And, the thing that makes this situation different is that it's "normal" related characters doing crazy shit to each other. It's not demons, or orcs, or Shokans, or unrelated soldiers in combat, or space marines.

I'm not Anti NRS or Anti MKX. I just disagree with their decision.
OK, but we're 10 games deep at this point and the tournament has been prevalent in 3 of them. There's no need for heroes to murder more often than not but they do. It happens. It's always happened. It always will happen. It's Mortal Kombat.

Yes, it's the one associated the most but that's not where the story is and, as such, where the canon is. At least not anymore. So while people can go "it's terrible that Sonya just killed her daughter" the next person can go "no, she's never actually killed Cassie in anything, these matches don't really matter/exist". But if you're maintaining your archetypes in vs. then Sonya/Jax shouldn't be able to kill each other unless Jax is in his undead skin, The New Special Forces (Cassie/Jacquie/Kung Jin/Takeda) shouldn't kill each other. Taking it further, Earthrealm shouldn't have killed each other in any game where the tournament plays a major role. Unless this has been your mentality since day one then I don't understand why it becomes a problem now.

"Anyway, this is going too in depth about something that was clearly created just for shock value", that's what fatalities always have been. Because Cassie can do it on Sonya isn't for extra shock, it's because they're both playable characters. I'm sure they didn't go in with the mindset of "we need some more shock publicity, let's include a bunch of family members so they can brutally kill each other". They made the story in such a way that a new generation of fighters are starting to crop up and some are family of the older fighters. "I just don't think there has ever been a video game that allowed "normal" family characters to kill each other, in any context", Bioshock Infinite is a very recent example of exactly this happening. It was done "tastefully" so people aren't up in arms but this has absolutely happened in games.

Violent things will always get negative publicity. Some kid shot his father and mother over Halo, GTA has been linked to several incidents, The Dark Knight Rises movie shooting, so on. Again, if the media is talking about how MK is abhorrent for its violence then they should already know that family has killed each other and they certainly wouldn't gloss over family like Sindel/Kitana or the Sub-Zero brothers killing each other because one is evil or anything.

MCPeePants

Bout it
Whoa. Hey. Please don't false equivocate this with a conflict as emotionally charged as the Civil War. They are not the same thing.
hyperbole [hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun, Rhetoric
1.obvious and intentional exaggeration.
2.an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”.

Don't be stupid.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Well this totally reminds me of MK3 and DA roster, people are not too happy about it.

And everytime these happened NRS did an ultimate version of the game with more characters that didn't made the cut.

I need to get this off my chest, this is the last time i'll complain:

Sektor head was severed, so he is dead in this timeline, this is understandable, but we could at least get cyrax.
Leaving Skarlet out was a bad choice IMO, she is a character that needs to be fleshed out, NRS failed a big chance here to put her on the plot even if she didn't fought the main battles there could be a lot of things going for her from seeking revenge on Shinnok and Quan Chi, or into a quest mission to find a way to restore Shao Kahn.
no Fujin, not even as DLC, this sucks
Rain was left out, again...
No Bo Rai Cho
Enenra should've been Smoke's next evolution, doesn't he a being who reincarnates from death? why his revenant is claming to be Enenra, IMO if Smoke was to be called Enenra he should've been very different from Smoke.
Quan Chi bitches should've been playable, i've been waiting for the sisterhood trio since MK4, yet NRS keeps toying and toying with nothing going from them (seems they only still have eyes for Sareena, Sadly, Honestly i think Kia and Jataaka are still equally awesome)
Why is Tanya not black? like WTF? Did she got the Michael Jackson treatment?

Kung Lao, Kitana, Jax, Liu Kang, should've stayed dead, as i said before, there are characters that didn't die who would've been far more interesting to have, like Noob Saibot, IMO there was some really bad choices of characters in the roster. Da fuq is tremor doing here?

Now that i took that off my chest:

I will still buy it and play the hell out of this game, even if it didn't go as i expected, maybe i expected too much.