What's new

Final Character Select Screen Confirmed

trufenix

bye felicia
Yes, absolutely. Do you have any kids? It's a line they shouldn't have even crossed. It's Mortal Kombat, not Happy Family Game night. Will I still play it? Of course, but it's totally stupid imo.
I do have kids. You're telling me that somehow changes something for you? You're gonna tell Static Jr. it's okay to pull the guts out of this digital person and do a sexy dance in them because they're just friends but not this one here cause the instruction manual says they're family?

This is a game about fake people graphically murdering each other. Either you're okay with that or you aren't. A couple lines of dialogue isn't going to somehow increase / decrease the weight of it.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Yes, absolutely. Do you have any kids? It's a line they shouldn't have even crossed. It's Mortal Kombat, not Happy Family Game night. Will I still play it? Of course, but it's totally stupid imo.
Give me a break. Als9, they already crossed it in mk9

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
Still seems strange to me they gave Goro an actual "spot" on the roster. For a character that not everyone will have (although most of us will), it seems strange to include it. Granted, that might be the DLC spot like in MK9 where you hover over it and keep going right to select different characters.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
No fujin and reiko?

Like I promised some time ago:
I hope Reiko, Fujin and Bo Rai Cho die in hell and never surface in any MK game in this history of the universe, EVER.
When the roster comes out and none of these waste of pixels are in the game I'm going to celebrate for a week.
I have only 1 thing to say:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Last edited:

XAO

Karnage Rules
Still seems strange to me they gave Goro an actual "spot" on the roster. For a character that not everyone will have (although most of us will), it seems strange to include it. Granted, that might be the DLC spot like in MK9 where you hover over it and keep going right to select different characters.
there's no place to go right or overlap over images. It's "?" for sure.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
The roster could've been perfect without Johnny Sonya and Jax to be honest. It's messed up parents can fatality their children. They could've just played the same part in story mode only. Oh, well. The roster is not too bad though. Johnny is always hype.

Last edited:

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I agree.

On a side note, I'm not very hype for MKX for whatever reason. It's not just one single thing, but gamemk brings up good points that resonate with me. The roster also doesn't excite me very much.

/shrug we'll see I guess. I'll certainly be watching a lot of streams and videos before buying though.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I agree. I just haven't even talked about it because I knew bringing it up wouldn't fly with people. I don't know why they thought this made sense. For one thing, they've retconned the story to the degree that fatalities don't even make sense thematically anymore anyway. lol.

Remember when fatalities were like, fatalities exist because Tsung took over the tournament and made it all evil and shit, so fighting to the death was part of saving the world. Was it always silly? Yes, but in a cheesy, cool way.

By that logic it made a bit of sense that these strangers(in MK1) might actually kill each other to save the world. Even MK3, with Sonya and Jax--you could suspend your fantasy disbelief that they would brutally murder each other to save the world. However, what parent would brutally murder their child to save the world?

There is no way in the world that Sonya and Johnny would fatality Cassie to save the world, and most kids wouldn't kill their parents for that either. Anyway, since they retconned the story and made the tournament aspect basically irrelevant, the fatality became basically irrelevant too. If there's no tournament then why are they still killing each other, let alone parents and children?

That's not exactly all it is. When Tobias came up with the story he was actually trying to give it depth--like make it a good mythology. He gave the killing/fatality a reason: it was tied to Tsung's evil version of the tournament.

My question is, why do the allied, related characters kill each other now? There is no explanation anymore. They are video game characters, but it just makes no sense is all.
Yes, exactly!

I agree. I just haven't even talked about it because I knew bringing it up wouldn't fly with people. I don't know why they thought this made sense. For one thing, they've retconned the story to the degree that fatalities don't even make sense thematically anymore anyway. lol.

Remember when fatalities were like, fatalities exist because Tsung took over the tournament and made it all evil and shit, so fighting to the death was part of saving the world. Was it always silly? Yes, but in a cheesy, cool way.

By that logic it made a bit of sense that these strangers(in MK1) might actually kill each other to save the world. Even MK3, with Sonya and Jax--you could suspend your fantasy disbelief that they would brutally murder each other to save the world. However, what parent would brutally murder their child to save the world?

There is no way in the world that Sonya and Johnny would fatality Cassie to save the world, and most kids wouldn't kill their parents for that either. Anyway, since they retconned the story and made the tournament aspect basically irrelevant, the fatality became basically irrelevant too. If there's no tournament then why are they still killing each other, let alone parents and children?

That's not exactly all it is. When Tobias came up with the story he was actually trying to give it depth--like make it a good mythology. He gave the killing/fatality a reason: it was tied to Tsung's evil version of the tournament.

My question is, why do the allied, related characters kill each other now? There is no explanation anymore. They are video game characters, but it just makes no sense is all.
i was worried about the family fatalities too, until someone shed a brighter light on it with this joke:

Sonya: "cassie, have you cleaned your room?"
Cassie: "go away mom, i'm on the phone!"
*fight to death begins*

Tim Static

Adminerator
I do have kids. You're telling me that somehow changes something for you? You're gonna tell Static Jr. it's okay to pull the guts out of this digital person and do a sexy dance in them because they're just friends but not this one here cause the instruction manual says they're family?

This is a game about fake people graphically murdering each other. Either you're okay with that or you aren't. A couple lines of dialogue isn't going to somehow increase / decrease the weight of it.
lol @ Static Jr.

I don't think your understanding the way I feel about it. Violence is violence, but this is ridiculous & completely unnecessary and very avoidable. I have zero problem with the violence in this game, but this is a line that was never needed to be crossed while keeping the heart of this series in tack.
Give me a break.

:coffee:

Tim Static

Adminerator
Would you have solved the problem by just putting a playable Johnny, Sonya and Jax in story mode, and not made them playable in vs? That seems like the most logical thing to do. Of course, none of us knows the amount of money that it would cost to make game assets and not have them playable in vs mode, but that's what would have made the most sense to me.
Either that or just not gone the route of making 2nd generation characters. I mean, if their parents had been "killed at the hands of an evil Emperor or something like that, sure. But the whole idea of having them like they are is just something that isn't necessary.
It's like, dude, remember the baby attack glitch in MK2. That was something they clearly didn't and don't want to see possible, and I think everyone would agree. It's an obvious wrong note. I don't see why this doesn't meet the same bar as that. I mean, am I the only one who thinks they won't allow you to fatality Ferra because of her size which makes her look like a child?
lol i forgot about that. And that makes sense for Ferra.

I love that MK is always pushing the boundaries.....but this is a boundary that didn't need to be pushed. That's all i'm saying.

D

Deleted member 35141

Not enough ninjas :(
Not enough cyborgs:mad:
Not enough women:confused:
Too many MORTALS:eek:
Anything else to complain about.
It seems some of you haven't played mk4 to armegeddon most of the characters had no personality or their own damn move set, yet this roster sucks lol.
I can add to the list.
Too many family members boo hoo
Its too unrealistic LMFAO
The story sucks lol

D

Deleted member 35141

@Tim Static

Would you have solved the problem by just putting a playable Johnny, Sonya and Jax in story mode, and not made them playable in vs? That seems like the most logical thing to do. Of course, none of us knows the amount of money that it would cost to make game assets and not have them playable in vs mode, but that's what would have made the most sense to me.

Making new game assets to replace the non playable ones probably costs a lot, so I don't know if that was feasible. But, If it's not the cost then it just seems like a way over the top thing to do, which just doesn't seem like them, especially since it's not like they're advertising the parent/child murder as a feature of the game. lol. Nonetheless, they do intend for parent/child fatalities to occur in the game which is just odd, and seems like a wrong note for MK(Outside of the demon witch(Sindel) mother daughter(Kitana), and mutant clone(Mileena) situation that has already been talked about.)

It's like, dude, remember the baby attack glitch in MK2? That was something they clearly didn't and don't want to see possible, and I think everyone would agree. It's an obvious wrong note. I don't see why this doesn't meet the same bar as that. I mean, am I the only one who thinks they won't allow you to fatality Ferra because of her size which makes her look like a child?
Why so people dont kill their family members in a FAKE universe, its a game were you rip heads off doing splits, it makes complete sense family is involved. Your telling me that these fighters know the evils in the world but wont teach their kids to fight.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
They're going to let you kill them most likely because they didn't think about it before they committed to having family characters(assuming they were uncomfortable with it). Boon mentions this in one of the earlier interviews. At the point it's probably more work to create hoops to have people able to be killed by some but not by others. Generally speaking fatalities in vs modes have always been non-canon what if situations that are up to the player. A do whatever you want kinda of thing. Fatalities are like a novelty gimmick only at this point, very few characters in story mode actually kill each other like you do in fatality except some bad guys, they're really not characteristic of any of the heroes in this game period on anybody let alone family.

Im pleased with the roster because netherealm are the bollocks at pulling off all characters and variations, however a cyborg would have been nice and cyber sub zero, I'm not to sure why allots made of the family thing, i hate to break it to you all as die hard mk fan as i am, none of this is real, its not really happening, when you close down and turn off then re boot there gonna all be just fine, till the next fatality brutality ect so don't sweat it, super hyped for predator, hope the net code is ok and i can play allot of the usa community on here as I'm in uk

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
My thoughts are... never have I wanted to try out so many characters on a day 1 roster...

Out of the 25... I want to try 14 of them. lol (15 out of 29 if you wanna include the dlc).

To me, that's insane. lol

When you put it like that, i can see what you mean. After all, the context of MK is different from other series where people fight for fun or for sport.

At the same time, I can understand them wanting to have a passing of the torch between the parents and the next generation.