What's new

Fallout 4 Discussion Thread

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It's called DLC :DOGE

Trying to get my tree smoking ability maxed out by Monday at midnight, should be leveled all the way up by the time I play. :D
Lmao! If they go the route of "paid DLC expands the game" I would lose all faith in modern gaming.

A lot of people seem to be quite disappointed at the overall size of the map. The GameFAQs forums blew up when someone posted a thread showing the video of how long it took to walk from one end to the other. I sure hope what little area there is to explore is jam packed full of shit to do. Especially since the devs said they put 400 hours into the game.
Yea it's so small that I thought it was a thing like GTA where if you get to a certain part it opens up more. I'm still hoping that's the case but I saw nothing but radiation death when I went to one of the ends.

It feels like I've been playing a ton and still haven't made it "far" so I think that's a good sign at least. Some cities/settlements/caves/etc seem really close to one another so hopefully that'll be its way of balancing itself out.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not quite getting what everyone is worried about. The Skyrim/FO4 comparison is a flawed one as that two hour video is composed only of walking and the Skyrim map does take an odd U-shape thanks to the mountain range leading to High Hrothgar, so you can't really just walk end to end in most cases. The eleven minute video is composed of running and sprinting and let's face it, it does cut off the span of water that is likely filled with underwater wrecks and locations like we see in FO3 and FONV.

Skyrim does look and probably is a little larger, but we're not exactly comparing apples to apples as far as I've seen. I did find a couple of videos showing run and sprint spans of Skyrim that came in at about fifteen minutes for the nearly full corner-to-corner route. None were perfect but it's a lot less unsettling than the two hour to eleven minute comparison.

Solignac

Noob
Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not quite getting what everyone is worried about. The Skyrim/FO4 comparison is a flawed one as that two hour video is composed only of walking and the Skyrim map does take an odd U-shape thanks to the mountain range leading to High Hrothgar, so you can't really just walk end to end in most cases. The eleven minute video is composed of running and sprinting and let's face it, it does cut off the span of water that is likely filled with underwater wrecks and locations like we see in FO3 and FONV.

Skyrim does look and probably is a little larger, but we're not exactly comparing apples to apples as far as I've seen. I did find a couple of videos showing run and sprint spans of Skyrim that came in at about fifteen minutes for the nearly full corner-to-corner route. None were perfect but it's a lot less unsettling than the two hour to eleven minute comparison.
I agree, a reasonable qualm, but we're comparing apples to oranges. Lets wait and see, no sense in fretting now since the game is only a couple days away.

I don't mind the season pass if the game is really big/long like past Fallout's, but if it's some short shit with DLC to "keep it alive with expansion" I'll have no faith in the future of gaming.
I also agree, as much as I hate DLC. 30 bucks for something meaty like that is akin to an expansion of ye olde times, which I'm ok with. They are always imaginative, add a great deal to the story, and usually are unique in the environments they add or the content they bring.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
I agree, a reasonable qualm, but we're comparing apples to oranges. Lets wait and see, no sense in fretting now since the game is only a couple days away.
Oh no, I meant the same. We shouldn't be worried as of right now and just wait and see.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
A lot of people seem to be quite disappointed at the overall size of the map. The GameFAQs forums blew up when someone posted a thread showing the video of how long it took to walk from one end to the other. I sure hope what little area there is to explore is jam packed full of shit to do. Especially since the devs said they put 400 hours into the game.
I really hope the events aren't tightly packed then, I recently noticed the difference between random events and enemy spawns between 3 and NV when I tried a no healing playthrough. 3 is completely suffocated with random events and enemies every 10 metres while NV is more open.

E

Eldriken

I really hope the events aren't tightly packed then, I recently noticed the difference between random events and enemy spawns between 3 and NV when I tried a no healing playthrough. 3 is completely suffocated with random events and enemies every 10 metres while NV is more open.
Hopefully it's a nice balance of the two.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I can't do it. I can't wait any longer. Just go on without me. I'm going to be the greatest Kotal Kahn player at this rate.
The sneaking is good. Now I can explain it better.

When you're sneaking the "Hidden" and "Caution" bars tell you how close you are to being seen/heard/caught like before. When the bar slims and tightens it means you're being loud. Feels like you have to be much more "sneaky" now to not alert but that's likely because I only leveled it up once and still need the other sneak perks. When you get silencers you can sneak easier through encounters.

The AI is both smart and dumb. You can sneak kill people and if you get caught or die or whatever they don't do the same patterns next time when the firefight starts. But at the same time if they get Caution level from you killing someone they won't come to close to the scene to check sometimes. Sometimes you can fire off loud gunshots and still be in Caution alert.

Pickpocketing works literally exactly the same though.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Does the framerate die when you use a scope? There have been reports of that. Thanks for answering all our questions, btw, @SaltShaker.
Yea no problem. I can imagine the thirst right now from how I felt when I got it lol.

I'm on PS4 and I've been using the sniper gun a lot lately to "start" the firefights. But I haven't seen any issues with frame rate because of it. I just shot like 30 sniper shots in a row an hour ago lol. I only saw frame drops once when I was running over a hill heavy area trying not to die from some crab looking things. Other than that it's been very solid for the most part. Moreso than I expected.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
@SaltShaker can I ditch the dog or am I going to be stuck with him the whole time? I'd rather not have an immortal companion with me 24/7 just ruining the immersion

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@SaltShaker can I ditch the dog or am I going to be stuck with him the whole time? I'd rather not have an immortal companion with me 24/7 just ruining the immersion
Yup. You can leave him in your main settlement town. When you switch companions you choose what town or settlement you want them to go. You can leave everyone at the same place if you want. I'm not a fan of immortal God companion either.

If you travel without a companion one of the perks gives you 50 more weight points towards carrying and you take less damage. I haven't upgraded it yet so not sure what stage 2 and 3 of the perk is yet.

MK Led

Umbasa
I think you guys should give the new perk system a chance. From what I understand, you level quicker and you're not capped at any level so you could potentially get all the perks and specials upgraded. I was upset at first and thought it was pants on head retarded that they took out skill points, but after reading through the perks and understanding the system, I think it could still be reasonably intricate. Now you have to think about how you want to spend your level carefully rather than just dumping everything into smalls guns and grabbing a small guns perk. Plus there isn't any dumb perks like Daddy's Boy/Girl where it just adds 5 to medicine and science. That's a pretty unimaginative perk.
My thoughts exactly.

Also, the skyrim map takes 2 hours to cross when walking, if you're constantly moving in a straight line and using stamina to sprint like the guy was using AP in the fo4 video, then it takes around 14 minutes to walk across the skyrim map.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@SaltShaker so would you say its worth the 60 bucks? Any idea on how replayable it is? How long the campaign with side missions takes?
Definitely worth the money. It's slightly dumbed down to make it more accessible but it gets hella good after the 1st 90min. It is a little slow in the beginning but it's a wildfire after that.

I haven't seen anything yet that would have had a "significant" impact yet, but I have wondered what would have happened if I did a different decision on one of my task. I'm sure the bigger impacts will come with priority missions so it'll definitely be good for another play through.

Main campaign missioms can be long. I've done a couple that took 10min but I did one earlier today that took almost an hour, and that's with minimal deaths lol. Things kept coming up and I'm like "it's not done yet?!" Haha. Side quest seem to vary. Some are like 2 minutes, some 5-10, and one was like 20min so far. One was also a "finish when it's possible later on" type.