What's new

Fallout 4 Discussion Thread

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
I'm a super packrat, I love collecting every single little bottlecap and piece of ammo on the tables and in the lockers and shit. The new looting system is amazing. Not having to stop the game and open up a big menu to loot is great. No skill points is kind of a bummer though.

Here's basically a search query for Fallout 4 on the previous site. Pretty much all gameplay if you wanna see it.

There is no skill points? So I'm assuming intelligence just got a lot less important :(

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Hopefully he was playing it on easy. Probably was from the looks of how the game was playing. There's no way they made it that easy.

Or did they? :DOGE
Well, Super Mutants usually have really high innate armor, and the guy playing looks like he was using a supped up energy weapon. I think they ignore armor? So it's possible that it's normal difficulty, I guess.

I like the idea of running into things that squash you into paste if you get too big for your britches. Like the giants in Skyrim launching you into orbit. If Super Mutants are like that, then I'll be heaven.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese

Solignac

Noob
There is no skill points? So I'm assuming intelligence just got a lot less important :(
I retract that statement. I looked at the perks and basically it seems like it works pretty well. Skill points are in the perks now but you level up way more and way faster so it's not like a super committed thing to pick a perk now.

MK Led

Umbasa
Tell you what, reading the comments on reddit from those leaked videos is pretty excruciating. It's amazing how some people can get hyped up beyond belief and put no thought into the fact that this is a Bethesda game, and it will play like one. People are getting so mad at Bethesda for things that were a 100% given from day one, and its not like these things (you know what I mean, 'meh' quality writing, bad animations, relatively static world that revolves around the player, etc.) aren't legitimate things that Bethesda should at least try to improve upon, but clearly these details get lost in the hype. Honestly I understand where all the criticisms of their games come from, they've always been very easy to criticise, it just blows my mind at how invested people get in these things and then act as if Bethesda personally betrayed them when the game isn't up to their unrealistic standards. Anyway, my apologies the rant guys - I suppose this is what I get for reading comments on any website ever. :rolleyes:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Tell you what, reading the comments on reddit from those leaked videos is pretty excruciating. It's amazing how some people can get hyped up beyond belief and put no thought into the fact that this is a Bethesda game, and it will play like one. People are getting so mad at Bethesda for things that were a 100% given from day one, and its not like these things (you know what I mean, 'meh' quality writing, bad animations, relatively static world that revolves around the player, etc.) aren't legitimate things that Bethesda should at least try to improve upon, but clearly these details get lost in the hype. Honestly I understand where all the criticisms of their games come from, they've always been very easy to criticise, it just blows my mind at how invested people get in these things and then act as if Bethesda personally betrayed them when the game isn't up to their unrealistic standards. Anyway, my apologies the rant guys - I suppose this is what I get for reading comments on any website ever. :rolleyes:
What are the main things they are complaining about?

I do agree though, at this point you should know exactly what you're getting.

MK Led

Umbasa
Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Wait. Waittttt. There's no more weapon degradation??? No more repairing weapons because they stay perfect forever??? Wow. That upsets me. Why not give the noobs an auto win button while we're at it? :/

Solignac

Noob
Oh you know, the usual sort of thing (everything), but mainly the quality of the dialogue, animation and graphics.

In other news, https://vid.me/SGDK https://vid.me/JqKx

Edit: to reduce clutter I'll post this new vid here, easily the best so far, the combat looks sweet!

Also rip doggy
http://gfycat.com/OrneryObviousBirdofparadise
Yeah, I enjoyed the dialogue in Fallout 1 and 2 but that was just a different game that was more focused on story-telling. I agree with you that the dialogue is definitely lacking, despite having X amount of Charisma. It's just tough, there's so many characters and so much dialogue that needs to be written and recorded that it's unrealistic to make every character feel alive. I agree there are times where I wish I could go further with a companion's story after I've gained their trust through dialogue throughout the game (the Sydney mod in fallout 3 did this well) or not have those awkward conversations where I just saved a dudes town and he greets me with "hey." when I talk to him again. Scripted missions where you need to watch an exchange take place definitely has been awkward and mood killing in every bethesda game. Like when the emperor gets assassinated in Oblivion, dude just slowly walks up and does a lame slash and the emperor just falls over.

Animations have consistently been getting better as the games have gone on. This game is far from perfect in terms of that but by far the best in the series from what I've seen. Enemies don't just make retarded gestures when they're near each other or moonwalk in diagonal directions. It's cool seeing a struggle between a human trying to riflebutt a super mutant whose swinging his hammer or watching enemies take cover with the contextual cover system.

Graphics absolutely need work. People who say it's an RPG and graphics don't matter are just white knights trying to defend a series they dearly love. I've been a fan of the fallout series since i played the first game, and I can tell you having a shit ton of graphics mods in FO3 or NV makes it 10x more immersive than seeing muddy textures or a green tint on everything. And the faces, oh god the faces. Sometimes in morrowind and oblivion I'd have to look away.

Keep in mind that everything we've seen is on console. It is and always will be inferior to PC. They may be finally getting mods but I bet they will be much less prevalent and accessible than the already establish PC system of doing mods. Managing mods on PC is hard enough, it'll likely be a nightmare on console. While mods will later make the game likely more alive and improved as they always have, it doesn't excuse Bethesda, but you're right (again). The same issues we have had in previous games, we'll likely encounter. I think a true fallout or Bethesda fan will take time to decide if they really enjoy the game and give the game criticism where criticism is due. It's far from perfect but I reckon a game veterans and newcomers will enjoy, despite it's inevitable downfalls. Expecting this game to be a holy grail of 10/10 360 no scop3 godliness is just going to lead to disappointment. I did that once with Rome 2 and never again.

Last edited:

Solignac

Noob
That said I like the new combat, hit markers, crafting system, cover system, new vats, settlement building, new perk progression, layered armor, no loading to go into most buildings, better looking characters, armor crafting, quality of life like sprint, better animations, new attempt at dialogue with a voiced character, being able to scrap items to make new shit (redeems no repairing), better loot system, more diverse looking enemies, melee gun attacks to make combat more fluid, more dialogue than skyrim and fallout combined, more voice actors, different body types *huff *huff*

MK Led

Umbasa
Expecting this game to be a holy grail of 10/10 360 no scop3 godliness is just going to lead to disappointment. I did that once with Rome 2 and never again.
Oh god, that was the one that shipped with more game-breaking glitches than actual gameplay right?

That said I like the new combat, hit markers, crafting system, cover system, new vats, settlement building, new perk progression, layered armor, no loading to go into most buildings, better looking characters, armor crafting, quality of life like sprint, better animations, new attempt at dialogue with a voiced character, being able to scrap items to make new shit (redeems no repairing), better loot system, more diverse looking enemies, melee gun attacks to make combat more fluid, more dialogue than skyrim and fallout combined, more voice actors, different body types *huff *huff*
I feel like Bethesda's main goal with this game was to give players a fuckton of stuff to interact with and do in the world, which is fine by me. Sells the game to me more than 'OMG THERE WILL BE DRAGONS THIS TIME' (not that I would have ever considered not buying skyrim/FO4 lol).

Solignac

Noob
Here is something that counteracts some of the more simplified aspects of this game

Lots of other images here if you're interested http://imgur.com/a/MZSfz

Also multi-person conversations are now a thing, and reading some books/magazines will give you unique perks
I enjoy the diverse armor system. Before it was like, if you didn't want Power Armor then you basically used Combat Armor.