What's new

Explain to me why this game has safe 50/50s...

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Its a trident...You leave me confuse sometimes.
You're arguing technicalities m8. A lot of people call it Spear because that's what it's been called for the longest time (Due to Scorpion) Don't argue technicalities when you know what the person is talking about, it doesn't help, it's just annoying.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
You're arguing technicalities m8. A lot of people call it Spear because that's what it's been called for the longest time (Due to Scorpion) Don't argue technicalities when you know what the person is talking about, it doesn't help, it's just annoying.
Sorry, but those people would call it a trident, if they were a bit smart and had a broad lexicon. Since Smoke has the 3 chains I would call it a trident.

A spear is the one with only one spiky head. The trident itself has three spiky heads.

CrazyFingers

Sorry, but those people would call it a trident, if they were a bit smart and had a broad lexicon. Since Smoke has the 3 chains I would call it a trident.

A spear is the one with only one spiky head. The trident itself has three spiky heads.
It's still arguing technicalities. Yes TECHNICALLY it's a Trident due to the three chains but when someone says "Spear" you know what they mean and there's no point to arguing about it. It makes communication more complicated than it needs to be.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Same thing as calling almost any move with an invincible start-up a DP.. Or calling all disconnected hit-box, long distance travelling moves fireballs or projectiles (the latter being the better blanket term).. yes, maybe the move looks like something else, or has a different name, but you know what's being talked about when someone says it.

Shrug, I mean, I get both sides, but ultimately, if you say Smoke's Spear is this or that, we all understand what he's talking about.

Also, guessing is the nature of the game. Things are better now than they ever have been IMO and really, I dont see the issue with spending a bar to make something safe, but it still being negative. I mean, as a defender if they blow a bar so I cant punish, but its now *my turn* - I have no issue with that.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
B3~EX Spear is not a true blockstring.

But to answer your question, the means of making some of these mix ups safe are generally tied to an important resource, where as the best buttons for enforcing guessing games in MK9/Injustice could be enforced for free more of the time.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
It's still arguing technicalities. Yes TECHNICALLY it's a Trident due to the three chains but when someone says "Spear" you know what they mean and there's no point to arguing about it. It makes communication more complicated than it needs to be.
Technically, yes, but communically it would confuse this one to Scorpion's, so they would think that it's Scorpion himself in essence. :/

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
If you're going to argue why this game has safe 50/50's, then consider:

Scorpion: b3>Teleport Cancel (Far) or f4>Teleport Cancel (Far)
Which are both safe. Meterless too.

Most of what you originally listed has EX on it, which means you have to spend resources to make it safe, and in this instance you're spending half a bar of stamina. Now you do have few without meter I'll give you that and there are certainly others in the game however I'm not sure what kind of answer you're really looking for. My impression what you're really asking is why are there safe 50/50s in the game there shouldn't be any at all? I don't know. Personally I wouldn't like a fighting game if everything that's mid/high is safe and all overheads/lows/throws are a risk even when I spend resources in some way.

Wigy

There it is...
Mk9 had the right balance on 50/50's in my view.

I mean even in mkx i think bo's mixups are fine. He has to work his ass off to get you in a position where you're forced to guess and the mixup is generally enforced with monkey flips which is like 12% and unsafe.

Its just moron when you have characters like sub and reptile who are just half designed around stupid brainless fairly safe mixups.

Mk9 had the right balance on 50/50's in my view.

I mean even in mkx i think bo's mixups are fine. He has to work his ass off to get you in a position where you're forced to guess and the mixup is generally enforced with monkey flips which is like 12% and unsafe.

Its just moron when you have characters like sub and reptile who are just half designed around stupid brainless fairly safe mixups.
What are subz safe 50/50's? His b33 is punishable and so is his b2. You're talking in the corner with clone?

Wigy

There it is...
What are subz safe 50/50's? His b33 is punishable and so is his b2. You're yalikg in the corner with clone?
-13 with awkward blockstun and pushback.

Its punishable on paper but even without the clone there its a nightmare, borderline not doable with some characers if u do it spaced right.

His b33 is hitconfirmable into ex ice ball or shatter (yes shatter has a gap but come on)

His d3 looks like his b3 and is like -1 or something which is annoying, he has a second hit low

Then u have cryo with 8 tick grabs. One of which is off a fast as fuck mid launcher

Everyone, including characters who get less damage and oki and are more unsafe off their mixups, got nerfed. -except reptile for some stupid ass reason

CrazyFingers

What are subz safe 50/50's? His b33 is punishable and so is his b2. You're talking in the corner with clone?
Probably but I think he's talking in general how everyone else's 50/50's got altered for the most part (slowed down or made unsafe, even unsafe ones were slowed down) and yet Reptile and Sub got no changes to their overheads. However there are some characters that already has a healthy balance with their 50/50's and didn't get changed either (Butcher is one of the more balanced 50/50 characters as his unsafe option requires 100% commitment to get a lot of damage off and his overhead is a bit slower but completely safe)

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
If you're going to argue why this game has safe 50/50's, then consider:

Scorpion: b3>Teleport Cancel (Far) or f4>Teleport Cancel (Far)
Which are both safe. Meterless too.

Most of what you originally listed has EX on it, which means you have to spend resources to make it safe, and in this instance you're spending half a bar of stamina. Now you do have few without meter I'll give you that and there are certainly others in the game however I'm not sure what kind of answer you're really looking for. My impression what you're really asking is why are there safe 50/50s in the game there shouldn't be any at all? I don't know. Personally I wouldn't like a fighting game if everything that's mid/high is safe and all overheads/lows/throws are a risk even when I spend resources in some way.
I don't argue, i just state what this game have. Never said nerf, just telling you what kind of advantage some mix up character i listed have when they got just 1 bar. You can ignore Johnny and Raiden if you want.

CrazyFingers

I don't argue, i just state what this game have. Never said nerf, just telling you what kind of advantage some mix up character i listed have when they got just 1 bar. You can ignore Johnny and Raiden if you want.
So wait you're just stating that these characters have 50/50's and that's it? Am I correct in stating that?

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
So wait you're just stating that these characters have 50/50's and that's it? Am I correct in stating that?
No...a 50/50 characters i listed you can spend 1 bar to be safe if you fear they are going to block the mix up.

Last edited: