What's new

General/Other - Ermac Ermac General Discussion Thread

What are the communities thoughts on Ermac's tournament viability?
Is he considered too unsafe in a land of safe and advantage on block top tier characters?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
What are the communities thoughts on Ermac's tournament viability?
Is he considered too unsafe in a land of safe and advantage on block top tier characters?
Ermac is the MK9 Scorpion of MKX. He is way too fair for this game. His 50/50 gameplay is way too unfair compared to the top tier characters. I mean comitting into a low/oh mix up? Srsly? I would rather NRS nerfs his damage and fix his 50/50 game than this shit.

OS was the one thing that made him viable once you had mastered them. With them removed its qq for him. You cant win with d3's in a game which has no spacing at all, cause of run button and long ass safe mid advancing normals.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I spoke to Big D briefly. His thoughts were that Ermac, in the right hands was barely viable in high level play.
And he is right. Ermac was like that since day 1. Its just that no one had him figured out yet, people were still learning the game. Like @zaf and me once said during the early stages of MKX "Ermac players are getting away with murder".

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
They need to either fix his b1 string (make it a true mid like frame data indicates it is) or fix the fucking frame data cause this shit is getting ridiculous.

B1d2 is mad unsafe on block IIRC and doesnt grant you a combo, its just a hkd.

Imo, they need to make his 50/50 game easier to hit confirm into and reduce his damage in MoS.

Mystic needs either a projectile, or make TKP safer on block (around -16 to 17f) and reduce its hitbox a bit cause it will be broken as fuck.

Spectral needs to be deleted from the game. Period, i dont care what anyone says, its the WORST variation in the game.

ouch.

yeah, i feel that Ermac can't compete in a long set vs a good player.
Eventually they'll force you to start doing your OH/Low mixup all the time and punish you for it. Meanwhile they're doing safe 50/50s all over the place.
I still feel his explosive damage, stagger strings, anti-air and anti-zoning are what keep him sorta viable.
Online he seems like God though

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
I've always had one problem with Spectral Mac. The move that my whole variation is based on (ddu) is full combo punishable everytime I activate it during pressure.

It's negative on hit so I can't continue pressure even in the corner. If I do get a combo of any real damage it requires me to levitate and given its input it's not always a hit conformable thing.

B1 is low profiled.

XRAY is low profiled. I never use it but still.

My 50/50 in this variation is by far the most unsafe 50/50 in the game.

Most of my damage comes from corner gimmick or starting a ComBo with levitateING 2,3,4 string. And there's a armorable gap between each individual hit.

I got 2nd place at a tournament using him only because only 3 people there knew the MU. When played Yomi Cyusstryke(spelling?). It felt bad man. Knowing every levitate was getting punished.

The only saving grace is charge has armor and does 16% raw.

Giving my EX levitating air teleport armor isn't great since I'd have to spend 2 bars to get above 30%. It's a rare get out of jail free card.

Unfortunately I feel he's a for fun character I can only play in casuals. It's one thing to have a 50/50. It's another thing entirely when everyone else has one that goes into another 50/50, ends in a vortex to loop, or does more damage for less meter, or can be made SAFE. I ain't got those options. At the highest level of play I'm not feeling this variation.

As for Master of Souls our vortex costs infinitely more resources than any other in the game. And have you had to deal with the imposter shinnock MU you cry errytime guys. He can utilize lift better.

Master of Souls offer suffers from omid the opponent blocks your 50/50 they get big damage rivaling what you would've gotten on hit. Other characters are much safer or use less tools/resources to stuff you.

I can't combo off my WU. Which sends you full screen and I'm not a Zoning character... but Kung Lao, Kenshi, KUNG jin, Johnny Cage, Cassie Cage, Warlock Quan, Goro, Kotal, Predator, Shinnock, and plenty more have armored Wake up combo starters. Not saying Ermac needs one.

I'm saying he's missing a lot of nuance little things. All of these little things add up to a larger problem than what's on the surface. His good strings whiffing/being low-profiled getting fixed or touched up would be a start...

Sorry for the TL:Dr

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
His number 1 problem is that he does not have a SOLID mid hitting normal to counterweight his madly unsafe 50/50 gameplay. His d3 is godlike yes, maybe the best in the game, but you cant win with just down pokes in this game. They srsly need to fix b1, or at least make b32 and f43 cancelable. He is probably the only character in the game who has to commit into a mad unsafe oh combo starter and a non existant low combo starter to get his damage going.

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Ermac is the MK9 Scorpion of MKX. He is way too fair for this game. His 50/50 gameplay is way too unfair compared to the top tier characters. I mean comitting into a low/oh mix up? Srsly? I would rather NRS nerfs his damage and fix his 50/50 game than this shit.

OS was the one thing that made him viable once you had mastered them. With them removed its qq for him. You cant win with d3's in a game which has no spacing at all, cause of run button and long ass safe mid advancing normals.
the mid advancing normals / strings did it for me, guys like kotal, jax, cassie, has those really good mid advancing strings that just negates ernac's poking / footsie / space control game overall, not to mention those things are safe, for me, it's always a gamble with ermac, almost all of his strings are mad unsafe but it gives you 39-43% meterless, but yeah, an opponent who knows the mu very well won't have any problems with ermac, his mixups aren't the fastest and most definitely not the safest in this game,his build and design is more suitable for mk9 but not here

Noob
They need to either fix his b1 string (make it a true mid like frame data indicates it is) or fix the fucking frame data cause this shit is getting ridiculous.

B1d2 is mad unsafe on block IIRC and doesnt grant you a combo, its just a hkd.

Imo, they need to make his 50/50 game easier to hit confirm into and reduce his damage in MoS.

Mystic needs either a projectile, or make TKP safer on block (around -16 to 17f) and reduce its hitbox a bit cause it will be broken as fuck.

Spectral needs to be deleted from the game. Period, i dont care what anyone says, its the WORST variation in the game.
Oh my friend the lenght in which this was said here is so big that its troubling to count... Atleast once per page me or Zaf or well pretty much everyone that frequents this forum has said mystic only really needs a projectile... What is more troubling still is that NRS cant see that for themselfs...putting archtypes aside, and forgive me for using the word, but it does fit. Ermac Mystic is not where it needs to be simply because the Archtype for this variation is not complete... If only the guys at NRS could see that if a character has a tool that sends characters ful screen it nmeans he needs another to compliment that mechanic, aka, Fireball.. This is fighting game 101 i really dont understand how NRS a fighting game making company for more than 20 years cant figure this out???? is it lazyness or do they really believe Ermac should not be given a fireball? boggles the mind bro... Tremor has a similar situation as Ermac, but in Tremors case they did it right... most of his specials and some of his strings end with the opponent being tossed near full screen, at which point he has fireballs (which where buffed) to compliment his game... why cant Ermac have that as well?!

As for Spectral, its problem is that he just doesnt fit the game very well, the mechanics just seem out of place for a game such as MK... But if i where to do something to it, and for sure this would only make him average at best was give him a fireball and make flight combos a true blockstring...

I've been waiting to make this mu chart for a while.
Tanya 4-6
Predator 4-6
Tremor 6-4
Tanya Predator Tremor
Sonya 5-5
Liu kang7-3
Jason6-4?
Sonya Liu Kang Jason
Jacqui Briggs 5-5, 7-3 high tech
Takeda 6-4, 5-5 for ronin
Kung Jin 5-5
Jacqueline Briggs Takeda Kung Jin
Goro 6-4
Mileena 4-6
Ermac 10-0
Goro Mileena Ermac
Scorpion 5-5
Sub-Zero 5-5,
Cassie Cage 5-5,
Scorpion Sub-Zero Cassie Cage
D'vorah 6-4
Kotal Kahn 6-4
5-5?
D'Vorah Kotal Kahn Ferra & Torr
Raiden 5-5
6-4
6-4
Raiden Kano Reptile
6-4
4-6,
quan's broken
Kenshi Kung Lao Quan Chi
Jax 6-4
6-4 if played right.
6-4
Jax Kitana Erron Black
Shinnok 5-5
Johnny Cage 6-4
Shinnok Johnny Cage

Even- 10
Winning- 13
Losing- 5

insignis

Noob
I can't help but wonder how they justified such big negative on block for soul burst.

it is weird when almost any character in the cast has plus on block for some ex special and safe or slightly unsafe normal special. The only exception is poor Kenshi.

zaf

professor
I can't help but wonder how they justified such big negative on block for soul burst.

it is weird when almost any character in the cast has plus on block for some ex special and safe or slightly unsafe normal special. The only exception is poor Kenshi.

soul burst is negative on block to not give him meterless safe 50/50s

- ermac has ex soul blast a -5
this gives him a literal get out of jail for free card.
It makes sense.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So I've been really disenfranchised with Ermac. He's my favorite character in the series and I love his design. I just really can't stand his gameplay in MKX, it feels wrong on Ermac, but I want to be able to play my favorite character again. You guys got any suggestions for getting the hang of the Soul Amalgamation?

Two of my issues with him has been getting in. I can catch people out every once in awhile but I shouldn't rely on only catching them out. I need to figure out opening them up.

The other mounting an offensive once I'm on the defensive. Once I've been knocked down it's just eat mixups, pressure, frametraps until death. Is there a way to at least work around this?

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main

It makes sense.
There are characters with safe meterless 50/50's though, and they spend a bar to be plus on block or launches on hit.
Soul Blast is great, I'll admit, but it launches your opponent full-screen on hit and it's 18 or 22% for one bar.. Ermac doesn't build meter that well, 222xSoulBurst is your best option for building meter and starting with a high hit into ending at -14, a full punish, is a bit silly. I guess it's because it does too much damage even though it only leaves you at +3?
I agree that it shouldn't be THAT minus, but it also shouldn't be safe, -11 at least requires some effort to punish and will make it unpunishable after 222 against most of the cast, giving Ermac at least one meterbuilding option. If used with b12 (or hopefully b124 some day) into Soul Burst, he'll still be fully punished.

haketh

Noob
The other mounting an offensive once I'm on the defensive. Once I've been knocked down it's just eat mixups, pressure, frametraps until death. Is there a way to at least work around this?
You have a safe on block armor move that hits mid & a five frame D1

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
You have a safe on block armor move that hits mid & a five frame D1
For some reason online any special that starts with d doesn't come out often enough. so db1, db2, etc etc is hit or miss. But I do try to make good use of it.

As for d1 when should I throw that out? Like immediately on knock down as a wake up or after a block string. I'll admit I don't have a lot of experiance with d1, d3, d4 timings. Also after I land one or two of those what would I follow up with? Opponents hit buttons and my normals get stuffed.

Last edited:

insignis

Noob

It makes sense.
that 50/50s won't deal damage. Cassie/Sonya/Erron/etc has safe 50/50, Quan/Erron gets plus for 1 bar.

I don't see how safe burst or blast with plus on block will make Ermac OP. Ermac would have option to risk and deal damage or to stay safe.

Also I would love to see ground dissapear useful one day. With current recovery it can oppose Takeda's b123+4 only...