What's new

General/Other - Ermac Ermac General Discussion Thread

insignis

Noob
So I've been really disenfranchised with Ermac. He's my favorite character in the series and I love his design. I just really can't stand his gameplay in MKX, it feels wrong on Ermac, but I want to be able to play my favorite character again. You guys got any suggestions for getting the hang of the Soul Amalgamation?

Two of my issues with him has been getting in. I can catch people out every once in awhile but I shouldn't rely on only catching them out. I need to figure out opening them up.

The other mounting an offensive once I'm on the defensive. Once I've been knocked down it's just eat mixups, pressure, frametraps until death. Is there a way to at least work around this?
You need to use d3/d4 in offence, instant air burst, 11 and b124. Try spacing and bait opponent to whiff something.
On knckdown you should try to see if opponent respects your wake up. You can ex tp for full combo, ex burst to stay safe or ex up burst versus jump lovers. Sometimes you just need to stay on the ground to let comming offence whiff. Backdash is an option,too.

Don't forget you have armor to stop pressure - learn gaps in opponent's strings and pressure.

Sometimes you need to be YOLO :(

MBA_Ermok

Re-learning Spectral Ermac
Apologies if this is already known but I just found something out with Ermac's b2. I don't know how useful it is but it is possible to buffer ex'd moves while charging the b2.

If you input say ex teleport while charging the b2, Ermac will stay in his charged stance so long as you are still holding 2 and upon release or fully charged, he will do the ex teleport instead of the b2.

Looks deceiving and could catch some people off guard.

A Trending topic among various forums right now is, "what do you think ______ will get with KP2." 4 characters means 4 more balance patches and a likely hood that our Congregation of Souls will be adjusted in some way. I'm interested in seeing what the Ermac community could Reasonably expect.

Personally I wish that 22 and b1 would no longer whiff on crouching opponents. Also, some lowered block disadvantage in Mystic to make it more usable. Other than that nothing much comes to mind.

@zaf
@Big D

I dont play ermac

Dont tag me.

A Trending topic among various forums right now is, "what do you think ______ will get with KP2." 4 characters means 4 more balance patches and a likely hood that our Congregation of Souls will be adjusted in some way. I'm interested in seeing what the Ermac community could Reasonably expect.

Personally I wish that 22 and b1 would no longer whiff on crouching opponents. Also, some lowered block disadvantage in Mystic to make it more usable. Other than that nothing much comes to mind.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/changes-ermac-needs-with-kp2.57538/page-3#post-1969510

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Im thinking of picking up Ermac - he was one of my alts in MK9 and loved playing him. Are there any good guides for him?

chrisisnice

I made this awhile ago: http://testyourmight.com/threads/ermac-mos-combo-guide-vortex-basic.50418/, most combo's are outdated but should help you get started. Also check out my updated video:
or the one by Insignis:
Thanks for that... the link you gave me was particularly helpful with all of the beginner combos. I was doing them in no time. I am not going in to the more complex ones until I figure out his game.

MK9 Ermac's sweet spot was 3/4 screen due to the threat of push/spark/teleport. In MKX, there in no push, lift seems useless and you don't want to throw out your special soul balls so where is best to play him now? It feels like outside 1/2 screen he is in no mans land. You can bait out projectiles etc to tele, but if you read wrong, you will get heavily punished.

Also, is vanish just a gimmick for the most part?

I hope you don't mind me asking a few stupid questions in this thread to get my head around his basics.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Thanks for that... the link you gave me was particularly helpful with all of the beginner combos. I was doing them in no time. I am not going in to the more complex ones until I figure out his game.

MK9 Ermac's sweet spot was 3/4 screen due to the threat of push/spark/teleport. In MKX, there in no push, lift seems useless and you don't want to throw out your special soul balls so where is best to play him now? It feels like outside 1/2 screen he is in no mans land. You can bait out projectiles etc to tele, but if you read wrong, you will get heavily punished.

Also, is vanish just a gimmick for the most part?

I hope you don't mind me asking a few stupid questions in this thread to get my head around his basics.
vanish is a gimmick but can be used to punish certain wake ups (laos spin) , i would call ermac a reactionary character cause for me everything he does is too punishable,, his pokes are bad on block great on hit , use lots of throws and instant air blasts 8)

chrisisnice

Hi all

If there is a Ermac PM group, can I please get an invite? I have been playing Big Mac and Ferra Torr all weekend and want to learn more :D

If there is not one... I suppose I will survive :p

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
@ spectral players

What are you guys doing on knockdown? I usually run in for a b124, d1/d3 and keep pressure. Sometimes i do soul Ascension into ground pound if I think they're going to delay wakeup, which hasn't yielded consistent results. I tried the b2 charge thing reo showed in his post but I find myself getting blown up too often. On a related note, is soul charge always the optimal ender? It's his highest damage ender I know and the advantage seems pretty good as well, just wondering if there were any situations where a different ender might be used.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
@ spectral players

What are you guys doing on knockdown? I usually run in for a b124, d1/d3 and keep pressure. Sometimes i do soul Ascension into ground pound if I think they're going to delay wakeup, which hasn't yielded consistent results. I tried the b2 charge thing reo showed in his post but I find myself getting blown up too often. On a related note, is soul charge always the optimal ender? It's his highest damage ender I know and the advantage seems pretty good as well, just wondering if there were any situations where a different ender might be used.
After BF2 ender you can Corpse Hop to mix up the opponents inputs. (Basically you can run over their body and switch sides) followed up by B12 (sometimes throw the 4 in there) or F4 in to soul accession while keeping an eye on ememy meter. B2 charge is an option but without it being actually unblockable, theres nothing really to respect so I tend to avoid it in Spectral. Raw soul accession works aswell but risky. (Raw soul ascension is actually where his max damage starts.) :)

Nausea

Soul Ascended
He dosen't need much. MoS is solid as is and if they remove the gaps in Spectral Soul Ascension 1,2,3,4 everything will be marvelous.

If they make Mystic viable that be pretty swell too. :DOGE

All I'd ask for is fixing B1 so that it in fact hits mid.

Fix 22 to stop whiffing on crouching opponents which I recall working fine until their last patch.

Reduced recovery from Disappear/Vanish so that certain moves can be punished a bit easier (air teleports/stomps)

Perhaps reduced Soul Assencion startup to 1 frame, or reduce landing frames. That way one could actually launch then go into soul ascent and continue to combo anywhere instead of just the corner.

After that we all know what general assistance Mystic needs, however his other 2 variations would be fine.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Perhaps reduced Soul Assencion startup to 1 frame, or reduce landing frames. That way one could actually launch then go into soul ascent and continue to combo anywhere instead of just the corner.
He can man! Look! (Just noticed you said launch but hopefully this is new to someone!)

Spectral is Ermacs best variation, its just so execution heavy currently that MoS is much more practical to use until some adjustments have been made! Reduced start up would give him cancel mindgames which sounds amazing tbf!
Other 3 points are spot on though. When B1 whiffs, I die a little each time...