What's new

General/Other - Ermac Ermac General Discussion Thread

zaf

professor
" Well F3 on block is safe at -3 and we all know by staggering the string you can mix them up with B3 or F4"

This is something I have been doing.
I have also been using B3/F4, B12, D3, grabs, instant air soul blast etc. Pretty much anything I want.

Like you mentioned, the F3 is -2, so you cant always guarantee what you will be doing will not be poked out of.
For people who start to D1 or D3 poke you out after F3 stagger, I do armor.
You can also just block in anticipation of their poke. Once there poke is blocked, you can continue to pressure again. There are generally two outcomes in this scenario

1 - You F3 and block. Opponent does a D1 and presses another button to go into a string, even though D1 is blocked. You can do 222 into combo in between their D1 and their string for a punish
2 - You F3 and block. Opponent does D1 and blocks. You can continue to pressure after this.

So yea, This is something I have already incorporated into my game. But this is definitely good to get out there for the others.

Noob
" Well F3 on block is safe at -3 and we all know by staggering the string you can mix them up with B3 or F4"

This is something I have been doing.
I have also been using B3/F4, B12, D3, grabs, instant air soul blast etc. Pretty much anything I want.

Like you mentioned, the F3 is -2, so you cant always guarantee what you will be doing will not be poked out of.
For people who start to D1 or D3 poke you out after F3 stagger, I do armor.
You can also just block in anticipation of their poke. Once there poke is blocked, you can continue to pressure again. There are generally two outcomes in this scenario

1 - You F3 and block. Opponent does a D1 and presses another button to go into a string, even though D1 is blocked. You can do 222 into combo in between their D1 and their string for a punish
2 - You F3 and block. Opponent does D1 and blocks. You can continue to pressure after this.

So yea, This is something I have already incorporated into my game. But this is definitely good to get out there for the others.
Yeah i Thought so 2, I shared mostly cause i wanted to give some more detailed info on the benefits of FJ IA FB, i believe this is the next step in execution for those able to do so. with Fj like i explained the reaction time from a landed D3 into FJ IA FB is so fast and quite safe even on block it warrents its full use; Even outside of this mixup situation, if you just counter poking someone its a nice tool to go for...

Executing a IA FB with FJ instead of NJ can be quite tricky and it does require practice, but if anyone can land the NJ jump version i believe the leep to the FJ version is not that great.

Another thing i have been taking a look at is the BJ version as an anti air tool... its still a WIP cause i havent quite made up my mind if the execution required for this warrents its use more than trying to go for a traditional Anti Air tool, my reasoning for wanting to use it is the increased meter gain, but im still in tests for it, ill let everyone know once i figured it out a bit further, or if anyone tests this before me feel free to share your findings...

zaf

professor
Yeah i Thought so 2, I shared mostly cause i wanted to give some more detailed info on the benefits of FJ IA FB, i believe this is the next step in execution for those able to do so. with Fj like i explained the reaction time from a landed D3 into FJ IA FB is so fast and quite safe even on block it warrents its full use; Even outside of this mixup situation, if you just counter poking someone its a nice tool to go for...

Executing a IA FB with FJ instead of NJ can be quite tricky and it does require practice, but if anyone can land the NJ jump version i believe the leep to the FJ version is not that great.

Another thing i have been taking a look at is the BJ version as an anti air tool... its still a WIP cause i havent quite made up my mind if the execution required for this warrents its use more than trying to go for a traditional Anti Air tool, my reasoning for wanting to use it is the increased meter gain, but im still in tests for it, ill let everyone know once i figured it out a bit further, or if anyone tests this before me feel free to share your findings...
I've been trying out BJ and NJ instant air blast as an anti air, especially at the start of a match because it usually also covers advancing normals or someone running at you to grab. So why not cover 3 options right ? The problem with using this as an anti air, is that the hitbox of the move is quite low, around your feet area. It doesnt cover the top of your head. So very often, will you be hit out of the air even though it looks like you are hitting them.

Noob
I've been trying out BJ and NJ instant air blast as an anti air, especially at the start of a match because it usually also covers advancing normals or someone running at you to grab. So why not cover 3 options right ? The problem with using this as an anti air, is that the hitbox of the move is quite low, around your feet area. It doesnt cover the top of your head. So very often, will you be hit out of the air even though it looks like you are hitting them.
Yeah i had similar experience with both BJ and NJ as well, on some matchups i found some success but i would have to study in more detail which cases i can or cant use it reliably... i wont dismiss this option just yet, because i think there is some good to be used in here, but its just not for every MU...

Reactions: zaf

haketh

Noob
I really need to find max damage converts from raw F3 hits, I've even been having a solid time getting it to work as AA.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
F3 has it's spots. It "can" be good against some people who use NJP a lot. But at the same time, B1 might be better and more reliable.
B1 protects your hitbox a bit more and has more vertical range. If someone is NJPing then just throw out a lift and stay safe.

zaf

professor
B1 protects your hitbox a bit more and has more vertical range. If someone is NJPing then just throw out a lift and stay safe.
You can do this, but it usually has to be outside of sweep range. It has really bad hitboxes up close and usually whiffs when you can even see the souls touching them. I do use lift, especially agaisnt D'Vorah, Takeda and other chars with really strong NJP. You only get 4% off a normal lift. You would need to spend meter to get an actual combo. Not complaining, just listing the risk rewards. B1 yields a full combo without meter.

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
A well timed d4 can lead to a 37% meterless combo. That and b1 seem to be the best options outside of d2 or db2u

Last edited:

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
is it rather safe or is it recommended to add a throw as a mindgame option after f3 or is it easily pokeable? im thinking if a smart player already knows my b3 f4 option, im thinking of adding d3 to grab or b124 string pressure

Noob
is it rather safe or is it recommended to add a throw as a mindgame option after f3 or is it easily pokeable? im thinking if a smart player already knows my b3 f4 option, im thinking of adding d3 to grab or b124 string pressure
Read a couple posts back for the F3 options, the discussion with me and Zaf about its potential mix ups and followups, as for grab yes it can be poked out but again read mine as Zafs posts about it and youll get an idea of how to implement Grab into your F3 mixups

Noob
Damn today i was blessed with the execution of a god, you know those days where you cant hit Sh..t regardless of how hard you try so you go to training mode to frustrate yourself a bit more??? yeah, well that was me yesterday, couldnt do a single decent IA blast or soul ball... But today omg, its the complete opposite, im having one of those GOD mode engage moments... i think i never done insta airs this low to the ground its ridiculous, i need to be nerfed, pardon the lack of modesti LOL. have you guys ever had something like this?

Damn today i was blessed with the execution of a god, you know those days where you cant hit Sh..t regardless of how hard you try so you go to training mode to frustrate yourself a bit more??? yeah, well that was me yesterday, couldnt do a single decent IA blast or soul ball... But today omg, its the complete opposite, im having one of those GOD mode engage moments... i think i never done insta airs this low to the ground its ridiculous, i need to be nerfed, pardon the lack of modesti LOL. have you guys ever had something like this?
i have very serious problem with air soul balls. i use dual shock 4 and mainly game on a pc version, and i found little cheat which made me air projectile god on a pc version. on a pc version it is allowed to map input to additional buttons. what i mean by this is that i remapped left to l1, and right to r1, keeping original dpad movement intact at the same time, and interact to l3 (pressing analog) and grab to r3. this allowed me to cast air balls with amazing precision. i needed to input up l1 r1 which is much easier then doing it on dpad. but then i started playing on ps4 and realized that it is not allowed to map buttons like this on a console, so immediately i encountered a problem which made me very weak. and since i cannot do air balls on dpad my ermac became obsolete.
right now im trying to find a way to do consistent air balls but so far i am not doing so great. i can't slide my finger properly in one big smooth movement for up left right for instant projectile... there must be somekind of a way to do this... how do you do it?
recently i found a way which gives me better results, but it is still inconsistent, im pressing with my big thumb up+left and then slide to right.

Noob
i have very serious problem with air soul balls. i use dual shock 4 and mainly game on a pc version, and i found little cheat which made me air projectile god on a pc version. on a pc version it is allowed to map input to additional buttons. what i mean by this is that i remapped left to l1, and right to r1, keeping original dpad movement intact at the same time, and interact to l3 (pressing analog) and grab to r3. this allowed me to cast air balls with amazing precision. i needed to input up l1 r1 which is much easier then doing it on dpad. but then i started playing on ps4 and realized that it is not allowed to map buttons like this on a console, so immediately i encountered a problem which made me very weak. and since i cannot do air balls on dpad my ermac became obsolete.
right now im trying to find a way to do consistent air balls but so far i am not doing so great. i can't slide my finger properly in one big smooth movement for up left right for instant projectile... there must be somekind of a way to do this... how do you do it?
recently i found a way which gives me better results, but it is still inconsistent, im pressing with my big thumb up+left and then slide to right.
I understand your problem and this took me quite a few hours i9n training to find a way that works for me, so let me try to explain what i do maybe it will help you get to a motion your confurtable with...
so what i do can be kinda considered a 360 shortcut much like those of a grappler character would use for comand grabs in Street Fighter, MKX is quite lenient in the way it stores inputs, so in theory what you need to press is (in pc mapping) 846 for a consistent insta air soul ball... but its easier said then done, cause doing perfect inputs for this is quite hard in the DS4, so what i did was i gave the game a simple motion that contained all this inputs and more just to make it easier on my hand... the inputs are as follows: with your character facing Right do a Street Fighter fireball motion 874 and then slide your thumb to press 3.. so to put it simple i do a fireball motion from Up to Left this will garantee me the jump and the Back inputs, and then i press diagonal Down Right.. note that i dont do a motion on diagonal down, i actually press 3, what this gives me is more inputs than the fireball requires but the game doesnt recognise the inputs Down and Diagonal Right (23) as being valid for anything but it does know that 46 is the fireball comand, so it just gives me soul ball... then its just a matter of perfecting the inputs, make sure you do the Fireball motion on 874 and not just Diagonal Up Left (7) because the game will not give you a Up back input from that, so you really need to do a fireball motion with your thumb... Hope that helps

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
Was a set I did on our stream tonight. I don't know this match up very well and my connection to Ohio can be spotty at times. Not my best work.

Noob
Was a set I did on our stream tonight. I don't know this match up very well and my connection to Ohio can be spotty at times. Not my best work.
Your not confurtable with insta air soul ball full screen? cause you got punished a couple times when he jumped over your grounded soul ball. and insta air soul balls always catch ppl running or jumping. Also from full screen you can be a bit more pro active before sending a soul ball, its not like he can close the distance fast enouth to punish ground pounds, Other than that, you did pretty nice aside from some stuff here and there LOL.

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
I cant do IASB on pad. What I typically do are a few ground pounds to get them moving forward. Then Air Disspear. When they jump, re-appear and catch them with Soul Ball.

I can do IAB by itself offine and even online off of d3's and b12 but only under optimal connections. This one was a bit rough. My biggest pet peeve is how unreliable anti air normals seem for cross up jumps online. But that's the way it is I spose.

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
Side note. We're hearing rumors the patch is sometime this week and as feared Ermac's going to get some hefty damage scaling after Soul Ball in MOS.