What's new

General/Other - Ermac Ermac General Discussion Thread

Afumba

Noob
I've had people low profile under f34

No that isn't a typo lol
I had this happening to me at times awhile back as well. A Scorpion/Cassie player that i play sometimes used to full combo me out of it on rare occasions as well - without armoring out. After testing that in the lab i came to the conclusion that it was somewhat my own fault though. I was too predictable with the string. In such a case you can duck block f3 from about half his max range and further away and punish before the overheads come out. From that range you can also low profile it/neutral crouch but not on reaction.

So yea... basically some semi useless infos :D

Noob
Well generally if someone is passive against Ermac, it is because they are not familiar with the match up. OR they can be expecting pokes in certain scenarios and are looking to bait them / block them and start their own pressure. In which you are taking advantage of this.
If you do not mine me asking, what exactly have you been doing to rush down the opponent ?

Hasn't happened to me yet, but why am I not surprised ?
If i was back in the US it would be so much easier to show some of my gameplay, unfortunally im not at the moment so ill try to explain my offense as best i can ( or if anyone here is in EU atm i could play them, let me know it would be fun to play some of you guys) well then, lets see, i was a NightWing player so im very poky poky bait if you know what i mean, this is my oppening set up to see how the opponent behaves and if he will block my more advanced stuff:

i do 11 a lot to test the waters and to go into my other set ups, most comun for me, if the opponent is not that strong, is to mix up either instant Air Force blast or B3 after the 11 is blocked. depending on what i see ill adapt, if he defaults to low block a lot ill do instant AFB into F4 and combo... a well done AFB on hit staggers well enouth and leaves the opponent going WTF just happened!! long enouth for a F4 to connect on the tip... if he starts catch on to this, i mix all 3 options up. AFB into B3 mixup, 11 into B321.

I love doing F2 for some nice frames and going for something tricky like D3xxAFB into the mix ups i mentioned, or F3 mix ups...
I use B124 a lot as my spacing tool, since iv been playing Ermac for a long time i mostly figured out the jump arcs for everyone in the roster, so i became quite good at anti airing with B1 and going for a combo from there, but i do do the usual B12 mix up or just let B124 rip ocasionally.

As for far away game, i rarely do standing fireball, i just see litle profit from it, so i always try my best to do it insta air as well, can catch them running or jumping, so its a win win scenario for me, i actually like using levitate a lot for 2 things, ground slam obviously, on some MUs its quite nice to be honest, and i like to Bait runners with it, by doing Levitate cancels or Vanish, they are not the best of tools but surprisingly enouth some ppl still get caught by them... Also ppl like the 222 string a lot, i usually dont use it unless my opponent is very good, and i would need another layer of pokes to mix then up...

You might have noticed that i like to do insta air stuff a lot XD, well its fun to do and online ppl never expect a random dude to have that much execution to do that kind of stuff so i really really like doing it, and it works really well since its another added layer of mix ups that ppl never look for...

Last edited:

zaf

professor
@14K
When it comes to 11 pressure... the one thing I would just like to add, is that I would also recommend ( I am sure you already do this but....) to mix up 1, 11 and 111. If you always do your mix up after 11, then it just becomes a matter of hitting you with armor because this is predictable. Despite how strong the mix up game is after 11, armor still wins. That is all that I would add to what you mentioned on 11.

"I love doing F2 for some nice frames and going for something tricky like D3xxAFB into the mix ups i mentioned, or F3 mix ups..."

What do you mean by nice frames off F2 ? This is -2....

Last edited:

Noob
@14K
What do you mean by nice frames off F2 ? This is -2....
Not when they think you are going to finish the string it isnt, wink wink XD. yeah i know its -2 but i usually test the waters before doing F2 alone, the 2 things i look for is, if i do F21D2, are they are willing to armor out and spend the bar or if they are ok with taking the full string in which most cases i will be able to still pressure afterwards. IF and this is very big and rare IF they do want to spend the meter before the launcher i will start doing F212, less advantage but still safe enouth... the F2 comes when i feel they saw enouth of the string to not press buttons, by then F2 alone is good enouth...

As for the 11 thing, yeah, it comes to reading the opponent, if they like to D1 or D3 a lot ill avoid doing 11, space 1 because ill most likely get poked out because 1 is a high so ill 111 then enouth to teach them not to press anything and then ill go back to the 11 1 pressure, if they are not that kind of online players it usually means free reign on 11s 1s mixups or 2 into grab or mixup.

zaf

professor
Not when they think you are going to finish the string it isnt, wink wink XD. yeah i know its -2 but i usually test the waters before doing F2 alone, the 2 things i look for is, if i do F21D2, are they are willing to armor out and spend the bar or if they are ok with taking the full string in which most cases i will be able to still pressure afterwards. IF and this is very big and rare IF they do want to spend the meter before the launcher i will start doing F212, less advantage but still safe enouth... the F2 comes when i feel they saw enouth of the string to not press buttons, by then F2 alone is good enouth...

As for the 11 thing, yeah, it comes to reading the opponent, if they like to D1 or D3 a lot ill avoid doing 11, space 1 because ill most likely get poked out because 1 is a high so ill 111 then enouth to teach them not to press anything and then ill go back to the 11 1 pressure, if they are not that kind of online players it usually means free reign on 11s 1s mixups or 2 into grab or mixup.
Oh okay, so you just mean to stagger the string and stop at F2. Then yes this is something I also still use. -2 really isn't anything.

All of the local people I play, they know how to option select the armor for this string.
Meaning that if i do F212, they keep blocking and if i do F21D2, they armor me. Eventually, all high level players will do this I imagine.

Noob
Oh okay, so you just mean to stagger the string and stop at F2. Then yes this is something I also still use. -2 really isn't anything.

All of the local people I play, they know how to option select the armor for this string.
Meaning that if i do F212, they keep blocking and if i do F21D2, they armor me. Eventually, all high level players will do this I imagine.
Hmmm i feel its more MUs specific then just doing for the sake of saying hey look i broke your string, EX: if you are Erron Black it makes sense for you to Break the F21D2 with sand. It leads to a decent combo/pressure and there is no downside honestly, but not all characters get advantages from this i imagine, it comes down to something like, resource dependency. So what i do is based on MU ofc, my 2 options are usually the following, if the opponent is strong enouth and ofc willing to spend bar like that, if his character has a launcher i dont test it more than once, i mean being punished once for it is usually deterent enouth for me to not do it again, in this case ill move on to F212, its not the best but it will keep me safe, so thats as much as i can ask for... the 2nd option is what i call a win situation for you even tho it might not feel like it... Same situation, ofc lets assume the opponent is willing to spend bar to break a simple string, but this time the opponent doesnt have a solid launcher to punish me with, so wat i do is, if i dont want the opponent to have a lot of meter, usually near the end of the match, i will always go for that string if i have enouth life left, because the decision itself will be a mix up on your behalf. This is mostly a proven theory against strong players, if they have 2 bars and they dont have a launcher armor that can kill you in that combo they will rarely armor out of your string, its just a waste of resources for a space gainer that will net you around 13% without potential of combo... in which case you will always put him in the situation of having to take the following pressure or decide the be out of a breaker or EX to get some space from you or combo extentder... You take dmg, but honestly life is also a resource you have to play around with, and honestly EX meter is more valuable than a life if you have enouth of it... But like you said doing F2 after showing a couple full strings will catch anyone, even a pro player might not have the reactions to do anything if he is looking for the full string to come out, i might not do it quite as often if i feel the opponent is smart enouth, but it still an option... Your Best tool is the one you praticly never use... think about it if you go to a first to 10 set without using F2 Stagger or F4 even once, and on your last few matchs you add it in to your arsenal of mix ups and staggers, the opponent will be like WTF is this... this goes for any move, i can go full matchs without doing a single vortex, even bating that im gonna do one but never actually do it, so when i finally do it ppl are not even looking for it, its not even in their mind that something like that will come out...

zaf

professor
@14K yea i can agree with you
Definitely match up based. If the character does not have an armored launcher, then I definitely agree that you can mind game them to trade meter with you for life.

But characters like erron black or cassie, You don't always want to give them this opportunity.

Reactions: 14K

zaf

professor
i cant even comprehend how that is done.
Here

Ermac Does F21D2

After the block the 1, you do the armored launcher then press block again after it. ( If you are fast enough, after you block the 1, you let go off block dial in the special, then press block twice and hold it after the 2nd time)
You can do this against cassie B124 as well.

Noob
When a match starts, what's the first move you guys do?
i piss my pants cause i think Ermac loses all its matchups, no just joking, i like the backdash option, never lets me down LOL, but if they are jumpers you can time it with a B1 into a full combo

Here

Ermac Does F21D2

After the block the 1, you do the armored launcher then press block again after it. ( If you are fast enough, after you block the 1, you let go off block dial in the special, then press block twice and hold it after the 2nd time)
You can do this against cassie B124 as well.
this is the stuff of astrophysics...
When a match starts, what's the first move you guys do?
backdash, block, instant air soul ball - in that priority.

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
Depending on who I'm playing. Random online I'll walk back 2 steps and duck,, wait for them to jump/teleport/roll/slide/throw projectile for a few moments.

Otherwise gradually move forward and poke with d3 or b12

ANSHOXX

What if?
Hi guys. Im new to the forum and Im new to fighting games (started playing MKX ~2 Months ago). My Main is Ermac, I can play some other Characters as well, but most time I just play Ermac and want him as my Main. I play the game on X1 and PS4^^

All his Combos are no problem (the only one thats a little harder to hit online for me is TP D1 into Soul Ball/EX Telehang or what its called). But I have two problems: I cant deal with pressure. Especially with fast Strings and all the Strings that are safe on block. Most time I try to poke D1 or D3 or to do EX DB2 (which helps most of the time). Sometimes I EX TP when Im in the corner, but against some Chars its a little inconsistent and I feel DB2 EX is better. Any suggestions?
The other thing is, how to do a lot of pressure myself? Often I just mixup the Low/OH Strings when I dont expect a wakeup and sometimes if he blocks F21D2 I poke D1 immediatly and go into B12 (I have seen this multiple times on Sonicfox's Ermac lol). But I am a little clueless on how to deal that much pressure. I know Ermac is pretty unsafe, but there are such good Ermac out there with much much much pressure. Any suggestions as well?

The day before yesterday I played with LegenderyMyth and IrishMantis (maybe some1 knows this EU players) and... WTF I could just watch my Ermac die all the time.

Atm my Ermac is a little Yolo style with poking D3/D1 1-2 times and the OH/Low, but I think thats a little stupid. But as a beginner its hard for me to figure out what to do against good players :/

Thanks to all you Ermacs :D

Noob
Hi guys. Im new to the forum and Im new to fighting games (started playing MKX ~2 Months ago). My Main is Ermac, I can play some other Characters as well, but most time I just play Ermac and want him as my Main. I play the game on X1 and PS4^^

All his Combos are no problem (the only one thats a little harder to hit online for me is TP D1 into Soul Ball/EX Telehang or what its called). But I have two problems: I cant deal with pressure. Especially with fast Strings and all the Strings that are safe on block. Most time I try to poke D1 or D3 or to do EX DB2 (which helps most of the time). Sometimes I EX TP when Im in the corner, but against some Chars its a little inconsistent and I feel DB2 EX is better. Any suggestions?
The other thing is, how to do a lot of pressure myself? Often I just mixup the Low/OH Strings when I dont expect a wakeup and sometimes if he blocks F21D2 I poke D1 immediatly and go into B12 (I have seen this multiple times on Sonicfox's Ermac lol). But I am a little clueless on how to deal that much pressure. I know Ermac is pretty unsafe, but there are such good Ermac out there with much much much pressure. Any suggestions as well?

The day before yesterday I played with LegenderyMyth and IrishMantis (maybe some1 knows this EU players) and... WTF I could just watch my Ermac die all the time.

Atm my Ermac is a little Yolo style with poking D3/D1 1-2 times and the OH/Low, but I think thats a little stupid. But as a beginner its hard for me to figure out what to do against good players :/

Thanks to all you Ermacs :D
I Know and got beat and have beaten both the players you mentioned we trade games quite frequently... They are pretty good, some of the best the EU online can offer. Ermac is not like Kung lao and such characters that can pressure almost endlessly without giving out to mcuh negative frames, Ermac (specially online) has to play a more footsie game, lots of 11 or B12 to set up more complicated mix ups. As Ermac probably more than most characters you really need to know your match ups, both character and player wise...

ANSHOXX

What if?
Besides its hard for me to deal with Predator and his D4. I dont know what to do except backdashing and zoning (which is pretty hard vs Hish Qu Ten). I mean if I trade he gets full combo, but nearly no Predator is that retarded to trade with my soulball. TP is unsafe, pokes dont work most of the time (even if I block his D4 I cant use the +frames to do anything useful myself). What do u guys do vs Predators which do D4s all day?

Noob
Besides its hard for me to deal with Predator and his D4. I dont know what to do except backdashing and zoning (which is pretty hard vs Hish Qu Ten). I mean if I trade he gets full combo, but nearly no Predator is that retarded to trade with my soulball. TP is unsafe, pokes dont work most of the time (even if I block his D4 I cant use the +frames to do anything useful myself). What do u guys do vs Predators which do D4s all day?
Predator is a diferent story, i also play him as my 2nd... Right now that character is really strong, if not top 3 material, if you have a problem with HQT, your gameplan is simple, it might seem like he can zone you out but he cant, if you time your levitates to ground slam just right his fireball will go under you and the slam will punish, pratice it out, its matter of timing, use this to frustrate him into coming in... here things get trickier, he has better frames and range than you so what you want is to move in try to poke 11 or B12 into a mix up and run away, Predators D1 and D3 are beyond amazing up close and his D4 will cover longer ranged footsies, so just go in poke and try to mix up for a combo if that doesnt work get some space between you and him... outside of this or something my fellow Ermacs would add to this, only actually playing you could i see what your doing wrong...

ANSHOXX

What if?
The poking thing does not work against decent Predators. So I have to space them out and control the space out of reach of D4 (B22 D2/Trap/LowLaser is also really annoying when I want to play the spacing game). Meh, I have to practice this Match Up alot or I have to use Pred myself, my Pred is pretty solid in fact that I played him not that much, its annoying that my pred is doing better in many matchups :/

Thx for the replies. If u want we can play some matches so u can see what Im doing wrong. But I swear, if your pred is solid it will wreck my Ermac :D

Noob
The poking thing does not work against decent Predators. So I have to space them out and control the space out of reach of D4 (B22 D2/Trap/LowLaser is also really annoying when I want to play the spacing game). Meh, I have to practice this Match Up alot or I have to use Pred myself, my Pred is pretty solid in fact that I played him not that much, its annoying that my pred is doing better in many matchups :/

Thx for the replies. If u want we can play some matches so u can see what Im doing wrong. But I swear, if your pred is solid it will wreck my Ermac :D
Yes it does m8, just gotta learn how to do it properly ;) its all about finness LOL hit me with your PSN ill add you up when i get home