What's new

Dark Souls 3 Discussion Thread

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Ripostes were nerfed also. Unless your using a fumeultra greatsword you aren't gonna one shot someone with a crit unless you get super lucky with engraved gauntlets. You can just two hand an ultragreatsword or greathammer and you can't be parried. You can also jump attack or use magic and like I said monastery scimitar was nerfed and it's way harder to parry in this DS2 over DS1.
When I parried someone and menu swapped to a Curved Dragon Greatsword then outcryed them on wake-up they weren't getting up..

Heavy strength weapons having unparriable attacks didn't mean anything because the whole move-set was so slow that you wouldn't hit anything anyway. Backstabs were so powerful and fast in DS1 that parrying was a risk, it had no risk in DS2 because it recovers fast and all the solutions you state i.e. slow magic spells with the nerfed cast speed ring, slow unparriable weapons that wouldn't hit a blind person and jump attacks mean nothing.

"Parry spam" was a legitimate playstyle in that game especially if you had a buffed fast 1 handed weapon in the other hand

1:11 in this video pretty much explains what I'm talking about

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
I would have survived a curved dragon greatsword riposte and outcry- they would probably only take about 900hp from me on the build I'm using. Meaning it would take three reps to kill me assuming I don't heal. Also you need to learn how to use strengh weapons properly. You can't really dead angle in this game but playing unlocked certainly make UGS way more effective. The only reason you wouldn't be able tp hit someone would be because your r1 mashing. With the pure reach on these weapons you need to learn to pursue peoples rolls with them. Lets say I'm using a cryp blacksword.

If I start my r2 right before someone's roll I will hit them post roll. The effectiveness of this depends on their equip load but will usually work. You need to angle yourself manually to hit them out of their roll. Again with Fume UGS you can use the L2 when two handed with heavy armor and you can block a hit when you swing. This deals huge damage to your opponent and minuscule to you.

You need to practice! Here watch oro:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Going back to playing DkS1 after have been playing DkS2 for so long, it's actually a lot more different than I remember, and more difficult. The enemies are just smarter and more unique as far as their attacks are concerned, and it's a lot hard to just roll through their attacks than in DkS2. Parrying is waay more consistent though which is awesome.

I also happen to be playing with carpal tunnel, which is making things much harder, lol. But I'm up for the challenge, that's why we play souls games in the first place right? lol

Any more news on DkS3? It seems every time I hear something new it's already posted on here, so I assume there's no new news.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
Ripostes were nerfed also. Unless your using a fumeultra greatsword you aren't gonna one shot someone with a crit unless you get super lucky with engraved gauntlets. You can just two hand an ultragreatsword or greathammer and you can't be parried. You can also jump attack or use magic and like I said monastery scimitar was nerfed and it's way harder to parry in this DS2 over DS1.
remember the mundane weapon fiasco after parries

Zabru

Going back to playing DkS1 after have been playing DkS2 for so long, it's actually a lot more different than I remember, and more difficult. The enemies are just smarter and more unique as far as their attacks are concerned, and it's a lot hard to just roll through their attacks than in DkS2. Parrying is waay more consistent though which is awesome.

I also happen to be playing with carpal tunnel, which is making things much harder, lol. But I'm up for the challenge, that's why we play souls games in the first place right? lol

Any more news on DkS3? It seems every time I hear something new it's already posted on here, so I assume there's no new news.
I don't know about the actual A.I. being smarter in DS1 but then enemies were certainly much cooler and interesting. Also rolling was harder but only much harder cause the rolling when you are locked on is so annoying in that game due to four direction rolls and the curve style it takes when you roll. DS3 will hark back to DS1 regarding mechanics. Unfortunately we will have that lag backstab/ run at my shoulder bro shit from DS1 back. As well as annoying lock on rolls. On the flips side we get sick parrys and beastly dead angles. I hate how I can't fucking turn my weapon more the like 20 degrees in DS2.

remember the mundane weapon fiasco after parries
3800 backstabs were the best! Nah I'm okay with the nerf and very glad, but I'm sad they nerfed riposte damage as well as mundane. I mean nerf Backstabs but why riposte after parry? I mean after the monastery scimitar nerf if you parry someone they deserve to almost die in one hit- or at least lose half their life. With the mundane, crit nerf and dagger nerf it just isn't worth using a dagger at all.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I don't know about the actual A.I. being smarter in DS1 but then enemies were certainly much cooler and interesting. Also rolling was harder but only much harder cause the rolling when you are locked on is so annoying in that game due to four direction rolls and the curve style it takes when you roll. DS3 will hark back to DS1 regarding mechanics. Unfortunately we will have that lag backstab/ run at my shoulder bro shit from DS1 back. As well as annoying lock on rolls. On the flips side we get sick parrys and beastly dead angles. I hate how I can't fucking turn my weapon more the like 20 degrees in DS2.

3800 backstabs were the best! Nah I'm okay with the nerf and very glad, but I'm sad they nerfed riposte damage as well as mundane. I mean nerf Backstabs but why riposte after parry? I mean after the monastery scimitar nerf if you parry someone they deserve to almost die in one hit- or at least lose half their life. With the mundane, crit nerf and dagger nerf it just isn't worth using a dagger at all.
Yeah, 4 directional rolls as oppose to omni directional is kinda a step backwards imo. That's one thing I believe DkS2 did right. And the backstab fishing in DkS1 is really dumb and too good, however in DkS3 from what has been said, you have to be at the perfect spot right behind them for the backstab to activate. Hopefully this means no shoulder backstabs, but we'll see. The poise backstabs and backstab fishing in general is my least favorite thing about DkS1 PvP.

Dead angles were my shit though. From what I've heard, the guys who played the demo couldn't get dead angles to work, but they only got to play against PvE so who knows if they work in PvP.

Zabru

If theres no dead angles but DS1 Backstabs I will be mad lol. Yeah the perfect spot thing sounds good on paper but the perfect spot will become a huge area online if it's anything like DS1. I just wish they would pull off the cover on this BB dlc.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Now that we have an announcement month (April 2016), has there been any news on a limited or special edition of the game. Quite curious on what the Collectors Edition or whatever they call it will include.

Redux

Ex Phase
any of you guys know how the online would be if I bought it on a japanese psn? It comes out 1 month earlier in japan and the voice acting is in english so I think I'll buy that version.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Can't wait for DS3 I've played all the souls games except demon souls. That includes bloodborne.

Never took any of them too seriously though. This one looks not to disappoint, I'm hoping to really delve deep into this game.

The only thing I hope is that multiplayer co-op isn't too hard to work correctly. Something like bloodborne. Without the level restrictions, so me and my friends can always play together without worrying of someone pulling away in levels and progress. Bloodbornes co op was based from level and there was a week I couldn't play, I come back and my friends were waaay too high level for me to catch up without having to grind all week. I ended up just dropping the game because of that.

Tweedy

Noob
How is the multiplayer? Oddly enough after my 60+ playthroughs of Dark Souls 1, I never really tried PVP. I think one time I made a little build and had mixed success. It was always super laggy despite my solid connection, but I knew that was an issue with the game. Did they ever fix the lag on Dark Souls 2/Bloodborne?

I remember Aris talking about how it's not that much different than a game like Soul Caliber or Tekken. lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
How is the multiplayer? Oddly enough after my 60+ playthroughs of Dark Souls 1, I never really tried PVP. I think one time I made a little build and had mixed success. It was always super laggy despite my solid connection, but I knew that was an issue with the game. Did they ever fix the lag on Dark Souls 2/Bloodborne?

I remember Aris talking about how it's not that much different than a game like Soul Caliber or Tekken. lol
The PvP is very reminiscent of a 3D fighting game. If you fight other competitive players it can really fun and it takes skill just like any fighter. There can be lopsided duels where the guy is over leveled but even if there's a big level difference, you can still win.

Lag does play a big factor though. Especially in DkS1. There's "lag stabs" where on your screen they are in front of you but you suddenly get back stabbed. Along with other connection issues.

The PvP is good though overall. I liked DkS1 and DkS2 PvP, haven't played DeS or BB (no PS3/ps4).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just want to tell people not to get the "Estus flask edition". Apparently the "Estus Flask" is really small and not hollow or drink outable. I was thinking about getting this version primarily for the Estus Flask, what a missed opportunity here.

Really can't wait for this damn game! I've broken some of my own rules and spoiled myself a bit with watching gameplay. But I'm so hype I needed SOMETHING to hold me over. Can't fucking WAIT!

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
Just want to tell people not to get the "Estus flask edition". Apparently the "Estus Flask" is really small and not hollow or drink outable. I was thinking about getting this version primarily for the Estus Flask, what a missed opportunity here.

Really can't wait for this damn game! I've broken some of my own rules and spoiled myself a bit with watching gameplay. But I'm so hype I needed SOMETHING to hold me over. Can't fucking WAIT!
I remember DS1 got released in Asia way sooner and I spoiled myself the ENTIRE game on Twitch, you know you don't wanna ruin that first experience, takes away so much of what FS manages to achieve every friggin game.
If you're having trouble now, goodluck in 4 days. :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I remember DS1 got released in Asia way sooner and I spoiled myself the ENTIRE game on Twitch, you know you don't wanna ruin that first experience, takes away so much of what FS manages to achieve every friggin game.
If you're having trouble now, goodluck in 4 days. :)
Yeah I know. But it's only like 3 weeks until the American release, I can wait at least that long.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Damn, i need to get dem money for this, definitely a game worth having.

When i borrow to my friends, they return it, two days after crying "THE GAME IS WAY TOO HARD" laughing my ass off.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I would have survived a curved dragon greatsword riposte and outcry- they would probably only take about 900hp from me on the build I'm using. Meaning it would take three reps to kill me assuming I don't heal. Also you need to learn how to use strengh weapons properly. You can't really dead angle in this game but playing unlocked certainly make UGS way more effective. The only reason you wouldn't be able tp hit someone would be because your r1 mashing. With the pure reach on these weapons you need to learn to pursue peoples rolls with them. Lets say I'm using a cryp blacksword.

If I start my r2 right before someone's roll I will hit them post roll. The effectiveness of this depends on their equip load but will usually work. You need to angle yourself manually to hit them out of their roll. Again with Fume UGS you can use the L2 when two handed with heavy armor and you can block a hit when you swing. This deals huge damage to your opponent and minuscule to you.

You need to practice! Here watch oro:
Souls PvP consists of a lot of scrubs because it isn't taken competitively, your mistaking killing these players for the weapon being good.

Look at the speed of the rolls in the game; it is "impossible" to hit someone with a slow weapon when every attack can be dodged and punished on reaction and this is just if you choose to roll or backstep. Grab a shield and just turtle-poke every single attack.

Str weapons and magic is basically PvE exclusive.

Last edited:

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
Souls PvP consists of a lot of scrubs because it isn't taken competitively, your mistaking killing these players for the weapon being good.

Look at the speed of the rolls in the game; it is "impossible" to hit someone with a slow weapon when every attack can be dodged and punished on reaction and this is just if you choose to roll or backstep. Grab a shield and just turtle-poke every single attack.

Str weapons and magic is basically PvE exclusive.

Turtleing behind a shield in DS2 will get you murdered with is shield break. Strength weapons are plenty viable, i was able to kill plenty of jester/chaos blade shitters with my sacred chime hammer. Magic is also plenty viable with spells like Homing crystal soulmass, Crystal magic spear, sould great sword, soul geyser, etc. Cyrstal magic weapon is a great buff and hidden weapon is fantastic bait strategy. You also make most weapons instantly better with RoBSOFlynn

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Turtleing behind a shield in DS2 will get you murdered with is shield break. Strength weapons are plenty viable, i was able to kill plenty of jester/chaos blade shitters with my sacred chime hammer. Magic is also plenty viable with spells like Homing crystal soulmass, Crystal magic spear, sould great sword, soul geyser, etc. Cyrstal magic weapon is a great buff and hidden weapon is fantastic bait strategy. You also make most weapons instantly better with RoBSOFlynn
This is kind of why I stopped talking about the game, because it's too hard to talk about. There's a lot of stuff in the game PvPwise that you just can't use but because the majority of the people playing the game are casuals you can use them which causes a divide in discussion because the games being played completely differently

There were 1f or 2f links in this game

Last edited:

Error

DF2+R2
Can't take DS2 PvP seriously with the wonky hit detection and it doesn't feel as fluid as DS1. Hopefully DS3 is decent at least.

Personally I dont really like PvP as most of the invaders I face always hide behind enemies or run off to them when they are dying but I hope they keep the arenas from 2 so that if I ever decide to fight people the option is there.