What's new

Dark Souls 3 Discussion Thread

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
Remember all the area variety in DS1? Yeah thats gone in BB. Remember all the weapons in DS2? Yeah thats gone the weapon quantity is on an all time low. Remember the enemy variety in DS1 and 2? Prepare to see the same enemies spammed throughout the game with most (some were cool) bosses being dumb beasts over and over. Did you like pvp in DKS2? The pvp is the worst so far in a souls game. The new movesets will make up for the crap variet right? Think again! You will use exactly the same amount of buttons (if not less) in BB.

Well at least it has the difficulty right? I beat most of the bosses on my first try and finished the game in under 20 hours going in blind. Casual garbage with no build variety, NG+ specials and crappy pvp makes for no replay ability. You might be thinking; "but what about the randomly generated (lol) dungeons", "surely that will increase the replay factor and make what little builds you can do in the game fun". You can literally play about 8 dungeons and see everything. It'a also 100% user unfriendly for co op dungeons.

God I FUCKING HATE THAT SHIT!
I agree at everything you said, but I think you are exaggerating a tiny bit.
1. Bloodborne is short in length, yes.
2. PvP is shit/nonexistent, yes.
3. No enemy variety, yes, although this has to tie in with the first point that the game is short. Still, some pretty cool design concepts in there.
4. No build variety, yes.
5. Difficulty? Its pretty difficult IMO, although I completed my first playthrough in under 15 hours (missed optional areas) and died very few times. You can't expect a souls game to be as difficult as your 1st one at this point as a souls veteran. If you compare deaths on BB to any of the other Souls game then it won't be objective.

BB is still a pretty fucking great game IMO and a masterpiece as a PvE experience.

Let's hope they'll address the issues on the upcoming "expansion", because your complaints are not without reason. Still, I enjoyed my first 3 playthroughs immensely. Its still more "souls" than DkS2 and its not even in the same setting.

P.S. I fucking HATE chalice dungeons.....

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
@LionHeart I hear you. I loved my first playthrough to death (I Played through the whole game in one sitting and loved it), but even as I finished I couldn't believe how short it was and how little weapons I found. I felt this great sadness within me as I finished it. I have only done three playthroughs and put in 60hours in that game. I put in 100 hours des, 500 hours dks1 and 2000 hours dks2. To say I was hyped for that game was an understatement. I see little value in the pve now but I can recall those feeling I got when I first played it; I loved it.

Still way better than most games.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
@LionHeart I hear you. I loved my first playthrough to death (I Played through the whole game in one sitting and loved it), but even as I finished I couldn't believe how short it was and how little weapons I found. I felt this great sadness within me as I finished it. I have only done three playthroughs and put in 60hours in that game. I put in 100 hours des, 500 hours dks1 and 2000 hours dks2. To say I was hyped for that game was an understatement. I see little value in the pve now but I can recall those feeling I got when I first played it; I loved it.

Still way better than most games.
Another thing that bothered me was lack of NPC character development... And there were some pretty cool NPCs in BB... :(

Again, hoping for the expansion to address all these issues.... *crosses fingers*.

Zabru

speak, fool
Are you a soul vet? Do you keep up with the lore? DkS2 had great pvp which kept it fresh and crap tons of builds but they took the lore thing as an excuse to make their game shallow rather then stuff it with hidden beauty like in Des and a shit ton in DKS1.

Zabru

Another thing that bothered me was lack of NPC character development... And there were some pretty cool NPCs in BB... :(

Again, hoping for the expansion to address all these issues.... *crosses fingers*.
Oh yes! They can't fix some of the mechanics but if they put as many weapons as there was in the main game in the expansion (hopeful thinking here) and all the areas are mind blowing and imaginative (remember walking into dukes archives or the painted world in DKS and just going" "wow" :)) they will have redeemed themselves in my eyes.

Zabru

I want a scythe like the Burial Blade but it can shoot dark magic
Magic doesn't work like that in BB... the closest thing is the wrathful axe (dlc) in DS2 is a dark axe that could do a dark damage AOE or Velstat's hammer could shoot dark orbs.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Fast travel ruined Dark Souls 2, as did having stupid areas getting soul arrowed from outside the draw distance. I got sick of it like half way into NG+ and havent really gone back.

Hopefully number 3 keeps some elements like the combat and weapon diversity, but goes a bit more over the top on AI difficulty to try simulate a Demons/DS feel for people who know whats coming. Bloodborne was a whole different game and I have only played like 3-4 hours of it on a friends ps4. I cant really rate it but it felt bland and dull and the characters were shitty. If youve played a souls game you basically know what bloodborne is about and its only gonna take you getting used to the sidestepping before you can do mostly anything it throws at you. I really enjoyed the enemies though, dudes smacking your head in with a brick is something i can get behind.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Magic doesn't work like that in BB... the closest thing is the wrathful axe (dlc) in DS2 is a dark axe that could do a dark damage AOE or Velstat's hammer could shoot dark orbs.
The Blue Flame, Sanctum Shield and the Mace of the insolent could cast spells. I want a scythe like the Burial Blade from BB that has a special affect letting you cast spells like those weapons in Dark Souls 3

Zabru

The Blue Flame, Sanctum Shield and the Mace of the insolent could cast spells. I want a scythe like the Burial Blade from BB that has a special affect letting you cast spells like those weapons in Dark Souls 3
I know I was just referring to the one that could only cast dark "spells". Also no moonlight weapon so far in BB which makes me sad.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
Lore>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Storytelling
THIS!!

DkS didn't spoon feed you the story and that's one of the things that made it great. The other one being, that it actually HAD a story to tell and not just randomly offer fan service by tossing a few familiar NPCs/Bosses/Items randomly at the player and at random locations. DkS2 had no story to tell. Deal with it @Qwark28.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
THIS!!

DkS didn't spoon feed you the story and that's one of the things that made it great. The other one being, that it actually HAD a story to tell and not just randomly offer fan service by tossing a few familiar NPCs/Bosses/Items randomly at the player and at random locations. DkS2 had no story to tell. Deal with it @Qwark28.
DKS2 didn't spoonfeed you either, it was a continuation of DKS1. I bet DES2 will also have some homage to DES1 e.g scraping spear.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
DKS2 didn't spoonfeed you either, it was a continuation of DKS1. I bet DES2 will also have some homage to DES1 e.g scraping spear.
Just stop. There will be no DeS2. Stop toying with my feelings.

The continuation you're talking about is forced and not something that would be a thing if Miyazaki was around...

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Just stop. There will be no DeS2. Stop toying with my feelings.

The continuation you're talking about is forced and not something that would be a thing if Miyazaki was around...
Pretty sure Miyagizaki is directing des2.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Dark Souls 3 has been announced and scheduled to be released some time early next year (2016). I'm a huge Souls fan, and I'm super hyped for this game.

Who is hyped for the next installment of the Souls series!?
I really want to be but I've had a love/hate thing with the Souls series and unless DS3 innovates on something new instead of rehashing mechanics, I'll probably be passing on a full purchase and just rent it. Bloodborne was the last straw for me and while it's only a "spiritual sucessor", it doesn't have me optimistic about DS3 introducing anything fresh.

Error

DF2+R2
Been getting into Dark Souls PVP lately, the gamefaqs PS3 board is still pretty active and always hosting PVP fight nights.