What's new

Dark Souls 3 Discussion Thread

Altsa

Why the hell every time a Souls game is mentioned the discussion ALWAYS turns into ds1 vs ds2??? Be it on the forums, twitch chat or with a random guy at a hotdog stand, it happens EVERY time...

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
The flow of combat (in particular rolls) look much more reminiscent of Dark Souls 1, and the atmosphere looks like a fantastic mash up of Demon's, DkS1 and Bloodborne. Adding onto the fact that Miyazaki is leading world/level design, my excitement levels can't be contained! Woooop!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Youtube version:

I have mixed feelings, also didn't watch it all because I don't like spoilers, not even small ones.

Pros:
- Fighting mechanics seems to be a mixture of DkS1 and Bloodborne
- Back to an overlapping world
- Quick striking and movement
- Really like the melee animations

Cons:
- Kinda hate the color pallette, too bland and dark
- I can't stand everything looking so shiny
- Dude had 10 Estus's. Don't know how long he was in the game or where in the demo he was, but I feel one thing that makes Souls games easier than they should be is the healing options. Was hoping there would be a 5 Estus max in this game. More of a personal con though.
- A lot of not so unique things. Hellkite like dragon blowing fire on bridges, aka DkS1. A lot of other rehashed animations and such, which to be fair is to be expected.

I realize this is a demo and probably an older build. And the most important thing, at least to me, in Souls games is the gameplay. I will also reserve my actual final opinion on the game until it comes out. I'm just not going to expect a masterpiece like DkS1 based on what I've seen. Seems they've gotten a tad bit lazy.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
DKS2 didn't spoonfeed you either, it was a continuation of DKS1. I bet DES2 will also have some homage to DES1 e.g scraping spear.
Reading this makes me feel like I have work to do. DKS2 had nothing to feed you in the first place. It also isn't a continuation of DS1. There willl not be a DES2.

Zabru

DS3= DS1 and Des again. I mean another fucking dragon breathing fire on a bridge and killing enemies?

MK Led

Umbasa
DS3= DS1 and Des again. I mean another fucking dragon breathing fire on a bridge and killing enemies?
Hey man, Miyazaki-sama just has a thing for bridge dragons, it's like his signature to let you know that he worked on a souls game. :p

Hype for DS3... But I can't wait for FS to start working on their next souls-like game, I heard an interview where Miyazaki said he wasn't interested in doing any more souls games after this, but that he's got plenty of ideas to take souls-style gameplay into new settings (sci-fi dark souls, pls I want to believe). Also imo BB was better than DS2, I really liked the whole lovecraft-y vibe it had going, sure it has less replay value overall, but DS2 could barely hold my attention for a single playthrough, unlike the other 3 games.

Last edited:

Zabru

DS3 confirmed for overuse reused assets. I just can't believe it.

So medium shields can no longer parry, L2 now gives your weapon an extra 'stance' however this mechanic dose not apply to small shields.
Any info on how tower shields will work?
Any opinions on the change?

MK Led

Umbasa
Thats what I thought about BB and that thing was total crap.
Damn, sucks that you didn't like it, It's probably my second fav FromSoftware game tbh, but I guess you can't please everyone. At least for the DS fans, it seems like the only thing they're bringing into DS3 from BB is the charged R2 attacks.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
So medium shields can no longer parry, L2 now gives your weapon an extra 'stance' however this mechanic dose not apply to small shields.
Greatshields will work as they always have I imagine which means you hold them up to block and people can't touch you in PvP because they removed dead-angles and the majority of enemies in PvE bounce off it.

From what I've heard about sword arts, parries would have to insta-kill to be worth not having access to it or a better shield which is good because I'm tired of parries after the monastary scimitar 1 frame start-up parry fiasco and the parrying dagger instant recovery in ds2

Zabru

Greatshields will work as they always have I imagine which means you hold them up to block and people can't touch you in PvP because they removed dead-angles and the majority of enemies in PvE bounce off it.

From what I've heard about sword arts, parries would have to insta-kill to be worth not having access to it or a better shield which is good because I'm tired of parries after the monastary scimitar 1 frame start-up parry fiasco and the parrying dagger instant recovery in ds2
Lol it was nerfed and the parrying dagger had crap parry frames.

Zabru

Damn, sucks that you didn't like it, It's probably my second fav FromSoftware game tbh, but I guess you can't please everyone. At least for the DS fans, it seems like the only thing they're bringing into DS3 from BB is the charged R2 attacks.
Good. I said early that all the new movesets were a waste of time besides charged attacks. I hated BB cause serious lack of variety and quantity mixed in with terrible mechanics for both PvE and definitely PvP= lack of replay ability which is everything in an RPG (to me cause I'm the type of guy that will get a game and play it for 6 months straigh) like the souls games.

Edit: Amazing first playthrough though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So the advantage of small shields is parry, advantage of medium shield is new L2 stance, and I assume big shields are the same as always?

Seems interesting, can't really have an opinion until I see how it all works.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Lol it was nerfed and the parrying dagger had crap parry frames.
It doesn't matter that it was nerfed, it existed. The parrying dagger had faster start-up and recovery than small shields which already recovered instantly anyway. I thought parrying in general was just stupid; Why would something that 1-shots only be punishable if you not only read it but were in the process of punishing before it came out because seeing it and attacking wouldn't be enough and running around to backstab during it wasn't enough most of the time. I'm playing an RPG not Street Fighter

Tweedy

Noob
Some good points about Bloodborne by @Zabru. I guess all of the negative things in that game were things that I personally didn't care about, so I thought the game was awesome. One thing I disagree on is the difficulty. I actually had more trouble with Bloodborne than I ever did with any of the previous souls games. The game definitely wasn't easy, unless I was just playing it wrong.

When I played Dark Souls 2 I felt like they tried to make the game a lot more casual. The bosses were easy, you had fast travel right off the rip, you had access to good item stores right in the beginning area without having to trigger anything, etc. Even though Bloodborne lacked area and weapon variety I definitely prefer it over Dark Souls 2.

Dark Souls 1 hit the sweet spot imo. After all it was the game that made the series so popular. Hopefully 3 is closer to it than Bloodborne or Dark Souls 2.

Last edited:

Zabru

It doesn't matter that it was nerfed, it existed. The parrying dagger had faster start-up and recovery than small shields which already recovered instantly anyway. I thought parrying in general was just stupid; Why would something that 1-shots only be punishable if you not only read it but were in the process of punishing before it came out because seeing it and attacking wouldn't be enough and running around to backstab during it wasn't enough most of the time. I'm playing an RPG not Street Fighter
Ripostes were nerfed also. Unless your using a fumeultra greatsword you aren't gonna one shot someone with a crit unless you get super lucky with engraved gauntlets. You can just two hand an ultragreatsword or greathammer and you can't be parried. You can also jump attack or use magic and like I said monastery scimitar was nerfed and it's way harder to parry in this DS2 over DS1.

Zabru

Also I have so many hours in the souls series I would be a little surprised if I found it hard. I wasn't however, expecting to get half way through the game before I died to a boss.

Rearawt

Noob
Not a big fan of what the movement looks like. In that 16 minute video it looks floaty, like there's no weight to the character