What's new

Video/Tutorial - Summoner Beta Quan! Buffs and Normalizations!

Goat-City

Banned
Has anyone noticed a glitch with Sorcerer in the beta where after using a spell the camera starts raising above its normal level and moves up and down? It's happened to me a ton but I'm not sure if the spells are causing it or not.

Pumpkinholes

steady mobbin
Yeah thats happened to me before the screen resolution changes and it can magnify or do the opposite. Idk i was high af at the time fuckin people up and that shit happened i didnt mind it honestly because it made me play better when resolution got farther away. Quan chi sucks now though i dont wanna use him in beta its saddening

Pumpkinholes

steady mobbin
I can't speak for Summoner, but imo Sorcerer is better now than before. Except for losing corner switch cross over combos, I think the meter drain spell is a huge difference maker.
. Md isnt really a game changer cause quans buttons suck and ex rune is over. I mean u have to have a full complete quan chi and absoltely be able to do every basic mixup in order to compete with other characters who seem so much stronger than him now. I only touch warlock and sorcer though. May summoner rip

Pumpkinholes

steady mobbin
U can still zone but its high risk not too much high reward. Hes an illogical character now and i cant wait to see quan loyaltists get mopped

Pumpkinholes

steady mobbin
Yeah hes mine too but nrs becomes dictatorship and makes quan bitch status after i become pro status with him thats unfair and it wasted my time learning everything cause now i cant beat top tier characters like i used too. Just doesnt make me feel comfortable about learning new the new characters if there gonna nerf them anyway.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
. Md isnt really a game changer cause quans buttons suck and ex rune is over. I mean u have to have a full complete quan chi and absoltely be able to do every basic mixup in order to compete with other characters who seem so much stronger than him now. I only touch warlock and sorcer though. May summoner rip
Quan's buttons suck?

A -1 on block d3 that leads to a 50/50 on hit?

A nearly half-screen overhead that can catch jump backs, is special cancellable, and starts in 15 frames? (B2)

A 14 frame, mid-hitting move that covers almost an entire character space away from him, is only -9, and can anti-air?(B1)

A -1 on block string that can be special cancelled and has a hitbox that extends past his hand and can be mixed with it's four hit version for a combo?(F212/F2122)

No.

What makes meter drain spell so great comes down to several things:

It removes advancing armor as an option from characters who would otherwise ignore his zoning. With purple spell up, if they're full screen you can drain meter and take away options like MB Shadow Kick and MB Slide. Without these kinds of moves, they have to get in normally, which isn't easy.

Another thing it does is allow Quan to pressure a little better. Example: Say you're fighting Kung Lao. A lot of good Laos will use the threat of the armor on spin to condition you not to hit buttons even when it's your turn. Without the armor, the player can't ignore whatever it is you're doing and launch you for a full combo with armor.

You're also building meter while taking it away from the opponent.

MB Rune isn't "dead." Paulo revealed today on stream that you can still delay MB Rune for the +14, provided that you're willing to take a risk. If you do and you're successful, you get a 50/50 attempt.

Even if you mash it out at -11, you're still safe and can check with d1. If they have a 7 frame poke, you might trade. You you could just block and counterpoke.

It's all right.

Rude

Honestly it doesnt matter hos buttons are slow yes hes low damage now and no defense with no wakeup.
The start up of his normals haven't changed. So that's not a talking point for why he is bad NOW.

A 6 frame d1 that is +3 on hit.
A 9 frame d3 that is +15 on hit.
A 5f NJP that launches.
B1 which hits mid, can stop jumping and is reasonably safe from distance.
He has a 9 frame uppercut and 8 frame jab for anti air.

He has quick projectiles with Skulls that still guarantee a rune check on block from full screen. MB Runes still launch so if they run you can still put them full screen on hit.

If you want a wake up, you have an advancing, 11-frame armored low in Warlock.

His defense isn't bad strictly speaking, it's his post knockdown game that's the problem and even then, you have options.

Pumpkinholes

steady mobbin
Lol dude im not saying quan is aweful, but hes close too it. Dont be in denial with this cmon now bring all that information it doesnt change the fact that all other characters barring a few are so much more diverse than quan now.

Rude

Lol dude im not saying quan is aweful, but hes close too it. Dont be in denial with this cmon now bring all that information it doesnt change the fact that all other characters barring a few are so much more diverse than quan now.
When that's the best argument you can present after all this, it's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about.

Quan Chi will play differently than before, but he's not a bad character at all.

Aramonde

Noob
Who is more "diverse"? Listen we want dedicated Quan mains here. If you aren't willing to give your soul to lord Quan then go main whoever becomes top tier after this patch.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
He's still easily top 10. The fact you can't just mindlessly do 50/50s and have to use the character a bit more fundamentally does not make him awful

Goat-City

Banned
Quan's buttons suck?

A -1 on block d3 that leads to a 50/50 on hit?

A nearly half-screen overhead that can catch jump backs, is special cancellable, and starts in 15 frames? (B2)

A 14 frame, mid-hitting move that covers almost an entire character space away from him, is only -9, and can anti-air?(B1)

A -1 on block string that can be special cancelled and has a hitbox that extends past his hand and can be mixed with it's four hit version for a combo?(F212/F2122)

No.

What makes meter drain spell so great comes down to several things:

It removes advancing armor as an option from characters who would otherwise ignore his zoning. With purple spell up, if they're full screen you can drain meter and take away options like MB Shadow Kick and MB Slide. Without these kinds of moves, they have to get in normally, which isn't easy.

Another thing it does is allow Quan to pressure a little better. Example: Say you're fighting Kung Lao. A lot of good Laos will use the threat of the armor on spin to condition you not to hit buttons even when it's your turn. Without the armor, the player can't ignore whatever it is you're doing and launch you for a full combo with armor.

You're also building meter while taking it away from the opponent.

MB Rune isn't "dead." Paulo revealed today on stream that you can still delay MB Rune for the +14, provided that you're willing to take a risk. If you do and you're successful, you get a 50/50 attempt.

Even if you mash it out at -11, you're still safe and can check with d1. If they have a 7 frame poke, you might trade. You you could just block and counterpoke.

It's all right.
I don't think the meter drain spell buff really did much for him for 2 reasons. With the trance hit advantage nerf you have to spend 2 bars of your own meter to use the meter drain runes in combos instead of just 1. This wouldn't be so bad and might actually be balanced if it weren't for the fact that once we use the meter drain spell we still have to wait for the timer to run out to use another spell, mainly armor. The fact that you have to stand in the meter drain spell for its effect to be active means you won't get much use out of it in the neutral since no good zoner just stands in one spot obviously, so losing the armor spell setup after spending 2 bars of meter doesn't seem balanced to me.

It still helps, but the armor spell was already so good that I don't think the meter drain spell has been buffed enough to make it a definitively better spell to use in certain situations like in combos. That's why I think you should be able to switch spells before the timer runs out. That way you could combo into EX trance, use the meter drain spell and finish the combo while draining meter, then cancel the meter drain spell into the armor spell during the knockdown. It's too early to see if I'm right but from my experience with Sorcerer in the beta I don't think he's as good as he needs to be.

Pumpkinholes

steady mobbin
When that's the best argument you can present after all this, it's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about.

Quan Chi will play differently than before, but he's not a bad character at all.
i can guarentee i know more and will beat u in a quan set, i dont seep into those details like u thats all. Ur failed insuation makes me believe ur emotions are hurt by this nerfball, and dink no way quan ever summoner is top 10 after bew kb back lol. But dink prove me wrong i hope u do

Rude

i can guarentee i know more and will beat u in a quan set, i dont seep into those details like u thats all. Ur failed insuation makes me believe ur emotions are hurt by this nerfball, and dink no way quan ever summoner is top 10 after bew kb back lol. But dink prove me wrong i hope u do

Sigh.

Look, I was more than happy to actually talk about your stance with details.

However, your rebuttals have amounted to, "Nuh-uh" so what am I supposed to do with that?

You haven't even explained yourself beyond the most generic of talking points, so why shouldn't I dismiss you if you've shown no willingness to actually explain yourself?

Since you're not offering anything of actual constructive value, I've got nothing left to say.

Rude

I don't think the meter drain spell buff really did much for him for 2 reasons. With the trance hit advantage nerf you have to spend 2 bars of your own meter to use the meter drain runes in combos instead of just 1. This wouldn't be so bad and might actually be balanced if it weren't for the fact that once we use the meter drain spell we still have to wait for the timer to run out to use another spell, mainly armor. The fact that you have to stand in the meter drain spell for its effect to be active means you won't get much use out of it in the neutral since no good zoner just stands in one spot obviously, so losing the armor spell setup after spending 2 bars of meter doesn't seem balanced to me.

It still helps, but the armor spell was already so good that I don't think the meter drain spell has been buffed enough to make it a definitively better spell to use in certain situations like in combos. That's why I think you should be able to switch spells before the timer runs out. That way you could combo into EX trance, use the meter drain spell and finish the combo while draining meter, then cancel the meter drain spell into the armor spell during the knockdown. It's too early to see if I'm right but from my experience with Sorcerer in the beta I don't think he's as good as he needs to be.
The most you need for your projectiles to be effective is exactly one foot in the meter drain spell. Not only that, but if they're running at you to try and hit you out of the circle, you have plenty of options.

You could try a cross up, NJP, or jump back if you're feeling especially ballsy. Depending on the character you could walk back from the circle and whiff punish, use mid runes to send them back full screen, etc.

Meter Drain spell definitely complements his projectile game. As far as using it in combos to yes, it is a lot of meter to spend to cast the spell and continue with MB Rune. Thankfully, you don't have to do that. You could cast the spell during Trance and attempt a 50/50. Canceling into MB Rune in this situation will guarantee that you'll take a least some of their bar in the process and if you fully delay MB Rune, you get the +14 so you can try the 50/50 again.

It's different from how Sorcerer played before, but it's not THAT different.

Pumpkinholes

steady mobbin
Sigh.

Look, I was more than happy to actually talk about your stance with details.

However, your rebuttals have amounted to, "Nuh-uh" so what am I supposed to do with that?

You haven't even explained yourself beyond the most generic of talking points, so why shouldn't I dismiss you if you've shown no willingness to actually explain yourself?

Since you're not offering anything of actual constructive value, I've got nothing left to say.
Lol kid dont be a quan chi troll. I dont talk nerd over the web sorry, and my quan will destroy yours. If u wanna 1v1 and ill teach u some quan that u had no clue he could do that then hmu. Xbl- barkingspider08. But u think cause u talk like a mkx devolper on here doesnt mean ur remotely good at the game nerd. My quan will own urs, and there should be a quan chi tournament honestly to see who has best warlock, best summonwr and best sorcerer on this site

Rude

Lol kid dont be a quan chi troll. I dont talk nerd over the web sorry, and my quan will destroy yours. If u wanna 1v1 and ill teach u some quan that u had no clue he could do that then hmu. Xbl- barkingspider08. But u think cause u talk like a mkx devolper on here doesnt mean ur remotely good at the game nerd. My quan will own urs, and there should be a quan chi tournament honestly to see who has best warlock, best summonwr and best sorcerer on this site
Cool story, but I don't own an XBox, sorry.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
@Goat-City

Man, talk about downplay. as an FYI, you can still do drain spell during a normal trance and continue the combo, you do not need to burn a bar on trance to do it. I verified that on the beta.

He is not garbage, he just has a different play style and one that is honestly more enjoyable. the trance nerf is really the only thing that sucks, and thats just due to the side switching.

Your overall change requests were silly, ESPECIALLY the portal switching, and would have resulted in broken mechanics. Currently, the amount of meter he can drain for 1 bar nets more than a 1-1 against the opponent, and thats midscreen. the amount you can take in the corner is borderline absurd

You just called him a kid , And your gamer tag is "barkingspider08" not to mention you're arguing like a complete baby "OH i know quan more than you do and ill destroy you" so yeah , You're the kid here lol.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I'll add you. It would be an honor to play the best Quan chi player. I'll record our set and post it here after. When's a good time for you to play?