What's new

Best/Worst Variations of your Main

D'Vorah:
Swarm queen is easily the best for the insane pressure and could be the best character in the game.
Brood mother is easily the worst, loses all the pressure for a high hitting projectile and a low hitting projectile that can only be used every 4.5 seconds.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I'm a Kitana main so...

Best: Assassin or Royal Storm
I like how you can vein and be a rush down character with Assassin, especially her Princess Parry, and the abily to get a straight 2% buff on her moves with Sharpen. However, Royal Storm is also very useful in the event that you wan't to play a keep away game against characters, with moves like Bounce Back and Square Wave Boost. Both of these Variations are very viable, and neither is truly better than the other, which is hard to find in characters.

Worst: Mournful
I don't like the Mournful Variation at all. I can respect the shoutout to Jade, but all it did in my opinion was deconfirm Jade's chances of being DLC and give NetherRealm a thrid Variation just to throw on. Not to mention it is very meter hungry, you need about two bars to make it into the 40% range, and that really sucks.

-King Khrystopher di Konstellata

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
Main: Raiden
Best Variation: Thunder God - The reason for this is almost self explanatory. High damage output, Great meter building, 50/50's safe with OS, and all of that 3 nerfs later.
Worst Variation: Displacer - worst variation especially now because of the nerf. Including throw and specials you can neutral duck 90% of his move set (not an exaggeration). The tool that this variation is supposedly built upon is subpar, basically needs meter to be useful. That being said without an effective way to build meter this variation leaves much to be desired.
Note: I really like MoS, it really makes me think and its very satisfying to earn a victory with said variation.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
This simply does not exist for Jax. I know you guys think I'm trolling when I constantly for no reason throw this out there, but NRS hit a home run with him.
Its hard to argue with this. He's got great zoning and run cancels with Heavy Weapons, better pressure and zoning with Pumped Up, and high damage and command grabs with Wrestler.

He's really got my interest as of late, and I might consider picking him up as a pocket pick.

This simply does not exist for Jax. I know you guys think I'm trolling when I constantly for no reason throw this out there, but NRS hit a home run with him.
like the other chars with 3 good variations, its all about the universal moves being strong. No matter what jax you pick you still have his best moves

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
like the other chars with 3 good variations, its all about the universal moves being strong. No matter what jax you pick you still have his best moves
This is why I went with Erron Black, he's pretty much the same way in regards to his universal moves, and the fact that with Erron and Jax, their variations help out different parts of their game depending on which one you choose.

This is why I went with Erron Black, he's pretty much the same way in regards to his universal moves, and the fact that with Erron and Jax, their variations help out different parts of their game depending on which one you choose.
Marksman is so strong but what hope does the hat one have? I never get hit with the coin trick it should prob be made overhead

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Marksman is so strong but what hope does the hat one have? I never get hit with the coin trick it should prob be made overhead
Making coin toss an overhead has been brought up a couple of times in the Erron Black section, and I agree with it. As for its uses, Gunslinger surprisingly is actually considered as Erron's best variation when facing Grandmasters since his Stand-Off Stance has the quickest way of dealing with Ice Clone.

Houndovhell

Subby-Z is my Main Man, the Man that I Main
Making coin toss an overhead has been brought up a couple of times in the Erron Black section, and I agree with it. As for its uses, Gunslinger surprisingly is actually considered as Erron's best variation when facing Grandmasters since his Stand-Off Stance has the quickest way of dealing with Ice Clone.
This is very interesting. i don't main erron, but hes in my top 5 cause my friend plays him, so I have to know what to teach him (even though my friend cant even do teh command grab or the b32u1 string, but anywho) :p Ive always enjoyed erron, and wished his Gunslinger variant was better. I need to hit up the Erron threads tomorrow and update myself, but i would think the coin shots hitting ovh (or possible having better startup/recovery?) would help greatly. You barely see marksman in tourneys though, its gonna take a lot to get gunslinger in there

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Kano:

Cybernetic:
Bad damage output, but the best zoning in the game. Practically the Guile variation

Cutthroat:
Not necessarily the fifty-fifty, but the space control, the power up, and the still great projectile. One of the most versatile variations in the game and the one I main. Always made perfect sense to me

Commando:
Great tools, but can't hesitate and has to make perfect reads. Easy to bait, parry and grab inputs can be hard to do under pressure. Strong and viable, but doesn't have the fire-and-forget utility of every other variation in the game.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Kano:
Cybernetic:
Bad damage output, but the best zoning in the game. Practically the Guile variation
cybernetic has good zoning, but summoner quan chi and all kenshis have way better ones. also I think that cutthroat is his best variation, but that's just my opinion.

Plop

Noob
I thought this thread was gonna be really lame but it turned out to be really interesting.

My input?
Best: Cyber/Cutthroat. I wanna say cyber cos that's what I use, but in the grand scheme of things, overhead and damage boost (especially in the corner) probably tip cutthroat over slightly more than cyber.

Worst: commando. Command throws lead to no decent oki and don't do enough damage. It'd be nice if you could combo off the ex parries like other characters can. It's nice to see an actual grappler in mk, but I dunno. It might be cos this variation doesn't fit my play style and I can't use it for sht, but I don't think it measures up to the other 2.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
I'd like to hear the reasons why because I don't see them. She's better at Oki than Hollywood but zoning/anti-zoning is a complete shitshow especially without meter. Her restand gives less frame advantage than regular nutpunch. Tick throws are full punish if your attack hits. Overhead grab is good after one hit of her mixup game (F3, D+F1, B2) because it's an extra mixup but it's really negative on block on top of not having armor. The damage between the two is comparable.

Positives over Hollywood:

-Extra mixup options
-Not dependent on meter
-Better Oki

Positives over Brawler:

-Better restand advantage
-Better zoning/anti-zoning
-Ability to make F3 safe (F34)
-Free mixup (for a bar)

The way I see it, Brawler does things Hollywood can do but better (slightly or vastly is up to the player) but Hollywood does things Brawler doesn't.
you can't do cassie's nut punch brutality on juggled opponents. you have to drop your game winning combo, run up and do raw ass nutpunch.
worse, you have to spend a bar for the cool version.

there you go, what a garbage variation

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Kitana

Royal storm
easily the best she has. Good air control and good damage for less execution and space depending combos.

Mournful
Not too far behind RS but you do lose up to 11% on damage . But her ground control is better in trade of losing air control. Her run away game is just equally as good.

Assassin
Parry is ass, assassin strike(while beautiful) has no utility except for a HDK. You're bnbs do increases by 1-2% even w/o sharpen but it's not worth it.