What's new

Best/Worst Variations of your Main

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
As the title states, I'm curious to see which version of your main character do you feel is the strongest/weakest, and for which reasons do you feel this way. Since every variation has somebody maining it, this is completely up for interpretation.

I'll start off with my own:

Erron Black:

Best variation: Outlaw

Outlaw has more ranged attacks, including his NJP, a better FB4, additional combos, and arguably his best combo ender now in Tarkatan Stab. Its only real weakness is a lack of good zoning options. While Marksman has additional pressure due to the gun cancels, more zoning options With Low Shot and Unload, and a launcher/combo extender with Swing Shot, this is also his most technical variation, so its gonna take a lot more practice to get him down.

Worst variation: Gunslinger

The only thing that Gunslinger really has going for it is better zoning from Stand-off Stance, not to mention the hat. However, this version is pretty much outshined by Outlaw and Marksman, plus Money Shot is arguably his worst special.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Best: Balanced
Worst: Kenjitsu and possessed
i only play balanced :/ also i personally think that gunslinger has a lot of untapped potential and is my personal favorite variant of erron

EDIT: Misunderstood OP, thought it meant what you are best with, I think all kenshis variations are equally viable

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
Ferra Torr

Worst Variation: Ruthless by far. It's only difference from Vicious is a faster command grab that does horrible damage and a damage buff. The damage buff can only be safely used at the end of certain combos and even then you have to sacrifice too much damage to get it out. It has 71 frames of recovery so using it in the nuetral or after knockdowns ends your offense and allows your opponent to do whatever they want. And in a offensive dominated game being stuck for that long is a death wish.

Best Variation : Lackey and Vicious. Lackey plays completely different compared to Vicious so they both have different matchups that they handle better then the other.

Last edited:

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Uhhhh I play Shinnok and Shinnok accessories.

Best: Bone Shaper

Despite having a really shitty fireball, his added strings, the only ones in his repertoire that are safe come in this variation and he can do mixup with his scoop that hits low. With the new buff given to B3, he actually can combo into his reset string which is F2,2 1+3 really easily. I can honestly say that despite Impostor being better for certain matchups, this is his best overall variation. Watch @xSMoKEx and his matches at Toryuken to see what I mean by this being his best variation.

Worst: Necromancer

I main this variation ironically enough. However compared to Impostor and Bone Shaper it is a very, very lacking variation that does not know what it wants to be. Does it want to be zoning? Space control? I would assume the latter but the frame data on his special moves in this variation are really... Underwhelming. While it is nice Summoned Fiend causes a hard kd, Shinnok really cannot take advantage of it because his oki is arguably one of the weakest in the game. Flick is all gimmicks and can be armored through almost at any point. Unblockable hand being movable now due to a prior patch is actually not too bad, but you still won't use it for characters like Ermac and Scorpion.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Uhhhh I play Shinnok and Shinnok accessories.

Best: Bone Shaper

Despite having a really shitty fireball, his added strings, the only ones in his repertoire that are safe come in this variation and he can do mixup with his scoop that hits low. With the new buff given to B3, he actually can combo into his reset string which is F2,2 1+3 really easily. I can honestly say that despite Impostor being better for certain matchups, this is his best overall variation. Watch @xSMoKEx and his matches at Toryuken to see what I mean by this being his best variation.

Worst: Necromancer

I main this variation ironically enough. However compared to Impostor and Bone Shaper it is a very, very lacking variation that does not know what it wants to be. Does it want to be zoning? Space control? I would assume the latter but the frame data on his special moves in this variation are really... Underwhelming. While it is nice Summoned Fiend causes a hard kd, Shinnok really cannot take advantage of it because his oki is arguably one of the weakest in the game. Flick is all gimmicks and can be armored through almost at any point. Unblockable hand being movable now due to a prior patch is actually not too bad, but you still won't use it for characters like Ermac and Scorpion.
reason why necromancer is the best: The silly bone hands will make your oppoonent laugh so hard the entire match that you will win for free

RM_NINFan101 gets the award for best Shinnok information. I use Shinnok myself and dude pretty much explained it MUCH better than I ever could. I guess i'll use Kitana then, :).

Best: Mournful
Explanation? Well, pretty much the single fact that in MK9, I mained Jade (low tier character) so that's the only thing I got to say on that. Float Cancels are so much better in this variation and her damage is a little bit better in the corner (NJP is amazing after certain characters). With the new buff she got, it's a ltitle bit easier for me to do a lot more damage and gives me more advantages on my moves. Float Cancels and Staff Grabs all day!

Worst: Assassin and Royal Storm
I really never played them. I only used Assassin for practice in training mode and really can't find ways to utilize so I'm sticking with Jade variation!

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Tiers IMO

Mileena
Best - Piercing (A tier on a scale of F-S)
Worst - Etherial (D)

Sonya
Best - Covert Ops (S)
Worst - Demolition (A-)

Houndovhell

Subby-Z is my Main Man, the Man that I Main
im in bed right now and trying to fix my schedule, so im going to post, then edit tomorrow. this is a great idea:)

Sub-Zero:
-Grandmaster
Grandmaster is undoubtedly the best variation of Sub-Zero right now. You just get so many more tools. If Unbreakable got a slight buff, then I would say it were tied, but right now - nah. You get the clone, which grants you CONTROL. you can toss the clone, which gives you advantage. This is the safest variation possible, and is the one you should be using, unless you know your clone will be useless (looking at you dvorah)

-Cryomancer
This variation isn't necessarily better than Unbreakable, but at the moment is my second go to if I find my clone isn't working too well. I might switch to Unbreakable, but need more Lab time and practice. Anyways, the pros of this variation are: The restand F42~Throw that does 24% damage raw (Although it does leave you both at neutral, so I only use it when I want the extra damage, or don't want to face a wakeup) and you get an armored launcher in the form of the OVH Hammer, that leads to 20/27% midscreen, or up to 33% in the corner. This is what most people think of as the "rush down" variant, but some would argue that Unbreakable is just that, and then some.

-Unbreakable
Ahhh, Unbreakable. This variation, although struggling right now, is my personal favourite. The biggest cons of this variation are that you lose the ground pound, and the shield doesnt freeze jump-ins and is easily punishable. But the best part? You can make your strings safe with the shield, and get a full combo punish off a teeny tiny mistake. And with EX Aura constantly on, you practically have 150% health. Now THATs something to fear ;) this is what makes this variation a rushdown variant, you take less damage, no chip, punish people trying to punish you, and can stay in their face all you want :) This variation needs very tiny buffs, then we will be seeing it a lot in tournament play ;)

Scorpion:
-Inferno
Now, just because this one is above Hellfire doesn't mean its better. I think of these two variants as equal, just better in different ranges. Inferno does have more tools at his disposal for Long Range, which makes him perfect for Zoning. You get an ovh demon, and a low demon, and one that is perfect for ending blockstrings :p This variation also gets a "vortex" that lets you get either an OVH that nets 11% or a full combo off of a Low (also a full combo off a slower starting overhead, but opponents are more likely to block it on reaction, still an option) and a throw:) This variation, again, is stronger when your opponents are doing a good job of keeping you out. You can throw out random minions and then teleport punish their projectile for full combos :)

-Hellfire
Now, this variation is the one I prefer, given its all about pressure. Flame Aura does unblockable chip damage, FBCancels allows you to get 15% just off CHIP alone. With Flam Aura activated, your opponent is having a hard time deciding which is worse. Blocking, or trying to get out. This variant isnt completely bad at zoning, you do get a fireball, and then you can always EX Spear for full combo. Although you need flawless execution to take advantage of this variation, it is more than worth it.

-Ninjutsu
This variant, unlike the others, is built for the mid-range ownership. When this variant is outside of sweep distance, thats not a good thing. Ninjutsu gets full combos off of normals that can slice your throat at the distance you thought you were safe with the others. You need to be more cautios of this one. Which allows the player to play mind games with the opponent. You don't see too many Ninjutsu's in competitive play, sadly. I'm hoping to see more of this, as it is indeed as strong a variant as Unbreakable is to Sub-Zero. Just needs more work and dedication. :)

Johnny Cage:
-A-List
On to Mr. Cage. I personally feel that A-List is his best variation (even though I've only really worked with Fisticuffs, been too busy being lazy xD). He gets the ability to charge his normals and his specials. Which is a mind game of its own. Again, I haven't messed with this variant too much, but its still one of the strongest IMO.

-Fisticuffs
We've all seen what Fisticuffs can do. And its terrifying. Imagine being locked down in the corner with a Fisticuffs Johnny doing b12121212. You try to ex Wakeup, only to get knocked out of your startup armor by the fastest string in the world (not true, but certainly feels that way). This Johnny is built for chip damage. You're gonna block my string? okay, it'll do damage anyways, youre gonna try to get out? Okay, i'll just take 30% of your life and set you right back up for more pressure. Just picking this variation alone is mind-shattering for the opponent (see Mikeys reaction at MWC). And thats why I love it ;)

-Stunt Double
Just because this is the last, doesn't mean its not strong. Cause holy balls batman it is. This variant allows you more damage, especially in the corner. You can activate the mimic aura on a HKD and zone with the kick, and AA jumping beans with the Flip Kick. This allows you to be more safe, in a way. Where with A-List, you can sit across the screen and throw balls waiting for a potential opening, this variation can chuck bodies at you for free :p

These are my T3, the characters i work on the most, with variations in order of how strong i think they are. I will update with info and backul data tomorrow evening :)

I also think Gunslinger has untapped potential, i just dont know how to tap it :p *looks at keg confusedly*

Last edited:

Houndovhell

Subby-Z is my Main Man, the Man that I Main
You have that backwards lol, stunt double is the best and A List is the worst, at least in my eyes.
I will be able to explain in the morning xD i think the charge buttons are amazing :p but stund double is still amazeballs. This isnt best to worse. Just in order of best utencils and strengths :)

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Those bone hands do look like shit. I never liked them except when...

He has the whole world... In his hand...

Then I like it, other than that? They look bad design wise.

Raiden

Best- Thundergod
I main displacer, but I can't deny thundergod is overall the hardest to fight against because of the low starter and the other strings. The recent nerf hurt the other two variations more than tg because he has other safe mid starting strings, so the other two lost a poke and a mid low string while TG brushed the nerf off easily

Worst- MOS
Still a really good variation, the traps are fun to use but id rather have a teleport/TG strings

Last edited:

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
Reptile

Best - Nimble(B in a scale F-S)
Crazy combo potential. Powered by methamphetamine and urine

Worst - Deceptive(C in a scale F-S)
It's the same character, but without the reek of dead alligators(Noxious) and without urine in his eyes and meth in his veins(Nimble). The invisibility isn't that useful, and it does not solve any of his problems. The lack of a mask exposes his meth mouth. No baby blue = no happiness

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
D'Vorah

Honestly, her variations all seem pretty good. Swarm Queen is generally considered the best but Venomous puts in work. Brood Mother seems to be used the least though, but it's solid.

D'Vorah

Honestly, her variations all seem pretty good. Swarm Queen is generally considered the best but Venomous puts in work. Brood Mother seems to be used the least though, but it's solid.
We need a list of chars that are legit with all 3 variations, although some of them have one so much better that its hard not to choose them, it still should be taken into account when we finally make a tier list, because if you main a char package with only 1 high level variation you have less options than someone with 3 counterpicks

I think-

Dvorah
Scrub 0
Scorpion
Raiden
Quan?
(seems like tanya is legit in all 3 but I didnt buy her someone let me know)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
We need a list of chars that are legit with all 3 variations, although some of them have one so much better that its hard not to choose them, it still should be taken into account when we finally make a tier list, because if you main a char package with only 1 high level variation you have less options than someone with 3 counterpicks

I think-

Dvorah
Scrub 0
Scorpion
Raiden
Quan?
(seems like tanya is legit in all 3 but I didnt buy her someone let me know)
Kano
JC
Cassie
Kotal
Kitana
Kung Jin
Kenshi

Error

DF2+R2
Ermac
Best: Master of Souls, high damage 50/50 vortex character with a scary projectile trade

Worst: Spectral, he floats a little bit higher than Ermac ususally does, and that's about all offered here.

Dishonorable mention: Mystic, nerfed MK9 Ermac with a super unsafe push, low damage, and no projectile.

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
Those bone hands are 2Spooks
When the game first came out I wanted to make a Shinnok combo video set to that song, but never got around to it.

As for my main....

Best: War God. Nothing much really needs to be said here. Good mixups, good damage, excellent footsies, and very good whiff punishing. Strong character.

Worst: I honestly don't know whether Sun or Blood God is worse now. The increased effectiveness of the totems and his 114 string really helped Blood God catch up and the extra damage, meter gain, and health gain on Sun God's stuff helped out too. They're both at least decent characters now.

Last edited:

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Best: Swarm Queen. Has it all, could be the best in the game.

Worst: Brood Mother, imo on the lower third of a tier list. I know some people like it, Vak and others in his thread have found a lot of stuff, but I think it's complete ass. Best brutality though.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I would say it depends more on who i'm playing against, it might not be a MU specific stuff, but i've found that Ninjutsu Scorpion works better on some guys, while Hellfire and Inferno works better on other guys.

If i had to rate them in terms of success of how i've been doing using them?

Hellfire would be the first one due the quick change of Pace besides all his specials in this variation works well along the way, once i spot someone's weakness that can be dealt with hellfire that is definitely the variation i would go with

Ninjutsu and Inferno are slightly tied in terms of performance, but i have better results using ninjutsu so far than i've been using inferno. Not that i lose using inferno, is just that i feel like i'm not that very comfortable using that variation at all.