What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Second fastest; Kabal's is faster.

D4 and sweep actually have different uses; D4 is much better when you're laying down/starting pressure and sweep is better used to fish for knockdowns from sweep distance and AA.[/QUOTE

Im really glad smoke is like one of the 3 5/5 matches kabal has

Everyone go look at the first video in this thread. 4:22 in, when CSZ is parrying strings BETWEEN HITS OF THE BLOCKSTRING. Can Smoke do this with his EX Shake since it has 0 frames of startup? Also, can CSZ do this to smoke during any of his strings? (probably 32?)

The ability to trap somebody into 9% damage and free oki if they go for a blockstring is pretty ridiculous, if it's possible.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
How do I deal with what happened to me in the end of round 3 of the match at 55:00?
http://www.twitch.tv/bbushes/b/297115946

You can tell I was just completely lost as to how I should respond, and I could've won the match had I not gotten hit by the same goddamn thing 4x in a row :\
Am I to assume you are referring to the point where Cyrax used his command grab while jumping in on you?

I think you can tech out of it like you would a normal throw...but with how fucked up online is, good luck trying it there. If you just block a jump-in, chances are the command grab will ensnare you and it'll be tough to escape Cyrax's pressure.

If the jump-in punch hits you and he tries to follow it with the command grab, it will whiff. That's where it becomes a true 50/50: to block or not to block? I don't like the risk in that scenario.

Your best chance is to just Breaker out of it if you can.

Yeah [MENTION=416]Crazy Blake 88[/MENTION], That's exactly what I was talking about. The rest of my piecemeal smoke play aside, that in particular was really bugging me. And the more and more I think about it the more and more it seems like my only reliable option would be to breaker out of it... which is scary because what's stopping him from just doing it all over again? At this point it feels like I MUST have a breaker ready or almost ready against cyrax at pretty much all times lol

I don't usually react fast enough to tech throws, and whenever I try to predict one i seem to predict wrong and get combo'd LOL so it's something to work on for sure. Thanks for the analysis :)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Yeah [MENTION=416]Crazy Blake 88[/MENTION], That's exactly what I was talking about. The rest of my piecemeal smoke play aside, that in particular was really bugging me. And the more and more I think about it the more and more it seems like my only reliable option would be to breaker out of it... which is scary because what's stopping him from just doing it all over again? At this point it feels like I MUST have a breaker ready or almost ready against cyrax at pretty much all times lol
Exactly. That's why cyrax has such bullshit pressure and why he's a tough match up.

You need to literally run circles around cyrax and avoid all his attacks. Once you even have to block something of his out comes the command grab 50/50 and if you guess wrong you either eat 80% damage or eat 10% and get reset back into the same scenario. If you guess right, all you get is a relief from pressure.

Fucking. Bullshit.

TimTim

Don't Hate
How is the smoke vs sub matchup? I know there are plenty of matchup threads but I don't really trust em, I'd rather hear it from other smoke players. Also what is his best anti-air? I see people saying use jump back kick into s bomb but wouldn't it be easier to d1 and combo? I would try this out myself but I'm away from my xbox. Finally, how do I deal with neg edge on the f4 into en bomb reset, every time I f4 into db2 I get a tele and if I delay it nothing comes out. I know its getting hotfixed but I want to embarrass my friend with a 100% before it happens. Any answers would be appreciated and thanks guys, the smoke forums are great.

SZSR

Noob
How is the smoke vs sub matchup? I know there are plenty of matchup threads but I don't really trust em, I'd rather hear it from other smoke players. Also what is his best anti-air? I see people saying use jump back kick into s bomb but wouldn't it be easier to d1 and combo? I would try this out myself but I'm away from my xbox. Finally, how do I deal with neg edge on the f4 into en bomb reset, every time I f4 into db2 I get a tele and if I delay it nothing comes out. I know its getting hotfixed but I want to embarrass my friend with a 100% before it happens. Any answers would be appreciated and thanks guys, the smoke forums are great.
d1 Smoke bomb is the best, jump back kick is stupidly difficult to accurately get a smoke bomb afterwards.

Smoke vs Sub. is 5-5, as long as you keep up keep-away you're fine. You shouldn't have neg. edge from f4 to en bomb, if you are, you're doing it too fast. Slow it down.

I$AAC

Noob
Ok so I recently picked up smoke and I got a question. What's the trick to hitting the F4 reset? Do I have to hit them with F4 as close to the ground as possible? What juggles are the best for setting this reset up? Thanks in advance

Not worth learning, it's being hotfixed out. Regardless the best time to do it is at the end of any of Smoke's main BnBs; substitute jk xx airthrow for f4 xx EXbomb.

I$AAC

Noob
Oh ok well that sucks. I will still use smoke I like his playstyle. I used to main Kano exclusively but I'm starting to branch out to other characters

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I swear it seems like they already implemented an attempted fix of the reset; I can still land it but not nearly as frequently. You can see in the casual videos I play the F+4 lottery at the end of every combo and the reset only lands once in all of the videos.

Instead it's been popping them up for 10 damage almost every time...

I swear it seems like they already implemented an attempted fix of the reset; I can still land it but not nearly as frequently. You can see in the casual videos I play the F+4 lottery at the end of every combo and the reset only lands once in all of the videos.

Instead it's been popping them up for 10 damage almost every time...
I've been getting this too. Sometimes it resets, sometimes it pops up for 10 damage. Haven't been able to figure out what the difference is.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I've been getting this too. Sometimes it resets, sometimes it pops up for 10 damage. Haven't been able to figure out what the difference is.
Well, since the reset was discovered it was determined that are 3 possibilities when you do a F+4 > EX bomb; resetting, pop up for 10 damage, or they are able to block the EX bomb which stands them up and does 2% chip.

Which one you get is dependent on where they are in the rolling animation when the ex bomb connects. There are multiple windows of opportunity for each result across the entirety of the rolling animation. This makes it extremely difficult to nail down a specific set up or timing that will land it every time; there are so many variables.

I have preferred set ups, but I'm still working on figuring one out that will reset everytime

Part of me is worried about the possibility that when they get the full blown patch out, ex smokebomb after F4 won't even get the 10% damage.

As for hitting the reset, I've had good luck with 3d12>3d12>3d12>b2xxSmokebomb>F4xxExSmokebomb. The 2nd 3d12 can of course just be a 32, but I'm not sure if the gravity is going to play out better that way.

Anyways, I hate waiting for these patches--it's an ongoing process of adapting to new tech, and then adapting again when that tech gets removed.

Edit: So I hopped into practice, and the above combo is still working for me quite often (maybe 50% of the time, even midscreen). It also sets you up for an easy 32, 3d12, F4xxExSmokebomb for either another possible reset or damage in the 80s. Getting the reset off of B23 is a different matter altogether though, lol.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Smoke Reset question

Ummm, does the EX smoke bomb reset need to be strictly with F4? Im asking cause i was testing some stuff just now and did a naked smoke bomb followed it with 3d12,3d12,4~EX smoke bomb and it reseted just like the F4 ones. Sometimes it pops up like a normal smoke bomb and sometimes it just takes 10%. Timing is strict but not as strict as the f4 one.

Sorry i made a thread about it, but i didn't know where to ask, and if this is old news my bad as well.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Ummm, does the EX smoke bomb reset need to be strictly with F4? Im asking cause i was testing some stuff just now and did a naked smoke bomb followed it with 3d12,3d12,4~EX smoke bomb and it reseted just like the F4 ones. Sometimes it pops up like a normal smoke bomb and sometimes it just takes 10%. Timing is strict but not as strict as the f4 one.

Sorry i made a thread about it, but i didn't know where to ask, and if this is old news my bad as well.
You have to delay the f4 a bit and is easyer if you are near the corner. But is very good thing....you do 40 combo and then reset or 10% damage from the bomb so it is atleast 50% combo.....NOT bad.I usuali go to 93% with 3 bars......then i panic:) The good thing is that it works online....

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
You can not get reset from standing 4........atleast never happen to me.......cause i use it all the time....3d12 dash 32 dash 4 ex bomb. Are you sure that the AI is on blocke mode. If is posible, then is much harder the f4..........

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
You can not get reset from standing 4........atleast never happen to me.......cause i use it all the time....3d12 dash 32 dash 4 ex bomb. Are you sure that the AI is on blocke mode. If is posible, then is much harder the f4..........
First time i got it was playing arcade ladder, i was kinda skeptical if it was indeed a reset so i went into training and set the ai into block always after the smoke bomb hits then proceeded with the combo and viola it reseted with block always.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
If you test this with a human / another controller and it comes up positive then this one slipped past me, but i have done testing and it hasn't ever reset for me, it will be blockable by humans.

The reason the F4 catches and resets is probably because of the hitbox of EX bomb and the position that they are in, the sort of rolling/slamming animation. This is why its hard to time consistantly, because the position of the fall they are in, related to how high they are when you kick them, and what distance from the wall they are at, and at certain heights they will be reset into smoke bomb, other times they will block , and other times it just plain misses!

You cant rely on the AI or training mode, which is dissapointing, so if you can test this with another player, and it resets still, then smoke probably just opened up a new level. Cyrax got nothing on smoke!

Not a true reset, just the AI incapable of blocking. Ask Smoke Thread would be the best place to put this, since you asked :)

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
It's funny. Up until someone revealed the F4 reset to be an actual reset, I used to do it occasionally in practice mode, but thought it was that same AI glitch. xD

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I should make a sticky about smoke's resets/the properties of EX smoke bomb. We seem to get a new thread about this once a month lol.

EDIT: "Smoke Reset Question" thread merged into "Ask Smoke" thread