What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

Enenra

Go to hell.
Well, he's not a zoning character, as his projectiles do no chip, and he can't do anything fullscreen to damage his opponent. He's the ultimate anti-zoner and punisher in the game. That's what he's best at: punishing. But Smoke can be played in various ways.

People say I play a runaway Smoke since I keep distance a lot, bait, punish, and rely on a lot of tricks that allow me to pressure opponents after countering anything. On the other hand, Smokes like Anti Static's are rushdown orientated; he's on your face a lot.

There's no right way of playing Smoke, and that's what I love about the character. You really have to develop your own style. If you're a rushdown player, then by all means, you can have a rushdown Smoke.
Alright, that's pretty cool. I have a rushdown character already (lol) so how do you recommend playing the runaway, bait n play Smoke? I'm very interested in YOUR style because everyone says you're so good. Thanks

Enenra? I've played you on XBL before. A long time ago. I was confused when you didn't pick smoke LOL

I play the most abusive runaway smoke there is. I never ever get in my opponent's face unless you're in/near the corner. With this style though, you need to have pretty intimate knowledge of how all of the other fighter's strings work, frame advantage/disadvantage on block, etc. so you can counter appropriately. Most pressure situations can be alleviated with a d1, d3, or instant jump back kick xx air throw, but that's not an end all by any means. I personally don't think a rushdown smoke outside the corner is all that useful, unless you count d1 dash d1 dash d1 pressure as "rushdown". Smoke's ghetto like that.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Enenra? I've played you on XBL before. A long time ago. I was confused when you didn't pick smoke LOL

I play the most abusive runaway smoke there is. I never ever get in my opponent's face unless you're in/near the corner. With this style though, you need to have pretty intimate knowledge of how all of the other fighter's strings work, frame advantage/disadvantage on block, etc. so you can counter appropriately. Most pressure situations can be alleviated with a d1, d3, or instant jump back kick xx air throw, but that's not an end all by any means. I personally don't think a rushdown smoke outside the corner is all that useful, unless you count d1 dash d1 dash d1 pressure as "rushdown". Smoke's ghetto like that.
Haha, I promise I've gotten tons better since then. God I was so horrible at this game for so long.
I made my name before MK9 and Smoke, so I didn't feel obligated to main him. Now though I want to, since he is the top ninja, and I really like ninjas. It's the twelve year old in me. Also because he is such a good anti zoner, and the game (and online) are chocked full of zoning characters, but that's less important :). Cool though, thanks for the input.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Learning spacing is a vital tool to have in my opinion since most of smokes normals are sluggish at best. Knowing when you are in JiP range ... walking back and smacking someone with b2,3~Bomb is the best feeling... considering you're going to get at least 35% damage and either smoke towards pressure or you can try the lottery.

I like him mainly because he eats Kitana up and forces Mileena to play rather unsafe.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
With this style though, you need to have pretty intimate knowledge of how all of the other fighter's strings work, frame advantage/disadvantage on block, etc. so you can counter appropriately..
This is pretty much what I was gonna post. lol

This style comes naturally for me since I'm a zoner. I also mainly use Kenshi and Freddy, and will probably be moving up the latter from tertiary to 2nd main since his playstyle is a combination of Smoke and Kenshi. =D

I like him mainly because he eats Kitana up
Rushdown Kitanas are a pain. Then again, I only play gr8one06, so that may explain why I have a hard time.

I'm pretty sure you saw me fail with Smoke against Mileena. If you remember, what can I do to get better?
I vaguely remember what strategies you used against Mileena. Like I mentioned in the other topic, things to be aware of is that you can anti-air her out of U3 with standing 2. You can duck under her second EX telekick and either do D1, D1~SB (offline), uppercut her, or at the very least, poke her before she does her frame trap. Smoke is the character who can punish her the greatest, so don't let her get away with any blocked rolls or telekicks. As an alternative to crossing her over and doing a JpK+grab when she does her D4, you can play footsies with D3 or D1. Be aware of Mileenas who cancel D4 into an overhead roll, and punish accordingly. Counter any aerial sais with telepunch, D1, or standing 2 (the latter two if she does them up close), and ground sais with Shake, obviously. And really, you should never be rushing her down.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Thanks man! Hopefully I can put those strats to use.

The reason I asked was b/c I remember you saying in the stream chat, "don't be so greedy and just grab her!" b/c I was 3D12 D1-ing then crossing over like a dumbass. haha I remember doing that and then throwing her and your advice worked, but it was a little too late for me.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Thanks man! Hopefully I can put those strats to use.

The reason I asked was b/c I remember you saying in the stream chat, "don't be so greedy and just grab her!" b/c I was 3D12 D1-ing then crossing over like a dumbass. haha I remember doing that and then throwing her and your advice worked, but it was a little too late for me.
lol. I was speaking generally though. Throws in this game work like...90% of the times unless your opponent expects it. People tend to drag on things like 3 D1 > 3 D1 (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you), hoping their opponent will let go of block so they can do their best BnB, when they can just throw their opponents, especially with Smoke, who can continue the pain after a throw.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
lol. I was speaking generally though. Throws in this game work like...90% of the times unless your opponent expects it. People tend to drag on things like 3 D1 > 3 D1 (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you), hoping their opponent will let go of block so they can do their best BnB, when they can just throw their opponents, especially with Smoke, who can continue the pain after a throw.
I've finally gotten it into my head NOT to throw smoke bombs after a knockdown, but to whiff telepunch into pressure! Of course, now doing that all the time will get me in trouble. Gotta learn to sometimes smoke towards after a knockdown instead to keep them guessing.

Still trying to beat it into my brain to throw more as well since that is also something you can telepunch pressure off of! (Stop crossing over all the time! *smacks self* lol)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Whats the deal on stream with the "SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE, SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE" with all the combos. Cant even see how that came about, really annoying and pointless and i bet it is fairly offputting when your playing and 30 people shouting behind you with your every hit. Its one thing people getting hyped at events, but i just think this is annoying if anything . /rant over

smokey It's the same thing as when people go "AH AH AHH! AH AH AHHHH! AH AH AHHHHHH!" in tempo with Smoke's combos (or anyone else's for that matter).

For starters most players wear headphones (most noise cancelling) so they don't even hear that stuff anyways. And I doubt it would be off-putting... for most people that would get them super hype. It's the same thing as when a kicker is running up to the football and the crowd yells "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOO" until he kicks it lol. Gets viewers involved and is meant to be fun for everyone. Psychology 'n shit.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
smokey It's the same thing as when people go "AH AH AHH! AH AH AHHHH! AH AH AHHHHHH!" in tempo with Smoke's combos (or anyone else's for that matter).

For starters most players wear headphones (most noise cancelling) so they don't even hear that stuff anyways. And I doubt it would be off-putting... for most people that would get them super hype. It's the same thing as when a kicker is running up to the football and the crowd yells "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOO" until he kicks it lol. Gets viewers involved and is meant to be fun for everyone. Psychology 'n shit.
Whats the deal on stream with the "SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE, SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE" with all the combos
Sabin was the first person I heard go "smoke smoke smoke" and personally, I love it to hear it during matches. I really feed off that energy; nothing better than having the crowd on your side.

Maybe I should modify my bnbs for maximum SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE

Whats the deal on stream with the "SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE, SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE" with all the combos. Cant even see how that came about, really annoying and pointless and i bet it is fairly offputting when your playing and 30 people shouting behind you with your every hit. Its one thing people getting hyped at events, but i just think this is annoying if anything . /rant over
Hm yes I too dislike fun.

HD Smoke

Noob
Sabin was the first person I heard go "smoke smoke smoke" and personally, I love it to hear it during matches. I really feed off that energy; nothing better than having the crowd on your side.

Maybe I should modify my bnbs for maximum SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE
Absolutely i think people yelling SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE is freaking awesome.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I have some fairly basic questions to ask about Smoke's blockstrings.

3d12 followed by d1 is a great way of applying pressure. I know if the d1 hits I have a number of options, one of the first I realised was the potential for smoke away for run away against characters you want to maintain distance against. Are there any characters in the cast who can punish you for smoke away after hc'ing the d1? If the d1 hits, do I get a follow up 21, smoke bomb/214, smoke away for free? Also, if the d1 is blocked, how much disadvantage am I at? More than enough for them to counterpoke?

I tend to play Smoke like I play Sub-Zero now just with the obvious increased mobility and better whiff punishment, lol. I am sure I'll get better with him as I think he's a monster of a character. His footsies are 10 times better than Sub's and I've always thought of Sub as completely dependent on footsies.

Also, one more question: is Smoke's d4 as good as Sub-Zero's on hit and on block? It seems to be the exact same move with a slightly different animation. If so, that is really useful for his pressure game.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I have some fairly basic questions to ask about Smoke's blockstrings.

3d12 followed by d1 is a great way of applying pressure. I know if the d1 hits I have a number of options, one of the first I realised was the potential for smoke away for run away against characters you want to maintain distance against. Are there any characters in the cast who can punish you for smoke away after hc'ing the d1? If the d1 hits, do I get a follow up 21, smoke bomb/214, smoke away for free? Also, if the d1 is blocked, how much disadvantage am I at? More than enough for them to counterpoke?

I tend to play Smoke like I play Sub-Zero now just with the obvious increased mobility and better whiff punishment, lol. I am sure I'll get better with him as I think he's a monster of a character. His footsies are 10 times better than Sub's and I've always thought of Sub as completely dependent on footsies.

Also, one more question: is Smoke's d4 as good as Sub-Zero's on hit and on block? It seems to be the exact same move with a slightly different animation. If so, that is really useful for his pressure game.
While 3d12 > d1 is a good trap, especially against opponents who are jump happy, I doubt you'll see much success with it unless you use it sparingly and with a lot of mix ups. This isn't because of any inherent obviousness so much as that us Smoke players have already abused the shit out of it and everyone knows it. After they block a d1, if they're paying attention they can punish it with their own d1 or d3 and depending on the character, this can reverse pressure on you.

On paper, the advantage on hit of d1 isn't enough to guarantee any follow up besides another d1, but in reality it can scare them into blocking allowing you to continue pressure.

If the d1 connects, the follow up smoke drift away is safe besides fast advancing specials that go full screen (ex shadow kick, ex shoulder charge, ex blade charge, kano ball, superman, etc.) Note that the regular versions of those EX moves won't go far enough and will whiff. If the d1 is blocked, and if they're frame perfect with a retaliation poke it will hit and the fast advancing specials will have more success. BUT, it's unlikely they'll commit to chasing you like that once the drift is away from them.

As far as his d4 goes, yea it's extremely similar to Sub's in terms of hit and block stun but it's slower by 4 frames or so. Sub's d4 is retardedly fast.

gdf

Noob
It's the same thing as when people go "AH AH AHH! AH AH AHHHH! AH AH AHHHHHH!" in tempo with Smoke's combos (or anyone else's for that matter).

You are right about the "AH, AH, AH" it really just feels like it is situational. Like in the video in my sig, it felt warranted based solely on the situation. Not just because it was Smoke being played.
I know when subzerosmokerai gets combos on me, I don't say it to him. So yeah, I'm just elaborating/restating what you already said.

hardwire

Noob
ill ask my question in here to get some more input from my thread

how on god green earth do we deal with cyber sub

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I have more of a combo question. I've noticed most people use the b2,3~SB 3,d1,2 3,2 f4~exSB to get the "lottery"

What is the difference between that combo above and simply going b2,3~SB 3,2 3,2 f4~exSB? I've noticed i don't really miss the "lottery" very often at all because the timing is less strict. Is it just a preference thing?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Tips on hitting an NJP > whiff telepunch to switch directionality of a combo? I cannot do it consistently.
Plink your input and abuse negative edge, Jump up and do DB1or2 then hit 4 like in the same motion.
Input will look like, DB14 or DB24 depending on the button you use for punching, but you need to dial the input first or theres just not enough time to connect it.
same thing as doing kitnas jumping kick fans or scorpions jk teleports in combo. Takes practice but i have this 100% down so you can too :p

Also for combos where you cant njp, like B2,3 SB you can mash telepunch on the rgound after the smoke bomb and you will swap sides and still be able to catch the juggle in time. Again, practice makes perfect.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Question, does anyone think that using xray for a rain-esque armoured dash would ever be worth it, i cant personally say it would but can anyone give me a reason to think otherwise?

hardwire

Noob
Question, does anyone think that using xray for a rain-esque armoured dash would ever be worth it, i cant personally say it would but can anyone give me a reason to think otherwise?
why in green hell would you burn 3 meter to dash

ok reason number 1 ex smoke toward INVUNURABLE! 1 meter for no damage and better movement

that is really the only reason you need.

EX smoke towards is vulnerable on startup. The point of an X-Ray cancel is for the armor to take hits you normally couldn't and dash in and "punish". EX smoke towards is going to cross you up and in many cases put you outside of smoke's range, even a b23 might be iffy.

It's a shenanigan and that's about it. Doesn't really warrant discussion.