What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

kandehbar

The Gryphon
The way i beat subzero is with risk strings. B2-3-Smoke bomb since if they block the B2-3 the lag between the buffered smoke bomb is just long enough for them to try to punish the B2-3 but they eat smoke bomb. Dont use it to much since they will get wise. And i Agree with kt to some extent but i think that a character that can make smoke stay in one zone (close range, mid, or far) successfully is what gives smoke trouble because smoke is at his best when he is moving around the screen, not just in one area but moving everywhere.

Just watched the your first match, and you should have won. You dropped or missed combos in Round 3 2-3 times which would have won you the match. Overall I think you just ran a little too much. He was constantly chasing you down with jumps which you could have easily tp him out of. He threw a lot of ice in the first 2 rounds that you could have shaked. Just some small things that are easy to see when you watch the replay not so easy mid-match.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
alright frothyomen after watching your stream I got good advise for you

-online is for testing only and doesnt determine your skill I saw combos you droped that you probably wouldnt offline

-JIP shouldnt be spammed like it is its easily punishable but online it really isnt

-Practice comboing of an anti air poke or anti air JIP "trade", its really easy with smoke and that is a key thing to learn with any character that is capable of doing it, its really a tornement level skill to learn.

-Dash cancel whiffed shakes at fullscreen ( if they know your consciece of shakes they might zone you less)

-USE B2-3 IN CONJUNCTION WITH D3 OR B4, dude B2 is like the BEST OVERHEAD IN THE FRIKKEN GAME its so fast and the range on it is retarded long for an over head B2 by its self combos into smoke bomb and so does the string (the sting does doesnt combo in the corner with smokebomb)

Im only giving you this advise cause when i saw your smoke i saw flowchart smoke. If you dont take this to offense this advise should help your smoke play but for overall gameplay watch top 8 torney matches

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I've never considered jip > d4 > b23 trap though, I'll try to work that in :)
yea dude, its such a good pattern. d4 combos out of jip so the only way to guard it fully is to stand block the punch and then immediately fuzzy guard low and NO ONE will do that against Smoke until you teach them to, at which point you substitute b23 after a blocked jip. bam, full combo.

d4 is probably smoke's best move. His only mix ups come out of d4 frame traps.

-Practice comboing of an anti air poke or anti air JIP "trade", its really easy with smoke and that is a key thing to learn with any character that is capable of doing it, its really a tornement level skill to learn.
On this point in particular. I'm pretty consistent at comboing people after an antiair jump punch. I've never ever hit the d1 > d1 though, but I only play online so maybe I'm allowed to blame netcode for that? lol

And thank you for all of the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it! Losing that round 3 was such bullshit, I was HAMMERING out an EX Telepunch on wakeup and it just didn't come out :( haha

SZSR

Noob
Can you post a vid about the d4, b2 trap? I seem to only do D4, Smoke bombs when I try it. :\ Am I doing it too fast or what? This is the last piece of Smoke tech. I can't seem to get down.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
On this point in particular. I'm pretty consistent at comboing people after an antiair jump punch. I've never ever hit the d1 > d1 though, but I only play online so maybe I'm allowed to blame netcode for that? lol

And thank you for all of the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it! Losing that round 3 was such bullshit, I was HAMMERING out an EX Telepunch on wakeup and it just didn't come out :( haha
Yea, I wouldn't worry about it. It's stuff like that which made me stop playing online unless its to just fuck around. Losing a match you should (and would) have won just because of so much bullshit.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Now for my question i cant really test this cause i dont got my xbox here on campus but how is B3. Is it safe on block, how well does it anti air, Can I use it for footsies

SZSR

Noob

If no one else stated this, you need to teleport punch when your opponent is in the air, seriously. If it doesn't hit them out of the air (which is desired), you end up gaining teleport meter anyways and a positioning advantage rather than being on the defensive.

They jump = Smoke teleport punch

Has helped me gain a lot of advantages, especially against Kung Lao.

Now for my question i cant really test this cause i dont got my xbox here on campus but how is B3. Is it safe on block, how well does it anti air, Can I use it for footsies
B3 or D3?
D3, You can footsie sure, not for damage but for annoyance and you can almost guaranteed do a d3 dash d3 dash grab for 14% damage. It's not much but it makes your Smoke more threatening to the high blocking opponent.
It's relatively safe on block as you get pushed back both on hit and on block. It doesn't Anti-Air though.
B3, you can anti-air a lot of moves with it and if fast enough, follow up a Smoke bomb. However timing is more of a pain for b3 than d1 any day of the week.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Can you post a vid about the d4, b2 trap? I seem to only do D4, Smoke bombs when I try it. :\ Am I doing it too fast or what? This is the last piece of Smoke tech. I can't seem to get down.
Yea, if you look at the jackalope video it's in there. If you're getting smoke bomb you're doing it wayyyy to fast. You have to wait until Smoke begins to stand up. If you're in the ball park of the window and do it too early, what will happen is that b2 won't register and you'll just get standing 3.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Well i know B3 timing is strict but i mean how is it when im trying to pressure. TBH even though smoke has good tools, hes a pretty linear character

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Well i know B3 timing is strict but i mean how is it when im trying to pressure. TBH even though smoke has good tools, hes a pretty linear character
I was actually responding to a post on the previous page about d4 > b2. I don't really see much of a use for b3; it's startup is slow which really kills it's usefulness.

And yea, Smoke is easily the most one-dimensional character in the game.

I'm picking Smoke back up and I have a few questions. Is it possible to d4-smoke bomb as an anti air possibly? Kind of like how Detroit Ballin does d4-ground skull with Shang? Also are we confirmed b23 is unsafe on block? Is there any strings that give him advantage? Or do we still rely on 3d12-d1? And finally, ending strings in smoke toward or away to play mind games seems like a good idea in my head, but is it really viable? I mean if they try to jump on you, you can njp or teleport. If not then you can do a block string, grab, low pokes, seems like a lot of possibilities and options for Smoke.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I'm picking Smoke back up and I have a few questions. Is it possible to d4-smoke bomb as an anti air possibly? Kind of like how Detroit Ballin does d4-ground skull with Shang? Also are we confirmed b23 is unsafe on block? Is there any strings that give him advantage? Or do we still rely on 3d12-d1? And finally, ending strings in smoke toward or away to play mind games seems like a good idea in my head, but is it really viable? I mean if they try to jump on you, you can njp or teleport. If not then you can do a block string, grab, low pokes, seems like a lot of possibilities and options for Smoke.
d4 and d1 are risky as AA. Sweep is the safest jump in AA. For cross up AA on anticipation is NJP on reaction is instant jump punch or (riskier) well timed TP.

yea, 3d12 is still his best string, but he has other frame traps. Known traps:

3d12 > d1
d4 > b23
214 > smoke bomb
112 > smoke bomb
(from point blank) d4 > dash xx 3d12

Also of note, 13 gives slight advantage on hit.

Just thought I'd add my reflection from that video I posted in the last page. I just rewatched it and cringed the entire time. So many mistakes. I should have won that game so many times over, but I dropped a ridiculous number of combos T____T so painful to watch

A lesson to all of you Smoke players out there; DON'T LOSE YOUR COOL. Smoke's juggles are way more time and positioning sensitive than non-smoke players seem to understand... Be ready for anything at any time. If you get excited with smoke you WILL drop combos and you WILL lose matches that you shouldn't, because he really does need every ounce of damage he can squeeze out. If I'm playing any other character I can be peppy and have fun and not have 100% perfect imputs and still get combos to come out correctly. With smoke... not so much. Learn your stuff guys, and practice a lot :) Instead taking Smoke to a wall where there's not much left to do, make your opponent run into that wall instead wondering "how the hell do I get in on this guy" and take advantage of him. I believe this is the way he should be played to be fully effective.

TLDR float like a butterfly, sting like a goddamn freight train. choo choo motherfucker!! :D << totally screaming that on every jk xx airthrow > whiff tp > unblocked combo from now on

Sorry for derailing but I wanted to share my story. It was damn beautiful and inspiring and all that cuddly stuff.

Does anyone know if smoke gets any advantage off of a blocked EX Smoke Bomb? I.E. if it can be used for pressure like JC's EX Forceball or Kitana's EX Cutter(?).

When Cyrax does his command grab and gets a free jump in on me, what's the best response as smoke other than continue blocking and get raped by resets/free jump ins?

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Does anyone know if smoke gets any advantage off of a blocked EX Smoke Bomb? I.E. if it can be used for pressure like JC's EX Forceball or Kitana's EX Cutter(?).

When Cyrax does his command grab and gets a free jump in on me, what's the best response as smoke other than continue blocking and get raped by resets/free jump ins?
1. No advantage
2. block, reactionary X-ray, (im not sure about ex teleport i think he can hit you out of it)

Heard of a sweep?
I don't think constantly sweeping for a mere 7% damage only to engage in the wakeup guessing game each time is something that would put fear into your opponents, and it doesn't allow you to keep piling on pressure like the stagger from D4 does. D4 is way more handy; I hardly ever see tournament players even do sweeps when they can do D4 mixups instead.

I don't think constantly sweeping for a mere 7% damage only to engage in the wakeup guessing game each time is something that would put fear into your opponents, and it doesn't allow you to keep piling on pressure like the stagger from D4 does. D4 is way more handy; I hardly ever see tournament players even do sweeps when they can do D4 mixups instead.
You can crossover after a sweep to mess with their wake-up attack.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
I don't think constantly sweeping for a mere 7% damage only to engage in the wakeup guessing game each time is something that would put fear into your opponents, and it doesn't allow you to keep piling on pressure like the stagger from D4 does. D4 is way more handy; I hardly ever see tournament players even do sweeps when they can do D4 mix-ups instead.
Well smoke sweep is the fastest in the game. We dont see that many tourney smoke players. But i promise good smoke players will mix D4 and B4. You want to use B4 in the beginning to see what wake ups your opponents are prone to. You do D4 manly for footsies and corner pressure. When you B4 for the wake up game you will bring out there best wake up and you can punish/predict if able

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Well smoke sweep is the fastest in the game.
Second fastest; Kabal's is faster.

D4 and sweep actually have different uses; D4 is much better when you're laying down/starting pressure and sweep is better used to fish for knockdowns from sweep distance and AA.