What's new

About those option selects...

Are Option Selects good?

• Yes, they should stay (they should be untouched by NRS)

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • No, they should go (they should be patched-out by NRS)

Votes: 122 93.1%

• Total voters

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
The cancel mechanic? Can't they force it so that the OS moves in the game become unusable? Like, if the first fit of raiden's b2 is blocked, it won't be cancelable anymore. If you cancel Reptile's B3 into DB2, directional inputs won't respond anymore. They can't do things like that?
If it was that easy it would have been fixed long ago. They're probably still trying to find a way to remove it, can't remove it, or won't remove it

OS just remove the Risks and rewards which are already shit in this game with Semi or fully safe 50/50s that both lead to high damage. IMO If this shit stays there's no reason to take this game serious.

As a Jax player its is just annoying.
B2 for example isn't special cancelable on block only on hit for whatever reasons.
Rocket cancels are espescially an issue when ur starting with f21, b34 or 123 cuz u can't just input it in a hole fast move, NO you have to WAIT till u see the rocket coming out cuz if u do it in one move the ff+block or bb+block will cancel the whole rocket coming out.
This also causes the OH dash punch to often not come out cuz u pressed the DOWN too early. You have to delay the Down input of the OH Dash Punch for certain strings like f21, 123 or b34.

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
If it was that easy it would have been fixed long ago. They're probably still trying to find a way to remove it, can't remove it, or won't remove it
A friend of mine is a programmer in college, and he says the logic behind it is easy. You just have to learn how to code in conditions, situations and stuff. I mean, he's really good, he's been giving classes to other students on how to program games for a few months now, at his professor's request.

I don't know how MK works, but from what I've learned about logic and logic languages, it's pretty easy to write sentences like the ones I wrote.

Saying "it would be already gone by now if they wanted to" is not the explanation I'm looking for. To me, it sounds like "if they wanted this game balanced, it would have been since day one". There are many bigger issues to solve before a game is released, the balance being one, and they couldn't get it right.

Last edited:

SonicKaballs

Kaballin' since June 2011
you know what I love? overheads the speed of pokes. I actually got told I have granny reactions because I couldnt fuzzy reptile's overhead

SonicKaballs

Kaballin' since June 2011
OS just remove the Risks and rewards which are already shit in this game with Semi or fully safe 50/50s that both lead to high damage. IMO If this shit stays there's no reason to take this game serious.

As a Jax player its is just annoying.
B2 for example isn't special cancelable on block only on hit for whatever reasons.
Rocket cancels are espescially an issue when ur starting with f21, b34 or 123 cuz u can't just input it in a hole fast move, NO you have to WAIT till u see the rocket coming out cuz if u do it in one move the ff+block or bb+block will cancel the whole rocket coming out.
This also causes the OH dash punch to often not come out cuz u pressed the DOWN too early. You have to delay the Down input of the OH Dash Punch for certain strings like f21, 123 or b34.
maybe I'm on an old patch but on PC I remember B2 cancelling into energy wave regardless

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
A friend of mine is a programmer in college, and he says the logic behind it is easy. You just have to learn how to code in conditions, situations and stuff. I mean, he's really good, he's been giving classes to other students on how to program games for a few months now, at his professor's request.

I don't know how MK works, but from what I've learned about logic and logic languages, it's pretty easy to write sentences like the ones I wrote.

Saying "it would be already gone by now if they wanted to" is not the explanation I'm looking for. To me, it sounds like "if they wanted this game balanced, it would have been since day one". There are many bigger issues to solve before a game is released, the balance being one, and they couldn't get it right. I think you are speculating too hard, Fraud.
I thought the way you ended that post was calling him out as a fraud. lol

I said in a thread talking about how NRS put the button combo 1+2 for interactables but also as some characters strings. I really wish they would communicate more. Everyone is now coming to different conclusions on OSes. I would be happy with just a "we're working on it but technical stuff makes it harder" where they actually say the technical stuff.

I thought the way you ended that post was calling him out as a fraud. lol

I said in a thread talking about how NRS put the button combo 1+2 for interactables but also as some characters strings. I really wish they would communicate more. Everyone is now coming to different conclusions on OSes. I would be happy with just a "we're working on it but technical stuff makes it harder" where they actually say the technical stuff.
KI has its own official forum where the developers recently made a poll on what they should change/do about Fulgores Heavy laser cuz it was too dominant. http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=7483.0

I really wish NSR could make TYm the official Forum and we could get some feedback
And not just we guys predicting and hoping.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
if people have such a big problem with OS's why werent those people shouting about it 4 years ago for mk9 to have the system mechanics looked at. was in that aswell. i doubt its going, i guess they could change the ratio of block/hit cancel frames on certain moves (like radiens b2) to stop the "big ones"

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
if people have such a big problem with OS's why werent those people shouting about it 4 years ago for mk9 to have the system mechanics looked at. was in that aswell. i doubt its going, i guess they could change the ratio of block/hit cancel frames on certain moves (like radiens b2) to stop the "big ones"
Yeah, seems weird people aren't making the association that this was in every single recent NRS game.

Just imagine what the tier lists would look like if Cyrax OSed his net/command grab, DD his d1 venom/shake etc.

Option selects are dumb. Throw immunity is dumb. Stance switch is dumb (except for PPJ dance off button checks). Why NRS? Why do you do this to me?

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
OS's shouldn't exist. From what I've gathered it's completely non-intentional and not how the game was intended to be played. Things are negative for a reason.

right now it Looks like the game was not designed with OS in mind, as it messes up the risk/reward relation for 50/50 chars like raiden. so patch out plz.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
To patch it out they would have to rework how inputs are read and how their buffer system works. They have been using the same system since MK9, and most likely can't change it without having to start from scratch. The only reason the 1+2+3 option select triggering MB moves was in the game, was because it was a carry over from the injustice game engine and they forgot to remove it for MKX. They can release a new game every 2 years because all they are doing is adding things to an engine they developed for MK9. Reworking the buffer system would be more than they can probably handle right now. At least thats my working hypothesis.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Can't believe I've played 2300 matches in MKX without understanding a concept/exploit in the game that has prolly been used against me relentlessly. Seems cheap and unfair. Despite my limited understanding I think it needs patched out. Idk how they'd go about it but definitely seems like an unfair advantage.
I don't see why it's an unfair advantage; everybody has it

Gliss

Χ Ξ Σ
From a logical POV they should be thrown out the window.Not only because they're a shitty mechanic ( in my opinion ) but they're counter intuitive to the game style that NRS wants MK X to be,and that's 50/50. You can't have 50/50s and OS...it's just plain dumb.

Also,if a string was designed to be punishable on block,OS totally defeats the purpose of that.

Is there a list of all the OS stuff out there?I'd love to take a look at it.

Matix218

Get over here!
Can't believe I've played 2300 matches in MKX without understanding a concept/exploit in the game that has prolly been used against me relentlessly. Seems cheap and unfair. Despite my limited understanding I think it needs patched out. Idk how they'd go about it but definitely seems like an unfair advantage.
Its worse than cheap IMO

It removes all risk for the attacker. It makes things that were designed to be risky (due to high reward) only come out if the move hits thus removing that high risk and making the situation for the attacker become "no risk, high reward" it really needs to go. Im sure nrs did not intend for this to be in the game

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I personally dont see anything wrong with option selects period.
In Streetfighter the biggest one was the crouch teching, and not that many people were a fan.
But it felt needed. Imagine being pinned in the corner by Dudley with no Crouch Tech.
Point is sometimes its more necessary than you like to think. Never played MK to know how bad it is, but i really dont mind em if you can do it. If every character has option selects, wouldnt that technically make it "balanced"?