What's new

About those option selects...

Are Option Selects good?

• Yes, they should stay (they should be untouched by NRS)

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • No, they should go (they should be patched-out by NRS)

Votes: 122 93.1%

• Total voters

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
F4 sparks
Yeah, but it wouldn't make him safe without burning the bar and he doesn't just easily get meter, but that is something I guess. Nothing to scoff at, but it's not leading to anything significant. Still ultimately worth learning, especially with other normals.

Matix218

Get over here!
Like I said, discuss all you want, but complaining because you want something you don't want to learn out of a game is dumb.
You are an idiot, plain and simple. Everyone who you have been arguing with didn't say ANYTHING about not wanting to learn the option selects. Not wanting to learn them has nothing to do with this. I will learn and abuse them until they are (hopefully) patched out. But I still don't think they should be there at all because they dumb down the game. Why dont you see that these option selects are brainless ways to make an unsafe and high risk move have no risk at all. WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT IF IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR IT TO BE FIXED????

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I feel OS destroy the idea of committing.I main sub zero but even I think he shouldn't have an OS for iceball that combos.
I think thats a good thing. I always felt the inability to hit confirm led you to limiting yourself to only committing to strings that left you safe on block. Making the game linear and leaving you with a cluttered move set in which only 2 or 3 stings were viable. Option selects in this game have allowed you now to hit confirm. You can play more aggressively and use more strings now. Without them the game would be more linear that it actually is now because you would be forced to commit to only strings that leave you safe on block.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
You are an idiot, plain and simple. Everyone who you have been arguing with didn't say ANYTHING about not wanting to learn the option selects. Not wanting to learn them has nothing to do with this. I will learn and abuse them until they are (hopefully) patched out. But I still don't think they should be there at all because they dumb down the game. Why dont you see that these option selects are brainless ways to make an unsafe and high risk move have no risk at all. WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT IF IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR IT TO BE FIXED????
:coffee: I hope they stay forever and the people who didn't adapt quit the game. I really don't care how you see them. As stated before I guess SF is brainless too. Mk9 and Injustice must be as well.
Also it won't be "fixed" cause it isn't a problem

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
If they can't remove the OS's that lead to semi-safe bullshit than they're options to work around them for problematic poopy like safe high damage 50/50s(*Cough*Raiden'sashitbagcharacterandhasbeendumbsincemk1*cough*). Otherwise I have no opinion on any of the other nuances that come with the OS baggage

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I think thats a good thing. I always felt the inability to hit confirm led you to limiting yourself to only committing to strings that left you safe on block. Making the game linear and leaving you with a cluttered move set in which only 2 or 3 stings were viable. Option selects in this game have allowed you now to hit confirm. You can play more aggressively and use more strings now. Without them the game would be more linear that it actually is now because you would be forced to commit to only strings that leave you safe on block.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Im sorry but this makes no sense. So you are saying without OS people would be forced to only do things that are safe? Do you think Raiden players will stop using b22 without the OS? Its called making a read and taking a risk, and people will definitely do that. Playing safe 100% of the time is impossible(even with OS I might add) and top players know the best time to take risks. If you like the fact that OS remove the risks thats cool and all, but saying that everyone would be forced to use only safe strings is simply untrue.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Im sorry but this makes no sense. So you are saying without OS people would be forced to only do things that are safe? Do you think Raiden players will stop using b22 without the OS? Its called making a read and taking a risk, and people will definitely do that. Playing safe 100% of the time is impossible(even with OS I might add) and top players know the best time to take risks. If you like the fact that OS remove the risks thats cool and all, but saying that everyone would be forced to use only safe strings is simply untrue.
I am not saying they would only use safe strings, but they would limit themselves to those strings for a vast majority of time. This OS allows you to add more variety to your pressure and attack patterns, making it harder for opponents to read you and easier for you to open opponents. It allows for more variety. Some like that, while others don't. If they can't remove this option select, they will most likely nerf the strings that utilize it like they did to Raiden (I am not saying that normalizing Raiden was a bad decision). If those nerfs are poorly done, they could make those strings unviable and thus limit your offensive options even more.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I am not saying they would only use safe strings, but they would limit themselves to those strings for a vast majority of time. This OS allows you to add more variety to your pressure and attack patterns, making it harder for opponents to read you and easier for you to open opponents. It allows for more variety. Some like that, while others don't. If they can't remove this option select, they will most likely nerf the strings that utilize it like they did to Raiden (I am not saying that normalizing Raiden was a bad decision). If those nerfs are poorly done, they could make those strings unviable and thus limit your offensive options even more.
I see what you are saying and will just have to agree to disagree. Like I said I am learning them and preparing for them to stay in.,

Matix218

Get over here!
but you are not hit confirming at all, the game is doing it for you. Part of what makes fighting games fun and exciting is taking risks sometimes that get you a high reward if you read your opponent is going to block or react a certain way. This eliminates that completely

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Honestly if they couldn't remove the OS but just did something else to balance having 100% safe ways to pressure people i guess i could live with it. Just do it the marvel way and have most things play dumb lol. What that something else is I haven't the slightest clue and am nervous/excited for where this goes.

Gliss

Χ Ξ Σ
Why are you all catergorizing OS as a problem? If it was something that needed to be "fixed" it would have.
Yeah,like the PC port,right ...RIGHT?

Also,i like how some people say "Ermac has a lot of great OS",yet none actually mention them.

Bestides B124 which can be OSed into teleport on hit,i haven't seen anything else anywhere.

Last edited:

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
:coffee: I hope they stay forever and the people who didn't adapt quit the game. I really don't care how you see them. As stated before I guess SF is brainless too. Mk9 and Injustice must be as well.
Also it won't be "fixed" cause it isn't a problem
There is no ability in helping inability

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Yeah, but it wouldn't make him safe without burning the bar and he doesn't just easily get meter, but that is something I guess. Nothing to scoff at, but it's not leading to anything significant. Still ultimately worth learning, especially with other normals.
I think Dizzy meant F4 xx Sparks only coming out on hit (only F4 comes out on block) so you stay safe without burning meter.

That's a very useful OS actually. For example with Bone Shaper if you mix F41D2 vs F41 xx Scoop, you do the OS for F41D2 xx Sparks to come out only on hit, so if they blocked the overhead the sparks don't come out and you're safe at -4.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I think Dizzy meant F4 xx Sparks only coming out on hit (only F4 comes out on block) so you stay safe without burning meter.

That's a very useful OS actually. For example with Bone Shaper if you mix F41D2 vs F41 xx Scoop, you do the OS for F41D2 xx Sparks to come out only on hit, so if they blocked the overhead the sparks don't come out and you're safe at -4.
Yeah I didn't realize he meant hit confirm OS. If anything that's... Yikes man.