What's new

About those option selects...

Are Option Selects good?

• Yes, they should stay (they should be untouched by NRS)

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • No, they should go (they should be patched-out by NRS)

Votes: 122 93.1%

• Total voters
Case: I understand that OS are integral part of some fighting games, but at the same time I find that mechanic unacceptable and lazy, and for this reason i stay away from those fighting games. I'm quite salty OS found their way into MKX.
On day 3 of MKX release I opened a thread/poll mentioning the fact that each day we are discovering new 50/50 vortexes. I was genuinely interested how our community feels. Personally I stated that MKX is a 50/50 blockbuster and that in the long run everything in this game will be based around those. Thread got closed (reason: game just got out) duh.
So i'm stating that option selects are dumb, bad, overly-siplified mechanic for a fighting game and SHOULD GO! They should be patched out by NRS.
I'm also stating that if OS are here to stay, then character's strength and his tier placement as well as tournament viability will be judged by quality and quantity of his OS.
As an Ermac player who has barely no OS, i'm salty.

Last edited:

Tigerbang

Legendary doodbro
First of all I do enjoy MKX offline a pretty good amount but I feel that many of the character balance issue's are intentional because their is WAY to much unviable material/attacks/variations compared to the absurdly obvious strong material some characters have that imo was for the purpose of appealing to the players by PUTTING IN LOTS OF MATERIAL THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED PURPOSELY, so when something is address it looks like they listened to their players and put effort into creating "balance adjustments". This is only a theory and I am not a game designer but I have played a lot of fighting games for a very long time and their is just no other excuse or reason for the abundant amount of unrefined mechanics being thrown around in MKX. Once again I think the game is cool plus has fun things but that does not make up for making correct choices in a match then losing to the game and not the other player. @testers4TheWin

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I don't like the idea of somehow 'cheating the system' to prevent a player from having to commit to a move (i.e, Raiden's OH option select and many others). It takes away some of the mind games such as knowing that if option A is punishable, the player should theoretically use option B more often than not, but will he use it? Having the option select there just turns the mind game into a straight up guess with no risk/reward factor, just reward.

Of course, if they're in the game, I think every tournament player should use it to be on the same playing field as everyone else, but ideally, I would get rid of them altogether.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I think they are here to stay so its pretty much a learn them or get out of the way type of mentality at this point.

Also Ermac has some of the best OS stuff in the game from what I undertstand.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Remember when people said "but the vortex's are punishable" well that got shot out of the window with these stupid option selects. PATCH THEM

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
The only time i can live with an OS if it's in an integral part of the game and can't really be removed. The cancel window OS is just a dumb one that comes from that special touch NRS seems to have. OSes like that one and many others should be patched out. The game wasn't intended to be played like that and it actually weakens the game overall.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
It probably is. That's what I thought but theirs got to be a way to fix it.

Someone should start a petition lol. These are literally breaking the game
Petition won't change shit. NRS changes the game to play and look like how they want it. And if there's something that they want changed but can't. too bad

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
New to fighting game terminology. What do you guys mean by option select?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
New to fighting game terminology. What do you guys mean by option select?
using a feature of the game that will yield different results for different situations

i.e in this game a lot of characters will use the different timing that occurs on hit vs on block to do something, like how Reptile can do B3~EX claw swipe while mashing down or back. If it lands, then he gets the combo; if it's blocked, then the swipe won't come out, leaving him safe and with his meter intact

Syzoth

So in theory, If they block the B3 (which means they're low blocking) you'd get an almost free overhead?

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
So in theory, If they block the B3 (which means they're low blocking) you'd get an almost free overhead?
Claw swipe isn't over head.

But if the blocked b3 nothing else would happen leaving you safe. But if they got hit you'd get a full combo because the Claw swipe launched them

Syzoth

Can't believe I've played 2300 matches in MKX without understanding a concept/exploit in the game that has prolly been used against me relentlessly. Seems cheap and unfair. Despite my limited understanding I think it needs patched out. Idk how they'd go about it but definitely seems like an unfair advantage.

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
Probably because it uses the core mechanics of the game, and changing it could have serious aftereffects.
The cancel mechanic? Can't they force it so that the OS moves in the game become unusable? Like, if the first fit of raiden's b2 is blocked, it won't be cancelable anymore. If you cancel Reptile's B3 into DB2, directional inputs won't respond anymore. They can't do things like that?