What's new

"You're Fired!" -- Joker General Discussion Thread

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
No, that's what I'm saying, it's the overhead you won't see, doesn't help that it's not like flash where you can always block high from a distance outside of his "short" d1, ares' reaches too far.
I'm confused then. I get that the ranges are different than Flash where you actually have to respect the low from a distance here, but they are very different speeds. If the low is 6f and the overhead is 19f, why is it that you can't fuzzy/react if he's going right into them from a MB teleport or something?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'm confused then. I get that the ranges are different than Flash where you actually have to respect the low from a distance here, but they are very different speeds. If the low is 6f and the overhead is 19f, why is it that you can't fuzzy/react if he's going right into them from a MB teleport or something?
You'd poke the teleport anyway but if he happens to be near you and wants to mix you up I think 19f is about the limit of seeable and most of his moves look very much alike, my local ares also uses invincibility in the corner where he does like 50% damage

StevoSuprem0

You'd poke the teleport anyway but if he happens to be near you and wants to mix you up I think 19f is about the limit of seeable and most of his moves look very much alike, my local ares also uses invincibility in the corner where he does like 50% damage
Interesting. Yeah, 19f is close to the limit, I just figured you could be somewhat anticipatory, but I could definitely be wrong. I thought of trying this against Flash when he's close enough, but his d12 is two lows, so can't try to fuzzy it. Oh well, I'll try it out if I ever fight one, but I don't have the experience to argue the point :confused:.
Corner stuff sounds not so fun lol.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Interesting. Yeah, 19f is close to the limit, I just figured you could be somewhat anticipatory, but I could definitely be wrong. I thought of trying this against Flash when he's close enough, but his d12 is two lows, so can't try to fuzzy it. Oh well, I'll try it out if I ever fight one, but I don't have the experience to argue the point :confused:.
Corner stuff sounds not so fun lol.
Yeah, I've seen some crazy damage there, add invisibility, godsmack shenanigans and unseeable meterless mixups and its hell.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Yeah, I remember foreverking jr and Mr. Aquaman too using some of those in some footage of them I've seen. Didn't know if he had any kind of fast overhead threat though.
As for the d2 discussion, I think I've just been too trained not to abuse it by my usual training partners. Flash and GL are very capable of punishing it >.>
I would also add that you have to be VERY precise on the spacing when using it against Superman, because he can f23 you if he is even a little bit inside of max range, though following with flower protects you I think.
Actually it's heavily abusable against Supes. At max range it's a safe teeth cancel, and when he's closer D2-flower keeps him in blockstun and close teeth cancel allows you to punish him if he tries to punish you with F23.

We get about 21% into a crowbar.

Joker doesn't really have much execution requirements IMO, everything he has is pretty straightforward, the main thing with what I'm saying is that we outrange him with B2 while being just a bit slower. We can keep him out and from max range it's not like he can punish D2, we really don't need to be so pessimistic when we finally see what we can see and possibly excel at.
I agree on all of this except the high execution part. Joker has some of the toughest execution in the game IMO. Every other character I have played/messed with is easy by comparison.
Teeth loops are not easy, nor are some of the stupider corner resets.

Admittedly, a lot of his other stuff is actually really easy, but he has a mix of easy and hard as fuck execution.

As for Ares, I actually looked into him a lot a while back when a friend started picking him up.

Yes he has a standing overhead (I think it's B2?) that combos into stuff meterless with or without trait. For his D1 low starter, he does need trait, but can still get decent meterless damage. This allows him to keep his meter for MB teleports, MB godsmack and MB projectile (And the occasional MB Invisibility which makes mixups retarded), which give him good zoning and and mixups.

Every MB teleport leads into a safe 50/50, or a full combo if used to punish something.

The rising sword traits is a godlike anti-air that allows for meterless combos.

9 second recharge on trait isn't shit. You burn 4 of them in the combo, then you can just projectile until one comes back. Hell, if you used the sword in the combo you can end in the projectile to put them full screen then throw the axe at their wakeup and that eats up the entire recharge pretty much.

I'm not saying Ares is godlike or anything, but he's definitely not bad.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Just because other chars are easy in this game doesn't mean he's high execution, maybe for this game.

StevoSuprem0

That's what we've been saying lol. Relative to this game, he is one of, if not the, hardest execution characters in the game.

Last edited:

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Well yeah, he's not KOF difficulty, but compared to other characters in this game he's definitely on the high end of execution. Unfortunately, my execution is not great, but on the plus side it is steadily improving.

On a side note, Qwark, I forget, how did you do your combo off the batcave missiles? I can't seem to get them in range for the BGB reset afterwards.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Well yeah, he's not KOF difficulty, but compared to other characters in this game he's definitely on the high end of execution. Unfortunately, my execution is not great, but on the plus side it is steadily improving.

On a side note, Qwark, I forget, how did you do your combo off the batcave missiles? I can't seem to get them in range for the BGB reset afterwards.
double j2 at specific angles into d2 mb rlg dash in 1 bgb

StevoSuprem0

How do you feel about the ambiguous BGB "vortex" where we can keep doing BGB into teeth and crossup j3, and time it so that the j3 hits before or after the teeth, but we still can get a b1 xx BGB either way (and does what I just said even make sense... lol)? This is known, right?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
How do you feel about the ambiguous BGB "vortex" where we can keep doing BGB into teeth and crossup j3, and time it so that the j3 hits before or after the teeth, but we still can get a b1 xx BGB either way (and does what I just said even make sense... lol)? This is known, right?
Unreliable, your opponent can wake up and you must keep changing the timing and hope they don't visually see which way to input them, at best it becomes a 50/50 if they're not actually mashing wakeups, someone like raven even catches you when crossed up backwards with her lift

StevoSuprem0

Unreliable, your opponent can wake up and you must keep changing the timing and hope they don't visually see which way to input them, at best it becomes a 50/50 if they're not actually mashing wakeups, someone like raven even catches you when crossed up backwards with her lift
The alternative would be to use MB f3 like you did in the stage combo video, but that would be burning a lot of meter for not a lot of reward... guess it's just gimmicky at best, unless there is a way to get more damage out of each phase that I'm unaware of.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The alternative would be to use MB f3 like you did in the stage combo video, but that would be burning a lot of meter for not a lot of reward... guess it's just gimmicky at best, unless there is a way to get more damage out of each phase that I'm unaware of.
Not a lot of reward? It's a free combo.

StevoSuprem0

Not a lot of reward? It's a free combo.
I'm talking about simply looping it. Going into a combo off of it is certainly worth it.
It wouldn't even loop well anyway because it's not staying in the same place like the crossup j3 does. Just throwing ideas out there.

StevoSuprem0

TBH I'd take the combo damage and them throw them back in to loop it.
How are you thinking about getting on the other side of them to keep them in the same spot? Or do you just mean going into the BGB when you are off to one side of it and getting one more iteration before you pass through the stage area where you can do the BGB?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
How are you thinking about getting on the other side of them to keep them in the same spot? Or do you just mean going into the BGB when you are off to one side of it and getting one more iteration before you pass through the stage area where you can do the BGB?
dash under after b3 or do the j2 as theyre falling so you cross them within the combo, i was going to find tech with that shit but i forgot about it.

StevoSuprem0

dash under after b3 or do the j2 as theyre falling so you cross them within the combo, i was going to find tech with that shit but i forgot about it.
I thought of that, but you can't do b3 following the MB f3, right? Doesn't it just hit them across the screen but not perform the wall bounce?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I thought of that, but you can't do b3 following the MB f3, right? Doesn't it just hit them across the screen but not perform the wall bounce?
Oh, after a current bounce you can't but if you did mb f3 with teeth that means you already got a juicy combo into another one so it's about 75% worth of damage.

StevoSuprem0

Oh, after a current bounce you can't but if you did mb f3 with teeth that means you already got a juicy combo into another one so it's about 75% worth of damage.
Yeah, just trying to think of a way to loop it with mb f3, but I don't think it's worth it. Better off sticking to the 75% or so that you get from two meaty combos.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Also joker is one of the few characters who cannot connect a b3 after a f3. I've tried this with most of the characters for corner mixup unclashable damage level transitions. Frost can't either

StevoSuprem0

Sorry rehti, Jaxel started packing up before I was able to get on stream. I'm gonna try to record some offline casuals maybe tomorrow. Anything I can get, I will post!

Fromundaman

I write too much.
On a completely different note, has anyone been messing with stage shenanigans?

As of right now I'd say our best stages are batcave (Both versions are awesome) and Themyscara (top half).
If you can get to a Lion head before your opponent can destroy them, oh god can you do some dirty shit on Themyscara.
Hell, if you're near the lion, doing something like B3>teeth>interactible or MB RLG>teeth>interactible is a guaranteed reset, and this combos us straight to the BGB for another reset. This is actually one of the only times I will use a bounce cancel if necessary, because getting a B3 right next to a lion means a full health bar is gone and is worth any amount of meter you throw at it.
The lions also give great stage control.