What's new

Question - War God Why is War God so good?

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
For the record Kotal does very well in the cage matchup. It's most likely even but I wouldn't be surprised if he won by the end of the game if the balance is the same. If you want to make Kotal cry play Tanya, Quan, or Lao (to name a few).
"PL is free" Pnut 2015

Error404

Noob
thing is, war god is gimmicky.

the other 2 are much more solid, and blood god for instace controls the pace of the game. Sungod has almost free 20% tick grabs
You can't say that War God is gimmicky , but Sun God gets free grabs. If you don't make the right read and your opponent takes the hit he gets his absolute max damage , since grab on whiff recovers in about 2 hours.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I like all Kotals 3 variation or all viable to unique purposes
Agreed. I feel like he's very unique. He's like a Tekken character from a technical standpoint.

Everyone used to think he was hard to play, but once they realized they needed the pad or stick to go neutral between some parts, execution became more inclusive.

War God has an answer for everything. He's not brain-dead or in any way overpowered, but there is no figuring out a great War God. You've just got to keep thinking and keep evolving.

Sun and Blood God are a lot of fun to play, but they can be zoned out. Couple the right character with the right strategy and you can beat these variations consistently - even if the player is great - pretty much on auto-pilot. Once you figure out what to do, there is really nothing SG or BG can do to get through.

SG and BG are like GM - great counter-picks, but you can't match-up well enough with every character with them to just pick them as mains and win tournaments. They're best used as pocket characters in tournaments.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
You can't say that War God is gimmicky , but Sun God gets free grabs. If you don't make the right read and your opponent takes the hit he gets his absolute max damage , since grab on whiff recovers in about 2 hours.
i said almost for a reason, you hardly whiff a grab in a match, if it whiffs it's because i let go block where i shouldnt. and it's not really about reads cause you have 6f pokes and 9f mids to be respected.

A half screen armored launcher is gimmicky ... ok
ok, maybe gimmicky is too much now that i think of it, but i dont think he's solid like the other 2 var.

E

Eldriken

ok, maybe gimmicky is too much now that i think of it, but i dont think he's solid like the other 2 var.
I beg to differ. I think that all of his variations are very solid. All three of them compliment Kotal as a whole.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying you ARE wrong. Just that I have a different opinion than you. :D

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
I beg to differ. I think that all of his variations are very solid. All three of them compliment Kotal as a whole.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying you ARE wrong. Just that I have a different opinion than you. :D
it's fine, i say this because ppl usually rely on b1exOH or b14exOH.

i play lao so i chill against war god, i dont against grabs mindgames and blood god boss battles lol

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
I used to main alist johnny so i know a few things about how to deal with this guy.I believe you can armor out of 114xxair grab whiff, b1. And a lot of his mixups are armor able.His mix ups can't be punished by f3 i believe, sadly.But you can actually d4 his b1 i think.His mixups aren't punishable (i think) because of the pushback....I've tried with f3.I think you just have to try and low profile his d4 and go for pressure and try to frustrate him with throws and f3.Especially s1 and 11 stagger in to throw.
Thats all i know about this MU!
Hope it helped!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Kotal is a character that tests his opponents reactions, predicting skills as well as how well you're used to punish the things he do.

A good piece of advice to anyone wanting to beat Kotal in neutral, head to training mode and tries to interrupt his advancing normals with your best normals..
2. explore all possible gaps on war god mixups and learn your best options for it, specially if you backdash it.
3.You can surely backdash his OH/Low mixup in wargod, it doesn't mean you should try to do it all the time, block punishing and armoring through the gaps can be a better choice in some stances. except of course if you're playing scorpion, you really have to backdash mostly everything.

I play Hat Trick and Ninjutsu Scorpion in this MU, Lao has a slower walkspeed, so either i stand my ground, or i jump backwards on correct distances when i predict a charge in, other than that, F2 is only -1 and helps Lao a lot to build up a counter or offense based on it.

With scorpion the neutral is much easier to control due the teleport-cancel and he actually has some good buttons to keep kotal in check with his offence in mostly any range.