What's new

To the pros that remember their learning process of UMK3.

I have only been playing this game steady for a few months now, and my skills progressed daily until about the last month. Its like i hit a brick wall, and am actually getting worse. I dont waste a lot of time fighting scrubs, I try and find the ppl who manhandle me. Plus I dont use a mic so my focus is 100% on the game.

Does it one day just click, and you start gaining skill again? Theres people out there who pretty well read my mind and counter everything I do, and it makes me feel like a dumbass for wasting their time. Ppl like Crazy Dom, AI Armageddon, Annihilator etc just to name a few. (you guys rock)

I know it takes more than a few months to kick it with the pros, but I should be getting better not worse. Maybe its because I only use Sub-Zero, and should probably be mixing it up, or learning a non-low tier first. But Sub-Zero is THE man.

Re: To the pros that remember their learning process of UMK3

DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
I know it takes more than a few months to kick it with the pros, but I should be getting better not worse. Maybe its because I only use Sub-Zero, and should probably be mixing it up, or learning a non-low tier first. But Sub-Zero is THE man.
u answered ur own question there. u have to realize its all about the mind gamez. mix it up.

killabitz said:
DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
u answered ur own question there. u have to realize its all about the mind gamez. mix it up.
Oh sorry I know that, I meant mixing it up as in the characters I play rather than selecting the same fighter over and over. Sub seems to be the only character that interests me.

As for my Sub-Zero play, I think my mixing up his moves is coming along, but I seem to be getting more sloppy and taking more risks that leave me open to combos etc. Even though I know this is my problem, I still continue to get more and more sloppy and continue to do stupid shit like freeze myself and lose the match because of it... I NEVER used to freeze myself, but now it's a daily thing.

But as for MOST people on xbox live, I can keep control of the fight and/or give them a good game. But fighting the pros I am worse at it now than I was a month ago.

DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
Oh sorry I know that, I meant mixing it up as in the characters I play rather than selecting the same fighter over and over. Sub seems to be the only character that interests me.
again u answered ur own question

DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
As for my Sub-Zero play, I think my mixing up his moves is coming along, but I seem to be getting more sloppy and taking more risks that leave me open to combos etc. Even though I know this is my problem, I still continue to get more and more sloppy and continue to do stupid shit like freeze myself and lose the match because of it... I NEVER used to freeze myself, but now it's a daily thing.
execution is #1, how do you expect to beat a vet if ur character is not doing what you want it to? practice.

killabitz said:
DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
again u answered ur own question

DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
execution is #1, how do you expect to beat a vet if ur character is not doing what you want it to? practice.
Either my english is bad (very possible) or you aren't reading it right. Let me try this in simplistic form.

I Dragon_Force have hit a brick wall in the learning process of UMK3. No matter how much I practice I go backwards more than forwards. Is this a normal phase of the learning process that will eventually pass, or have I reached my peak skill rating of super-scrub? It's been more than a month of this now and I am starting to get worried. Thanks.

You have to play other characters, just to get away from one method of playing. New characters open up new pathways of fighting. Plus, and I think its a big one, when you learn a new character and how to play them it will help you relize how your oponent plays that character. And in turn you can counter that characters natural play style.

If your not mixing it up, thats your biggest problem. You gotta try new things to keep learning, also remember that some people are just better than you too... someone has gotta be the best

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You should play every now and then with low tier characters and try to get down beating people using only basic moves, no specials, all tactics for the specific character ranges and strengths, and also just try to play without blocking every now and then to get your manuverability down, for instance running under certain attacks and sweeping. Once you get this down you can incorporate back the specials and the tactics that revolve around them for those characters. I will be getting my stick back soon so I'll be on more and be able to get matches in with everyone.

Pipa-Boy said:
random select
Bingo. Try. New. People.

We havn't played in a while so I cant say, but you should never stick with 1 main for your whole Game. You need to mix it up. You can get lucky and win a match with sub, but then what? Some examples.

My mains are Reptile, H smoke, Sub, and Kitana.

Annihilator's mains are R Smoke, Sub, and Recently, Kabal

AI's Mains are H Smoke, C Sub, and Kabal

ect, ect. You need to be good with more characters. Random select more, and see who you want. I recently found out, I dont Suck Ass with Nightwolf because I picked him up and tried to play. You gotta do that. Maybe you Kick ass with Kano and you have no idea.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Yep. You'll be able to play against all characters better if you know how to play as all characters better.

Developing a plan and style for a character is just as important as trying each one to see which ones you like the best. For example, as mSub, don't just be defensive and predictable with your silly little ice puddles. When the opponent thinks you'll just make another puddle, rush towards your opponent and deal out a big combo by surprise. Mix it up in your play, not just in your capabilities.

(PS: I have never faced you before, but regardless of your skill level, unpredictability can always help you at certain times, so don't take me as a critic, but as someone who is helping you, like the other people in this topic.)

Play people that are better than you and try to pick up on their tactics. I hit the same plateau until I had some playtime with Konqrr, Shock and Crazy Dominican as well as Thrower and Moe30w. If it wasn't for them and their time, I don't think I would be as good as I am today.

Looking back at some of the earlier videos of Shock, konqrr and myself, I can't stop laughing at how bad I was back then compared to how I play now. I couldn't even do runjabs back then.

Oh yeah and try to pick up on more characters like the others have said. I used to play exclusively as SubZero as well, but I discovered that other characters suited to my play style as well and I incorporated them into my mains.

I've read every response to this thread, and it's all very good info. It's exactly what I needed to hear. To anyone that reads this, if you see me playing odd or random selecting, it's not because I think im a master or showing off. :p

I'll give random select a shot and try and pick up a few mains from it. Are there any other defensive fighters other than Sub?

Thanks.

edit: oh and im printing EVERY character guide from this site as we speak. -_-

Ugh, defensive characters. I've always been an offensive player, so I know which ones are defensive and which ones aren't. You'll probably like Nightwolf, Sonya, Sindel, and Robot Smoke, from what I know. They're all ultra-defensive characters.

DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
I've read every response to this thread, and it's all very good info. It's exactly what I needed to hear. To anyone that reads this, if you see me playing odd or random selecting, it's not because I think im a master or showing off. :p

I'll give random select a shot and try and pick up a few mains from it. Are there any other defensive fighters other than Sub?

Thanks.

Defensive. Hmm....

Kabal, Reptile, Sindel, R Smoke, Sonya, and Cyrax.

abc ur dead0 said:
DRAG0N_F0RCE said:

Thanks.

Defensive. Hmm....

And this is why I always lose our Rep vs Rep matches. I play him (and every character) offensive and you play good defensive. Hence why I lose so much :lol:

Rockzilla220 said:
abc ur dead0 said:
DRAG0N_F0RCE said:

Thanks.

Defensive. Hmm....

And this is why I always lose our Rep vs Rep matches. I play him (and every character) offensive and you play good defensive. Hence why I lose so much :lol:
Exactly. I do Play Defensive. I jump in though for offense. Reptile is such a good offensive beat because

1. Male Ninja aaRH
2. Forceball Spamage
3. Invisibility + Staying Hidden = Winning Games in Danger
4. The Dash Suprises People on the cross up all the time.

He's Great If Played Correctly.

Which I don't do exactly. I always play offensive because I learned that first. All my first matches were "if you keep pressure then you'll win" so I continue that till now.

Rockzilla220 said:
Which I don't do exactly. I always play offensive because I learned that first. All my first matches were "if you keep pressure then you'll win" so I continue that till now.
And that works, With some people. Kabal or H smoke or Nightwolf for example. Its all about how you play, and who your using.

Just wanted to say, I think there are a lot of people who at one point hit a brick wall. When I did, I learned new characters(Kabal, C Sub) and got away from my constant human smoke business. I also learned juggle tricks like jab canceling and buffering specials. Learn some new characters, practice a few juggles, and you'll notice how much you change.

Well I played as different characters today, and I must admit I had more fun. I think Sektor is going to be my new digital best friend. He kind of reminds me of Sub because the homing missles kinda confuse people into opening themselves up for big damage. Although I seem to be having a hard time getting his roundhouse to connect after a teleuppercut against some fighters.