What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
fair enough. But I must say I agree with joker in that dash isn't a poke because of the things he said. Crazy punishable, pushback off of some pokes on block make dash more than 6 frames. Plus have you ever tried to duck block a poke, stand up and input dash fast enough for it to connect? Tough.
its not tough if you're literally inputing bf or dbf after every blocked move.

I've started doing this with other things.... it really does help.
I wasn't meaning to literally use Dash as a poke.... rather....as the ONLY counter poke you use. People WILL poke at you, it just made sense to me to punish them on block.

In any case. i'm more interested in how the MU's go. My meta game won't ever be the same as someone elses.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
and they'll still get punished for it
thats my point. 2 frame window is still a doable window.

CLEARLY i'm not going to 100% punish every poke i block..... duh

I'm also not saying "herp derp, replace d1 with ED"

To me... a top player would make every opponent FEAR using pokes because thats 11% + 2% chip or reptile dashing around like a nutcase.

I don't think i've even USED d3 or d1 with Reptile ever. Just d4 to start stuff... and Dash to punish counterpokes.
Maybe I am wrong. :(

Like I said... i'm just trying to hash out this mindset I have while I use him.
take it from players that have mained reptile siince day one.. youre not going to be punishing d3s with dash... might do it a some times but guarantee wont do it consistently

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
take it from players that have mained reptile siince day one.. youre not going to be punishing d3s with dash... might do it a some times but guarantee wont do it consistently
In the grand scheme of things..... it wouldn't matter... because some characters have to use d3 and d1 no matter what.... so yeah.

I've moved on.

b1ggle

Noob
guys i need ur help with kitana MU
i'm playing with some guy and he's destroying me every time (unfortunately i doesn't have a video)
when we're on full screen he endures all my projectiles and trying to come close, this part is easy for me
but when he's close enough to f21 or d1 he's destroying me
what should i pay attention for in this matchup? any advises?

guys i need ur help with kitana MU
i'm playing with some guy and he's destroying me every time (unfortunately i doesn't have a video)
when we're on full screen he endures all my projectiles and trying to come close, this part is easy for me
but when he's close enough to f21 or d1 he's destroying me
what should i pay attention for in this matchup? any advises?
Tip #1 don't let him get a fan on screen. After she gets huckong fans its tough to knock.her down with using meter in my experience.

Tip #1 don't let him get a fan on screen. After she gets huckong fans its tough to knock.her down with using meter in my experience.
b1ggle
If she's IAF happy, keep her grounded with a spit, forceball followup.
2 things generally happen after this: Ass out, or block.
Sometimes she goes for another iaf and gets hit like a dumbass(unlikely though haha)

Okay who wants to talk about the Shang matchup? I know nothing of this battle.

Also, for some reason I'm a fucking free body when it comes to sheeva and jade lmao. Wtf is up with that?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Lol according to everyone that seems to be the solution.
But really why am i free
Shang isn't an easy MU, it's hard to trade projectiles and he can rush you down for free. It seems like the whole match revolves around you guessing whether or not he is going to block dash after a ground skull or just f4 again. If you are losing to Sheeva and Jade though the best advice I could give is just play solid. There isn't any need to do resets or invisibility or anything like the on these characters. Just play good ole Reptile and you will prevail. Also, if Sheeva telestomps hit you playing Reptile, unless you are in the corner where it can get kind of tricky, then I agree you are free.

Shang isn't an easy MU, it's hard to trade projectiles and he can rush you down for free. It seems like the whole match revolves around you guessing whether or not he is going to block dash after a ground skull or just f4 again. If you are losing to Sheeva and Jade though the best advice I could give is just play solid. There isn't any need to do resets or invisibility or anything like the on these characters. Just play good ole Reptile and you will prevail. Also, if Sheeva telestomps hit you playing Reptile, unless you are in the corner where it can get kind of tricky, then I agree you are free.
Lol no its not the tele stomp that gets me, i feel I need to be in the bitches face in the game, but i always get lost in her 212b1 grab pressure lol or whatever string.
Idk why with jade. There's no real game plan against her, every match is different

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Lol no its not the tele stomp that gets me, i feel I need to be in the bitches face in the game, but i always get lost in her 212b1 grab pressure lol or whatever string.
Idk why with jade. There's no real game plan against her, every match is different
Just duck that grab pressure, otherwise you will be eating chip all day because it's like +12 on block or something like that. For Jade you really don't have to stray far from day 1 Reptile to beat her ass.

Just duck that grab pressure, otherwise you will be eating chip all day because it's like +12 on block or something like that. For Jade you really don't have to stray far from day 1 Reptile to beat her ass.
Haha wow no wonder i lose free then :/
I can see myself over evaluation jade matches I'll stay keeping it simple

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Updating my MU chart for Reptile:

Sheeva: 7-3
Baraka: 7-3
Stryker: 7-3
Cyber Sub: 6-4
Ermac: 6-4
Jade: 6-4
Raiden: 6-4
Sindel: 6-4
Kano: 6-4
Quan Chi: 6-4
Scorpion: 6-4
Jax: 5-5
Kitana: 5-5
Nightwolf: 5-5
Noob: 5-5
Rain: 5-5
Sub Zero: 5-5
Mileena: 5-5 (I know this MU like the back of my hand, and I truly have no issues with any Mileena's except Sonic Fox and Pig)
Sektor: 5-5
Smoke: 5-5
Cage: 4-6 (I hate this MU more and more every day)
Freddy: 4-6 (I finally came to my senses on this one)
Kabal: 4-6
Kenshi: 4-6
Liu Kang: 4-6
Shang Tsung: 4-6
Skarlet: 4-6
Kung Lao: 4-6
Cyrax: 3-7
Sonya: 3-7

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Joker8417 fucking cyrax and Sonya.
What were your major changes in this new chart?
The major one was I think Shang is 4-6 now. After discussing it with Cowboy (which during after said discussion I felt like I was ok with calling it 5-5) and thinking it over I just feel like overall when the only positive aspect of the match is that if you guess right with a dash out of pressure, I'm not so sure anymore. I'm still really on the fence about that though and would really like to get more sets in with WoundCowboy to just try and tweak my game for that particular MU. He is going to laugh at me for this post I know it but he just bodied me every time we got casuals in. I don't think I took a game off of him.

The rest were a couple of 5-5's I changed to 6-4's. (Quan Chi, Kano and I think I changed Sindel) After FR weekend I truly feel Mileena is completely 5-5 after getting a good set in with Pig Of The Hut and discussing it with him.

The major one was I think Shang is 4-6 now. After discussing it with Cowboy (which during after said discussion I felt like I was ok with calling it 5-5) and thinking it over I just feel like overall when the only positive aspect of the match is that if you guess right with a dash out of pressure, I'm not so sure anymore. I'm still really on the fence about that though and would really like to get more sets in with WoundCowboy to just try and tweak my game for that particular MU. He is going to laugh at me for this post I know it but he just bodied me every time we got casuals in. I don't think I took a game off of him.

The rest were a couple of 5-5's I changed to 6-4's. (Quan Chi, Kano and I think I changed Sindel) After FR weekend I truly feel Mileena is completely 5-5 after getting a good set in with Pig Of The Hut and discussing it with him.
I can see Mileena being 5-5 finally. I used to just freeze against her but now I'm a lot more comfortable in the MU. I can't really speak on the shang MU cause I'm not familiar at all with it though.