What's new

Match Footage Raven Video Thread

I managed to record some matches I had from my first online session. My combos weren't always coming out. I still don't get the MB thing. Even when I hold the button down, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. (I wish it was still like MK's EX moves)

Anyway, this is just to give you all an idea of how my Raven looks right now. Feel free to explain some things I can work on, or stuff I may not have known about matchup wise.

Raven vs Ares

Raven vs Harley

Raven vs Batman (lost a couple here that look embarassing, lol.)

Raven vs Superman (Same player as Batman. I kept trying to MB B3 out of the wakeup overhead, but....)

Raven vs Raven (I'm the 2P side. The other guy uses the teen titans alt. Raven mirrors are soooo lame, lol.)

Oh and I'm not new to competitive fighting games. I played MK9 and still play SCV in tournaments so don't worry about having to completely start from scratch to help me.

Wawa

Noob
Here's a few more matches that had "Salty Endings". :)

Match 1: V Green Arrow
Match 2: V Deathstroke
Match 3: V Raven

The matches themselves aren't that interesting except for the last one. It's the salt that counts.

Keeping their head down and not drawing attention to the character if they have any sense ;)
Yeah well I'm not trying to get caught up in the TYM drama. Let the "top players" and "nut riders" stroke their own egos without me.

I was actually lookin for some real feedback on my progress. Ah well.

Sami

Noob
I'll be forum whoring properly tomorrow and give you some tips. Not had the time to watch the videos yet (no time to even play the game). Not considering myself a top player by any means, but I am a match-up nerd :p

I'll be forum whoring properly tomorrow and give you some tips. Not had the time to watch the videos yet (no time to even play the game). Not considering myself a top player by any means, but I am a match-up nerd :p
Cool. Any knowledge you can drop is fine.

Sami

Noob
Cool. Any knowledge you can drop is fine.
Fuck it, I've got 10 mins spare so I watched the first vid. Going to post "how to improve" comments rather than general praise. If I don't mention it, it was probably okay :)

vs Ares video:

• Learn the interactables. Each time you got smashed by them I saw it coming a mile off :). Under_The_Mayo has made a good generic video on how to avoid them if you can find it.
  • Ares' overhead smash thing is unblockable so you always either need to jump it or back-dash (pretty sure back-dash works). It has a massive recovery time (and you can see it coming a mile off), so jumping it should give you a free kick into combo. Seems like you got the hang of this towards the end but still occasionally tried to block it.
  • Noticed you dropped pretty much every 223 combo. While 223~special will cause the special to wiff (opponent is too high in the air), you can input the special after 3 has completed and it will still catch the opponent. 223, wait, db2 will catch the opponent with Singularity on their way down, which you can then of course MB for a bounce into full combo. Practice it in training mode until you get the timings down as if you do it too late Singularity will come out after the opponent has crashed to the ground.
  • Regular Soul Crush does more damage than MB Soul Crush (8.65% vs 7.7%), so if there's no chance of a follow-up combo and you don't want to get closer/further away, don't bother wasting meter on it. In addition, regular SC prevents tech-rolls while MB allows it.
  • The most reliable teleport punish you have is D1~special. Raven has a lovely 6 frame d1, so unless you're caught just as you start doing a different move, chances are d1~special should beat random teleports even online. If you're feeling slightly riskier then 11b2 is not only safe on block but gives you enough time to hit confirm to input a special after the b2. However, the first hit can be ducked if he recovers quick enough. The string has a start-up of 7 frames, but can be crouch-poked. The second 1 hits mid so if he fails to react then he'll be in block stun and you'll be left at -2 when the string finishes (so long as you didn't input a special!). I would have suggested 11f2 (it's 0 on block rather than -2) but you have a much smaller window to hit-confirm into a special than 11b2 and the f2 hits high, so if he's crouch blocking then he can poke out of it.
  • d2 massively reduces the follow-up combo damage, so while it is a quick launcher you'll be doing a third less damage on all of your follow-up hits (not accounting for even further combo scaling). In addition, d2 is very hard to combo off without MBing a special. A simple reliable combo is d2, ji2, 11f2~df2. Gives you 19% (not great), but better than 5% from a plain d2. There is a 22% combo in the combo thread, but I wouldn't even consider trying it online.
Will try and watch the others tomorrow :)

Noticed you dropped pretty much every 223 combo. While 223~special will cause the special to wiff (opponent is too high in the air), you can input the special after 3 has completed and it will still catch the opponent. 223, wait, db2 will catch the opponent with Singularity on their way down, which you can then of course MB for a bounce into full combo. Practice it in training mode until you get the timings down as if you do it too late Singularity will come out after the opponent has crashed to the ground.
  • Regular Soul Crush does more damage than MB Soul Crush (8.65% vs 7.7%), so if there's no chance of a follow-up combo and you don't want to get closer/further away, don't bother wasting meter on it. In addition, regular SC prevents tech-rolls while MB allows it.
Thanks.
- Didn't even consider backdashing interactables. I knew about MB armor dash cancelling but never reacted in time.
- Good points on not using MB Soul Crush. Will keep this in mind
- Not even sure how best to combo off far range MB Soul Crush, so I was probably using it to test MB consistency (see below)
- As for 223 and other MB singularity combos you're bound to see, I cannot understand why MB Singularity doesn't always come out. It is beyond frustrating why this is so inconsistent. I can get MB Singularity 100% of the time by itself, but for some reason after certain combos like 223>F222xxdb2 I swear it's like random. I hold the button down and everything. (I never had any issues with inputs like this with MK9, lol.)

And thanks for the overall Ares tips, because yeah that's the first one I ever fought, online or offline.

Sami

Noob
Thanks.
- Didn't even consider backdashing interactables. I knew about MB armor dash cancelling but never reacted in time.
- Good points on not using MB Soul Crush. Will keep this in mind
- Not even sure how best to combo off far range MB Soul Crush, so I was probably using it to test MB consistency (see below)
- As for 223 and other MB singularity combos you're bound to see, I cannot understand why MB Singularity doesn't always come out. It is beyond frustrating why this is so inconsistent. I can get MB Singularity 100% of the time by itself, but for some reason after certain combos like 223>F222xxdb2 I swear it's like random. I hold the button down and everything. (I never had any issues with inputs like this with MK9, lol.)

And thanks for the overall Ares tips, because yeah that's the first one I ever fought, online or offline.
You press the MB button once the grab has connected. Holding it down before the move comes out (such as doing f222~db2 MB before the db2 hits) will pretty much 100% reliably cause it not to come out. Unlike in other fighting games (including MK) where the meter-version of a move is decided when the move is executed, in Injustice the move is modified by the MB button after the move has started.

Input 223, f222~db2 and hold off pressing MB until you see them lifted up by the db2. I guarantee you that the MB will work 100% of the time unless playing with a ping of a million. This system also prevents you from wasting a bar of meter on a move that didn't hit. You can never MB a Soul Crush/Singularity/any other of Raven's moves unless they've actually hit the opponent, and you can't load up the MB input early in the string expecting the game to use it if the move hits. The move has to have actually hit first before the MB button is pressed :)

edit: as for comboing off a long-range Soul Crush: pretty sure the only way is in Demon Stance with pillars or grab. In normal stance I believe you can follow-up a MB Soul Crush with a regular Soul Crush for some extra damage. Mid-screen MB Soul Crush is usually followed by a jump-in kick and f2222222etc

You press the MB button once the grab has connected. Holding it down before the move comes out (such as doing f222~db2 MB before the db2 hits) will pretty much 100% reliably cause it not to come out. Unlike in other fighting games (including MK) where the meter-version of a move is decided when the move is executed, in Injustice the move is modified by the MB button after the move has started.
I usually start holding the MB button down after the move starts, either that or I tap it quickly a couple times before holding it. (the 2nd way works more reliably but still not 100%) The weird thing is, I have no issue with it if I only hit them a few times before db2. Like if I do, F22U1, D1xxDB2, I always get the MB version. But longer combos before the first DB2 attempt, usually makes it whack out on me.

I'll try delaying the hold a little longer like you mentioned and see if that helps. I honestly thought it was my pad, but it's perfectly fine for other games.

Sami

Noob
ZeroEffect new stuff:

vs Harley: The Harley player hardly seemed to block low, so up close you could either b3 more or f12~special. After a few b3s you'll probably encourage them to block down more often which will set you up for overheads (jump-in kicks, f3, f2233). Also, no need for demon stance in that match as you already had Harley locked down with Soul Crush. If you don't know the range of the pillars, don't use them ;)

vs Batman: Learn the animation of his overhead :D. Other than that, the matches were okay. Overhead destroyed you and initially the full screen grappling hook was as well, but you dealt with that by the end. Remember that you have two throws and unlike MK teching throws doesn't take into account their direction, so if you want to throw him in the corner don't worry about him reading it and teching it "correctly". A few times you could've kept him cornered with the throw (he seemed rather free to them). Loved the transition combo in the final match and the pillar pressure. I won't mention the two super moves...

vs Superman: Much better. Risky demon stance at the end (I would've just kept chipping in normal form). Lasers can be jumped at full screen into demon stance (get used to it in practice mode), which then gives you the tools to completely shut down his full screen laser game with full screen pillar and behind teleport. You can get 22% off the MB pillar just by following it up with another pillar, or can catch them with Event Horizon afterwards for 24% (or MB that to extend the combo). Chaining MB pillar to pillar is difficult at mid-screen as they're bounced back so you need to guage whether or not you need to change pillar. At full screen it's just "df1u MB df1u"

Wawa nice videos. Oh god the salt on the final Raven video :D

Also, no need for demon stance in that match as you already had Harley locked down with Soul Crush. If you don't know the range of the pillars, don't use them ;)
Yeah, the pillars are one of the main things I mess around with in practice mode. Just to get familiar with where they hit from where Raven's standing.

vs Batman: Remember that you have two throws and unlike MK teching throws doesn't take into account their direction, so if you want to throw him in the corner don't worry about him reading it and teching it "correctly". Loved the transition combo in the final match and the pillar pressure.
Hmm, ok. I didn't know about the throw breaking thing. I just always did forward throws as a habit from MK9. (Mileena's gave her a roll set up, and most people broke reverse throws). As for the overhead, I wasn't so much ducking into it as I was trying to either push block/wakeup attack/armor B3/ or I just underestimated it's range and low crush ability, lol.

I won't mention the two super moves...
You are a kind man.

vs Superman:Risky demon stance at the end (I would've just kept chipping in normal form). Lasers can be jumped at full screen into demon stance (get used to it in practice mode), which then gives you the tools to completely shut down his full screen laser game with full screen pillar and behind teleport.
Outside of b23, I'm still trying out different times to use her trait. But you're right, I should've just kept Soul Crushing him to death. I also found her portal works there since you can kind of react to superman's jump for the air laser. Most of the time portal as a projectile counter is pretty lame since you can't react with it.

Thanks again for the input.

CitizenCIA

Awwwh damn.

Here is me vs one of the best players in the country, EMP KDZ at Fenway Fight Series last week. As you can see, I got blown up.

I started out playing Raven when the game first dropped, and dropped her about 2 weeks in for Catwoman, but recently, like 3 days before this tournament, decided to go back to Raven just because I enjoy playing her more.

KDZ just overwhelmed me. Found it really hard to do anything against him. But what do you guys do against Supermans with this kind of overwhelming pressure? I could use some help here. Ended up going 3-2 in the tournament if you guys care, also losing to Ectothermia's Aquaman offstream. (He recently got 7th or 5th at GUTS 2)

Lol why didn't you tell me you were making a raven guide, it would have been a lot easier showing my friend your guide then showcasing how dark raven can react to certain options compared to regular raven in mid match. He thought dark raven was useless in a g.l raven match...(fail) And you described her lockdown techniques well in the video. Very in depth and impressive guide. will revisit the match with you some other time, and glad to hear j oa rocket is a safe way out of counter. Maybe now my friend won't complain so much when he plays me offline. He hates the resets and tech roll baiting. You just proved she has options so thanks "chemical_violence lol. And i still don't buy the 6/4raven

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Lol why didn't you tell me you were making a raven guide, it would have been a lot easier showing my friend your guide then showcasing how dark raven can react to certain options compared to regular raven in mid match. He thought dark raven was useless in a g.l raven match...(fail) And you described her lockdown techniques well in the video. Very in depth and impressive guide. will revisit the match with you some other time, and glad to hear j oa rocket is a safe way out of counter. Maybe now my friend won't complain so much when he plays me offline. He hates the resets and tech roll baiting. You just proved she has options so thanks "chemical_violence lol. And i still don't buy the 6/4raven
I don't know I was making this till that night and yes j rocket avoids it but I don't have to reflect and if I reflect the air rocket it's either a 50/50 or unavoidable.

Its only a 50/50 at about 4-2.5raven spaces away unavoidable at about 2.4, and the only benefit is giving both players meter it should "not" zone the raven player, its only viability is to make her waste meter if she chooses to, or the real result get at least 1bar so that you can always punish raven trait with a mb oa for 17% this negates the entire Dark raven chip if you choose to just block and dash into soul crush range and stay there and crouch block. I am kind of indifferent to the numbers since I main both of them offline, I only just started the oa's after friend started checking with it, and I wanted to see how it worked if taken to the extreme. "Online more than it should" oh well I learned a lot for my offline raven so thanks. Still don't know how you use her in lag, couldn't even imagine it