What's new

How to BackDash through interactables - Audio cue tech

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I'm developing a theory for using your invincibility frames of your backdash to avoid thrown interactables. AUDIO CUES!

I've tested this on the BatSignal and AC Unit on Gotham, with particularly successful results on the BatSignal. The Moon on watchtower is giving me trouble. I've been able to backdash the batsignal 25 times in a row using this.

Here's how it works:

Time a B3 to an audio cue from the interactable, and immediately start backdash canceling. If it works, you've found the timing. If not, adjust your B3 time to before or after the audio cue. On a read, you can do this provided you know the relationship between audio cue, throw speed, and distance. Then you can start backdashing without the B3.

For the Batsignal, do the B3 immediately on the sound of them grabbing it in the air. From further distance, it's slightly after. Then you can learn how to just raw dash after learning the sound timing.

I've tested this with Sinestro, Catwoman, Joker, Batman, Flash, and Lex. The timing is NOT different for any of them.

The Globe on Atlantis is different!

Here, you're dashing on the audio cue, not to dash through it, but to throw off the tracking!

This is still in it's early stages, but I believe this theory can be applied to every thrown interactable if you put in the time to learn it. Once you understand the audio cue, you can start to learn it visually and dash on reflex by knowing the speed of the interactable.

Speaking of interactables, remember to check out my latest tech presentation "The Mad Science of Interactables" here - http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/the-mad-science-of-interactables-controlling-combo-carry-distance-for-interactable-spacing.33245

STORMS
GamerBlake90
Pig Of The Hut

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
We would need to test this with the whole cast. For instance, Doomsday can't, his backdash is pretty short and runs out of invincibility pretty quickly. I tested that both myself and against AI Doomsday.

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
Damn, I try not to rely on audio cues and more on visual cues in fighting games due to online but I my have to make an exception

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
We would need to test this with the whole cast. For instance, Doomsday can't, his backdash is pretty short and runs out of invincibility pretty quickly. I tested that both myself and against AI Doomsday.
I've tested this across many cast members and it works exactly the same for everyone so far. Audio cue, dash, avoid.

Crathen

Death is my business
I've given up playing by audio cues , thing is if you're going to a tournament you'll never be able to always play with headphones on and tournament guys are pretty loud , but nice video nonetheless

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I've given up playing by audio cues , thing is if you're going to a tournament you'll never be able to always play with headphones on and tournament guys are pretty loud , but nice video nonetheless
Audio cues are just the beginning, to learn the speed of this stuff. Like starting with B3. And then moving to dash. And then eventually dashing on reflex.

Crathen

Death is my business
Audio cues are just the beginning, to learn the speed of this stuff. Like starting with B3. And then moving to dash. And then eventually dashing on reflex.
It is a starting point for sure , i'm already backdashing certain interactables but the best thing would be able to still punish them wheter it's by MBDC , dashing forward/under or backdashing and using a long range move / projectile the problem is that not every interactable has that much recovery and it's pretty much character / stage dependent.

Interesting topic , i might make some videos about punishing interactables without using MBDC.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
This. This stage is total BS (Metropolis Rooftop) and I am salty about it after UFGT.
I couldn`t test it alone because the AI record doesn`t work with respawning interactables. But I will test it tonight.

I even backdashed the Wayne`s Manor car 3 times in a row today! Though it`s very very strict and totally impractical. Nerf that shit.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Definetly something to practice. Especially in tournaments when most the time its hard to hear game sounds clearly. You would have to backdash on a rythym so to speak, instead of using the sounds

davidovitch

In Europe!
Im a bit confused. This is not about using the backdash invincibility frames, but rather just about back-dashing out of the range of the interactible, yes (by timing it perfectly)?

Don't some interactibles have such big hit-boxes that dashing would not put you far enough away?

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
@Under_The_Mayo

good stuff homie

Can you test this on Rooftop Metrop please... I m curious about the floating robots...

They are easy to dash away from at times but the explosion (ricochet) is too large to escape (which is why alot of ppl say it should be a banned stage).. I dont think it should be banned but I do think the after explosion, again the ricochet, is just too much and should just be toned down a little because they are 99.99% un-avoidable then..

EDIT*** After writing what I wrote I noticed that above this post a few ppl already mentioned the explosion of the bots on "Rooftop Metrop"

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
This. This stage is total BS (Metropolis Rooftop) and I am salty about it after UFGT.

Yea the more I play on that stage the more I feel like the ricochet or explosions just need to be toned down a little (just a little, people shouldnt feel like its a bad nerf or whatnot) Its just you can clearly jump over the object or dash past it but too bad the ricochet will get you...

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Im a bit confused. This is not about using the backdash invincibility frames, but rather just about back-dashing out of the range of the interactible, yes (by timing it perfectly)?

Don't some interactibles have such big hit-boxes that dashing would not put you far enough away?
No, the invincibilty frames are being used to avoid the Batsignal. You also use them to avoid the AC Unit. But on atlantis, you throw off the tracking so it doesn't hit you.