What's new

Strategy Now That's What I Call An Entrance -- Green Arrow General Discussion Thread

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I thought D1 was only like 8 frames of advantage and like -2 on block or something so it confused the hell outta me watching Flexcy getting arrow loads point blank all day on Maximillian so I had to check. For me its pretty much arrow load as a combo ender or after B23. I really wish I could load an arrow after a normal arrow though.

Check max's latest online warrior ep to see this as he loses pretty cleanly to it. I dont think he runs into many GA.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
I thought D1 was only like 8 frames of advantage and like -2 on block or something so it confused the hell outta me watching Flexcy getting arrow loads point blank all day on Maximillian so I had to check. For me its pretty much arrow load as a combo ender or after B23. I really wish I could load an arrow after a normal arrow though.

Check max's latest online warrior ep to see this as he loses pretty cleanly to it. I dont think he runs into many GA.
Yeah, I saw it. It's semi situational and depends on the match up. I cannot do it consistently against any one character's d1 and some d3 after my d1, load attempt.

shaowebb

How many frames is arrow load now? Over 12? 20's? Man I wish normal arrow did more than 3 frames of advantage on block.

Ryu Gosling

When's Mahvel?
I would like to know this too. And is there any reset besides the ice arrow that is 100% inescapable midscreen? My friend thinks he has a 116% reset on Hall Of Injustice, but I don't really play GA so I don't know. I don't him that invincibility frames on wake up attacks can escape it and a tech roll can escape his other one. I told him unless he could load two ice arrows in this combo then it wouldn't be escapable. Or else he would have to sacrifice his transition. Here are my two videos showing him they can be escaped since he uploaded his directly to facebook. You can get the gist of what he is going for by watching my videos though. Thanks in advance guys!

Hmm... These redacted videos confuse me.

shaowebb

Im noting that Chris G's main approach seems to be dash up D1 into ice arrow at this tourney. Maybe I rely too much on execution heavy F2D13 online...

Is freeze load super inescapable?
Yes it is guaranteed and inescapable, but the timing is super strict, you basically have to load the freeze arrow at the first frame possible. Heres a trick that I haven't seen many people do. After you land a freeze arrow, do a backdash and immediately hit the super. It's inescapable and that way you get the damage scaling reset. Right after the freeze an immediate backdash into super takes just the exact time you need to wait to hit them with the scale reset It's easier to do it this way as opposed to manually delaying the super or loading a freeze arrow then doing super. This works well off of d1-ice arrow, f2d1-ice arrow etc. Basically any string into ice arrow that doesn't leave you far from the opponent like f2d13-ice arrow or a naked freeze arrow from out of distance for the backdash.

Im noting that Chris G's main approach seems to be dash up D1 into ice arrow at this tourney. Maybe I rely too much on execution heavy F2D13 online...
Yea Chris G's main approach is the d1-ice arrow. He plays a rather limited Green Arrow but it works for him for multiple reasons. 1- His reactions are well above the average person, so he can play a reactionary bait and punish game extremely well 2- His defense is amazing, he can practiacally block and fuzzy guard almost anything, 3-People keep falling for it over and over again so why stop. My Green Arrow relys more on the f2d13 string too and less d1's. For punishing though d1 seems to be the most reliable at 7 frames and has better reach than his standing 1. Most of the time when I try to punish with standing 1's it whiffs. Green Arrow has t rex arms and the fact that lots of specials have pushback on block or are relatively safe makes it worse. People that don;t play him say man, why do Green Arrows abuse d1 so much. Well, it's one of his best normals LOL F2 is awesome but it's slow and punishable as hell on whiff.

shaowebb

Yea Chris G's main approach is the d1-ice arrow. He plays a rather limited Green Arrow but it works for him for multiple reasons. 1- His reactions are well above the average person, so he can play a reactionary bait and punish game extremely well 2- His defense is amazing, he can practiacally block and fuzzy guard almost anything, 3-People keep falling for it over and over again so why stop. My Green Arrow relys more on the f2d13 string too and less d1's. For punishing though d1 seems to be the most reliable at 7 frames and has better reach than his standing 1. Most of the time when I try to punish with standing 1's it whiffs. Green Arrow has t rex arms and the fact that lots of specials have pushback on block or are relatively safe makes it worse. People that don;t play him say man, why do Green Arrows abuse d1 so much. Well, it's one of his best normals LOL F2 is awesome but it's slow and punishable as hell on whiff.
Well said. Also of note is one of his favorite things is to poke low and if its blocked hit 4 ice arrow and jump and shoot it down. I've seen him use that on 4 seperate occasions as a back up with Ice Arrow loaded and it always gets a reaction from folks.

So far I think his hypest finish with Green Arrow was his first match vs Michealangelo where the two were BOTH at chip death and he loaded fire arrows to beat michealangelo to the punch.

Well said. Also of note is one of his favorite things is to poke low and if its blocked hit 4 ice arrow and jump and shoot it down. I've seen him use that on 4 seperate occasions as a back up with Ice Arrow loaded and it always gets a reaction from folks.

So far I think his hypest finish with Green Arrow was his first match vs Michealangelo where the two were BOTH at chip death and he loaded fire arrows to beat michealangelo to the punch.
Yea that was an awesome match.

shaowebb

Honestly we should GIF out some of Chris G's setups and approaches for the guide as a visual aid to approaching movement and footsies. Watching his Green Arrow move is one of the best things about his matches. Such amazing reactions to any movement. I swear when folks jump he almost instantly double dashes in on them once they start the animation. Crazy.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I was messing with interactable combos today. I don't see many people do them but I'm sure it's been messed with before. These 2 are very practical and add extra damage onto his bnb combos.They use the background bounce interactable.

d1 xx ice arrow, b3, j3, 3 xx 1+2, j2, 223. You can use j3 over jump 2 for a little more damage but it's harder to land the 223 after.

Also off of f2d13 ice arrow you can do the same followup as d1 ice arrow. For it to be more consistent I would either leave out the jump attack and just 223 or use j3 into d1 load.

TimTim

Don't Hate
Yes it is guaranteed and inescapable, but the timing is super strict, you basically have to load the freeze arrow at the first frame possible. Heres a trick that I haven't seen many people do. After you land a freeze arrow, do a backdash and immediately hit the super. It's inescapable and that way you get the damage scaling reset. Right after the freeze an immediate backdash into super takes just the exact time you need to wait to hit them with the scale reset It's easier to do it this way as opposed to manually delaying the super or loading a freeze arrow then doing super. This works well off of d1-ice arrow, f2d1-ice arrow etc. Basically any string into ice arrow that doesn't leave you far from the opponent like f2d13-ice arrow or a naked freeze arrow from out of distance for the backdash.
Are you sure it's one frame timing?
Even if we are off by a frame or two wouldn't that mean they only have 1 or 2 frames to backdash? Not sure how jump frames work in this game but the explosion hits 1/3 of the screen from bottom to top so that's at least 2 frames. Supes might have an easy escape but I think the timing isn't that incredible.

Then again back dash super is great too you're only losing about 3-5% from max damage without an ice arrow loaded so it's ok.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Are you sure it's one frame timing?
Even if we are off by a frame or two wouldn't that mean they only have 1 or 2 frames to backdash? Not sure how jump frames work in this game but the explosion hits 1/3 of the screen from bottom to top so that's at least 2 frames. Supes might have an easy escape but I think the timing isn't that incredible.

Then again back dash super is great too you're only losing about 3-5% from max damage without an ice arrow loaded so it's ok.
After landing a raw (reset) super without having an ice arrow loaded, you can always do: b3, dash, d2 xx db4, 11 xx d4 to freeze the opponent again. This often doesn't come up though, as you need to do the b3, b3/f3 for unclashable damage.

TimTim

Don't Hate
After landing a raw (reset) super without having an ice arrow loaded, you can always do: b3, dash, d2 xx db4, 11 xx d4 to freeze the opponent again. This often doesn't come up though, as you need to do the b3, b3/f3 for unclashable damage.
Yeah but you're losing damage at that point. I would have like to have an arrow preloaded because I think you can get 56 post super.

TimTim

Don't Hate
I hope people see the weaknesses of GA now:p
As much as I agree with this I am not smiling. I was rooting for Chris and I wish I was there at his side to coach him.
He needed to dash up before planes and he really needed to KEEP FUCKING ZONING. At the beginning of a round DJT just stood there and blocked. He literally did nothing to counter zone or avoid them. His mission was to just block.
When Chris started rushing he'd keep dashing into LM's for 30% it was retarded and painful to watch.
I am drowning in salt right now.

Anyway Gratz to KDZ he definitely deserved that over DJT his performance was impressive but he played so gimmicky and stupid.
Against Chris he would throw planes. He threw out random LM's that would hit because the others were impatient. He abused f3 (I respect that abuse though pretty good if the other person isn't competent enough to mb b3/f3)

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Chris couldn't have zoned forever. It wasn't that DJT didn't have an answer to the zoning that made him not do anything. He was just waiting for Chris to make a mistake so he could force lift him. You can't win a zoning war against Green Lantern When GA needs to load arrows for every 3rd projectile. This is my opinion of course, and I might be wrong.

TimTim

Don't Hate
Chris couldn't have zoned forever. It wasn't that DJT didn't have an answer to the zoning that made him not do anything. He was just waiting for Chris to make a mistake so he could force lift him. You can't win a zoning war against Green Lantern When GA needs to load arrows for every 3rd projectile. This is my opinion of course, and I might be wrong.
No definitely GL will 99.9% of the time outzone GA but DJT wasn't adapting very quickly he obviously doesn't have much experience against flame arrows he looked like braindead.
And he was waiting to LM ChrisG's dash ins but if Chris didn't dash in he could save him self 30 each time.
Also why on earth didn't he do a reset after freeze. If he just waited he would've waited he'd waste enough time (maybe even the 2 seconds that were left) he would've gotten unscaled damage that also could have gotten him a victory.

Could he not have interrupted the missile from the string? I feel like I have done that but I also didn't want to think that Chris G would have gone for it if it is possible.