What's new

My proposed Black Canary changes

nugava

Noob
You know what's really good about 112 beeing safe on block now ?
11 was not hit confirmable... 112 is easily hit confirmable... That's a great poke/counter poke (1 is her fastest move).

This is a weird thread. She got buffed more than anybody. And before we get to flesh her out, you want MORE? I'm frankly embarrassed by all the buffs she got (on paper). It sounds to me like you want something OP. You want her B1 to be faster? Shit. Why not ask for invincible cartwheels?

You keep saying 1121+3 will be worthless because you can duck it. Uhhhhh.... check the stats, sir. As it stands right now, it's a mid.

You think 2 should be used in cases where you use 33? I want you try something for me.....

Set the AI to Block Always and reversal to Backdash.
Do a 1 (one of the few buttons that BC is at advantage)
watch it get blocked
then press 21/23/2u3.
Watch in horror as the 21/23/2u3 whiffs and all your momentum is toast

Reset.

Press 1 and have it blocked.
Press 33.
Watch as you either connect with the 33 or it gets blocked (depending on the character's backdash).

Before, we were at -8 after 33. No mind games to speak of. They could (and did) backdash for free or punish the 33 unless we DB3 to keep it safe (and lose momentum). Frankly, we weren't even using 33 unless it was in combos.

Now imagine instead of getting punished, we can (GASP!) start some truly SAFE pressure strings. Idgaf if 33 is +1. We got a 7 frame d1 and a 6 frame 1. Those become 6 and 5 frame normals. You can't be interrupted. Once it's established that they shouldn't press buttons after 33, THEN we can use 21/23 mixup because we'll be right in their face after 33. We might be able to do cartwheel 50/50s between DF3MB and DF3d3. Oh. And DF3mb is +1 on block. On paper, the opponent can't escape. And that's if 33 is +1 on block.

Why do you want B1 to be faster? It's already a 13 frame advancing low. It's gonna hit harder and be safe. What? How many frames will please you? Enough for it be OP? Enough to watch the world burn?

This is a weird thread. She got buffed more than anybody. And before we get to flesh her out, you want MORE? I'm frankly embarrassed by all the buffs she got (on paper). It sounds to me like you want something OP. You want her B1 to be faster? Shit. Why not ask for invincible cartwheels?

You keep saying 1121+3 will be worthless because you can duck it. Uhhhhh.... check the stats, sir. As it stands right now, it's a mid.

You think 2 should be used in cases where you use 33? I want you try something for me.....

Set the AI to Block Always and reversal to Backdash.
Do a 1 (one of the few buttons that BC is at advantage)
watch it get blocked
then press 21/23/2u3.
Watch in horror as the 21/23/2u3 whiffs and all your momentum is toast

Reset.

Press 1 and have it blocked.
Press 33.
Watch as you either connect with the 33 or it gets blocked (depending on the character's backdash).

Before, we were at -8 after 33. No mind games to speak of. They could (and did) backdash for free or punish the 33 unless we DB3 to keep it safe (and lose momentum). Frankly, we weren't even using 33 unless it was in combos.

Now imagine instead of getting punished, we can (GASP!) start some truly SAFE pressure strings. Idgaf if 33 is +1. We got a 7 frame d1 and a 6 frame 1. Those become 6 and 5 frame normals. You can't be interrupted. Once it's established that they shouldn't press buttons after 33, THEN we can use 21/23 mixup because we'll be right in their face after 33. We might be able to do cartwheel 50/50s between DF3MB and DF3d3. Oh. And DF3mb is +1 on block. On paper, the opponent can't escape. And that's if 33 is +1 on block.

Why do you want B1 to be faster? It's already a 13 frame advancing low. It's gonna hit harder and be safe. What? How many frames will please you? Enough for it be OP? Enough to watch the world burn?

Well, first, thanks for actually attempting to tell me WHY I'm wrong. I do want to learn if I'm seeing things poorly.

However, I think you misunderstood me. Regarding the 112 1+3, I was saying that the first hit, the 1, can and should be ducked. And as I said in my in my OP in the 112 1+3 section, I explain why there's little psychological reason to not always be ducking against her in close range neutral if someone knows the matchup.

While I did do what you suggested in practice mode with the 1 and 33, and that difference IS apparent against characters with weak backdashes, it still means little if the opponent knows to stay crouched in neutral to avoid (and likely poke under) the +2 high jab in the first place. If her 1 was a mid, I wouldn't even be here right now typing this, but it's not. I also noticed that one could backdash in-between the first and second 3. Not sure if they intend to change that as well.

"Now imagine instead of getting punished, we can (GASP!) start some truly SAFE pressure strings. Idgaf if 33 is +1. We got a 7 frame d1 and a 6 frame 1. Those become 6 and 5 frame normals. You can't be interrupted."

Well, if it was only +1, and you did a d1 after 33, at best you likely trade if they push theirs (as d1 is 6f for most of the cast), and as I said before, they would (or should) duck if you did a 1. So if they tried a d1 and you did a 1, you would get hit. Buuuut, if they make it +3, then your argument does makes sense, at least regarding d1. It would enable her to close distance in a slightly safer manner. I did say this in my OP that it would grant her a few extra pixels over her 2.

Oh wait... actually I just found out something. Her 3 (the first hit) actually has LESS range when the opponent is crouching. On crouch it has the same range as her 2. Considering my argument about how an opponent SHOULD mainly be crouching against her. It kind of makes 3 less useful than I thought. But perhaps we can just let the first 3 whiff, and still use the whole 33 string to advance us closer (with our hopefully higher than +1 advantage). I'd have to test in matches after the patch to see if that would be viable. Either way, overall I see a little more use than before for the 33 thanks to you.

And her B1 is actually 16 frames, not 13. 13 frames might be nice though. I was thinking more like 12. If an opponent is always mainly crouching, as they should be against her, this change will only make a difference in her whiff punishing ability. Which she needs in her neutral.

Does Canary have a way to jail into 1(12), ala Bane?

Bane can use his d1 hitstun (+17) to jail into microstep-112d, and the hi ALWAYS must be blocked, no ducking or counterpoking possible. I must assume Canary can do something similar, in which case... Yeah, 112throw is gonna be pretty damned strong.

Last edited:
Does Canary have a way to jail into 1(12), ala Bane?

Bane can use his d1 hitstun (+17) to jail into microstep-112d, and the hi ALWAYS must be blocked, no ducking or counterpoking possible. I must assume Canary can do something similar, in which case... Yeah, 112throw is gonna be pretty damned strong.
To my knowledge, no she doesn't.

So, after recently discovering the instant jump to db3 tech (which is REALLY FUCKING FAST, we need to make a tech video on that) I realized that there is a way to condition your opponent to blocking high.

As such, 112 has more viability.

I also realized how fucking truly nasty our character is, and wonder how so little people use her.

So the mod can close this thread if they want. Sorry for wasting taking everyone's time lmao.