What's new

My proposed Black Canary changes

So for some reason, my previous thread about Black Canary got moved from the Black Canary forum to the general forum. But I wanted to get your opinions as BC mains.

Here's the copy of what I said:

"To be honest, I'm not sure this will actually reach the people that decide character changes, but I felt I had to do something as I don't want to just sit back and miss a chance to really help this character. I ask that the mods of this forum please pass on this thread to the appropriate devs. I would be so grateful.

As one of the 10 black canary mains in this game, she's not an easy character to use in some cases relative to the rest of the cast, considering most of her attacks are unsafe and short ranged giving her a poor approach. She is really forced to get in the opponent's personal bubble outwitting whatever higher ranged and safer moves/abilities they have in order to trap them in her great mixup, oki, and reset game where she shines.

I generally accept this playstyle of having to work to get that initial damage in, however she still does have UNNECESSARY glaring weaknesses within this playstyle that I feel are not actually being addressed by most of the proposed buffs.

I'll start by giving an opinion on each one said on stream, then explain my proposals:

- 112 will be safe and the 1+3 will be a command grab. Because of black canary's current move set, there is little reason for an opponent to NOT always crouch block unless you're in the air, AFTER blocking a 2 or AFTER you see her df3ing at you. She has no quick INITIAL overhead attacks to worry about. And because of her lack of pressure strings (as in safe strings that she can stop before finishing with fast recovery to bait a poke then enter another string, like catwoman or batman), there's a much wider window for opponents to poke without getting punished, so psychologically they will be more attack heavy with things like their d1's. These 2 things mean that this string will get very little true viable usage outside of a combo ender as an opponent has little reason to not be preemptively ducking and d1ing which would punish that initial high attack.

Obviously it's not that this change isn't positive objectively, but I feel that it wouldn't really help her cohesively with the limitations of the rest of her moveset and playstyle.

- 33 is SLIGHTLY advantageous. The "slightly" is the key word I noticed. Because she has no other pressure/safe strings, If it's not advantageous enough to allow her to safely do an attack afterwards, then there's little reason to use it over another move like 2 outside of combos except to whiff punish. This isn't a useless change, as it would grant her a few more extra pixels of faster range to whiff punish over say her 2. But if it's only a slight advantage, considering the rest of her moveset and playstyle, it would have minimal effect.

- Her cartwheel attacks will have more pushback and/or be safe on block. This would help her be a little more safe on block after doing a 2 mixup without having to sacrifice her trait, so that's great. Depending on the specifics of it, it may also give her somewhat of an approach. This was a great decision.

- Her b12 will do more damage and is safe on block. This is nice, but considering the slow speed and relatively short range of it, and how the b1 is mainly used to combo, I don't think it will enhance her noticeably unless the recovery on whiff is reduced as well.

The reason I made this thread was, while some of these things are nice, besides the cartwheel changes, I don't believe they truly help her considering the rest of her moveset stats and playstyle based on it.

My proposed changes are simple, would gel with her playstyle, and I feel will give her a small step more towards many characters with safer and higher ranged moves, without making her overpowered considering she does have a great mixup/oki/reset:

- Make her b1 faster. Canary's main weakness is her neutral game and approach. That ability to initially get that hit on a blocking or open opponent to eventually do damage or start combos. As I said before, I accept this weakness relative to her strengths. However this weakness is a little too deep. Because of her overall relatively low range with lack of approach, whiff punishes are one of her primary ways to start damage. This attack is generally her go to for whiff punishing since it can combo into db3. But at 16 frames, it's difficult to punish that whiffed jump-in or string that any other character could do, including a similar styled character like flash. I feel that this should have enhanced speed to allow her to whiff attacks better into combos.

Because she doesn't have any initial fast overheads, this wouldn't make her harder to react to, as a good player would mostly be crouching close to her anyway, but it would allow her to get that initial damage in a bit easier considering her playstyle. So this wouldn't make her overpowered.

- Make her lvl 1 canary cry a mid. You guys said on stream that you wanted to give some use to more moves that were unsafe, well this one is it. Now because of the cartwheel changes, this might not be as much of a priority in my opinion but it's worth saying as this move is useless if speaking optimal use of her moveset. When using Canary's knee (2) mixups, I'd say it's good practice to use her scream afterward in order to combo if it hits (lvl 2 or 3) or allow you to be safe on block. It's excellent for that as well as the long range attack/punish. But her lvl 1 is a high, meaning that the opponent can duck it. So If you remember my point before regarding the 112 changes, there's no real way you would connect this attack on anyone decent outside of a corner combo, in which case there are way better options that are more damaging and won't use up her trait.

You can even even make it minus (but still safe) on block if you want, not that slightly plus moves have much use to her considering the rest of her moveset.

- Make forward 1 a mid. This is another move that's generally useless in neutral. If this was a mid, it would enhance her ability to initially get a touch on an opponent, blocking or not. One of The best tactics to fight Canary is just to walk back. She lacks many approach options. Because the move is relatively slow 16 frames, I believe it makes it fair to allow her to have this when opponents are playing keep away just outside her reach. Since I'm not at my game, I don't remember if there were pokable gaps in the f122 string, but if there is, it would also be worth fixing that.

I feel that while it should be difficult to approach as Canary considering her strengths, it's a tad too difficult against characters with great keep away and fast walk speeds. Flash has about the same range for his mixups, but he has an extremely fast dash speed to compensate. I wouldn't propose to make Canary's dash as fast as his, since he is the fastest man alive, but she needs something to help bridge the gap between mid and close distance.

Hopefully the changes made weren't set in stone, but I'm hoping you'd take a look at this to help make her a better, but not overpowered character.

Thanks for reading."

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I don't think the buffs they devs said are going to help her much imo. That's part of what this post is about.
What if we just wait and play the patch before talking about the changes helping or not?
I mean, they adressed one of her biggest weaknesses which was safety and somehow helped her in the neutral game department while leaving her amazing damage untouched. Not to mention they nerfed some of her bad MUs (Aquaman being her current worst, as far as I know)

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I don't think you're looking at the changes we have coming correctly. At all. I can't think of a Canary main that isn't over the moon about them honestly.

B12 is a bonkers solid string... And it being safe and doing more damage is silly good.

Unless im missing something here, lv1 Canary cry being a mid would be broken. We get it FAST.. it would allow us to apply a mix that if guessed wrong leads into *massive* damage into resets that can take 80% of a life bar, on top of leading into a vortex that works meterlessly.. and if they guess right, well we just yell at them into plus frames and do it all again.

33 being Plus gives us pressure. Crazy strong with her tool kit. 112 being safe, crazy strong with her tool kit... AND we have handspring safe out of cartwheel?

Someone here, who I forgot the name of (sorry) described it as an embarrassment of riches and I don't see how else to look at it. Perfect description imo.

I don't say this to be douchey at all but if the changes don't seem like they matter, then you need to look at some of the tech and the way she's being pplsyed by the top Canary's..

This is just my uneducated opinion, but I think Canary is going to be a solid ass top 10+ character after the changes. I think she's being slept on now a little bit, thought her bad MUs definitely keep her from being an amazing tournament character atm.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
What if we just wait and play the patch before talking about the changes helping or not?
I mean, they adressed one of her biggest weaknesses which was safety and somehow helped her in the neutral game department while leaving her amazing damage untouched. Not to mention they nerfed some of her bad MUs (Aquaman being her current worst, as far as I know)
Correct, all she really needed imo was the Aquaman nerf. Unless everyone picks up a pocket Poison Ivy, there isn't another MU that will completely shut her out anymore

And TC, wait for the frame data. The current buffs were crazy good. She can hit for over 700%, they can only do so much before she's as bad as the current Black Adam.

I don't think you're looking at the changes we have coming correctly. At all. I can't think of a Canary main that isn't over the moon about them honestly.

B12 is a bonkers solid string... And it being safe and doing more damage is silly good.

Unless im missing something here, lv1 Canary cry being a mid would be broken. We get it FAST.. it would allow us to apply a mix that if guessed wrong leads into *massive* damage into resets that can take 80% of a life bar, on top of leading into a vortex that works meterlessly.. and if they guess right, well we just yell at them into plus frames and do it all again.

33 being Plus gives us pressure. Crazy strong with her tool kit. 112 being safe, crazy strong with her tool kit... AND we have handspring safe out of cartwheel?

Someone here, who I forgot the name of (sorry) described it as an embarrassment of riches and I don't see how else to look at it. Perfect description imo.

I don't say this to be douchey at all but if the changes don't seem like they matter, then you need to look at some of the tech and the way she's being pplsyed by the top Canary's..

This is just my uneducated opinion, but I think Canary is going to be a solid ass top 10+ character after the changes. I think she's being slept on now a little bit, thought her bad MUs definitely keep her from being an amazing tournament character atm.
I appreciate you actually providing an explanation for why you think I'm wrong. I wanted to spark a discussion.

I suppose my logical flaw in this post is that people have different styles of play with her.

Hopefully you read WHY I thought some of the things weren't gonna be too useful.. . Imo

Regarding what you said about lvl 1 trait, on hit (after say 21 or 22) all it basically does is put them in JUST enough of a stunned state to be put in another mix up. If used after them blocking it is useless as it is a high and can be ducked. Imo I just don't find it a feasible move the way it is.

Regarding b12, like I said it's obviously good, but I don't think it's game changing (for what I see now is my playstyle, so this whole comment is "imo"). Because I know almost everything she does is unsafe and we generally have to work more than other Characters to even have the opportunity to use our moves, I see no point in using moves/combinations that don't have a high return on hit. Since we don't have the ability to truly "pressure" like say batman or catwoman, we need to make every chance we have on offensive count since we only get once chance before it's their turn. So If I'm in a situation that I think B1 would hit, I'm gonna almost always go for the db2 followup. This of course generally means I don't attack unless I'm largely sure it will connect, which requires harder reads, but I'm fine with that considering the reward. I don't want to give the opponent the opportunity to go on offensive or escape and me blocking to find that harder to gain opportunity again.

For me, as BC I see every offensive opportunity we get as a single sniper shot. You largely get one chance to guess right before it's their turn, so you might as well make each chance count.

Regarding 33, this is largely going to depend on how plus it actually is gonna be. If it's only enough to say get a d1 in, then the move will mostly be redundant imo. You can just use 2. It's near the same distance and both are 11 frames, but now you can mixup. I know you can use the plus frames to do a bit more than attacking, but like I said, don't think it's a game changer.

And regarding 112, I don't think I need to further my explanation in the OP.

I also already said the cartwheel changes are actually game changing.

Keep in mind, I agree that she will rise alone from the top tiers being nerfed. My argument is just that most of the proposed buffs won't be game changers.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I appreciate you actually providing an explanation for why you think I'm wrong. I wanted to spark a discussion.

Regarding what you said about lvl 1 trait, on hit (after say 21 or 22) all it basically does is put them in JUST enough of a stunned state to be put in another mix up. If used after them blocking it is useless as it is a high and can be ducked. Imo I just don't find it a feasible move the way it is.
That's kind of the point. She has 3 levels of trait, with the first one being the weakest. The level 1 is supposed to be kind of useless in most situations, otherwise there'd be no reason to bother with the level 2 or 3..

For the 33, like you said, we don't know the frame data. Depending on how plus it is, there might be some hella good handspring setups when compounded with the handspring buffs. It's WAY too early to be saying this won't matter.

The only reason people are kind of jumping on you here is that you made a "buff Canary" thread when Canary just got what 99% of players feel are really good. If you came up with this before the announced buffs, you probably would have found people more receptive

That's kind of the point. She has 3 levels of trait, with the first one being the weakest. The level 1 is supposed to be kind of useless in most situations, otherwise there'd be no reason to bother with the level 2 or 3..

For the 33, like you said, we don't know the frame data. Depending on how plus it is, there might be some hella good handspring setups when compounded with the handspring buffs. It's WAY too early to be saying this won't matter.

The only reason people are kind of jumping on you here is that you made a "buff Canary" thread when Canary just got what 99% of players feel are really good. If you came up with this before the announced buffs, you probably would have found people more receptive
My point with lvl 1 trait is, I don't see one optimal reason to use it instead of saving it. Like for me they could eliminate it and just make it go from 0 to lvl 2 in the same amount of time and it wouldn't make a difference at all. If a move has 0 OPTIMAL use in any situation, I think something should change. And by "optimal" , I mean the most logical sense. Like the only time I've ever seen lvl 1 be really used is in a corner combo... But you just used your trait for the same damage you could've gotten without it.

And they did emphasize that 33 would be "slightly" plus, so that's why I'm assuming.

But this what I'm very curious about. If anyone would be so kind as to tell me how the dev's buffs will personally be a game changer for you and your playstyle, I really would love to hear. Hopefully I learn something I didn't know.

Particularly involving the 112 buff, considering what I said about it in the OP.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
My point with lvl 1 trait is, I don't see one optimal reason to use it instead of saving it. Like for me they could eliminate it and just make it go from 0 to lvl 2 in the same amount of time and it wouldn't make a difference at all. If a move has 0 OPTIMAL use in any situation, I think something should change. And by "optimal" , I mean the most logical sense. Like the only time I've ever seen lvl 1 be really used is in a corner combo... But you just used your trait for the same damage you could've gotten without it.

And they did emphasize that 33 would be "slightly" plus, so that's why I'm assuming.

But this what I'm very curious about. If anyone would be so kind as to tell me how the dev's buffs will personally be a game changer for you and your playstyle, I really would love to hear. Hopefully I learn something I didn't know.

Particularly involving the 112 buff, considering what I said about it in the OP.
So for the 112 buff, that now gives me a few really solid options to do off of a 112: I can 112 throw to set up a cross-up/regular Canary Drop, I can 112 Canary Drop, which you can choose to cross-up in the corner if you do the normal variant over the close and crosses-up if they block the initial 112, I can 112 soaring knee for damage, I can 112 and take advantage of the handspring buffs to maybe build pressure off of that string if those buffs end up being really good. That's what I came up with just off the top of my head, I'm sure somebody can come up with more ideas. As of right now, I only used 112 throw as a combo ender for better field position. With the patch, all of those doors have opened up

So for the 112 buff, that now gives me a few really solid options to do off of a 112: I can 112 throw to set up a cross-up/regular Canary Drop, I can 112 Canary Drop, which you can choose to cross-up in the corner if you do the normal variant over the close and crosses-up if they block the initial 112, I can 112 soaring knee for damage, I can 112 and take advantage of the handspring buffs to maybe build pressure off of that string if those buffs end up being really good. That's what I came up with just off the top of my head, I'm sure somebody can come up with more ideas. As of right now, I only used 112 throw as a combo ender for better field position. With the patch, all of those doors have opened up
Yea, I get the possibilities of what's possible assuming one could connect the 112 on block, but anyone that actually knows the matchup against BC knows they could just stay crouched and poke under the 1, it being a high. I can't be the only person who knows this or have fought people who realized this. This is my biggest issue with that buff.

Now, of course there are times you can mindgame yourself an opening to where you can freely whiff the first jab above their head and go into the rest of the string on block...

But... with those same frames that made the second hit connect on block, you could've just used her 2, and have a better mixup that would lead into a full combo. You can also use 2 from a better distance, and it can't be ducked and poked under. So in other words, it's a less risky option.

Besides in the corner (because of db2 shenanigans) Any "mixup" that can be done after connecting a 112 on block could be replaced with 2 and it would be a better idea from a risk/reward standpoint. And the corner example isn't even related to the buff.

112 isn't even an optimal punisher... She can do 11db2 for more damage than say 112fb2.

Imo making it safe and giving more options after won't mean much if there's not much optimal reason to use it in neutral in the first place.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Yea, I get the possibilities of what's possible assuming one could connect the 112 on block, but anyone that actually knows the matchup against BC knows they could just stay crouched and poke under the 1, it being a high. I can't be the only person who knows this or have fought people who realized this. This is my biggest issue with that buff.

Now, of course there are times you can mindgame yourself an opening to where you can freely whiff the first jab above their head and go into the rest of the string on block...

But... with those same frames that made the second hit connect on block, you could've just used her 2, and have a better mixup that would lead into a full combo. You can also use 2 from a better distance, and it can't be ducked and poked under. So in other words, it's a less risky option.

Besides in the corner (because of db2 shenanigans) Any "mixup" that can be done after connecting a 112 on block could be replaced with 2 and it would be a better idea from a risk/reward standpoint. And the corner example isn't even related to the buff.

112 isn't even an optimal punisher... She can do 11db2 for more damage than say 112fb2.

Imo making it safe and giving more options after won't mean much if there's not much optimal reason to use it in neutral in the first place.
Anyone that knows the Black Adam MU knows that if you just block high, you'll be fine. It's up to the player using that character to the tools available to outplay their opponent.

Yeah, you don't want to use 112 as a punisher, that's why I said nothing about that. In fact, the B12 string is looking like a real good punisher now, with the improvements on that string. My corner example is absolutely related to the buff, because whereas I wouldn't bother trying that stuff before, now that the string is safe I'm willing to. Because as you said, you can do other things for more damage, but now those things are unsafe. So I can go for a safe option that does a little less damage but gives me setup potential, or I can go for something a bit more damaging but is a guaranteed punish for my opponent if they block. If people played this character only doing what does the most damage, Take$$$ wouldn't have found that vortex with Canary's level 2 trait. We aren't Supergirl players, we should be utilizing everything the character can do.

If that was a little disjointed, I was just typing what came to me. It's hard for me to actually demonstrate my point without the changes available

Anyone that knows the Black Adam MU knows that if you just block high, you'll be fine. It's up to the player using that character to the tools available to outplay their opponent.

Yeah, you don't want to use 112 as a punisher, that's why I said nothing about that. In fact, the B12 string is looking like a real good punisher now, with the improvements on that string. My corner example is absolutely related to the buff, because whereas I wouldn't bother trying that stuff before, now that the string is safe I'm willing to. Because as you said, you can do other things for more damage, but now those things are unsafe. So I can go for a safe option that does a little less damage but gives me setup potential, or I can go for something a bit more damaging but is a guaranteed punish for my opponent if they block. If people played this character only doing what does the most damage, Take$$$ wouldn't have found that vortex with Canary's level 2 trait. We aren't Supergirl players, we should be utilizing everything the character can do.

If that was a little disjointed, I was just typing what came to me. It's hard for me to actually demonstrate my point without the changes available
Everything thing you said in your previous post that could be done after 112 besides the db2 mixup, can and will be able to be done after 2, without the chance of someone ducking under the initial 1. And I was saying it wasn't related because you can do that now without the buff of 112 being safe on block, because these options don't require that.

So it brings me back to my initial question as to how this buff to her 112 will actually be game changing.
And if you get the command grab, you will do a small bit of damage which would likely allow you to follow up with jump in and 2. If they predict it and counter, you get combo'd. If you think they're going to counter, you would have to figure out which counter and act accordingly. The risk/reward ratio is bad here compared to simply using her 2 mixups into trait or cartwheel.

And instead of using B12 as a punisher, you can use B1 then hold trait. If the b1 iconnected, let it rip, if blocked, cancel for a one lvl loss, and still have the offensive if mindgamed right. If speaking risk/reward it's better than a 100-150 damage string (likely the damage they're gonna buff it too), vs them blocking and it's their turn to be offensive or escape your stubby range which you worked hard to get into.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Everything thing you said in your previous post that could be done after 112 besides the db2 mixup, can and will be able to be done after 2, without the chance of someone ducking under the initial 1. And I was saying it wasn't related because you can do that now without the buff of 112 being safe on block, because these options don't require that.

So it brings me back to my initial question as to how this buff to her 112 will actually be game changing.
And if you get the command grab, you will do a small bit of damage which would likely allow you to follow up with jump in and 2. If they predict it and counter, you get combo'd. If you think they're going to counter, you would have to figure out which counter and act accordingly. The risk/reward ratio is bad here compared to simply using her 2 mixups into trait or cartwheel.

And instead of using B12 as a punisher, you can use B1 then hold trait. If the b1 iconnected, let it rip, if blocked, cancel for a one lvl loss, and still have the offensive if mindgamed right. If speaking risk/reward it's better than a 100-150 damage string (likely the damage they're gonna buff it too), vs them blocking and it's their turn to be offensive or escape your stubby range which you worked hard to get into.
Just take this L bro lol... you aren't making any sense

If you guys are honestly reading what I'm saying, and don't at least understand my logic (don't have to agree, but understand), then I guess hope is lost lol.

nugava

Noob
I wonder if you can poke before the 1+3 grab comes out after blocking 112... If not, you'll gain a frame trap of 112... If they just duck waiting for the 1+3 grab for the whiff punish, and you don't do the 1+3, you'll get the advantage. If they can just d1 after the 112 no matter what you do after (1+3 or nothing), then the 112 1+3 buff will be whatever.
AMIRITE ?

I wonder if you can poke before the 1+3 grab comes out after blocking 112... If not, you'll gain a frame trap of 112... If they just duck waiting for the 1+3 grab for the whiff punish, and you don't do the 1+3, you'll get the advantage. If they can just d1 after the 112 no matter what you do after (1+3 or nothing), then the 112 1+3 buff will be whatever.
AMIRITE ?
I doubt they would add a glaring technical flaw like that to her.

I don't think the buffs they devs said are going to help her much imo. That's part of what this post is about.
You cant be serious ? lmfao ppl already sleeping on this fucking character getting buffed. appreciate the buffs you received and try them out before asking for more.

EDIT: I used to play the character as well before you claim I have no experience with her and dont know what I am talking about.

Last edited: