What's new

Match-up Discussion Kung Lao Match-Up Chart December 2012

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
FOREVER KING why do you think sub vs lao is 6-4 lao? I feel like its a little worse than that but it might be because I have no idea how to fight lao with sub
Kung Lao beats Sub for sure, but when Sub is played at the highest level he can still be match for Kung Lao. All teleports can be punished by lowering your hitbox and letting teleport~3 whiff, than 212~ice ball BNB. Sub cannot abuse the ice clone like he can in other matchups, but he can still use it to some extent. Certain high level Subs like Tom Brady, Lionheartv1, and Semi Evil Ryu have learned the Kung Lao matchup really well and know how to fight it, use Lao vs any of those guys and you will see.

Also I would say a 7-3 match-up for Sub would be more along the lines of Kabal or Freddy, Kung Lao isn't as hard for Subby as those characters are

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Kung Lao beats Sub for sure, but when Sub is played at the highest level he can still be match for Kung Lao. All teleports can be punished by lowering your hitbox and letting teleport~3 whiff, than 212~ice ball BNB. Sub cannot abuse the ice clone like he can in other matchups, but he can still use it to some extent. Certain high level Subs like Tom Brady, Lionheartv1, and Semi Evil Ryu have learned the Kung Lao matchup really well and know how to fight it, use Lao vs any of those guys and you will see.

Also I would say a 7-3 match-up for Sub would be more along the lines of Kabal or Freddy, Kung Lao isn't as hard for Subby as those characters are
That makes sense, I still feel like its worse but again thats probably because I have no idea how to fight kung lao with sub. If i tried playing lao id just sit full screen throwing hats

ForeverKing

FOREVER KING I second the Sub Lao MU to be 7-3. One of the biggest problems in this MU is Subs corner game is basically useless since you can dk right out. Anyone with a get out of ”jail” free card will always give Sub problems, BIG problems.
It's tough but Subby can manage. I have fought the matchup many of times using both Kung Lao and Sub-Zero and I feel like it's 6-4 if you know what to do in the match-up with Sub, 7-3 or worse if you don't know how to fight Lao with Sub.

Tom Brady , would you agree with me that Kung Lao vs Sub-Zero is 6-4? Or do you think it is 7-3

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
This tier list is absolutely perfect minus a few tiny things.

Lao vs Kabal 5-5 (negotiable I guess)
Lao vs Sonya 4-6 (Non-negotiable i.m.o)

That's about it, everything else is extremely accurate.

Owerbart

I miss you
Ermac can be annoying for Kung Lao yes. But I have pretty much fought the best of the best of Ermacs, Kung Lao has a slight advantage. Ermac is generally all about zoning and Lao is one of hardest characters in the game to zone.
Dat Mobility
Also up close once Kung gets in, his normals are all faster than Ermacs' and they are safe on block. Ermac has to guess when to poke out and possibly eat a spin. All of Ermac's normals are full combo punish on block
Thing is that just as Ermac may eat a spin, Lao may get his spin blocked for full combo. And TKP shuts down most of the mobility Lao has. He will not be able to teleport and divekicks as footsies are big risk. Of course Lao pressure is good but it's not the best. Also, unlike Sonya or Cage, Lao doesn't have a pure reset except for the teleport and EX teleport setups.

Owerbart

I miss you
then you dont fight good kls.

teleport gets punished by full combo, thats not ermac exclusive

tkp is -11, free roll.

macs d3 is -2 on standing and kls d3 is so slow he doesnt have to poke with it

any normal of ermacs except d1 is slower than kls 21
You can't punish max tkp with a roll. you are gonna fell short. And Ermac punishes the teleport for 44% percent meterless. Also d3 is +5 on crouch block so it may be used wisely. D1 on hit leaves me at +1 and forceblasts help to keep distance.

ForeverKing

huh KL even with sonya? I always thought that sonya beats KL because of low hitbox better pressure... and ARMOR!!!
Everyone always says Sonya "low hitbox" she wins, but the thing Kung Lao's 21 hits Sonya on crouch block so idk what is so "low" about her hitbox. It could be slight Sonya favor and back than I was a firm believer that Sonya beats Kung Lao, but as of recently I will say that it is even

ForeverKing

I don't understand how Sonya vs KL is not in Sonya's favor. Could someone give me an explanation other than "I bet all Sonyas so its fine"?
I use to be a firm believer that Sonya vs Kung Lao is 4-6 in Sonya's favor, and still to this day it can be negotiated 5-5 or 4-6. But after running the match-up over and over using Kung Lao and on the flip-side using Sonya, I have decided that Sonya is not as hard of a match for Kung Lao as Cage is. Most Kung Laos don't know how to fight Sonya so they get blown up. You have to use your mobility to the fullest in this match-up and trade projectiles with her, try not to be up in her face too much. Also a lot of people chant "Sonya low hitbox, Sonya low hitbox" but the fact is that all of Kung Lao's strings such as 21 hit Sonya on crouch blocking, they don't whiff like they do on other low hitbox characters (Kitana/Cage). So I don't see what is so low about Sonya's hitbox. You can't abuse teleport strings like you can vs high hitbox characters (Kenshi/Rain) , but you can use teleport mix-ups to some extent and in certain situations Sonya can't just d1 out of teleport she will get blown up.

Death

Noob
Sonya Lao is extremely interesting MU

My blood tells me its 6-4 sonya but Im willing to listen to Death and Perfect Legend andyFOREVER KING on the reasoning
Regular KL players dont know how to play the MU. The best KL players like PL know how to play it. Sonya does not have a low hitbox. KL tele 3 and standing 2 in open space do connect on her. This is huge for this particular MU. His general keep away game with jumping in/tele/dive kick to the other side is good vs her. He builds a lot of meter. He can also actually zone her quite well with low hats and straight hats and when Sonya jumps he can dive kick~hit confirm~combo or just dive kick out of the way. She has a hard time building meter in the MU. KL builds a ton of it and when he has x-ray its really tough for her to attack him in general.

Sonya 7f uppercut actually can hurt her in this MU. When KL crosses up Sonya is no choice but to AA uppercut or dash out of the way. If Sonya goes for the AA uppercut KL can teleport on cross up and full combo punish the whiff uppercut and if sonya dashes out of the way the tele 3 will hit her.

Sonyas strings whiffing on opponents is a bigger issue than KLs strings whiffing. But in the MU KL strings doesnt whiff vs Sonya. Also KL can spin Sonya out of her MS block strings for free. Most characters like Kenshi have to use armor and waste a meter. KL can do this for free.

Only reason why regular KL players cry in this MU is because they just teleport non stop or random spins. Sonya can get over 50% on random spins and nearly 40% on "24~low hat" that scrubs like to still use.

Sonyas 7f uppercut, her damage and her footsie tools is what makes this a 5-5.

ForeverKing

i always thought KL beat mileena 6 - 4 :confused: mileena is so slow KL can spin everything lol :p

nonetheless awesome list
Thank you. I really do wanna say that Kung Lao beats Mileena 6-4, but tier lists are based on characters played to the highest level. And the best Mileena I have ever played is Pig Of The Hut , and his Mileena gives me a really hard time. If you watched EVO you seen his Mileena gave PL a really hard time as well. Pig is pretty much the reason I am calling this match-up 5-5, if it wasn't for his Mileena being so good and giving most Kung Laos a tough battle I would probably say it was 6-4 lol