What's new

Better defensive options!

arydious

Noob
I'd rather have a rushdown game, it get's SOOO boring when people are turtling, and that would be the case with this parry mechanism you have stated, I would rather have offensive characters and defensive characters.

Well at the least in my opinion, that's why I hate watching Street Fighter.
Defensive is so very boring. Turtling is slow an example si Tom Brady vs Marvas at devastation they both played Sub Zero, who is the most defensive character in this game. How many time did the timer run out? Really the timer is 90 seconds and it ran out. This fight was still entertaining but it was long and i would not re-watch it.

The defensive people in this game are played different then what you want that doesn't mean it is wrong. Examples, smoke can smoke away and toss smoke bombs to catch the opponent off guard that is a defensive play-style right? Mileena can guard waiting for the opponent to jump then use her ball to capitalize on it. Johnny Cage he is a rushdown character but he can sit back and wait to land a b3 or f4 then punish.

I feel this game has defenses they are just not your standard parry like in all the other games. If NRS made mk like every other game why would we even want to buy it? The point is to be different like i said before just because it is not what you are used to does nto mean it is wrong. MK has a lot of focus on meta game which requires you to be truly smart and understand how to get people to do what you want them to.

The offense is too good to have primitive defense!

NRS borrowed the Front/Back punch and kick mechanism from Tekken and they also borrowed super meter and x-rays(supers) from Street Fight but we all still bought the damn game lol....so whats your point?

& lets clarify something:

parry = Causes no damage/ gives slight advantage depending on what move was parried

reversal = Causes a small amount of damage and causes knockdown in most causes but doesn't necessarily grant advantage

I'm not asking for a SF3 type parry where you get complete advantage and even parry specials.

it can add many more layers of strategy to the gameplay.

shig

kool guy
Like I said before MK9's defensive system is basic and it sucks and most of the characters play too similar....80% of the characters are rush down lol
when I play ssf4 you can automatically feel the difference in playing Zangief or Bison.
MK 10 can keep this great offense BUT they need some better defensive mechanics to balance it out.
Some games are simply going to be more offensive than others by nature, and I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that. I think adding universal parries would be changing too much.
Instead of changing the entire game system, you should change some characters' movesets. Like adding command parries or slow armored grabs to a few characters.

halfeaten

Fully Composed
Sorry, but if you're looking for game with a deep and involved defensive system I'd look elsewhere. While the Tekken series prides itself on it's unique parry and grappling system, MK focuses on unique combos and rushdowns.

On that note, I would like to see some sort of counter-combo system. Something like if your opponent using a low attacking string, and you use a medium at the right time, it should counter theirs and give you a combo opportunity (and vice-versa). It would have to be extremely technical and timed perfectly to prevent it from being abused, but I think something like this would fit perfectly in MK while still making Breakers viable.

After all, the best defense is a good offense, and that's especially true in MK. :)

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
There should be 0 chip damage from normals and specials on the last 10% of health. Too often games in MK are won due to chip damage at the very last centimeter of health. Why not turn those last crucial bits of health into hype instead of "welp it's over, he locked me in a block string"?

The thing about a universal parry system in MK is that it would effectively destroy the depth of resource management that comes from breakers being tied to the super meter. In MK9, you have to strategize spending your meter offensively or defensively. This is a huge part of the metagame which would be lost if you could just parry out of a combo at your discretion, provided you read your opponent correctly and execute accordingly.

Universal parries also just homogenize the cast too much. Suddenly, there's no need for unique defensive characters, special moves, normals, X-rays, strategies, etc because every character can just parry out of everything now. I do agree that MK overall is lacking more defense oriented characters, which I would love to see more of in the next game.

Also, you totally forgot to mention uppercuts as a means of defense. Stryker, Cage, Jax, Quan-Chi; all rely on their very fast uppercuts to get out of pressure.

Chew on this for a minute: what if it was changed so breakers only required 1 bar of meter?

VOR

Noob
so many things in this game can be stuffed and interrupted. i like that the offensive player is mostly at advantage, but still the defensive player does have
quite a few options as is. i also like the fact that this game is more about being a smart and aggressive player, rather than a defensive and parrying player who's just waiting to react parry everything. too many parries in a match and it'll get boring. imagine 10 parries every round.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
Well knowing where you can interrupt a combo with d,4-s or a parry from some chars are very good, still you are right that overeally it is primitive.
Just a thought: What if timed with the blocking if you input the same input as your opp does (you have to know the exact input for the string) would
give you advantage? Just a thought...

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
If MK10 uses similar frame data to MK9, there would never be a reason to add in stuff like universal parries because low pokes are very good defensively in this game. When almost no non-basic low normal provides even +1 on block unless they have certain limitations, there's no reason to really add defensive mechanics. If a good portion of players focused on playing better D under pressure, everyone would see exactly how balanced the offense-defense ratio is in this game. It's much easier to get a balance between offense and defense when you don't overload your mechanics.

Pretty much...people, step it up.

Justice

Noob
If MK10 uses similar frame data to MK9, there would never be a reason to add in stuff like universal parries because low pokes are very good defensively in this game. When almost no non-basic low normal provides even +1 on block unless they have certain limitations, there's no reason to really add defensive mechanics. If a good portion of players focused on playing better D under pressure, everyone would see exactly how balanced the offense-defense ratio is in this game. It's much easier to get a balance between offense and defense when you don't overload your mechanics.

Pretty much...people, step it up.
Well knowing where you can interrupt a combo with d,4-s or a parry from some chars are very good, still you are right that overeally it is primitive.
Just a thought: What if timed with the blocking if you input the same input as your opp does (you have to know the exact input for the string) would
give you advantage? Just a thought...
This. It's meant to be simple or "primitive". The designers set a pace for the game that quite frankly, a full-on defensive system would slow down. That is the genius that is Mortal Kombat. It's difficulty is how "simple" it is. Since it's easy to play, it's not about getting a mega-super kombo off, it's more about creating opportunities for your kombos, doing footsies, playing mind games, etc.

HangNail

TrevarThePastor
The reason MK9's fighting engine got so much praise was because it was SIMPLE. Juts like the older MK's, you don't have to worry about a ton of bars, parry's and escapes to worry about. It was more like "i block a few hits then you block a few hits then one of us will mess up and i can get a full combo. Oh darn breaker" Thats what MK plays like and will continue to play like.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
The reason MK9's fighting engine got so much praise was because it was SIMPLE. Juts like the older MK's, you don't have to worry about a ton of bars, parry's and escapes to worry about. It was more like "i block a few hits then you block a few hits then one of us will mess up and i can get a full combo. Oh darn breaker" Thats what MK plays like and will continue to play like.
Yeah, that won't last long in the competitive scene at that rate. There's nothing wrong with some defensive measures in this game besides AAs and armored moves. Look at characters like Quan Chi and Sektor, do you have any idea how badly they get bodied when getting rushed down because they either do not have EX armor or their options are garbage.

Having parries and actual defensive measures will stop the counter picking 7-3, 8-2 bullshit matchups in this game. You don't necessarily get out played in this game, there's a lot of gimmicks in this game, and when you lose to gimmicks; well it's bullshit after a while and this is WHY we see the same 5-7 characters in tournaments.

BECAUSE THEY'RE THE ONLY VIABLE CHARACTERS TO PLAY COMPETITIVELY! You guys can say what you want about SF4 but SF4 has FAR more tournament viable diversity.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Extra defensive mechanics don't improve characters. Improving character options improve characters.

Also, a majority of the cast in MK9 is still majorly unexplored after almost a year of playing. You still haven't seen Reptile/Smoke players try to incorporate invisibility until recently, and people forgot about Raiden until PL played in his first tournament in ages. Sonya is JUST NOW getting play in tournaments is getting noticed as a threat. There are literally maybe only 1 decent representative for a ton of characters. Not great, decent.

Until this game gets more explored than it is now, there's no way in hell the verdict on how many viable characters there are is out.

Btw, SFIV also racks in a pretty significant number of competitors in comparison to, pretty much, any other fighter out there not Marvel, and has been thoroughly explored for 3 years by a ton of players, and has just gotten a rebalance, so the game's tiers aren't even set in stone after all this time. People are still figuring them out, basically.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Exagerated defense in a fighting game is stupid.It's why UMK3 > MK2.

It's also why I don't play a lot of 2d fighters because most people rely on zoning and projectile wars.I want to play a fighting game not a side-scrolling shooter.

In my perspective MK(yay) , CAPCOM FGs (HELL NAW)

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Absolutely NO. The last thing I want to see is this game turn into Tekken 6 or SF4. There's notihng more frustrating than someone playing a keep out game and when you finally get in, they have 5 different options to get out of your guessing games. How the hell would Johnny Cage or Baraka win if Kitana or Kabal had parrys when people get close? Armor is good enough for most characters, we don't need anything else.

The offensive player should be REWARDED when he guesses right to get in on his opponent. Not PENALIZED and has to KEEP guessing to do damage. SF4 and Tekken 6 are NOT good for too many defensive options. Even Daigo said that.

NRS has done this perfect, it should not change in the slightest degree.

The ability to sway backwards to dodge a kick or punch and then counter with your own attack (just one example) would make it a much more technical fighting game and more realistic so Im in favor.

Absolutely NO. The last thing I want to see is this game turn into Tekken 6 or SF4. There's notihng more frustrating than someone playing a keep out game and when you finally get in, they have 5 different options to get out of your guessing games. How the hell would Johnny Cage or Baraka win if Kitana or Kabal had parrys when people get close? Armor is good enough for most characters, we don't need anything else.

The offensive player should be REWARDED when he guesses right to get in on his opponent. Not PENALIZED and has to KEEP guessing to do damage. SF4 and Tekken 6 are NOT good for too many defensive options. Even Daigo said that.

NRS has done this perfect, it should not change in the slightest degree.

If you hit your opponent then they wouldnt be able to dodge and counter your attacks cause theyd be "rocked"/staggered. That's the way I think it should be.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
it would be nicer if the sped up the game just a tad more with walk speeds and the back dash system be a little bit better for certain characters.

Goku

Noob
The offense is too good to have primitive defense!

NRS borrowed the Front/Back punch and kick mechanism from Tekken and they also borrowed super meter and x-rays(supers) from Street Fight but we all still bought the damn game lol....so whats your point?
His point is that MK still has unique gameplay feeling separate from MK and Tekken. MK games have always been known for the fast-paced and offensive characters. Defense is very boring, I hate watching 2 Sub-Zeros go at it because all they do is sit back and turtle. VERY BORING and what your asking could really bring down the fast-paceness and offense of MK. What I think the issue is that you mainly are a SF and Tekken type person. You started to play MK and it caught you off-guard because of the highly offensive gameplay with fast-paced action. Just understand that this is MK, not SF or Tekken.

I play Marvel 2 for fun, but I've never actually touched Marvel 3 yet
cuz that game is a lot more noob friendly than mk. mk is just fun for noobs to play, things are easy to execute, but if you want to get better, youre gonna have to spend time to improve yourself like other fg's

His point is that MK still has unique gameplay feeling separate from MK and Tekken. MK games have always been known for the fast-paced and offensive characters. Defense is very boring, I hate watching 2 Sub-Zeros go at it because all they do is sit back and turtle. VERY BORING and what your asking could really bring down the fast-paceness and offense of MK. What I think the issue is that you mainly are a SF and Tekken type person. You started to play MK and it caught you off-guard because of the highly offensive gameplay with fast-paced action. Just understand that this is MK, not SF or Tekken.
Bro I'm 19, the first fighting game I ever touched was Mortal Kombat 2. I've been chucking spears since "95". I digress, SF has a bigger variety of gameplay and it forces you to have a better understanding of the game and I think that NRS can pull that off without losing the fun factor because MK is more fun to play opposed to SF. I also play Tekken and the game still has a pretty good pace even though they have more diverse defense. Even with parries & reversals it would be impossible to sit back & turtle for 3 reasons:
1). The probability of your opponent guessing if your about to Fp/Bp - Fk/Bk is sadly not in their favor.
2). Special moves wont be able to be parried/reversed because that would make it OP.
3). Match-ups