Better defensive options!

MK9's only defensive options:
1. blocking - regular guard
2. low pokes - interrupt strings
3. throw tech - break throws
4. tech roll - gain space on wake-up
5. ducking - duck high strings and specials
6. back dashing - gain space​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MK10 should have:
1. all of the above
2. front/back punch tech/reversal - parry a punch
3. front/back kick tech/reversal - parry a kick
4. pushing - gain space/interrupt blocking​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

front/back punch tech is when you press a certain combination at the precise moment the punch is about to hit and you will get a reversal. A perfect example is in Tekken 3 where you press b+1+3 to tech a front/back punch and it was very useful for interrupting combos.

B W1zZ

Noob
I think MK10 should be more technical overall and have better defensive options. I don't know about having separate parrys for each type of punch and kick, but 2 parrys, 1 for punches and 1 for kicks would be cool. Either that or make a universal parry, but make it highly punishable, kind of like MKA.

B W1zZ

Noob
Highly doubt that will happen, NRS is known for extremely offensive fighting games.
Well they still keep defense in mind...the previous MK games had breaker and parry systems and the series has been evolving, so who's to say MK10 won't have more intricate defensive options at this point?

I want it to be like the parry in Tekken 3

B+1+3 can parry front/back punches

B+2+4 can parry front/back kicks

I totally agree, MK9 makes hardcore gamers suffer because its to "noob" friendly

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Better normals in general, who goes to the command list and looks at their normals? Nobody.

It would be interesting if there was a just frame defense system that made your character recover faster from block stun for pressing block within a 1 or 2 frame window.

Defense in MK9 sucks!

Tekken 3 was released over a decade ago and the defensive system is better.

Reversals
Attack reversals were character-specific. If used correctly you could grab your opponents arm or leg and get a special grab animation that threw your opponent to the ground. Only certain characters had this maneuver Nina, Jin, Paul, King, Law, and Anna. King could only reverse high/mid kicks and Law could only reverse high/mid punches while the rest of those characters could do both.

(b+1+3 or b+2+4)
Active between the 2nd-10th frames
26 frames of recovery (if whiffed)
38 frames of execution (if whiffed)

Parries
were also character specific and knocked your opponents attack to the side and gave you certain advantages depending on which attack you parried. There were 2 types of parries/ High/Mid and low parries. I don't know which characters had which. The low parries gave you the biggest advantage of 26 frames and high/mid gave 7

Chicken
Chickens or reversal escapes brought balance to reversals because a chicken is a reversal of a reversal and wasn't character specific. It also gave frame advantage.

(f+1+3 or f+2+4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This defense is simple but a variation of it could bring many more players and a few more much needed layers of strategy

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
MK9's only defensive options:
1. blocking - regular guard
2. low pokes - interrupt strings
3. throw tech - break throws
4. tech roll - gain space on wake-up
5. ducking - duck high strings and specials
6. back dashing - gain space​

MK10 should have:
1. all of the above
2. front/back punch tech/reversal - parry a punch HEEEEEYULLL NO
3. front/back kick tech/reversal - parry a kick HEEEEEYULLL NO
4. pushing - gain space/interrupt blocking​
meh, sure

front/back punch tech is when you press a certain combination at the precise moment the punch is about to hit and you will get a reversal. A perfect example is in Tekken 3 where you press b+1+3 to tech a front/back punch and it was very useful for interrupting combos.
^^^

cyke_out

Noob
I can see a MoTW's just defend type system, but instead of reduced block stun, it nullifies chip damage, making last ditch comebacks slightly easier.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Honestly, I've never liked parries in any fighter other than Soul Calibur.

In this game I'd rather see better defensive options implemented in the form of the realization that "oh, hey, these characters were designed with defensive play in mind. They should actually be able to play defensively."

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Honestly, I've never liked parries in any fighter other than Soul Calibur.

In this game I'd rather see better defensive options implemented in the form of the realization that "oh, hey, these characters were designed with defensive play in mind. They should actually be able to play defensively."
Exactly. :moonwalk:

I think a SC esque parry system would be nice:

f+blck - parry high/mid punches & kicks

df+blck - parry low punches & kicks

etc.

What character in MK9 is defensive w/o being completely offensive?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
You know, I've played a lot... A LOT of fighting games competitively. Guilty Gear, KoF, 3rd Strike, Soul Calibur, BlazBlue, etc. I always only enjoyed Mortal Kombat as a novelty, it was never a competitive game until this release, but it was always awesome. The impression I got from MK9 when I first picked it up was that it wasn't about necessarily having better execution, i.e. being able to hit one frame links, FRCs, parries, just impacts, things of that nature. But that it was about just being the smarter player.

This game had a really advanced metagame in the beginning, but it sort of worked on the principle of "easy to learn; hard to play." Now the whole thing is easy mode and it infuriates people.

What character in MK9 is defensive w/o being completely offensive?
The syntax here is awkward. Can you clarify?

No.
It wasnt taken seriously because the gameplay mechanics of the older MK's were complete crap.
The best defensive option in MK9 is the breaker. If there were better defensive options there would be no need for a breaker.
Again look at Tekken...if you know your opponents character and you get caught in a combo you still have a chance to get out of the combo w/ a low parry, reversal, high/mid parry, sway, side step etc.

There's nothing wrong with dial-in combos & I actually enjoy that part of the game but when MK9 was being developed NRS kept preaching a "balanced game" and the offense is GREAT....but the defense sucks and I don't feel its balanced because I'm a defensive minded player.

and w/o = without :)

cyke_out

Noob
a game doesn't need specialized defensive mechanics for a character to have a defensive playstyle as long as that characters tools are strong enough to promote it's style of play without over-powering the rest of the cast.

Maybe your not understanding that I'm saying the entire defensive system needs to be universally revamped not just specific characters.

Like I said before MK9's defensive system is basic and it sucks and most of the characters play too similar....80% of the characters are rush down lol
when I play ssf4 you can automatically feel the difference in playing Zangief or Bison.
MK 10 can keep this great offense BUT they need some better defensive mechanics to balance it out.

I'd rather have a rushdown game, it get's SOOO boring when people are turtling, and that would be the case with this parry mechanism you have stated, I would rather have offensive characters and defensive characters.

Well at the least in my opinion, that's why I hate watching Street Fighter.

I agree. Either buff up the defense system or get rid of pseudo defensive characters (Zoners) like Noob Saibot, Sindel, Ermac etc. They serve no purpose in MK9 other than to get their ass beat. Armor being handed out like candy, plus these characters slow normals and one can only think, wtf was NRS thinking?