What's new

Your opinion on the new special cancel OS

Should the option select be in the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Can someone explain the 1+2+3 option select to me? So far the only option selects I know of operates on the two facts that if you input a direction after inputting a special, it is removed from the buffer and also that moves take longer to come out if they are blocked.

So for Cassie for instance, you can input, f3~db23, f and with the right timing, cartwheel will come out on hit but not on block. This works because the last f, removes the db2 special from the buffer, and then the extra 3 is read and comes out instead.

But yeah, they are hella dumb tbh, even if they do have an execution requirement.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Can someone explain the 1+2+3 option select to me? So far the only option selects I know of operates on the two facts that if you input a direction after inputting a special, it is removed from the buffer and also that moves take longer to come out if they are blocked.

So for Cassie for instance, you can input, f3~db23, f and with the right timing, cartwheel will come out on hit but not on block. This works because the last f, removes the db2 special from the buffer, and then the extra 3 is read and comes out instead.

But yeah, they are hella dumb tbh, even if they do have an execution requirement.
If have shortcuts on and hit some of the directions in a special +1+2+3 you will get an ex special instantly. I think its a carry over from injustice where you could do MB as 1+2+3 and f,f MB allowed a ground bounce.

Matix218

Get over here!
So as some of you might already know there is a new option select that allows us to cancel a special off of a normal or a string that has already been inputted. What this option select does is it can make certain launchers safe on block that are originally not safe on block, because you don't have to commit to an unsafe launcher.

The main concern for me is that this makes some mids/lows/overheads safe and maybe too good. Certain moves are originally unsafe for a reason, they would have been too good if they were safe on block. I am starting this discussion, because there hasn't been a discussion about this at all and I want to know what people think about this. This option select has a huge influence on the game and its balance.

Please give your own opinion about this and don't be a sheep. Think about how much this OS will change the game and give your own honest opinion+explanation in the thread
I said all of this in the original thread weeks ago. I don't understand why people were defending this garbage. If a move is supposed to be unsafe and it becomes safe and risk free via a glitch that is NEVER good for the game

Matix218

Get over here!
The plus side about OS is that some of them are tough to do and any sort of learning curve does help separate the men from the boys as players.

The down side is that it makes 50/50 characters even stronger, who are already the strongest in the game. I predict the end game with the balance will be skewed towards 50/50 characters heavily.

Unless of course they get removed. Then it'll keep things a little more interesting.
Option selects seriously remove the hype of the "mind vs mind" between opponents. Instead of a read to do something risky based on conditioning your opponent the risk is completely removed. It just removes a layer of depth and makes risky reads with high reward (aka excitement) disappear. Thats my opinion on it at least...

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
It clear that no one here likes the OS (Or at least the vast majority dislike it)

But here's the next question: What's the likelyhood that this is something that is even possible to be patched out? Does this kill MKX if they can't fix it?

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
It clear that no one here likes the OS (Or at least the vast majority dislike it)

But here's the next question: What's the likelyhood that this is something that is even possible to be patched out? Does this kill MKX if they can't fix it?
I don't know enough about code to accurately articulate a guess as to if this can be patched out or not. That being said, if this doesn't get patched out IMO this game will be dead in the water. We are already seeing the same broken characters again and again in tourneys but if this stay and the pros master it (which they all will) there will be a group of 5 characters that everyone uses and do the same strings into OS over and over again. Completely boring brain dead garbage, NO risk, ALL reward. Watching Top 8 will be more boring than watching golf.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I don't know enough about code to accurately articulate a guess as to if this can be patched out or not. That being said, if this doesn't get patched out IMO this game will be dead in the water. We are already seeing the same broken characters again and again in tourneys but if this stay and the pros master it (which they all will) there will be a group of 5 characters that everyone uses and do the same strings into OS over and over again. Completely boring brain dead garbage, NO risk, ALL reward. Watching Top 8 will be more boring than watching golf.
Then the game will turn into who has the best ground game and footsies as it should be anyways and becomes way more entertaining to watch at high level.

Don't touch my option selects... it's literally the ONLY thing that Kitana has up close that isn't -5 or full combo punishable on block.

Reactions: SGX

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Then the game will turn into who has the best ground game and footsies as it should be anyways and becomes way more entertaining to watch at high level.

Don't touch my option selects... it's literally the ONLY thing that Kitana has up close that isn't -5 or full combo punishable on block.
Isn't is bad enough that some characters have 50/50s and others don't? And you want to keep OS with that? It will be MK9 all over again, in regards to the same small group of characters being used by everyone and all others dropped because without 50/50 with OS's they will be virtually useless.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Not gonna lie, the more I think about it the more I get bummed out. I'm not sure I could even play the game if all the OS stay in. Dvorah can make it so her f112 comes out on block and her f11 EX Wasp comes out on hit. So anytime I land an f1 you either get to block f112 pressure(which is pretty ridiculous) or you get combod for around 50%. I just dont see how that is good for the game, or how anyone could consider that fun.

qspec

Noob
Working in code, I always hate when people say that something shouldn't be that difficult to do, but I'm going to do it anyway. I don't imagine patching it the OS would be all that difficult.

There are two potential approaches:

1) Remove the ability for a directional input to "wash out" previous specials which is a key component to the OS.

2) Move the "on-hit" window to be the same as the "on-block" window or vice versa.

That said, I have no idea what potential side effects those could cause. I'm far too myopic to even guess at that.

@Konqrr

Wouldn't you rather get meaningful buffs to a character that is likely low tier instead of having to balance her around what is effectively an exploit or a bug? This is one of my biggest issues with OS this robust. Balance has to include them. There is no way a designer can not look at potential OS regarding balance as they potentially affect literally every move, every kombo, and every special.

As for execution barriers... that's a dumb argument. A 1 frame link is an execution barrier. These are just lab time sucks. I was reliably getting D'vorah's in training after a few minutes. I'll fuck with Mileena's tomorrow, but I imagine it will be similar.

To wrap this up, I'll paraphrase MikeZ regarding Xrd:

These OS remove a lot of the thoughtful metagame... OS are not reads, they are training mode practice, and in my opinion, they do not enrich the game experience at all.

I like how so many people are like "so, if someone WERE to hypothetically do this horrible tactic (not that i would), what buttons would I press?"

Quantus

I like how so many people are like "so, if someone WERE to hypothetically do this horrible tactic (not that i would), what buttons would I press?"
I think it's more of a case of "I don't want this to be in the game, but if it is, I have to learn it or i'm putting myself at a disadvantage."

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Speaking of how possible it is to patch them out, I believe OS comes from the buffer windows being different on hit and block. Making them equal will make it a bit more of a commitment to execute, reducing window to startup no matter what, but should take care of the OS.

That's how it looks to me at least.

Quantus

Would reducing blockstop be a viable option? Wouldn't this be an indirect buff to some of the hi/lows strings (Erron, Cassie)?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Would reducing blockstop be a viable option? Wouldn't this be an indirect buff to some of the hi/lows strings (Erron, Cassie)?
I don't think it's what these OS are directly tied to. Should be something with difference between buffer windows on block and on hit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This can make the execution standard higher and seperate the men from the boys, but will also make it easier for the boys to do things without risk so imo if anything this would make it easier for the boys. If you would have asked anyone whether there should be that many safe lows overheads or good mid prrssure strings in the game before it came out, almost everyone would have said no. How are peoples opinions different suddenly

Quantus

I don't think it's what these OS are directly tied to. Should be something with difference between buffer windows on block and on hit. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe the reason for the buffer windows being different is because of the blockstop in this game.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I believe the reason for the buffer windows being different is because of the blockstop in this game.
The option selects where you get a string on block but special on hit are tied to two things.
1. If you input a direction after a special, it removes it from the buffer window
2. Moves down on block take longer (aprox 3-4 frames) to come out (blockstop).

Hence you can input a string (or the beginning of a string) into a special, then input the end of the string, then cancel the special with a directional input during the couple of frames where the move would come out on hit, but not on block, and the rest of the string is read instead.

lol are people really saying let the option select rock because it benefits my character. Let it rock so Kitana has a good move to use. Bias opinions should definitely be taken serious:DOGE

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
lol are people really saying let the option select rock because it benefits my character. Let it rock so Kitana has a good move to use. Bias opinions should definitely be taken serious:DOGE
Well, if REO can say that certain mech (interactible blockstun cancel) should be left in because his character can use it to get full combo punishes whereas overwhelming majority of other characters don't get shit, well, can't blame the rest.