What's new

Your opinion on the new special cancel OS

Should the option select be in the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So as some of you might already know there is a new option select that allows us to cancel a special off of a normal or a string that has already been inputted. What this option select does is it can make certain launchers safe on block that are originally not safe on block, because you don't have to commit to an unsafe launcher.

The main concern for me is that this makes some mids/lows/overheads safe and maybe too good. Certain moves are originally unsafe for a reason, they would have been too good if they were safe on block. I am starting this discussion, because there hasn't been a discussion about this at all and I want to know what people think about this. This option select has a huge influence on the game and its balance.

Please give your own opinion about this and don't be a sheep. Think about how much this OS will change the game and give your own honest opinion+explanation in the thread

I don't understand what an option select is. You said that you can cancel a special off of normal or a string. But afaik that is already in this game and has already been in mk9 and probably injustice and most other fg aswell. The rule of thumb is that you can cancel after 2 hit string and if a string is 3 hits you can't cancel anymore and some normals can't be canceled. But what difference does this OS make I really don't understand. Could someone be this kind to elaborate? Does that mean you're now able to cancel something off of every string, even three hit ones after they have already been inputed?

delbuster

hungry
they do defeat the purpose of some of the risk reward that was chosen by the designers, but it does add another dimension of technique/depth to experimenting in training mode. in general it does take some decision making out of the game in favor of execution.

it will be interesting to see, if they remove it, how they will remove it. if they make it so that extra directional inputs do not nullify special moves, then special move hold run cancels may be much easier. as of right now you cannot buffer run when you dial the special as that nullifies the special move coming out.

if they do not remove it, it's just hurting you not using it though. use what you got.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
From what I understand the OS with the 1+2+3 inputs will be going. The newer OS where you cancel a special on block with fast directional inputs wont be or at least that is what I gathered from CDJR stream when paulo was in chat.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Not a fan, and I've heard the 1+2+3 ones are gone soon anyway.

I learned Jacqui and realized she can just do b2~bf4 and b33~db3 without having to worry about whether the opponent blocks or not, that shit is nuts. I know Erron Black has option selects too that don't involve 1+2+3 but I haven't practiced them yet. I hope those get removed too, I think they kind of defeat the purpose of strings that aren't meant to be confirmed.

delbuster

hungry
if they do remove it in the way i described, this game will be ran by special hold run cancel chars. that stuff is hard right now. if they make it easier there's no reason not to play those chars IMO.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Not a fan, and I've heard the 1+2+3 ones are gone soon anyway.

I learned Jacqui and realized she can just do b2~bf4 and b33~db3 without having to worry about whether the opponent blocks or not, that shit is nuts. I know Erron Black has option selects too that don't involve 1+2+3 but I haven't practiced them yet. I hope those get removed too, I think they kind of defeat the purpose of strings that aren't meant to be confirmed.
Jacqui b3/b33, Jax b2 and Goro 3d3 are examples of moves designed to be built in option selects as they are just are straight up not cancellable on block.

The option selects this thread is talking about it taking advantage of the input system in various ways to remove high risk situations from characters that are based around high risk/high reward guesses.

Things like Jax b2 are designed to be low risk/high reward so those moves don't apply to this discussion.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
As stated, they remove any concept of risk. Things like Raiden's 50/50 can be made completely safe through them, and Sub can remove the risk of doing f42 ice clone/ice ball by just doing f4 os.

They kind of suck, and dumb down the game IMO.
Yeah, these aren't like SFIV's OS's that, while they cover multiple options, there's an option that always blows a specific OS up.

These just are "Land a hit? Cool. Blocked? That's cool, too."

DavS13

Noob
I don't understand what an option select is. You said that you can cancel a special off of normal or a string. But afaik that is already in this game and has already been in mk9 and probably injustice and most other fg aswell. The rule of thumb is that you can cancel after 2 hit string and if a string is 3 hits you can't cancel anymore and some normals can't be canceled. But what difference does this OS make I really don't understand. Could someone be this kind to elaborate? Does that mean you're now able to cancel something off of every string, even three hit ones after they have already been inputed?
It allows you to get specials out only on block or only on hit, eliminating hit confirming in some cases and making strings safe. Bad thing to have in this game IMO.