What's new

YOMI and Hype...

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Truth is, more people need to step up and get on the same level as these guys. I agree, that while I respect the hell out of the YOMI guys it doesn't help with hype seeing 6 of them in a top 8 at a major. If more people got up to that level of play and started knocking some of them out in pools in such, it would be a better tournament to watch. As far as the "gym leader" comment goes from @Mikemetroid I can understand where that comes from, but the thing that makes it special beating the gym leaders is that theres 1 at each gym....not all of them at the same gym every month.
Not everyone can live having no job, career, school, etc and can leave home and play 10-12 hours every day

Level up? Yea not gonna happen w most people w actual jobs this quick

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I saw Dizzy on AvoidingThePuddle once talk about how at his local they do not play for pots. So there are no cash prizes and he is rather dominant there. He said the reason for no pots is that they felt it discouraged people to come and compete. The events lost all meaning and basically became a king of the hill vs dizzy who then went home with a pay cheque and no one else got jack.

This is kinda like Yomi. There is no doubting the skill they have, and as people have said they have incredibly strong match up experience due to the people in there local. Overtime this could be unstoppable, I mean the training at Yomi is beyond at the moment, no doubt.

The question if independent players are even going to try and compete with that after a while is one worth considering. Some talented kid might be going, I could play this game all day every day and sit in training room, but there is no way I will ever be able to beat these guys due to their match up experience.. why even bother. Is traveling so far and paying board and fuel or plane tickets even worth it?... then they pick another game that is all or mostly independent players as they feel they have a shot.

This is the hypothetical scenario that scares me the most.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I feel Yomi is the new VSM but with more reginal players in it. I understand that the hype against certain players is not like it was from mk9. I mean you have Cali, Ohio, Vegas, and NY all in the same team. But they are fun to watch with weeklies.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Ever since Blake made that "Raiden" thread; I've always read his posts in Raidens voice.

I'm I the only one?

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
My only gripe with YOMI winning everything is that I feel like I know wat EVOs gonna look like. Kinda makes me more excited to see the SFV stuff go down.

I love MKX and I like all the guys in YOMI, I just think it's a bit of a hype killer when they walk in the building.

This game is soooo hype and to have the same guys top 8 every time gets kind of boring after awhile.

Audit

Falls down too much
In the UFC the Jackson-Winkeljohn gym is generally considered the best gym to train at. It was never less hype to watch two members fight it out, and many of those have been championship fights. Its about the fighter, not about the team.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Not everyone can live having no job, career, school, etc and can leave home and play 10-12 hours every day

We are kind of at a weird point as a community where to be on top you need to put that extreme amount of time into the game but it's not really practical (profitable I guess) to do so. I don't know how you really solve that problem.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i think yomi brings the hype but at this point in time there seems to be very few people that are playing at the level that they are

you don't have to play 10-12 hours a day. i actually find it that after i play for a certain number of hours in a day i need a break because i start to play worse. kdz won evo, started playing a month and a half into the game, played offline a few times a week and went to tournaments on the weekends. he had a full time job at the time as well. you can say all you want superman this that and the other thing but he was the dude that found all of the shit that was busted about him while the dudes playing that many hours a day were too busy getting mopped by supes

Bryck Walle

Counting the Days for the JCVD Johnny Costume!

When I made that post I meant no disrespect. My point is still firm though. For us to see less YOMI vs YOMI in top 8, people have got to level up and get better at the game and beat them. Again, while I do respect the shite out of the YOMI guys for being so damn good at the game, it isn't the hypest to see them 6 or so of the top 8. But hey, just my 2 cents.

Embestone

Stoen
Well, I'm just one person, but here is how Yomi was good for me and how I believe it is good for the scene. First off, I live in South Carolina, a state with no scene whatsoever. All my fighting game experience across all titles I've played are nothing but experience from playing online, and watching the pros play. So, when I heard Yomi making a ruckus in Atlanta, I knew I had to try and go, I knew it was my best chance to see where I stood compared to some of the best. I woke up a Tuesday morning, worked, took a shower and drove 2 and a half hours to Atlanta in order to play against the best. It was rough for me, I went 23 hours with no sleep. However, it was worth it and if Yomi wasn't a thing, I doubt I would have ever played this game competitively offline. So if there is one thing Yomi can do for the scene, that is to encourage people to come out of their caves, and try them selves against the best offline, where the game is true.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

i think yomi brings the hype but at this point in time there seems to be very few people that are playing at the level that they are

you don't have to play 10-12 hours a day. i actually find it that after i play for a certain number of hours in a day i need a break because i start to play worse. kdz won evo, started playing a month and a half into the game, played offline a few times a week and went to tournaments on the weekends. he had a full time job at the time as well. you can say all you want superman this that and the other thing but he was the dude that found all of the shit that was busted about him while the dudes playing that many hours a day were too busy getting mopped by supes
Yea but you're not playing at the level required that I'm speaking about. Most who do well do well because they play MUs for hours and know them inside and out

KDZ example is based on pre patch superman because look how that turned out after the patch. However I give him massive props finding and it running it down people throats .

Sorry but me being able to play 2-4 hours a week is not what I was doing in mk9/inj

YOMI guys literally live there w no responsibilities or jobs. And no sweeping YOMI floors is not what I'm talking about in terms of priorities and job /career . Getting to lab, play MUs all day like they are is what I did when most successful and what they're doing .

How's this even arguable

Also doesn't help me I don't have a controller still to this day that works

champdee

Noob
na doesn't kill the hype for me, helps the game evolve more,and forces other scenes to levelup more imo (if that's what the op is getting at)

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Yea but you're not playing at the level required that I'm speaking about. Most who do well do well because they play MUs for hours and know them inside and out

KDZ example is based on pre patch superman because look how that turned out after the patch. However I give him massive props finding and it running it down people throats .

Sorry but me being able to play 2-4 hours a week is not what I was doing in mk9/inj

YOMI guys literally live there w no responsibilities or jobs. And no sweeping YOMI floors is not what I'm talking about in terms of priorities and job /career . Getting to lab, play MUs all day like they are is what I did when most successful and what they're doing .

How's this even arguable

Also doesn't help me I don't have a controller still to this day that works

im not playing at the level you're speaking about because ive only really owned the game for like 2 and a half weeks. there are a lot of really good players that dont put in 80 hours a week to place in top 16 or top 8. i dont even think the guys in question play that much. based on what i hear from them they're fucking around in atlanta/on the road more than training for tournament

Pig Of The Hut

im not playing at the level you're speaking about because ive only really owned the game for like 2 and a half weeks. there are a lot of really good players that dont put in 80 hours a week to place in top 16 or top 8. i dont even think the guys in question play that much. based on what i hear from them they're fucking around in atlanta/on the road more than training for tournament
Well THE top 16 people you speak of arent very good plain and simple especially the ones that play very little because it shows.

Top 16at Northeast and MWC events so far does not = top 16 at CB

Also Yomi + Sonic + Dizzy are all really good.

After that it's bracketology 101

DJT/MIT are the ones winning in YOMI right now and no one in atlanta or yomi is doing option select cancels yet

edit:
@RM Jonnitti fixed my 2nd sentence to make sense

DOUBLE EDIT:

@RM Jonnitti in fact NO SCENE is doing option select cancels yet. Only player i know who does them 99% is dizzy. Hell Big D didnt even know what they were till yesterday. Our scene sucks man compared to SF and capcom. They wouldnt stand for this. YOMI people who live there and get the opportunity to do absolutely nothing but level up should have these 100% down by now, its pretty much a blow up they havent yet,,

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Well THE top 16 people you speak of arent very good plain and simple especially the ones that play very little because it shows.

Top 16at Northeast and MWC events so far does not = top 16 at CB

Also Yomi + Sonic + Dizzy are all really good.

After that it's bracketology 101

DJT/MIT are the ones winning in YOMI right now and no one in atlanta or yomi is doing option select cancels yet

edit:
@RM Jonnitti fixed my 2nd sentence to make sense

DOUBLE EDIT:

@RM Jonnitti in fact NO SCENE is doing option select cancels yet. Only player i know who does them 99% is dizzy. Hell Big D didnt even know what they were till yesterday. Our scene sucks man compared to SF and capcom. They wouldnt stand for this. YOMI people who live there and get the opportunity to do absolutely nothing but level up should have these 100% down by now, its pretty much a blow up they havent yet,,
i dont think that most of the people that placed top 16 at combo breaker play that much. i dont even know if reo owned the game at the time. also sure as hell justin wong doesnt play that much

Pig Of The Hut

i dont think that most of the people that placed top 16 at combo breaker play that much. i dont even know if reo owned the game at the time. also sure as hell justin wong doesnt play that much
If Justin Wong doesnt "play that much" w him streaming april 14th - June 1st 5-6 hours a day then dude...........I DONT EVEN PLAY THIS GAME

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
DOUBLE EDIT:

@RM Jonnitti in fact NO SCENE is doing option select cancels yet. Only player i know who does them 99% is dizzy. Hell Big D didnt even know what they were till yesterday. Our scene sucks man compared to SF and capcom. They wouldnt stand for this. YOMI people who live there and get the opportunity to do absolutely nothing but level up should have these 100% down by now, its pretty much a blow up they havent yet,,[/QUOTE]

i will go far enough to say that everyone who is serious about winning in this game should have it by now. i dont have them down now because im not that serious about winning.