What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Straight rush down and range. Prime example, tarkatan alien
Rushdown I could see. I had a Liu Kang giving me the business. You just stand up to get knocked back down and even if you get lucky and phase, he's right back on top of you before you can do anything. A good back dash helped...sort of.

nugava

Noob
I go for f4d1 in the netural. You can hit confirm into 2 for a launch or a smoke away if you input f4d1 fast enough
Can someone confirm that ? Because I can't fucking react when the d1 hits. When it's blocked, ok, but on hit, I can't... I never use f4d1...
The only strings I use are
f13
f43
b2
b21
b214
f21
b1
b3
Sometimes f34

Last edited:
Can someone confirm that ? Because I can't fucking react when the d1 hits. When it's blocked, ok, but on hit, I can't... I never use f4d1...
The only strings I use are
f13
f43
b2
b21
b214
f21
b1
b3
Sometimes f34
Yes. Right when d1 hits the head is when I input either fade away or 2. On hit or block. Why wouldn't you use it? It's -3 on block and second safest string of f4. No gap also like f4,3

Can we tech a grab after someone grabs you on smoke forward?

I'm doing f4d1 smoke forward with reversal grab and I can't do anything to stop it..

Noob
Guys i know this has probably been discussed but can anyone tell the real frames no ex smoke bomb cause it aint +8

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Guys i know this has probably been discussed but can anyone tell the real frames no ex smoke bomb cause it aint +8
It is you just have to get used to the light blockstun it has.

Just go into training mode and test beating Cassie's reversal flip kick with f42 to get the feeling for it. You just have to be on point with your next string after its blocked.

Noob
It is you just have to get used to the light blockstun it has.

Just go into training mode and test beating Cassie's reversal flip kick with f42 to get the feeling for it. You just have to be on point with your next string after its blocked.
Man it really doesnt feel liek it is, but ill take your word for it lol ill hit pratice i guess

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Man it really doesnt feel liek it is, but ill take your word for it lol ill hit pratice i guess
The block stun on it is weird and you have to commit to your next string to frame trap if the opponent is mashing.

There's a few option selects you can do to help tho. Like ex smoke bomb b21 bf1(on the original side you were on) if b21 is blocked u just get the string, if the smoke bomb hits you'll teleport on the same side and spear will confirm.

Another one is just holding up after ex smoke bomb. A deep njp is quite plus and can frame trap into f2. You can still be anti aired, but if the opponent is mashing other buttons you'll either punish them or force them to block.

Hope this helps!!!!

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
The block stun on it is weird and you have to commit to your next string to frame trap if the opponent is mashing.

There's a few option selects you can do to help tho. Like ex smoke bomb f21 bf1(on the original side you were on) if f21 is blocked u just get the string, if the smoke bomb hits you'll teleport on the same side and spear will confirm.

Another one is just holding up after ex smoke bomb. A deep njp is quite plus and can frame trap into f2. You can still be anti aired, but if the opponent is mashing other buttons you'll either punish them or force them to block.

Hope this helps!!!!
Do you mean b21?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.

There's a few option selects you can do to help tho. Like ex smoke bomb f21 bf1(on the original side you were on) if f21 is blocked u just get the string, if the smoke bomb hits you'll teleport on the same side and spear will confirm.

Hope this helps!!!!
The NJP after ex smoke bomb is what I've been doing. Not one person has tried to do anything other than down poke or armor. I've also been catching people with b3 and throw after.

Noob

There's a few option selects you can do to help tho. Like ex smoke bomb b21 bf1(on the original side you were on) if b21 is blocked u just get the string, if the smoke bomb hits you'll teleport on the same side and spear will confirm.

Hope this helps!!!!
Its very weird feeling... ill get used to it regardless but yeah =S... Another question i have for you guys is, and please bear with me this might be super obvious but since i started with Cysub now it feels weird to play smoke:

1.Does he have any reliable wake up? as far as i can see the Ex smoke dash is somewhat his only option, im i wrong?
2. What is Air Smoke Storm for? for the life of me i cannot figure out why this is a move to begin with? maybe its the most broken thing ever and i just cant figure it out...

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Its very weird feeling... ill get used to it regardless but yeah =S... Another question i have for you guys is, and please bear with me this might be super obvious but since i started with Cysub now it feels weird to play smoke:

1.Does he have any reliable wake up? as far as i can see the Ex smoke dash is somewhat his only option, im i wrong?
2. What is Air Smoke Storm for? for the life of me i cannot figure out why this is a move to begin with? maybe its the most broken thing ever and i just cant figure it out...
1. Ex smoke is our only wake up option.
2. Air Smoke has very little purpose outside of damage and maybe corner positioning but there are better options than that. I tend to use it as an air to air when I remember I have the thing

Redux

Ex Phase

I only use air smoke storm when I'm near the corner and am ending the combo for damage and not the restand. It's +16 so that's enough to run forwards a bit to bait wake up or anything.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
I agree that it is odd, at first, to feel the +8 of EX Smoke Bomb. Smoke can move a lot sooner than it looks, like people have been mentioning.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
I only use air smoke storm when I'm near the corner and am ending the combo for damage and not the restand. It's +16 so that's enough to run forwards a bit to bait wake up or anything.
Same here, currently. I do like it in the corner, when I've gone for a max damage Combo instead of the vortex. Plenty of hit advantage to bait WU/block the opponent.

I also don't think it's bad to end mid screen combos with, say, F43-Air Throw, sending the opponent full screen. Like when you have a large life lead and just want to force the opponent to come to you. Good damaging combo ender. Looks awesome, too.

Noob
1. Ex smoke is our only wake up option.
2. Air Smoke has very little purpose outside of damage and maybe corner positioning but there are better options than that. I tend to use it as an air to air when I remember I have the thing
I thought so... oh well im a defensive player so i guess i can still do my thing... as for the Air Smoke yeah i just dunno about this thing but it does look cool LOL, Thanks for the knowledge

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Figured I would ask you guys because I'm having an issue fighting Smoke.

The EX Phase, is it like an instant WU or something? Any time I get some corner pressure my friend just EX Phases on WU and now I'm in the corner. Feel like I'm missibg out on something or doing something wrong. Is there a counter measure to this if I predict he will EX Phase on WU, or will he just be safe on the other side?

I use CSZ and Alien if that matters.

xZoro

War God.
Figured I would ask you guys because I'm having an issue fighting Smoke.

The EX Phase, is it like an instant WU or something? Any time I get some corner pressure my friend just EX Phases on WU and now I'm in the corner. Feel like I'm missibg out on something or doing something wrong. Is there a counter measure to this if I predict he will EX Phase on WU, or will he just be safe on the other side?

I use CSZ and Alien if that matters.
As CSZ Put the bomb down and scare him into phasing and punish.
With alien just keep him stood up and youre golden.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I heard Smoke has Frame Traps. Someone explain please.
I only know how SF frame traps work. MKs areally kinda goofy

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
As CSZ Put the bomb down and scare him into phasing and punish.
With alien just keep him stood up and youre golden.
As CSZ punish how? Say if I do a F2 ender into IceBomb, I'll go for the mixup, but upon pushing a button he'll WU EX Phase behind me and I whiff. Feel like if I delay it he blocks anyway. How would I punish in this situation it I read he will WU EX Phase after F2~LowIce~B3?

Acidic it isn't a problem because I end in puddle, but when I play Konjurer I can't restand. I usually end in hard KD into free Hugger, but when I follow up I whiff because of EX Phase and then I'm in the corner. Same scenario, if I read he'll WU with it what can I do to punish it?

nugava

Noob
I heard Smoke has Frame Traps. Someone explain please.
I only know how SF frame traps work. MKs areally kinda goofy
Every MKX character has frames traps.
First thing that comes to me is his 1112 string.
Your opponent will never know when you'll end the string, which means you can do: 1, 11, 111, 1112 and add a smoke bomb after each 1... Do a throw after you stop... Poke, do another 1, or a low/overhead mixup...
b21 is that weird side switching string that can be ducked or armored out... You can just do the b2 into nothing if you want to mess up their inputs if they try to armor... Or do b2 spear... b2 EX spear... b2 EX smoke bomb... That's an idea of MKX frames traps... Basically, strings you stop to bait the opponent or to take another advantage...
Another example... You'll end in a restand, but you're sure your opponent will jump the smoke bomb if he blocks the overhead or low mix up, you can do b1 (or b3) and not do the smoke bomb afterwise and NJP to catch their jump out... (That's maybe too deep of a Yomi and I don't know if it's realistic and what will happen if they get hit by the mix up... And that defies the purpose of the restand... But well that came in my mind and I needed to get it out...)

I am sure people will explain this better than me...