What's new

General/Other - Drunken Master XL Drunken Master Discussion Thread

NooBooN

I Am Thee Noob Saibot
Maybe a dumb question but what's the difference between meditate, and zen?
I was trying 2 figure that out lol
I thought maybe it was more plus but the frame data is all the same
Zen has invincible startup frames. For example is you are canceling your strings with mediate and they start stuffing it, you do the ex zen version for bait punish.

Im still testing it further. So far only been tested on subzeros slide
After further testing seems to be useless nonetheless timing is tight and you can still get stuffed if they're trying to punish with strings. Ill look into it further. Not good as a wake up either. Would be solid if it had armour

Last edited:

Darumm

Noob
So far I found that with zen you can punish armored reversals that would be impossible with meditate.
For example, if you set reptile to do reversal with Slippery Slide, you can do 4xxZen 3 and full combo punish him, IIRC it works with B23 and other strings with gaps too but I haven't fully tested.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I finally took Bartitsu into some online matches...

Zoners are a problem. Even mediocre zoning characters. Between his terrible mobility, shitty forward advancing moves, and no projectile. He's going to have to work hard in those MUs.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
So this is how ive approached BRC (DM) so far. Its been going ok i guess. I just gotta lv up

Neutral: f2,1 sexy pose/roll to bait or b2,3,4 because of the push back or stagger 1,1

I punish with 3,4,1

My bnbs usually end with ex fart i.e
341-rc12xxdb4-ji2-413u4-d4xxexfart 29%

Then you got options after exfart
You can go for 50/50
F3 1+3 or B3 1+3 i.e
Starter- ji2- 413u4-njp-111xxfb4 37%
So essentially you get 66% for one bar. You can also loop exfart and keep your opponent in the blender.
Or instead of the 50/50 u can f1 to armor break depending on your position on the screen

This is something i posted on the general discussion thread

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Been messing with DM exclusively thus far and here is what I know.

Without drinks, his sweep (b4 hold D) grants him access to all the moves he would have in meditate. He always has access to this moveset. While drunk, he can special cancel strings into meditate for extended combos or a guessing game on block strings. Zen (ex dd3) has invincibility on the way down and is much faster. This can be used to bait counter pokes or reversals.

ex dd3 roll is all invincible till he stands back up. This could be a good get away move, wakeup move even? Still testing but this is what I know.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
DM biggest problem is the throw up cooldown. If you get comboed after taking a drink say bye bye.
Yeah I know what you mean. You can jump when the timer runs out to negate puking. I've also found that connecting with a throw will stun your opponent enough that your back in neutral.

I'm still trying to decide if the drink mechanic is worth it and in turn the variation as a whole but there's no better feeling than when you whiff punish something after a roll.

omooba

fear the moobs
What you mean?
Compared to pred, his range sucks lol
Also I feel like this variation is pretty bad, really fun though. My reason is you do not get enough out of sexy pose for it to be worth the vomit. What I think would help is if the cooldown was increased to where you're not fucked if you get combod. Also his strings could be better. Feel like he's supposed to be staggering at random points and using f1 to punish but all his strings are negative

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Breakthrough...

Every time I use bump and dump and take the drink, I can usually mix up my opponent with a string into dd3. On hit I go into the 3 launcher and on block I go into roll to stay safe.

One bump and dump can change the entire pace of the match.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Breakthrough...

Every time I use bump and dump and take the drink, I can usually mix up my opponent with a string into dd3. On hit I go into the 3 launcher and on block I go into roll to stay safe.

One bump and dump can change the entire pace of the match.
I've been trying to do the same, B12 seems to work best for me. A lot of the time I'll get poked out but it's always worth a go.

Just got absolutely stomped by a Lackey F/T. Oh DM why do you do this to me? How can I hate the and love the at the same time.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I also feel like DM Bo could be the time out KING.

B4 into evade can keep him from taking damage while choosing his opportunity to strike.

Was playing a C sub earlier and had a few wins like this.

Percimon

Sky above, Voice within
Armor crush fart setup in the corner (DOESN'T work with ex-spin of Kung Lao):

Corner 30%-38% meterless combos (no dd1 setup):

Inputs:
1) b322, 21, 3, db4, dd1, dd1, b233, dd3, 3, 12, db1, dd1 - 34%;
2) 21, 3, df2, 3, df2, f1, db2 - 38%; (in this combo you can do df2 instead of db2 and you'll get 3x puke combo :D but damage will be 34%)
3) 341, jump in + 1, 3, db4, dd1, dd1, b233, dd3, 3, NJP, 12, db1, dd1 - 38%;
4) 21, NJP, jump in + 1, 21, 21, f1, db2 - 35%;
5) 21, jump in + 1, jump in + 1, 3, db4, dd1, dd1, b233, dd3, 3, 12, db1, dd1 - 36%;
6) 21, 3, df2, 3, df2, d1, db2 - 35%

Last edited: