What's new

General/Other - Mournful Why Mournful is Potentially Kitty's Best Variant.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Lmao I feel dumb for mentioning jax. I take the L for that.

But I just tested raiden and I'm punishing with f1
Yeah, I said Raiden. I also said you have to be hitting pretty close. With any sort of distance, you can't. It's range-specific on the punish.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I'm confused...?
Kitana does ex shadow kick and it goes right thru cassie. Literally right thru her and she doesn't even get touched. The same thing is happening with mileena too.

I'm gonna test a male. Gimme a sec

Edit: it's happening against reptile too. This weird. Regular shadow kick doesn't have this effect but ex does

haketh

Noob
Glaive having such high startup makes sense & it's still a great zoning tool due to that, it's -3 POINT BLANK, any distance past that & it's plus on block & pretty easy to control real estate after. With that said I used to believe Mourful was pointblank better but after all the buffs to RS I think it's pretty even, don't know who to give the edge to myself.

xKhaoTik

Add shinnok to the list of who can punish.

O and I'm not trying to make it seem like shadow kick is a bad move. Its amazing. Just a punishable amazing move lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Kitana does ex shadow kick and it goes right thru cassie. Literally right thru her and she doesn't even get touched. The same thing is happening with mileena too.

I'm gonna test a male. Gimme a sec

Edit: it's happening against reptile too. This weird. Regular shadow kick doesn't have this effect but ex does
I tried, and this didn't happen.

Also, I couldn't get Shinnok to punish.

xKhaoTik

I tried, and this didn't happen.

Also, I couldn't get Shinnok to punish.
I did standing 2 with mileena, d1 with cassie and standing 2 with shinnok and reptile while kitana on set reversal eclipse kick.

And shinnok can punish with f4. It's pretty tight tho. I just managed to get it 2/5 times. Both times with my back to the corner

gam224

The world's least hype player
Too much work for too little reward, that's mournful right there. The time put into mournful Kitana can be better spent by just learning posessed Kenshi or another zoner.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Hmmm...I see some misinformation in this thread from people who clearly dont know a thing about Mournful.

I've gone on record WELL before her much needed buffs that Mournful was clearly her most viable variation. I mean...the frame data on her glaives alone combined with her safety and meter building capabilities...

Mournful is teetering (spelling?) right on the line of top ten-ville.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I'll always prefer Royal Storm, but if I find myself struggling in a certain MU (D'Vorah for example) that a switch to Mournful makes my life a lot easier.

Both variations have their advantages and I really think it comes down in equal measure to personal preference and the specific MU, like I'd much rather fight Kung Jin with RS.

That being said, it's probably in any Kitana main's best interest to have a strong understanding of both.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I'll always prefer Royal Storm, but if I find myself struggling in a certain MU (D'Vorah for example) that a switch to Mournful makes my life a lot easier.

Both variations have their advantages and I really think it comes down in equal measure to personal preference and the specific MU, like I'd much rather fight Kung Jin with RS.

That being said, it's probably in any Kitana main's best interest to have a strong understanding of both.
This!

What I should have said in my post above is the duo of RS and Mournful can and will handle every MU in the game.

It's a very diverse yet strong duo of variants that most characters do not have this luxury in one character.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
shadow kick aside the pressure is good but dvorah is screwed because her armor moves suck. any one with a decent one can armor between the exglave before it returns. It still good tho. this is the variation i prefer myself. I force myself to use RS. Good ish tho.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Let's not get too many people on the Mournful bandwagon until after NRS is done patching the game... I really like the way Mournful plays right now and don't want to see anything get nerfed due to "over use!"

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Let's not get too many people on the Mournful bandwagon until after NRS is done patching the game... I really like the way Mournful plays right now and don't want to see anything get nerfed due to "over use!"
Don't you do YT? I think I saw one of your videos of Survivor Ladder with Queen Kitty.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
eh, the only reason i kind of don't like mournful is because it feels very meter reliant
Kind of the same reason I never liked Takeda fully. I like playing him, but almost everything needs meter to combo. You'll spend two bars trying to get 40-50%, and that's with the EX kunai. In Ronin and Lasher, you'll spend 3 for about the same.