What's new

General/Other - Mournful Why Mournful is Potentially Kitty's Best Variant.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Trust me I think RS is very good and very well end up being her best but I'm tired of people downplaying mournful so here's my breakdown.

REASONS YOU DONT SEE MOURNFUL
-Royal Storm is COMPLETELY VIABLE and can easily hold its own in every match. And is better in some MUs
- many Kitana players are passionate and say fuck jade.
- or jade players are salty and are like fuck kitana

PROS OF MOURNFUL
• 12 Frame PARTIALLY SAFE shadow kick.
- Pre patch this move was 14f and I thought it was good but needed something to be great. The faster start up really helped. It allow us to jail it from d1 which was a big deal since shadow kick is a high. Many could just d1.
- the hit box of this move is REALLY GOOD so it makes a great anti air and a great GTF off me tool. Pair this with the zoning in this variation you're gonna wish you were playing against Royal Storm.

• The SAFER MID Glaive.
- Though she doesn't get 30%+ off of it i say being mid is an okay trade off. The recovery is also better than fan toss
- AND ITS MID. So now you don't have to worry about them ducking it and leaving at even more disadvantage. Then that opens up them taking more risk like running or jumping.

• The OVERHEAD air glaive.
- I'd say since they buffed the recovery on air glaive and made the EX version launch air glaive are one of the best projectiles in the game.
- Jump back air glaives is really annoying to deal with because it makes you want to run in or jump in. But one wrong read such as you running in I can Jump back float NJP full combo or if you jump I can AA shadow kick now you're full screen or jump back two.
- air glaives is really good at neutralizing your opponents movement in the 3/4 screen to mid screen range.
- from mid screen you can also convert off an anti air air glaive with run up d1 or shadow kick

• THE ZONING IN GENERAL
- Sure the other 2 variants get 30% off a projectile BUT are they mid.
- Sure glaives are 20+ frames BUT can fans hit you from the very bottom corner of the screen from 2 angles
- Mournful zoning is super overlooked people just say jump the glaives but they forgot shadow kick, or Duck shadow kick but they for get f2 that launches for 29%, then they say jump back then you have EX glaive or Up glaives then you can convert for a bar. Then there are jump back air glaives to runaway with.

OTHER THINGS
- She gets a REAL 50/50 off a jump in
- F22u4 becomes truly safe due to Air glaive
- Really good pressure with 21 and ex glaives
- Decent Oki set Ups
- Good anti zoning/get in tools with EX shadow, EX glaives and air glaives

CONS OF MOURNFUL
- Though I made it seem 30% of a projectile is no big deal. Trust it is and its a GREAT reason why one would miss Royal storm or Assassin
- the Damage. This is another GREAT REASON to use the other two. Believe me i miss doing 52% with a bar. And since her Damage nerf, finding damage with mournful is harder. At most off your 8f punisher you get 29% meterless, 32% of your 10f mid, and 20%-27% of your footsie tool. which isn't terrible but your just so spoiled by RS's damage you feel handicapped. Mournful can't even get a 50% for 3 Bars. And the damage is gonna come less often since mournfuls damage comes from mainly punishes. But on the bright side for a bar you will average 35-41%.

And those are my thoughts about mournful what are y'all s opinions?

Last edited:

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
All true and the chip/meter you get from glaives kind of makes up for her lack of damage, though 40% with 1 bar is hardly low. Oh and you didn't even mention ex staff, which is beastly for counter poking, AA and checking people after block strings.

Shadow kick is great mid screen but like MK9s cutter, people will eventually full combo you for trying it too much.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
All true and the chip/meter you get from glaives kind of makes up for her lack of damage, though 40% with 1 bar is hardly low. Oh and you didn't even mention ex staff, which is beastly for counter poking, AA and checking people after block strings.

Shadow kick is great mid screen but like MK9s cutter, people will eventually full combo you for trying it too much.
I mostly use shadow kick as an AA or when I see forward movement.

Mournful is all I play these days. The air glance throws people off balance and once they work around it in comes a shadow kick to add more confusion. I feel as though I can set people up to block then run in and catch them with b1,4,db1 for a juggle.

Maybe it just fits my play style, but I'm having more fun with mournful than I did with anyone in mk9.

Mournful is all I play these days. The air glance throws people off balance and once they work around it in comes a shadow kick to add more confusion. I feel as though I can set people up to block then run in and catch them with b1,4,db1 for a juggle.

Maybe it just fits my play style, but I'm having more fun with mournful than I did with anyone in mk9.
Glaive, not glance

LEGEND

YES!
I'll take a 6% high projectile with fast startup than a 5% mid with shit startup, throwing glaves at 3/4ths screen is super risky vs too much of the cast. In addition Mournful doesn't give your opponent a reason to stay out of the air, which is the single most powerful tool a character can have in this game imo

Mournful obviously is way better up close. But it's zoning, space control and damage are all way worse than Royal Storm. Only really found it to be better in the Quan and Sub Zero mu

LEGEND

YES!
Yeah I shouldnt have said safe

Cassie lao and reptile can rervsal
And I'm sure jax and raiden can punish

I apologize
NO, Don't apologize. 4 characters can MAYBE punish lol

Even if Raiden and Jax can punish it's a just frame on a move with weird blockstun, not going to happen. And reptile gets what? 6% who cares?

If cassie can flip kick then we have one character in the game who it's bad on block against. Nbd

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
NO, Don't apologize. 4 characters can MAYBE punish lol

Even if Raiden and Jax can punish it's a just frame on a move with weird blockstun, not going to happen. And reptile gets what? 6% who cares?

If cassie can flip kick then we have one character in the game who it's bad on block against. Nbd
What.

Raiden F1 is 5f. Jax OH dash is 5f. Two very quick combo starters with range.
Cassie can ex flip kick or do run 21 starter, which her 2 is 5f.
Reptile can punish with ex dash, which is a 7f combo starter.

Those are what I know for sure. Plenty of characters can get a f4 check ON hit, which means they can start their pressure.

Not safe.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's punishable
It's only full-cast punishable if you duck it. Point blank, I only got Raiden, Sub, and Reptile to get a meaningful punish. At all other ranges, just don't even try to punish unless you're Reptile.

EDIT: YOU LISTED JAX OH DASH PUNCH. AS 5 FRAMES. DUDE, I KNOW YOU UNDERSTAND THE FRAME DATA BETTER THAN THAT.

Raiden's f1 isn't 5 frames either. Not that it matters, since it's just 6 lmao.

I don't think you actually tested. You just looked at old frame data lol. The move has reelback on block now.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
It's only full-cast punishable if you duck it. Point blank, I only got Raiden, Sub, and Reptile to get a meaningful punish. At all other ranges, just don't even try to punish unless you're Reptile.

EDIT: YOU LISTED JAX OH DASH PUNCH. AS 5 FRAMES. DUDE, I KNOW YOU UNDERSTAND THE FRAME DATA BETTER THAN THAT.

Raiden's f1 isn't 5 frames either. Not that it matters, since it's just 6 lmao.

I don't think you actually tested. You just looked at old frame data lol.
Lmao I feel dumb for mentioning jax. I take the L for that.

But I just tested raiden and I'm punishing with f1