What's new

Question Why don't players use feints more at high level?

except he didnt jump because of the feint, he jumped because of a high fb read, the feint kept him from punishing that bad read
I just slowed it down in Sony Vegas Pro, and CDjr did in fact jump a few frames after he feinted with standing 3. That was good read that would've got him in Kang's face where he wants to be. Not to mention he would've been cornered. Jr didn't immediately jump after he got up. He reacted to the standing 3.

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Freddy has a really good one. His standing 2 looks alot like glove toss, if you mix it in alot you catch people out of the air with mid spike. I dunno why people jump his zoning full screen lol that's what you want your opponent to do lol.

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
the best feint in this game though is wiff jumpkick into tele with kung, they will never have enough time to dash away and punish because they thought it was a dive kick.

The only thing I do with Kitana is when I'm zoning, I'll dash block in a bit, and see what they do.
Sometimes ill d3 when they are knocked down so it whiffs and i have enough time to block and see what theydo.

With sindel levi cancels are cool too

But in street fighter, i tapped down a lot (kinda like teabagging, to psyche them out)

and in tournaments, like if they are gonna wake up, like i shake my controller a lil bit to psyche them out also haha

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
NW standing 1. faster recovery and duration than all d3 and the shortest duration move in the game.

People dont use them in MK much because durations in MK are much longer than traditional fighting games. Street fighter you might have a 5 frame attack that has a duration of 15 frames total or less. in MK the shortest duration move is NW standing 1 at 19 frames with most d3 at 20 frames.

The answer to your question is...its dangerous

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
NW standing 1. faster recovery and duration than all d3 and the shortest duration move in the game.

People dont use them in MK much because durations in MK are much longer than traditional fighting games. Street fighter you might have a 5 frame attack that has a duration of 15 frames total or less. in MK the shortest duration move is NW standing 1 at 19 frames with most d3 at 20 frames.

That's exactly what I noticed..

This is the answer to your question K.O.E_18.

At a distance it's not that bad but over all it's not that good.

Even with Street Fighter it's dangerous. Jabs have a 3f startup, and a duration of 10f or less. Even with the speed of the move, you can still be swept giving your opponent a hard knockdown. It's about knowing your ranges.

That's exactly what I noticed..

This is the answer to your question K.O.E_18.

At a distance it's not that bad but over all it's not that good.
When I first played MK9 I instantly knew that it was a slower game compared to other 2d fighters. It's essentially a 3d fighter with no sidestepping, but it has 2d jump mechanics.

You never want to feint in your opponents face, unless your feeling really ballsy lol. It's character specific because you must know your character, and your opponent's ranges.

So, wait, i'm still confused with terminology....

If you are the best at this, are you a master-feinter or a master-baiter?
Nice one lol.

Feint - Just fishing for a reaction; Not really looking to punish.

Bait - A trap that pursuades your opponent to do something; usually a punishable move.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
K.O.E_18, Feinting with Ermac works beautifully. When in TKP range i always use 1, 2 B2 cancels, or even iaFB's, to bait opponents and punish any mistakes they do afterwards. I believe many of my recorded matches contain that.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Ermac...get in range of tkp....whiff standing 1....the let go of block to advance/do some other special and BAM! TKP your face! Hell..thats one application... zaf mentioned it awhile back and it works wonderfully to freak people out.

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
Yeah it elps Scorp a lot because he gets damage and setups from AA.
totally and you also get to burn for free if they dont respect th
is
Ermac...get in range of tkp....whiff standing 1....the let go of block to advance/do some other special and BAM! TKP your face! Hell..thats one application... zaf mentioned it awhile back and it works wonderfully to freak people out.
this and d1 to feign force ball especially when corner zoning, it's too good.

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
I use shang tsungs fast elbow for this, I'll elbow really close to an opponent, anticipating them trying to jump punch in, then use a 1,2,1, combo to swifly move myself under their jump, then i have a choice of counters after their momentum is mangled such as d,u,4 or a vertical jump punch, or my favorite just walking backwards -wait for their jump kick or advance and sweep right before they hit the floor :). It has kind of a 'schooling' feeling to it, definately breaks people's morales lol

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Depends on the character in this game really. The duration on Kitana, Jade, and Sheeva's normals are like 80000000000 frames though so if you feint you can basically get punished full screen.

Spamming down with Sheeva is great though to bait a teleport or unsafe special.

SyXX

Yolo is Power
@0:48 After throwing a few High FB's, he uses standing 3 instead of throwing the High FB, and it causes CDjr to jump. It recovers 7f faster than High FB.
Looks like he just missed an input on a low fireball....

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I do this at times including my match again Justin Wong, it's very situational for me though. Unlike SF or something like it MK has strings that propel you forward, teleports/moves that close full screen distances quickly and a bunch of other stuff. So just throwing out normals for baits has the potential to be damaging to you more than anything.

you can't go whiffing anything. look up duration in the frame data. you will see that the fastest possible normal in the game is 20 frames.
knowing what attacks that are safest on whiff is essential in maximizing your footie game.