What's new

Question Why don't players use feints more at high level?

Seapeople

This one's for you
Randomly going invisible with Reptile or Smoke is a great way to do this.
I've seen a lot of top players do a stance change to cause a reaction as well. And I think Reo even messes up his iagbs on purpose sometimes lol.

It's tough when normals in this game take twice as long as those on street fighter and the game is overall twice as fast in its general feel... Iunno about this but if others have success despite that maybe ill look into it more

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
It's tough when normals in this game take twice as long as those on street fighter and the game is overall twice as fast in its general feel... Iunno about this but if others have success despite that maybe ill look into it more
You play smoke right? Off the top of my head, if you whiffed a sweep from a far range but just close enough to where they might see free pressure, they might dash forward and you could get them with smokebomb.

It is more of a one time gimmick than actual high level tactic though.

You play smoke right? Off the top of my head, if you whiffed a sweep from a far range but just close enough to where they might see free pressure, they might dash forward and you could get them with smokebomb.

It is more of a one time gimmick than actual high level tactic though.
A lot of characters have really normals with really fast recovery like Noob's standing 2.

coolwhip

Noob
I once asked Tom about his usage of B1, and he said he's usually going for an ice clone (D B 1) but it doesn't come out due to the input bug, and he gets B1 instead.

To be specific, I saw him use it as an AA and that's the explanation he gave. So maybe he uses it in other situations as a feint.

Slips said he uses a stance switch with Scorpion to get the opponent to jump so he can anti air them with a spear. He said it can make the opponent think he's going for hellfire.

Foxy and Curbo use Cage's B2 as a feint by cancelling it into F3 or 2,1.

Yeah but if they catch on they wont fall for it and you will just whiff for no reason. You cannot be predictable with it.
Works out well for Noob though. Jumped Shadow=Dead lol.

If he whiffs a 2 or even a b2 and they jump, he can catch them with a shadow or upknee for a combo. That can potentially keep them grounded making his zone safer.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I use it when i know a match is close to its closing and the opponent is at a heightened sense of reactionary skill.

Youd be surprised how many people go nuts when the expect a full screen lowhat,
i throw out a standing 2, they jump and get DKd for my win.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
i use this alot against characters who really have to commit in footsies. For example, against sonyas d4 or cages fwd3 scorpions only real answer is back dash b2, which requires a lot of commitment because it is so slow. Therefore I will throw out like a d3 at around sweep distance and a really on edge scorpion player will go for the b2, which I can then punish. Its very situational, but also very rewarding.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
K.O.E_18
lol thanks man, also the reason why I do d3 is because jax superman punch can reach from mid screen thats why I am also doing that. There are many things I do d3, but mainly for fake low fireball feints.. since the recovery is so bad. I only do it at least full screen.. but by far high fireball is required in that match since instant air doesnt avoid the GP..

K.O.E_18
lol thanks man, also the reason why I do d3 is because jax superman punch can reach from mid screen thats why I am also doing that. There are many things I do d3, but mainly for fake low fireball feints.. since the recovery is so bad. I only do it at least full screen.. but by far high fireball is required in that match since instant air doesnt avoid the GP..
No problem, it was good stuff man :D.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Feints don't guarantee punishes or pressure. They are used to primarily used to cause a desired reaction. If they can get a player like CDjr to jump I'd say they're worth using.
except he didnt jump because of the feint, he jumped because of a high fb read, the feint kept him from punishing that bad read

zaf

professor
If you want to see feints, watch my matches.

Im one of the few people who actually use feints, and it works very well with ermac