What's new

Why 50/50 should never be used in tournaments

chores

bad at things
well just as i was thinking about it.. theres no real 'random button' on the stage select screen, but if you wanted to have a random stage that the players were unaware of until after character selection you could use whatever stage is selected by activating the player 2 select on the level screen. as far as i know that would be truly random.

Vogue

Noob
Fair until proven broken. People are still learning to deal with these things. There was new tech on avoiding interactables on the front page today. We are still seeing consistent winners in the game, the people with the most experience with the game are still winning. Proven tournament players are winning in the game. The stage rules need to be enforced and be made consistent but nothing is even close to being ban worthy in this game. 50/50 , loser can pick new character or choose stage. That is perfectly fair.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
webreg

Still need to look into it but I really haven't seen one yet.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
well just as i was thinking about it.. theres no real 'random button' on the stage select screen, but if you wanted to have a random stage that the players were unaware of until after character selection you could use whatever stage is selected by activating the player 2 select on the level screen. as far as i know that would be truly random.

GGA Dizzy do you think this might work?

Seems like the best option IMO

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
People saying ban metropolis, I feel like they didn't read my post all the way :(

GGA Dizzy do you think this might work?

Seems like the best option IMO
I haven't looked into it fully but that would be a very good option if its truly random. Would eliminate the concern that people would have of counter picking at the select char screen due to seeing the background.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I said this when the game came out and had certain people tell me that it was never a good idea to "ban a feature of the game". But I think it's true; given that stages can really favor certain characters in matchups, it doesn't seem like a good idea to leave it all up to luck.

Also the concerns about Random auto-stage are on-point; If I don't like the random stage I hit back and change my character skin or edit my config again -- it happens all tge time andnobody really says much about it.

When are you going to add Ufgt9 to your MKI rankings man lol

Interactables shouldn't respawn. Total stage interactions should not surpass 50% of of a life bar, so if there are 2 then they each do 25% and if there are 5 then each do 10%.

There should also be a balanced "tournament" stage. I have no idea why the devs never include this if they want their fighter to be competitive in the first place.

RoGE

Noob
Give the stages some time, some people still need to figure out what their character can do to react/maneuver around certain interactables.

chores

bad at things
People saying ban metropolis, I feel like they didn't read my post all the way :(

I haven't looked into it fully but that would be a very good option if its truly random. Would eliminate the concern that people would have of counter picking at the select char screen due to seeing the background.
I am fairly certain it's random. I've played ~1300 player matches online and when I'm player 2 I just double tap A during level select and it comes up on a random level (sometimes even the same level that was selected by default)

Belial

Noob
You guys know you can just backdash the interactibles, right? Also you can focus and get a full combo on closer ranges.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I think the stage should be banned actually, but I lost due to the same exact thing in pools and losers finals of my pool so I am a bit salty about that. I am pretty confident I had a good chance to have made a deeper tournament run based on how casuals went all weekend, but the 4 times playing on that stage probably cost me about 400% of my health (hit by 3-5 each 2 round match).

I used to be the biggest proponent of leaving the game as is and after this weekend I did a complete 180...

webreg

Interactables disabled first match sounds good but seeing as how everyone seems to love interactables (not me) I dunno if this will be implemented.

@people who bring up atlantis first match

I don't like atlantis. Favors gadget chars. That valve is dumb especially if they are a zoner who wants to run away (to the corner)

Interactibles suck.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Hell yeah 50/50 is retarded. There were a couple tournament matches I had where every single match my opponent's level was selected with the 50/50 and I didn't get my level a single time. That means I was being counter-picked the whole tournament set. FUCK THAT.

Everyone needs to just pick Atlantis every match like me and be done with it lol. Atlantis is the fairest stage in the game with the least amount interactables, I always choose this stage no matter what character I am selecting.

But yeah tournaments would be better with random stage every match, if not at least make it loser selects level. 50/50 is bullshit. In my opinion Atlantis should just automatically be used for all tournament matches automatically all the time :D but that's just me
Technically, Metropolis rooftop has the least amount of interactables. Flying robot + big ass wire on the left :p.

Also fuck atlantis, this stage looks ew.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Or are speaking from experience
It just becomes something else, P2 on watchtower has a huge advantage if they are playing runaway, for example. The only way to deal with everything is do away with 50/50.

coolwhip

Noob
Am I the only one who is repeatedly left flustered with how the 50/50 can select the same stage like 129129525 times in a row? I guess it's mathematically possible but it happens a lot.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Technically, Metropolis rooftop has the least amount of interactables. Flying robot + big ass wire on the left :p.

Also fuck atlantis, this stage looks ew.
The robot comes back in a very short amount of time, though...and it gets really annoying.