What's new

Who are the most Overrated and Underrated Characters in MKX?

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Inferno Scorpion has got to be the most overrated character in the game.

I don't read enough threads to know who is considered underrated, but I'm gonna say Takeda. Also, Grandmaster seems to be the go to variation for Sub-Zero, and it's no doubt good, but Unbreakable is better than it gets credit for.

Last edited:
Overrated- Raiden

His combo damage was nerfed, his f1 was made a high (which hurt MOS and Displacer more than TG) and yet everyone is still saying hes #1.

Underrated- Kenshi, Kano, Kitana, Kung Lao

These characters are amazing, stop.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Overrated: Sonya, Erron Black Outlaw

Underrated: Dvorah, Ferra Torr, Jax, Jacqui Shotgun, Liu Kang DF, JC

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Johnny has potential for most slept on character in the game in terms for his potential to usage ratio. DJT doing ok showcasing some of what he can do now though.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
Overrated:
Scorpion (Hellfire)
From what i've read here and hear from steams SZ was considered imba and i personaly think he is just Mediocore at most
D'Vorah
Quan Chi (After the Demon Spawn normalize ... he is just ok)

Underrated:
Reptile (all Variations) - its just kids who can't put effort or don't have patience that downplay him.
Kenshi
Kano
Kitana
Ermac(Spectral)
Takeda (Ryu) This Variation has nice range / poke / footsies /Whiff Punish blablablablabla ... people just want him to be a tunnel vision like KJ or Sonya and thats why the whine like b***ches.
Goro
Johnny Cage

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Over- quan
In a game where wakeups and viable armor are two of the most important things, he has neither.

Under- Goro
In a game where wakeups and viable armor are two of the most important things, he has both

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I take it by "make good reads against Covert Ops", you mean guessing between low, overhead, or throw. Good luck with that.

--------------------------

Overrated: Erron Black (Outlaw)

Underrated: Sonya (Covert Ops), Kung Lao, Johnny Cage (Fisticuffs)

Outlaw Erron Black has many gaps, and nobody, not even the top players, are exploiting that. Covert Ops Sonya is the queen of the 50/50s, and she has an overhead parry that means 9-12% damage to the attacker, plus a divekick with just 8 frames of recovery. Imagine making it whiff, trying to punish afterwards, and not being able to. It's ridiculous, and it happened to me. Johnny Cage has very good pressure, and we all saw what Fisticuffs can do in the corner. Kung Lao doesn't have a low starter, and that doesn't mean he's not capable of completely destroying someone.

When I say "underrated", I'm not asking for nerfs; I just want people to acknowledge that those characters are very good.
You talk about EBs gaps then leave out Sonyas lol.

She has gaps in almost all of her strings, including the OH low string. THEN she also has a gap between any string into Military stance, where an armor move beats out all of her MS options. Dont get me wrong, she's still good but people are beginning to exploit her weaknesses and that is why you are seeing less of her in tournament.

Also EBs gaps where exploited in the top 8 at TCW. DJT and FK both exploited the gap in f13 sand and also made reads on the 11212 command grab gaps. Even with the gaps Outlaw is still pretty good, although I think Marksman is way better.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Why are people saying hellfire scorpion is overrated? I don't think people are claiming he's top 5 right now but he's in the top 10. What's so overrated about him?

Audit

Falls down too much
Overrated: Kotal

Underrated: Kotal
I LOLed

Overrated: F/T. Defintely not top tier like people say, but good and still waay underplayed for how good they are. I think their Oro of MKX, their worst matchups are against some of the most popular in the game.

Underrated: Jax. Fuck that guy until I main him. Johnny Cage.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Overrated

Sonya - probably top 10 but people are unduly losing their shit over her. I think she's more of an intricate MU to learn than an overwhelming character.

Hollywood Cassie - I mean she's super solid but I think spec ops is where she actually shines. There's nothing that strikes me as crazy about this variation.

Underrated

Marksman Erron Black - I main outlaw but I firmly believe marksman is objectively his best variation. The gun cancels are nuts and people are gonna start kicking ass with them + his multitude of other tools soon, mark my words.

Johnny - but I doubt anyone is gonna argue that after last night.

Kotal Kahn - I don't think anyone thinks he's trash but he's better than people give him credit for. Awesome footsies, solid AA options, good damage. He's a big body but he has so many good advancing normals.

Jason - I might be wrong on this one. Some pf his tools seem gimmicky but I think they're good, and he has good normals and grab game.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
You talk about EBs gaps then leave out Sonyas lol.

She has gaps in almost all of her strings, including the OH low string. THEN she also has a gap between any string into Military stance, where an armor move beats out all of her MS options. Dont get me wrong, she's still good but people are beginning to exploit her weaknesses and that is why you are seeing less of her in tournament.

Also EBs gaps where exploited in the top 8 at TCW. DJT and FK both exploited the gap in f13 sand and also made reads on the 11212 command grab gaps. Even with the gaps Outlaw is still pretty good, although I think Marksman is way better.
I think Covert Ops Sonya and Outlaw Erron Black are pretty similar in terms of tools. I know more about Outlaw because I have mained him for some time. I have to look into those gaps you have told me about. Besides, the reason why I think Covert Ops is underrated and Outlaw overrated is because I have seen the latter in many top 3s, and being called "overpowered" or "easy to use", while Sonya seemed to go completely unnoticed. If people considered Outlaw and Covert Ops on the same level, I wouldn't say one is overrated and the other is not.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I find it funny how people think Takeda is weak, his teleport into NJP is so annoying at times and don't get me started on the range and safeness...

Scorpion his inferno IMHO needs some nerfing, I love Scorp as someone who uses his hellfire variation but honestly, everytime I see an inferno Scorp I roll my eyes because every single one is the same, generic "going go for the easy reset" bs. Was in a KOTH other day, dethroned this guy getting everyone just doing that over and over, no fundamentals, no combos, no tactic just resets all over the place....

But IMO

Overrated -Kung Jin, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Erron Black, Cassie

Underrated- Takeda, Kung Jin, Scorpion, Ermac, Kenshi, Kotal Kahn, Kitana, Goro, Ferra/Torr, Jason and Tanya(her style is seriously like WTF random at times)

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Overrated: Dunno, still too early to tell. A big LOL to someone saying that HF Scorpion is overrated.

Underrated: Jax for sure (especially Wrestler var), F/T (safest character in the game by far), Jason (Relentless and Slasher, both vars are excellent at whiff punishing with high meterless damage and wall carry).

Scorpion is bad, now?

I honestly have no idea how a character who dictates the pace of a match from anywhere on the screen could ever be overrated. Comedy gold.
I don't think anyone said he's bad.

If someone said Hellfire was S tier, I'd listen to their argument. Inferno on the other hand...

It's very limited. Lacks the footsie tools of Ninjitsu, can't pressure like Hellfire, and all he gets is some sub par zoning tools. Block low, react to high, and full screen punish on block.

But the damage is high with low execution, and if you're fighting him online, maybe you can't block his mix ups too well.

Anyway the variation is considered as good as Hellfire when it's not even close, and might be his weakest of the three.

It's not bad. Maybe mid tier. But people are complaining about the wrong thing. They could nerf inferno and i don't think most scorpion players would care

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Quan Chi is overrated. People are already getting better at escaping his mixups and keeping him under constant pressure.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
I find it funny how people think Takeda is weak, his teleport into NJP is so annoying at times and don't get me started on the range and safeness...

Scorpion his inferno IMHO needs some nerfing, I love Scorp as someone who uses his hellfire variation but honestly, everytime I see an inferno Scorp I roll my eyes because every single one is the same, generic "going go for the easy reset" bs. Was in a KOTH other day, dethroned this guy getting everyone just doing that over and over, no fundamentals, no combos, no tactic just resets all over the place....

But IMO

Overrated -Kung Jin, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Erron Black, Cassie

Underrated- Takeda, Kung Jin, Scorpion, Ermac, Kenshi, Kotal Kahn, Kitana, Goro, Ferra/Torr, Jason and Tanya(her style is seriously like WTF random at times)

Takeda is not weak but i do find it funny you used takeda in the same sentence as "safe"...lol
Teleport into njp is only viable on hit .. if you block teleport but still get hit by njp you are pressing buttons. ill try this set up a few times but after the first round , most get accustomed and then i get pretty much read 8/10 and im forced to stop.

a punish from this and i have to pretty much hold whatevers next ,

Last edited: