What's new

Who are the most Overrated and Underrated Characters in MKX?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Overrated:

Erron Black (he's amazing, but people have to realize the holes in his gameplan already)

Jax (he's great too, but he has tons of holes in his gameplan aswell. that and female characters automatically give him a harder time).

Underrated:

Kotal Kahn (I'll never understand how a character with tools like him could be considered anything but great. he's not slow, he's not unsafe, he is good)

Ferra/Torr

Kung Lao

Johnny

Shinnok

Any character that doesn't center around traditional 50/50 play.

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
In your opinion, which variation of Takeda's do you feel is most underrated?
Ronin obviously since no one uses it, but I think you could have some crazy shenanigans with that sword drop thing.

But his other two as well. People keep complaining that Takeda sucks, but he has everything he needs to keep characters without teleports or armored advancing moves out. 3/4 the screen oh/low mixups, teles into njps, crazy air control like wtf. How is that bad?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
There's far more underrated than over.

The only really overrated that comes to mind is Scorpion.

Underrate: Kitana, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Ferra Torr, Shinnok and Takeda

Yngvildr

Noob
I was at a live tournament in the Meltdown bar in Paris last month and they hadn't prepared the game so while the game patched in every character there were only Scorpion and Sub Zero available and the third to unlock was Kotal Kahn.

Everyone laughed saying he was useless and bottom tier and we'll replay the SZ/Scorpion rivalry all night. But a very brave man picked KotalK War God and zoned the heck out of the enemy Sub Zero and won.
I mean, he zoned Sub Zero Cryomancer out with the sword! I feel like Parisian MKX players underestimated KotalK greatly and my discussions with the other players told me it was because the poor performances of Blood God, but I seem to have read he was buffed so...

Anyway, KotalK War God is definitely one of my favourite variations. He's balanced, not bottom tier. Actually i Ithink there are just overpowered stuff on this game and no exceptionally weak characters that's very very good because it's easier to buff down stuff rather than throw them up in the air and realise they're flying way too high.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I can neither confirm nor deny this statement. I have yet to fight a hellfire where I didn't just block his run cancel strings until he ran out of stamina. Not scary to me. But I would be very interested seeing what hellfire can do at high level. It's probably one of the most, if not the most technical character in the game.
That's fifteen percent chip camage, yo!
Meterburn Trident rush is back, and meterless!
Hellfire's block strings are absolutely scary.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
The only way you'll enjoy this is if you're watching and not fighting against it.

Since I'm here I might as well follow the thread.

Overrated-

Sonya. She's good, but the Top 5 talk needs to stop. Punish her punishable normals and specials, make good reads against Covert Ops, very low damage in the other two. Sure she's low end Top 10, but surely not Top 5 with Raiden, QC, Scorpion, D'Vorah, Jin, Erron, and Jax running around.
I thought you were serious, but then I saw your username and avatar. :REO

wselak

Noob
i use quan chi and kotal khan.
overrated:
kung jin
scorpion
jason

underrated:
takeda
johnny cage
goro

Wigy

There it is...
Overrated: Inferno Scorpion is garbage. Why would anyone play this character? He literally announces everything that he is going to do and is only good on a poor connection. I guess the reason that people play him is because they can't be bothered to learn anything difficult.

Underrated: Hellfire Scorpion is miles ahead and for the guy who said "I just wait for him to run out of stamina", well, he's STILL at like a +5 advantage and can jump over your head once and have full stamina again and continue pressuring you while gaining tons of meter and chipping you away. You haven't played a good one yet; that's for sure. Usually if I catch someone trying to attack me the second I run out of stamina I EX Teleport into a full combo that leaves you standing for more pressure.

I have run into maybe two HF Scorpions ever. He has very high execution but once you learn it, it's muscle memory and you have the tools to deal with just about anything. His wakeups are lousy, but otherwise he's solid.
His cancels are not hard at all. Try raidens or Jax's hellfire scorpion is probably the most effective braindead character in the game.

His cancels are not hard at all. Try raidens or Jax's hellfire scorpion is probably the most effective braindead character in the game.
Oh trust me I agree. I can easily do Raiden's and Jax's so Scorpion's are brain dead. But try telling that to the rest of the community.

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
overrated: Erron Black, Raiden, Liu Kang (this one according to this site where Liu Kang exists in a universe where he isn't bottom 5)

Underrated: Jason, Kitana

Yoaks

A spaceman
Overrated: Kung Jin (Bojitsu), Scorpion (Inferno), Erron Black (Outlaw)

Underrated: Kotal Kahn, Liu Kang, Jax, Kano and F/T.