What's new

Who are the most Overrated and Underrated Characters in MKX?

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
after seeing Soup use Master of Storms Raiden i think hes hands down the most underated... I still feel like Shinnok can be Top Tier somehow if someone puts in enough time somthing will be found..

Wigy

There it is...
Thank you based Wigy. Your armchair critic-tailored words of wisdom now has me doing B12~FBRC~123 ten for ten online.

I do not consider myself a top player at all. After about 20 minutes in the lab with him i can finish all my combos with cancels till my stamina runs out every time pretty much.
Comparitively i think i've got raidens one off like 3 times ever, and jaxes is also pretty hard. Not to mention these characters don't get to do a full combo into it for like 50ish one bar.

I'm yet to see anybody convince me that scorpion is a difficult character to use.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I can neither confirm nor deny this statement. I have yet to fight a hellfire where I didn't just block his run cancel strings until he ran out of stamina. Not scary to me. But I would be very interested seeing what hellfire can do at high level. It's probably one of the most, if not the most technical character in the game.
After blocking and eating about 15% chip scorpion built a bar of meter and is at advantage. It's very strong even without trying to throw in a f2, throw or b3. I believe he's at +5 after the final dash cancel that can not be run canceled. You have the option of grabbing, any string, baiting armor and etc. I think after dealing 15% and buolding a bar this is a pretty good position for scorpion.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
after seeing Soup use Master of Storms Raiden i think hes hands down the most underated... I still feel like Shinnok can be Top Tier somehow if someone puts in enough time somthing will be found..
do you have any links? ive never seen anyone use MoS before

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I do not consider myself a top player at all. After about 20 minutes in the lab with him i can finish all my combos with cancels till my stamina runs out every time pretty much.
Comparitively i think i've got raidens one off like 3 times ever, and jaxes is also pretty hard. Not to mention these characters don't get to do a full combo into it for like 50ish one bar.

I'm yet to see anybody convince me that scorpion is a difficult character to use.
The lab and a real time competitive environment are two different things. It's one thing to find the sweet spot for something hard to pull off in practice mode, it's another to make sure you have it down in the heat of a tournament match optimally. On top of reliably hit-confirming and taking responsibility of the plus frames you do have on block (if any, when it comes to some lesser known FBRC strings). Banking on post-combo 214 FBRC blockstrings by themselves won't get you anywhere.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
The only way you'll enjoy this is if you're watching and not fighting against it.

Since I'm here I might as well follow the thread.

Overrated-

Sonya. She's good, but the Top 5 talk needs to stop. Punish her punishable normals and specials, make good reads against Covert Ops, very low damage in the other two. Sure she's low end Top 10, but surely not Top 5 with Raiden, QC, Scorpion, D'Vorah, Jin, Erron, and Jax running around.
I take it by "make good reads against Covert Ops", you mean guessing between low, overhead, or throw. Good luck with that.

--------------------------

Overrated: Erron Black (Outlaw)

Underrated: Sonya (Covert Ops), Kung Lao, Johnny Cage (Fisticuffs)

Outlaw Erron Black has many gaps, and nobody, not even the top players, are exploiting that. Covert Ops Sonya is the queen of the 50/50s, and she has an overhead parry that means 9-12% damage to the attacker, plus a divekick with just 8 frames of recovery. Imagine making it whiff, trying to punish afterwards, and not being able to. It's ridiculous, and it happened to me. Johnny Cage has very good pressure, and we all saw what Fisticuffs can do in the corner. Kung Lao doesn't have a low starter, and that doesn't mean he's not capable of completely destroying someone.

When I say "underrated", I'm not asking for nerfs; I just want people to acknowledge that those characters are very good.

Last edited:

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I don't think Takeda was underated. I think everybody agreed he was mid tier because of the issues he had before the patch. Post patch I think we can all agree he's going to become top 10. We're working on it. :)

Scoot Magee

This can be said about a lot of the best characters in the game. Who is really difficult to use? Usually that means they probably aren't that good unless you're talking about just execution.

Wigy

There it is...
This can be said about a lot of the best characters in the game. Who is really difficult to use? Usually that means they probably aren't that good unless you're talking about just execution.
No.
Taking purely about game terminology. MK9; kabal was probably second hardest execution wise and the best, by far.

Difficult to use and good are completely different categories.

Wigy

There it is...
The lab and a real time competitive environment are two different things. It's one thing to find the sweet spot for something hard to pull off in practice mode, it's another to make sure you have it down in the heat of a tournament match optimally. On top of reliably hit-confirming and taking responsibility of the plus frames you do have on block (if any, when it comes to some lesser known FBRC strings). Banking on post-combo 214 FBRC blockstrings by themselves won't get you anywhere.
I meant, after 20 minutes in the lab i could use him in game and online. (hes my counterpick for kano and jaqui)
I don't go to tournament as there isn't a huge scene in scotland but i go my local meetups etc, i can't really pretend i understand tournament pressure.

But i think if i can get the grasp of his most difficult tool in 20minutes and replicate it effectively in game, it can't be that bad. Kabals stuff too me forever, and as mentioned the other characters in this game have MUCH harder cancels.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
do you have any links? ive never seen anyone use MoS before
mmmmm ill see if I can find it but BRUH!!!!! M.O.S can use his lightning traps VERY similarly to Sub Zero and his clones... They are 1000000% not wack and very viable...

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I meant, after 20 minutes in the lab i could use him in game and online. (hes my counterpick for kano and jaqui)
I don't go to tournament as there isn't a huge scene in scotland but i go my local meetups etc, i can't really pretend i understand tournament pressure.

But i think if i can get the grasp of his most difficult tool in 20minutes and replicate it effectively in game, it can't be that bad. Kabals stuff too me forever, and as mentioned the other characters in this game have MUCH harder cancels.
Wut, Kabal's shit was essentially the same thing lol. You just had to be cautious of not going autopilot on some character's hitboxes with certain strings.

The only reason some characters may feel harder to apply it with is because not many people are familiar with variable cancel windows on both hit and block, it's been 2 months. Trust me, 214 FBRC is far from Scorpion's most difficult tool, nor do I think any other HF Scorp player is claiming that.

Scoot Magee

No.
Taking purely about game terminology. MK9; kabal was probably second hardest execution wise and the best, by far.

Difficult to use and good are completely different categories.
But that's basically what I said. Good characters are usually easier to win with, that's why they're good. Execution is really just something that with practice becomes muscle memory, even for characters like kabal. When able to use his tools correctly it essentially becomes easier to win.

I wouldn't call an easy execution character braindead just based on what they can preform with minimal practice. There's terrible characters in games where execution is barely needed and vice versa.

I'm essentially agreeing with your response. I just don't believe execution shoukd even be a factor when determining how good a character is. As long as it's humanly possible to do what's required to win practice will make it practical.

I got totally off track with my last post though because I'm skim reading and responding from my phone. I agree that scorpion is easy to use execution wise but he has to work to win.