What's new

What nuances with MKX have you come to like/dislike?

MK_GDROM

*Spit* No Charge

- Scorpions design
- Reptile's design (default)
- Variation system
- The Krypt
- Some people got their main back
- They gave Raiden his Deception costume
- Playback/Record Match feature
- Tutorial was better than MK9's imo
- You can block Interactable
- Takeda, Kotal Kahn
- Returning Characters
- Cassie Cage's old render
- Frame Data is finally in the game
- The idea of Factions
- They added run to the game
- How they handled Scorpion and Sub-Zero in the story
- Liu Kang isn't the "savior" for once
- Added AFK to KOTH
- Can practice in KOTH if your not next to fight
- Online Practice in MK
- No Kabal
- Can Neutral duck a lot of projectiles

Dislike

- Cassie Cage (Personality/Design) I feel she was too much like Sonya and Johnny and less like a unique character
- All of the new characters except Takeda, and Kotal Kahn. Imo they could of gone without Cassie, and Jacquie as they just seem like knockoffs of their parents.
- That WB nerfed the amount of Koins you get to entice Microtransactions
- No real Stage Fatalities
- No Konquest mode
- Netcode
- No Filtering options for connections in matchmaking queue
- Playback/Record match is broken (Can't watch the full online match replay without getting "Playback Data Does Not Agree". Also updates break your replays so you can't watch old footage ever again)
- Interactables added to game
- The amount of grinding it takes to unlock costumes/concept art/extras
- No cyber ninjas
- No playable Smoke, Reiko, Fujin, Frost, Shang Tsung, Noob, Li Mei, Havik, Hotaru, Rain
- Reptile is still a jobber, so is Ermac
- Johnny Cage is Shonen protagonist for what felt like the majority of the game
- It felt like Cassie Cage bodies Shinnok out of nowhere
- Story (direction it went, what they did with the new characters, jumping around with the time frame)
- Lack of Konquest
- Lack of costumes for the majority of the cast
- Some of the variations don't add as much change to the character as they led you to believe
- Test Your Might seemed impossible in this game (I'm looking at the last one)
- No friendships, Animatlities and only two fatalities
- Some character's brutalities are better than their fatalities
- Raiden's Second Fatalitiy
- Can't take a break on King Of The Hill if you're the winner
- KOTH points are glitched (When you eventually leave, you have a high chance for your points to disappear)
- In game frame data is incorrect
- Music, This might have the worst soundtrack for all the MK Main games (imo Deception and MKDA were the best)

Last edited:

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
So, it's been 3 weeks since MKX dropped. In that time, we've all been learning a lot about the game itself.

My question to everyone is this...what do you guys like and dislike about the little things about the game?
I went into more detail about this here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/mortal-kombat-x-first-impressions.50073/, but in short, I like character variations, the better character animations, the depth of the fighting gameplay, and how awesome Raiden looks now. I also like those little dialogs between opponents before a fight starts. Can't think of anything I dislike yet.

I'm quite fond of the almost neurotic attention to detail.

For example:

Erron Blacks fingers twitch when they're close to his gun.

All of the character time-out loss animations are actually really well done (D'Vorah's is hilarious)

When characters "block" a hit they react in a very realistic way. It's not like Tekken where your character just crosses their arms and blue sparks fly. Your character's arms actually absorb the hit and will be pushed in a way according to the hit.

Alot of people don't notice how good the blocking animations are, but the funny thing is a trailer for Street Fighter V was actually made highlighting this as a huge improvement (people actually thought they were the return of the Third Strike parry system). And here's Mortal Kombat, already has it a year before.

Last edited:

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King

- Scorpions design
- Reptile's design (default)
- Variation system
- The Krypt
- Some people got their main back
- They gave Raiden his Deception costume
- Playback/Record Match feature
- Tutorial was better than MK9's imo
- You can block Interactable
- Takeda, Kotal Kahn
- Returning Characters
- Cassie Cage's old render
- Frame Data is finally in the game
- The idea of Factions
- They added run to the game
- How they handled Scorpion and Sub-Zero in the story
- Liu Kang isn't the "savior" for once
- Added AFK to KOTH
- Can practice in KOTH if your not next to fight
- Online Practice in MK
- No Kabal
- Can Neutral duck a lot of projectiles

Dislike

- Cassie Cage (Personality/Design) I feel she was too much like Sonya and Johnny and less like a unique character
- All of the new characters except Takeda, and Kotal Kahn. Imo they could of gone without Cassie, and Jacquie as they just seem like knockoffs of their parents.
- That WB nerfed the amount of Koins you get to entice Microtransactions
- No real Stage Fatalities
- No Konquest mode
- Netcode
- No Filtering options for connections in matchmaking queue
- Playback/Record match is broken (Can't watch the full online match replay without getting "Playback Data Does Not Agree". Also updates break your replays so you can't watch old footage ever again)
- Interactables added to game
- The amount of grinding it takes to unlock costumes/concept art/extras
- No cyber ninjas
- No playable Smoke, Reiko, Fujin, Frost, Shang Tsung, Noob, Li Mei, Havik, Hotaru, Rain
- Reptile is still a jobber, so is Ermac
- Johnny Cage is Shonen protagonist for what felt like the majority of the game
- It felt like Cassie Cage bodies Shinnok out of nowhere
- Story (direction it went, what they did with the new characters, jumping around with the time frame)
- Lack of Konquest
- Lack of costumes for the majority of the cast
- Some of the variations don't add as much change to the character as they led you to believe
- Test Your Might seemed impossible in this game (I'm looking at the last one)
- No friendships, Animatlities and only two fatalities
- Some character's brutalities are better than their fatalities
- Raiden's Second Fatalitiy
- Can't take a break on King Of The Hill if you're the winner
- KOTH points are glitched (When you eventually leave, you have a high chance for your points to disappear)
- In game frame data is incorrect
TYM is easy. I had no problem clearly any of the levels.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I'm quite fond of the almost neurotic attention to detail.

For example:

Erron Blacks fingers twitch when they're close to his gun.

All of the character time-out loss animations are actually really well done (D'Vorah's is hilarious)

When characters "block" a hit they react in a very realistic way. It's not like Tekken where your character just crosses their arms and blue sparks fly. Your character's arms actually absorb the hit and will be pushed in a way according to the hit.

Alot of people don't notice how good the blocking animations are, but the funny thing is a trailer for Street Fgihter V was actually made highlighting this as a huge improvement (people actually thought they were the return of the Third Strike parry system). And here's Mortal Kombat, already has it a year before.
I was disappointed when it was revealed to not be a parry lol.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
inb450/50
You got me.

-Interractables aren't ridiculous unlike Injustice
-Krypt is cooler
-Run Cancels
-Soundtrack is good
-Stages look cool

Dislikes:
-Combo system designed to have NJPs
-50/50s (keep that in Injustice)
-FUCK AWFUL NETCODE
-No Challenge Tower. New Towers suck
-Meta designed to be rushdown-based
-Reptile talks. MK9 Reptile is the 2nd best design after the classics
-Johnny Cage's new voice actor. What happened to "HOOOOO!!!" after a nutpunch and "JOOOHNNY CAAAAGEE!" on EX flip?

MK_GDROM

*Spit* No Charge
You got me.

-Interractables aren't ridiculous unlike Injustice
-Krypt is cooler
-Run Cancels
-Soundtrack is good
-Stages look cool

Dislikes:
-Combo system designed to have NJPs
-50/50s (keep that in Injustice)
-FUCK AWFUL NETCODE
-No Challenge Tower. New Towers suck
-Meta designed to be rushdown-based
-Reptile talks. MK9 Reptile is the 2nd best design after the classics
-Johnny Cage's new voice actor. What happened to "HOOOOO!!!" after a nutpunch and "JOOOHNNY CAAAAGEE!" on EX flip?
I agreed with most of what you said minus soundtrack, combo system, 50/50's, and Reptile. You know the voice actor for Cage is the same as MK9?

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I dislike how the input buffer system works, and how you can do one thing in neutral but when you cancel it in a combo it no longer works. For example, pick D'Vorah and do d,f 1. Now do d,f 1~ block. Stagger the block so you don't get an ex move. When you do it also hold 1 and block. She will be holding her wasp. While doing that just tap f,f twice and she will instantly dash. If you now add the f,11 string in front of that and cancel into the df1. The instant dash no longer comes out.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I dislike how the input buffer system works, and how you can do one thing in neutral but when you cancel it in a combo it no longer works. For example, pick D'Vorah and do d,f 1. Now do d,f 1~ block. Stagger the block so you don't get an ex move. When you do it also hold 1 and block. She will be holding her wasp. While doing that just tap f,f twice and she will instantly dash. If you now add the f,11 string in front of that and cancel into the df1. The instant dash no longer comes out.
Do you have input shortcuts on?

D4G

Win At All Cost
How everyone with a command grab input of DBF cant be played to their full potential unless you're part of the 1% playing on hitbox...

#BanHitBoxes

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Do you have input shortcuts on?
Happens with both shortcuts on and off. The shortscuts modifer does not work in combos anyway. With shortcuts on d,df 1 is equal to d, f +1 in neutral but in a combo the modifier gets turned off and d,df 1 no longer equals d, f+1. Cancelled specials from block or hit have different cancel properties from specials done in neutral. It is an in game engine thing.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
TYM clearly has no idea what nuances are. Most of your replies have nothing to do with what the OP is asking. The net code is not a fucking nuance.
Thank you... I was reading through this like wtf is this "confirmed" levels of TYM English comprehension....
This is not a list your likes /dislikes... Its subtle differences.... Little things... But whatever...

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
I really like the roster. Of course you never like everyone for yourself, but I honestly don't feel there are "wasted slots" or character designs I'm annoyed by - except Mileena, I never liked her. So overall, the most likeable roster in a game in my book. Plus all the characters have been given a lot of attention to detail.

One the negative side, I have one specific nitpick. I simply can't get used to the timing of jump attacks. Having a njp in a combo was dead easy in MK9, but this time around I can't get them right. Similarly jump kicks gave me trouble when canceled into something (like Scorpion doing j3 into teleport), but I managed to get through that at least.

The online experience is disappointing. The lag isn't even the most frustrating thing about it (though the lag online does bother me too) - it's the matchmaking that's the worst part IMO. Searching for a ranked match takes forever and you have no control over who you end up fighting. And if you try searching through the rooms, most of the time the ping indicators are blank.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
Like - everything mileena

Dislike -
Bicycle kick
Non invincible wake ups
No good anti airs (seriously the best thing in mk9 were anti airs)
Njp arnt that good idk why
The armor can be broken with only 2 hits -_____-
Sonya & jhonny having a slot cause they irrelevant as fuck , could've been jade & smoke they were better choices why doesn't NRS LISTEN TO US WTF

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Backdashes having a lot of recovery, definitely not a way to whiff punish in some cases, just to way to regain space.
Lack of characters that should've been in this game and are not.
Erron not being able to use his Stetson on all variations.
Stetson hat is my biggest beef. Please patch Nrs

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
99% of online matches are laggy as hell, and 99.99% are against opponents who don't even know combos yet still manage to win, sometimes multiple times in a row! :O Injustice never had this problem, so idk what it is in MKX that a Scorpion in lag can teleport and then d2 and beat my standing 1 punish lawlz. OH and god forbid I wanted to learn a new character in player matches, I have to go through like 3,000 people before someone accepts because I have a nice w/l ratio. Even people who are like 567/122 won't accept like wtf

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I dislike;

1. The recovery of back dashing
2. Inputs that are db1f instead of dbf1
3. Netplay
4. Weak anti airs for some of the cast
5. The start up frames of some 50/50's makes it a guess

Outside of those things I like the game well enough. Hopefully they buff some AA's, work on the netcode, and make balance changes accordingly.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I agreed with most of what you said minus soundtrack, combo system, 50/50's, and Reptile. You know the voice actor for Cage is the same as MK9?
Really? Didn't bother to check. Anyways if this is his idea of an "older Johnny Cage" then I have to disagree. This voice actually sounds younger than MK9's. And less Johnny Cage-like