What's new

What nuances with MKX have you come to like/dislike?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So, it's been 3 weeks since MKX dropped. In that time, we've all been learning a lot about the game itself.

My question to everyone is this...what do you guys like and dislike about the little things about the game?

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
I'm not really a fan of the directional input buffering thing going on, but other than that, I love everything about this game. Except for the fact that there's no Smoke. The faction kill isn't enough.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Backdashes having a lot of recovery, definitely not a way to whiff punish in some cases, just to way to regain space.
Lack of characters that should've been in this game and are not.
Erron not being able to use his Stetson on all variations.

I like how it is possible to trade hits instead of just rewarding player 1.

I dislike the lack of a playable Baraka (though rumors seem to suggest it might happen some day).

And I absolutely hate the inputs for close and far versions of certain moves. Shang Tsung in MK9 had DU4 for close ground skulls, DB4 for middle ground skulls, and DF4 for far ground skulls. Sektor had DB3 for above missiles, DFB3 for above and in front missiles, and DBF3 for above and behind missiles. Now, we have to do something to the effect of DB4B or DB4F to get the close and far versions of moves. I really wish there was an alternate input option like there is for negative edge and diagonal inputs. I will never understand why NRS thought this was an improved input method.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
I dislike ranked matches & how long it actually takes to get into 1 (if you get 1 at all).

The % (what chance your opponent has of beating you), which is shown in the chatrooms is useless as well, Its hard to get a fight against ppl if you have a 98% chance of beating most of them. I've sat for ages looking a fight at times.

The PS4 pad is a bit annoying when trying to input the simplest directions (bf mainly).

Other than that, I'm really enjoying it, not as much as I enjoyed MK9, but itll get there eventually with the more I learn.

Error

DF2+R2
Neutral jump punches are the new B3 in combos

And I absolutely hate the inputs for close and far versions of certain moves. Shang Tsung in MK9 had DU4 for close ground skulls, DB4 for middle ground skulls, and DF4 for far ground skulls. Sektor had DB3 for above missiles, DFB3 for above and in front missiles, and DBF3 for above and behind missiles. Now, we have to do something to the effect of DB4B or DB4F to get the close and far versions of moves. I really wish there was an alternate input option like there is for negative edge and diagonal inputs. I will never understand why NRS thought this was an improved input method.
I HATED the inputs for multi-directional moves in MK9, so this is a huge improvement that started with Injustice. Having to do skull pressure with Shang, or landing far hell spike with Freddy was such a chore back then.

I HATED the inputs for multi-directional moves in MK9, so this is a huge improvement that started with Injustice. Having to do skull pressure with Shang, or landing far hell spike with Freddy was such a chore back then.
Fair enough, but I still think there should be an option to switch to the old method. I never had many problems doing that stuff in MK9. Maybe it was because I used an Arcade Stick? Is it ok for me to assume you are using pad?

-Pretty much all of the New Blood
-Gameplay in general
-Shinnok returning and getting some spotlight

Dislikes:
-Garbage, fuck awful netcode
-Catering to the casuals (they're apparently nerfing Punch Walk of all fucking things 'cause casuals can't grasp the concept of blocking/punishing? Seriously?)
-Kano
-Shinnok returning and being a glorified jobber
-Lackluster/rushed feeling second half of the Story
-Kung Lao/Sonya/Jax/Johnny having a slot

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
So, it's been 3 weeks since MKX dropped. In that time, we've all been learning a lot about the game itself.

My question to everyone is this...what do you guys like and dislike about the little things about the game?
It's always execution issues for me. And game balance but that's not really new or unique to mkx

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Doing neutral jump punches in a combo feels so damn good for some reason.

I do not like the visual indicators for variations at all. I'd rather play base Liu Kang and lose the overhead Bicycle Kick if it means I don't have to look at those hideous face tattoos.

Hades

Noob
Doing neutral jump punches in a combo feels so damn good for some reason.

I do not like the visual indicators for variations at all. I'd rather play base Liu Kang and lose the overhead Bicycle Kick if it means I don't have to look at those hideous face tattoos.
Haha he looks like a member of the mongrel mob with his face tattoos like that. He even does the mongrel mob gang sign as his sort of fighting stance before a match...

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I like:

Kano
Quan Chi

Dislike:

Armored teleports
50/50s on knockdown
D'Vorah.